We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Frankenstein's Daughter (1958)

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:39 PM

I'm a big boy.

#2 OllieTSB

OllieTSB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:31 PM

Oh noooo! Please - shhhh. Don't bait SCSU with another one of these!! I'm almost Twonky'd out, and I've finished Frank's Daughter-dom, too.

Fortunately, I DO have a cure for your villainy! I can always pull out Dr Jekyll & Sister Hyde (1971 w/Ralph Bates and Martine Beswick as those two) which SHOULD cure me of any idle curiosity, right?

And if that doesn't stop you, there's always the Tim Daly-Sean Young DR J & MS HYDE.

"Hide", in both cases, should be the operative word!

Now shhhh. Don't make me obsess about these awful films anymore!!

#3 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,583 posts
  • LocationThe French Riviera (in my dreams)

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:49 PM

Let's hope TCM runs Gloria Talbot (and John Agar!) in DAUGHTER OF DR. JEKYLL.

You'll love that one.

#4 OllieTSB

OllieTSB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:07 PM

BG, I really need to find that graphic of Yosemite Sam, staring at the camera with his sternest eyes, set in fierce rage, muttering, "I hate that rabbit" when I think about me sitting here, watching FRANK's DAUGHTER for a rainy morning. It's just too much fun to turn off, too unbelieveable to NOT watch. I hope you're happy! Grrrr...

And pardon me - SCSU's not getting eliminated from this blame game either! He's dredged up any number of horrid films for me to waste time watching (I won't even mention that I enjoy these).

Sick! Sick! Sick!

#5 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,583 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:23 PM

You know what I'd like to see at a drive-in right now?

MY BLOOD RUNS COLD and TWO ON A GUILLOTINE.

I mean, could it get any better, and with a double cheeseburger and fries in your hands?

#6 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,583 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:16 PM

I always wanted to live in the days when a cop would see two people kissing on a park bench or at "Lover's Lane" in their car, and tell them gruffly but kindly to "move along, now".

But, maybe not.

Nostalgia for the past can be so self-deceptive.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

#7 OllieTSB

OllieTSB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:14 AM

A month ago, I missed BG's comment that "*I feel deprived because I never went to a drive-in theatre, or fogged up any windows*, and I managed to miss commenting at the time.

There is one positive to the lack of Drive-In Fogged-Up-Windows syndrome: you've never fallen asleep as a 16- or 17-year old, then awakened at 4 a.m. and had to madly dash home to explain the innocence of back-seat dozing during horrible films. 'Tis not an easy thing to do.

What's that old saying, "'Tis better to have not fallen asleep at all, than explain why you were both at the drive-in instead of the promised library"?

Or is it, "You can't teach dead dogs new tricks"?

Or "It always gets darkest before it gets completely black"?

#8 HarryLong

HarryLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:50 PM

>>Whit Bissell, who apparently was in every film ever made<<
Only in the 1950s.
He took over harry Davenport's contract ...

#9 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,583 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:04 PM

> {quote:title=TripleHHH wrote:}{quote}
> They Saved Hitlers Brain - talk about wretched movies UGH !! I Just saw that a month ago

Sounds like it would be an interesting double bill with THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL, lol.

#10 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,583 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:01 PM

ROTFLMAO!

I love that commercial.

#11 nightwalker

nightwalker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:04 PM

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}
> You're right about "Special Date" -- I just saw "The Words Get Stuck In My Throat" and "Strange Pursuit" on YouTube.
>
> Any singing in THEY SAVED HITLER'S BRAIN?

Not really, but there is a scene set in a nightclub which features a few guys in sombreros singing in the background, not unlike those Swiffer commercials with the guys running around the house singing "Come back, baby, come back!" to the lady inside.

#12 TripleHHH

TripleHHH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:50 PM

They Saved Hitlers Brain - talk about wretched movies UGH !! I Just saw that a month ago

#13 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,583 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:44 PM

You're right about "Special Date" -- I just saw "The Words Get Stuck In My Throat" and "Strange Pursuit" on YouTube.

Any singing in THEY SAVED HITLER'S BRAIN?

#14 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,583 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:03 PM

For me, PLAN 9 AND FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER make a much more satisfying double bill than, say, THE AFRICAN QUEEN and SINGING IN THE RAIN.

I'm not sure which I saw first on Chiller Theatre back in the 60's.
I do remember I was actually a bit scared, or I should say, unsettled, with FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER when I watched it as a kid, but I recall laughing my head off at PLAN 9! It never frightened me in any way.

What IS it about lousy horror movies that fill me with such joy? Why don't I experience this same elation with many of the real classic movies that I also love?

I feel deprived because I never went to a drive-in theatre, or fogged up any windows, lol.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

#15 nightwalker

nightwalker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:59 AM

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> Ahh...memories...FILMFAX! I remember reading that too about Harry Thomas and the make-up mix up.

They're still around. The current issue has a cover story about THEY SAVED HITLER'S BRAIN(!) Now, there's a movie to reckon with.

> Well, 'walker, I take that exchange as the screenwriter's intent to show us just how screwed up (and frustrated) Oliver Frank was when it came to women.
>
> I mean, you just know this guy probably couldn't even get anything if he PAID for it.
>
> So I'm not too riled up in any feminist kind of way, lol.

He did seem to be rather unsuccessful in "procuring" female companionship for himself in this flick, didn't he?

>I'd LIKE to forget Special Date!

Aww, come on! It's a classic compared to, say, "Strange Pursuit" from THE HIDEOUS SUN DEMON or my personal favorite, "The Words Get Stuck In My Throat" from WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS.

#16 nightwalker

nightwalker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:53 AM

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}
> A very good choice for TCM Underground, as is FRANKENSTEIN 1970 (1958) and I WAS A TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN (1958).

Good choices, as would be BLOOD OF DRACULA, 1957, a distaff remake of I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF set in a girls' school.

#17 nightwalker

nightwalker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:50 AM

> {quote:title=scsu1975 wrote:}{quote}
> > {quote:title=nightwalker wrote:}{quote}
>
> > Does your girlfriend know how you long for the "good old days?"
>
> We joke about it. Actually, she has studied the brain in some detail, including dissecting one, as part of her research. Hopefully, she is not setting me up to be Frankenstein's Long Lost Italian Relative.

No, that would be Paul Whiteman, "the Creature" in LA FIGLIA DI FRANKENSTEIN, aka LADY FRANKENSTEIN, 1971, another prime candidate for TCM Underground.

#18 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:57 AM

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}
> A very good choice for TCM Underground, as is FRANKENSTEIN 1970 (1958) and I WAS A TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN (1958).

I agree wholeheartedly. Haven't seen those in a looonnnnggggggggg time.

I was surprised to find out that Mike Lane was in Frankenstein 1970; he's better known as the South American boxer in The Harder They Fall.

I love Phyllis Coates from her "Superman" gig as Lois Lane, so it's always fun to see her in a movie like Teenage Frankenstein, especially paired with Whit Bissell, who apparently was in every film ever made.

A better trifecta might be I Was A Teenage Frankenstein ( Werewolf, Monster ). They're all good in their own bad ways.

I'm a big boy.

#19 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:53 AM

> {quote:title=nightwalker wrote:}{quote}

> Does your girlfriend know how you long for the "good old days?"

We joke about it. Actually, she has studied the brain in some detail, including dissecting one, as part of her research. Hopefully, she is not setting me up to be Frankenstein's Long Lost Italian Relative.

I'm a big boy.

#20 OllieTSB

OllieTSB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:34 AM

BG, your favorable comments about PLAN 9 ("a certain pristine ineptness") are the reasons I have elevated it far away from the Bad Film category it is often lumped in. At least those participants make me willing to watch certain scenes, or even just let it play on and on.

F's DAUGHTER has some of this because it's SO bad in so many places. I'm not sure that my PLAN 9 fandom doesn't also result from the marketing hype, whereas F'S DAUGHTER has received none of that (nor deserves it).

I, for one, will throw in with SCSU about F'S FIRST COUSIN REMOVED not arriving at our local drive-in's in a timely fashion. Drive-ins need a few films where fogging-up-the-windows is actually a GOOD thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users