We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

best romantic comedy ever?

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#1 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:57 AM

A lot of great titles here. One I enjoy that I have not seen listed is Blake Edwards' 10 (1979). A lot of people only remember it for Bo Derek running in slow motion on the beach, but overall the movie has a lot of depth. Just look at the 3 minute scene of Dudley Moore playing a Henry Mancini piano piece in one long take... gets me every time...

Dudley Moore and Peter Cook were such "fun" in Stanley Donen's "Bedazzled".

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#2 SleepyDogFilms

SleepyDogFilms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:12 PM

A lot of great titles here. One I enjoy that I have not seen listed is Blake Edwards' 10 (1979). A lot of people only remember it for Bo Derek running in slow motion on the beach, but overall the movie has a lot of depth. Just look at the 3 minute scene of Dudley Moore playing a Henry Mancini piano piece in one long take... gets me every time...

• rayban likes this

www.sleepydogfilmsusa.com

www.facebook.com/sleepydogfilmsusa

#3 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:12 PM

Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks did some good movies together, for example, Sleepless in Seattle (1993). And, although I usually cannot stand modern remakes of movies, their romantic comedy, You've got Mail (1998) was an enjoyable film!

• rayban likes this

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,102 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 03:53 AM

It Happened One Night (1934)

Roman Holiday (1953)

Sabrina (1954)

I don’t recall seeing My Man Godfrey – I am a sheltered child, I guess – so I can’t really put that one in the running.

Good list. Hopefully you've had a chance to see MY MAN GODFREY since 2014.

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#5 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 04:39 PM

I'd have to say Arthur (1981) hands down I just love that movie. The more times I see it, the more I like it. What are your thoughts, Hobson?

#6 CoraSmith

CoraSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:15 AM

1. The Apartment

2. Breakfast at Tiffany's

3. The Seven Year Itch

4. Cactus Flower

5. Barefoot in the Park

6. Some Like It Hot

7. When Harry Met Sally...

8. Ninotchka

9. His Girl Friday

10. Sabrina

#7 Notan

Notan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:27 PM

It Happened One Night (1934)

Roman Holiday (1953)

Sabrina (1954)

I don’t recall seeing My Man Godfrey – I am a sheltered child, I guess – so I can’t really put that one in the running.

#8 faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • LocationAlphaville

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:09 AM

The Awful Truth

#9 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,266 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:10 PM

I love My Man Godfrey, so that would be my choice.

But I have a very special love for "Double Wedding." It is so funny and sweet, and Powell and Loy are opposites attract to the extreme. It is just so silly and a fun movie. Certainly not the greatest film ever made, but so cute. 

My Man Godfrey would be my choice as well,  with Holiday second.   

#10 Asta

Asta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationDining at the Derby

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:44 PM

I love My Man Godfrey, so that would be my choice.

But I have a very special love for "Double Wedding." It is so funny and sweet, and Powell and Loy are opposites attract to the extreme. It is just so silly and a fun movie. Certainly not the greatest film ever made, but so cute. 

#11 mrroberts

mrroberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,614 posts
  • Locationpennsylvania

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:41 PM

A long while back (one of the first posts on this thread) , I chose *My Man Godfrey* . William Powell is my favorite actor and I just adore Carole Lombard in this ( so glad that Mr Powell was insistent that his ex wife get the part).

#12 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,307 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:09 AM

I enjoy "Sabrina" as well. In fact, tomorrow evening, I'm going to our local theater (an old theater from 1926 that's been restored) to see it.

Her costumes were beautiful. Although the dress she wears when she is invited to the Larrabee's party (the white dress with the big ballgown skirt and with the narrow straight skirt), I wish they would have picked one style or skirt or another. It is a beautiful dress though, Audrey looks regal. No wonder the men are enchanted by her.

My favorite part I think is, well of course the end, but aside from that, I love the scene where William Holden sits on the champagne glasses and Humphrey Bogart takes his place at the tennis court. I also love their dad. He's hilarious.

I think "Sabrina" is one of Billy Wilder's best films. I know Audrey Hepburn is most closely identified with "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and while I enjoy that film (with the exception of Mickey Rooney), I enjoy "Sabrina" just a little bit more. It's a shame that the real-life relationship between Audrey and Holden didn't work out, they made a good couple!

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#13 thisgirlfriday

thisgirlfriday

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationOrange County/Los Angeles

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

I absolutely love classic romantic comedies. I think the dialogue in those days was usually very witty and well, excellent. I can't choose just one. But I've always loved Sabrina. And I'm not sure why people aren't considering it a romantic comedy? I know the comedy is light, but I wouldn't know what else to call it. It's a romance. And there's definitely comedy there, thanks to Billy Wilder's excellent screenplay.
My favorite romantic comedies?
Sabrina
The Awful Truth
It Happened One Night
...and many others!!!

#14 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:03 PM

Lol. "Four's a Crowd" was a very entertaining movie. I actually find Olivia De Havilland slightly annoying in the film. Especially when she's laughing at Errol Flynn after he crawls out from underneath her bed and she starts laughing when this throaty sound. She's okay in other parts; but it's strange to see her acting kind of ditzy in this film when she had just appeared in "The Adventures of Robin Hood" acting regal and so ladylike.

Patric Knowles is my least favorite character in this film. He's so obnoxious, I don't see what either woman sees in him. The "**** coochie" call that he does to Olivia De Havilland is so ridiculous.

I agree that this film belongs to Rosalind Russell and Flynn. They make a great pair. Too bad this is their only film together.

My favorite part I think is when Errol is trying to talk to both Russell and De Havilland on the phone at the same time, making sure that the dates he makes with both don't conflict with one another.

I also like when Errol calls up Olivia saying "Wake up slug! It's your wedding day."

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#15 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,266 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:55 PM

Why am I not surprised you listed Four's a Crowd. I like this film also. Olivia is an airhead but she was so young and cute at this stage. But Flynn and Russell make the movie.

#16 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:28 AM

Rom-Com is a tricky genre. Done right, it can be a cute, fun, happy story that serves as a nice little escape from real life and makes you feel good afterward. However, there are many rom-coms done horribly, horribly wrong and you feel like you lost 100 IQ points just by subjecting yourself to it (Okay, maybe a slight exaggeration, but not too far off).

I find that a lot of my favorite "rom-coms" are guilty pleasures and may make a positive impact on me, but may drive the next person insane. Everyone's "Best of," "Greatest list of," lists are all subjective.

My favorites, in no particular order:

Clueless
10 Things I Hate About You
It Happened One Night
40 Year Old Virgin
Groundhog Day
Bringing Up Baby
The Philadelphia Story
The Princess Bride
The Wedding Singer
Roman Holiday
Four's a Crowd
Sabrina
Roman Holiday
How to Marry a Millionaire
Love Crazy

(I'm sure I could come up with more; but it's late and my brain is fried). It seems that the definition of "rom-com" is very loose with websites claiming everything from "Casablanca" to "American Pie" qualifies as a rom com. There's lots of "rom" in "Casablanca" but it's sparse on the "com."

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#17 johnbabe

johnbabe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:20 PM

Bringing up baby - nothing is funnier than that film!

#18 Aaronmiller13

Aaronmiller13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:48 PM

Hands down my favorite are the lady eve bringing up baby and ball of fire

#19 lanceroten

lanceroten

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

As with most genres I follow IMDB descriptions. They have Sabrina and My Man Godfrey as Comedy - Romance. Those would be 1 & 2 for me. Though I may not consider Sabrina a romantic - comedy. Just my opinion of course. I could see My Man Godfrey as a romantic-comedy however.

#20 GrigoryR

GrigoryR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

One of my favourite romcoms are Annie Hall and Breakfast at Tiffany's. i also like a Russian film about a romance over mobile phones, it's called Piter FM with some stunning sights of Saint Peterburgh. I'm a big fan of French romcoms such as Amelie and Potiche. being a romcom writer I dream one day to make my own film based on a book of mine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users