We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

best romantic comedy ever?

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#21 TheGrandMaster

TheGrandMaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

@JamesJazzGuitar- I certainly do. I don't consider The Apartment a romantic comedy either, but it technically fits the bill. I'm not an enormous fan of the romantic comedy genre in general, so it does make sense that my favorite would have a different sort of ending. :) Shop Around the Corner is probably my second favorite Rom-Com behind Roman Holiday, so there's a happy ending.

#22 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

Well you have a somewhat strange definition of romance! :)

As for The Apartment; as you note it is difficult to label this movie as a romantic comedy. While it does have both romance and comedy, it also has a dark side. So I just call it a Wilder movie (and a great one as well).

Roman Holiday is also a first rate movie, but of course a romantic comedy without a romantic ending. (duty trumping romance like in Casablanca).

What's your next favorite romantic comedy, Now Voyager!

#23 TheGrandMaster

TheGrandMaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

Either The Apartment (I'm not really sure I'd call it one, though) or Roman Holiday.

#24 crazyblonde7

crazyblonde7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

*HARD TO HANDLE-James Cagney and LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER- Steve Mcqueen and Natalie Wood*

#25 JaceyCarter

JaceyCarter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:19 AM

American Pie is one of the best romantic comedy movie ever because some scencs are too funny...

#26 movieman1957

movieman1957

Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,581 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis MD

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:51 AM

I enjoyed this one too. At first I wanted ot see it because George Burns was involved even though he did the narration. (I was realtively new to movies.) But Judy Holliday was quite a discovery at the time. I liked the fact that they were fairly normal people. Douglas looks like anybody, not particlulary handsome so it was nice to watch him in a romantic lead.

Nice to think one person could make a corporate difference as well.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. 

G. Marx.

#27 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

{font:Calibri}*The Solid Gold Cadillac*
{font}

{font:Times New Roman}These are charming mature people who prove love can come at any age. Judy Holliday and Paul Douglas had great chemistry on screen and if the plot went over the top at times-don’t most RCs- you kept on watching and rooting for them to make it. One enjoyable romp! {font}

#28 lanceroten

lanceroten

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:07 AM

Sabrina, if I can call it a Romantic Comedy. :) . Bogart, Holden, Audrey and Williams just set that one on a different level acting wise IMO.

#29 casablancalover

casablancalover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:31 PM

h4. Let's Call the Whole Thing Off
Agreed, James, That is why I used the however .. Lubitsch gives us the charming word play that prevents it from being too romantic. I think it equal parts. Lubitsch touch.

Bringing Up Baby I call screwball, for I really cannot attach the romance with our leads. The dog and the leopard keep getting in the way.

Po-tat-o / Po-ta-toe..

#30 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:03 PM

With regards to The Shop Around the Corner, isn't that more heavy on Rom than Com?

For example, compare it to Bringing Up Baby. That leans way more towards Com than Rom (of course some might say it is a screwball comedy and not even a romantic comedy,, frankly I don't believe these are two separate genres but that is a topic for another day!).

Shop is very sweet and light comedy and a great movie, but still to me more Rom than Com.

#31 casablancalover

casablancalover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:08 AM

I guess I like the Rom-coms that are heavy on the Com, light on the Rom; Preston Sturges did the best with the storylines, Miracle of Morgan's Creek, The Lady Eve, and Palm Beach Story. I just love Tovarich but that is far more comedy than romance..

My choice for best would be however, The Shop Around the Corner.

Edited by: casablancalover on Jan 17, 2012 1:08 AM

#32 Baker

Baker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:28 AM

My absolute favorite is IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT.

#33 mrroberts

mrroberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,614 posts
  • Locationpennsylvania

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:37 PM

I wouldn't mind striking out with someone like Rita, I should be so lucky. :) ---- Anyone out there just see *The Strawberry Blonde* ? Like to hear comments.

#34 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:04 PM

Yes, The Strawberry Blond is a great movie. I have an original Olivia promo still from the movie. Olivia really showed she had comic timing. This was another movie that help me determine what type of women I would be attactive to.

I had a girlfriend that was like the Rita character. After seeing this movie I realized that if one is going to be married that Rita type of character was NOT a good mate. Just because your friends might feel you are luckly in reality living with that type would be a nightmare. Thus I dump her and started looking for my Olivia.

#35 mrroberts

mrroberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,614 posts
  • Locationpennsylvania

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:32 PM

One of the best romantic comedies is on TCM on Monday, Oct 17th at 12:30 pm est, *The Strawberry Blonde*. A terrific cast including James Cagney, Olivia DeHavilland, Rita Hayworth, and a bunch of top Warners character actors. If you've never seen it, its a must see.

#36 thestick

thestick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:55 AM

I love It Happened One Night. It is one of my favorites because it looks like Gable and Colbert were having so much fun.

#37 flash70

flash70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:03 PM

My personal favorite is "Only The Lonely"...

#38 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:32 PM

I think someone has a thing for Cary Grant!

I don't think one can have too many Grant movies in a top ten list of romantic comedies. In fact you are missing Bringing Up Baby.

I would have added My Man Godfrey and It's Love I'm After (great movie with Leslie Howard, Bette Davis and Olivia DeHavilland that TCM showed in late May 2011), but we have many favorites in common.

#39 bwande

bwande

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:04 PM

How about

Rafter Romance
Comrade X
Navy Blues
Personal Property

#40 bwande

bwande

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:53 PM

I love the scene where she is talking about Plumbing and the Butler and Head Maid over hear Jennifer Jones saying " It just makes you want to roll your hose down your legs and crawl under the sink and Go Bang Bang Bang (as she sighs)". LOL TOO FUNNY.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users