We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Musicals that DESPERATELY need to be remade...

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,529 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:54 PM

I chuckled a bit at the notion of West Side Story being wildly original. It was well done, but it was an adaptation of a stage show that itself was a musical remake of a 400 year old Shakespeare play that had previously been filmed multiple times.

I'm also surprised no one has mentioned yet the news about the latest remake of A Star is Born, this time to star Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper. This appears to be the same script that Clint Eastwood was going to film a couple of years ago, with Beyonce in the lead, along with Cooper, but Clint dropped out when Beyonce did, and Cooper is apparently directing now.

And James, I would love to see that info as well. I don't think people realize how many remakes have always been released by Hollywood, as well as multiple films with similar storylines or situations, often in the same weeks or months. The same with trends in regards to literary adaptations. There were years with too many Tennessee Williams films, and too many Love Story style love stories, or too many Grisham-esque legal thrillers, or hard-boiled detectives, etc etc. It's cyclical. It's perhaps more off-putting at the moment, since the trends are superheroes and YA SF & fantasy, but that's the ticket-buying market at the moment, too. It will take one or two big hits in another direction and we'll be on to the next over-exposed trend.

Well said.   Yea,  I also understand the off-putting effect at the moment with the superheroes etc.. .but as you note that is just a current trend.

Get-TV has been focusing on the crime \ detective type serials of the 40s.   I didn't know there were so many of them.  They appear to have been a big part of Columbia's output during the decade;  e.g.  Lone Wolf,   Boston B-L-A-C-K-I-E,  and The Crime Doctors.   There are around 35 films from these 3 serials alone.    

Yea, to view the movie release of West Side Story as an original work is kind of out there.

A Star is Born is sound source material.    Why not let a new 'team' use this sound source material and make a movie.    Where I think people get confused is that many interpret that in a way like 'Lady Gaga is no Judy Garland'.    I just don't look at it in this way.    Instead I see folks that recognizes a great story and wish to tell that story from their own POV.     Gaga has a great version of Check to Check with Tony Bennett.   That doesn't mean she is saying she is Ella!    Instead she is just honoring a great song and a previous era.   To me that is showing respect and not disrespect like so many 'old timers' assume.

#22 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,159 posts
  • LocationThe Wild Frontier

Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:44 PM

I chuckled a bit at the notion of West Side Story being wildly original. It was well done, but it was an adaptation of a stage show that itself was a musical remake of a 400 year old Shakespeare play that had previously been filmed multiple times.

I'm also surprised no one has mentioned yet the news about the latest remake of A Star is Born, this time to star Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper. This appears to be the same script that Clint Eastwood was going to film a couple of years ago, with Beyonce in the lead, along with Cooper, but Clint dropped out when Beyonce did, and Cooper is apparently directing now.

And James, I would love to see that info as well. I don't think people realize how many remakes have always been released by Hollywood, as well as multiple films with similar storylines or situations, often in the same weeks or months. The same with trends in regards to literary adaptations. There were years with too many Tennessee Williams films, and too many Love Story style love stories, or too many Grisham-esque legal thrillers, or hard-boiled detectives, etc etc. It's cyclical. It's perhaps more off-putting at the moment, since the trends are superheroes and YA SF & fantasy, but that's the ticket-buying market at the moment, too. It will take one or two big hits in another direction and we'll be on to the next over-exposed trend.

• TopBilled likes this

#23 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,529 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:26 AM

:D

Now that's true. But it's always been true. 

It would be interesting to see an actual study that charted Hollywood film releases over the last 5 or so decades and classified films into certain categories and provided the percentages of films in those categories.

The categories could  be 'based on original work,  never filmed before',  based on original work,  filmed before',  or 'a sequel \ prequel' etc..     

I was about to give the same reply of 'it's always been true'.    Some actual data to crew on would be interesting to me.  

Take 'based on original work,  never filmed before';   well if a book was written in 1980,  of course no film of that book could have been made before 1980.    Has the percentage in this category drastically changed over the years?     Many people assume so but I wonder.

• Kid Dabb, TopBilled and LawrenceA like this

#24 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

Calling Barranca. Calling Barranca.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:51 AM

Meh.  More than anything, it shows how bereft of originality Hollywood is.

:D

Now that's true. But it's always been true. 

FdX2C0H.gif

#25 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 05:32 PM

I believe one purpose of remaking a great film such as West Side Story is not to make a good film, or a good film better, but to bring a good story up to date with today's social mores and preferences. Essentially, provide something with which our young adults can more easily relate.

I would imagine everyone looking like people in today's society as well as using current popular song material. How many times has Romeo and Juliet been adapted or remade - with good results in many cases.. It's a timeless story.

That's just my imagination... I would not be interested in a remake either.

Meh.  More than anything, it shows how bereft of originality Hollywood is.

#26 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,529 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 June 2016 - 02:32 PM

Sadly enough, Steve Spielberg has shown an interest in doing a re-make of the original 1961 film, West Side Story.   Fox has unlocked it for him to do so.  I sincerely hope that the plug gets pulled on this idea and that West Side Story never gets re-made, because it would just cut the heart and soul right out of this film.  If Steve Spielberg has as much affection for this great film as he claims to have, he'll leave well enough alone and not mess with a classic.  I wrote him a letter and told him all my reasons that I think West Side Story should not be re-made.  I didn't get an answer to my letter from Spielberg, but I at least made my opinion known to him, and told him exactly how I felt.

Remakes always bring more attention to the original.   I would think that those that love the 1961 version would want more people to view the film.      A remake of the film would lead to that.

• TopBilled likes this

#27 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

Calling Barranca. Calling Barranca.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:33 AM

I believe one purpose of remaking a great film such as West Side Story is not to make a good film, or a good film better, but to bring a good story up to date with today's social mores and preferences. Essentially, provide something with which our young adults can more easily relate.

I would imagine everyone looking like people in today's society as well as using current popular song material. How many times has Romeo and Juliet been adapted or remade - with good results in many cases.. It's a timeless story.

That's just my imagination... I would not be interested in a remake either.

FdX2C0H.gif

#28 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:22 PM

Sadly enough, Steve Spielberg has shown an interest in doing a re-make of the original 1961 film, West Side Story.   Fox has unlocked it for him to do so.  I sincerely hope that the plug gets pulled on this idea and that West Side Story never gets re-made, because it would just cut the heart and soul right out of this film.  If Steve Spielberg has as much affection for this great film as he claims to have, he'll leave well enough alone and not mess with a classic.  I wrote him a letter and told him all my reasons that I think West Side Story should not be re-made.  I didn't get an answer to my letter from Spielberg, but I at least made my opinion known to him, and told him exactly how I felt.

If ever there was a film that required no remake, it's the superb WEST SIDE STORY.  Spielberg imagines he's a better director than he is.  There is no shortage of poorly made film versions of Broadway shows that could stand to be remade (A CHORUS LINE, ANNIE, MAN OF LA MANCHA and others), or how about Broadway shows that were never made into a film (CARNIVAL!, RAGTIME, PROMISES, PROMISES and many others)?  Why waste time on a perfectly made classic film?  It will bomb, that's for sure.

#29 miki

miki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA U. S. A.

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:05 PM

Yes, it's true, I may have missed out on some good stuff, up to now. But if it's good enough, I imagine I'll get around to it eventually. One that I believe was made for TV or cable was a recent version of "Porgy and Bess". From what I have read, it might be better than Otto Preminger's theatrical version. In any case, I do hope to watch whichever one of the two is the better one, eventually.

Hollywood has clearly run out of creative ideas, which is why there are so many re-makes and sequels of films going on these days.  It's quite sad, indeed!

#30 miki

miki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA U. S. A.

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:00 PM

Know how, though Hollywood has made fantastic adaptations of Broadway musicals, they have made some that need to be tried again.

ATTENTION HOLLYWOOD: PLease remake these musicals:

Guys and Dolls (with SINGERS this time, and a screenplay that doesn't stink)
Camelot (with, again, a SINGING Guenivere, and not so 70s)
South Pacific (Mitzi Gaynor---ick---and those filters and the cheezy acting--it's the director's fault)

Anyone else?

#31 Im4movies2

Im4movies2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:47 PM

IRMA LA DUCE had all the songs dropped and heard only as background to the action.  It would be great to hear those songs actually sung in a remake.  Also for FANNY, same thing.  Whatever the critics hated about CHORUS LINE they should heed the remarks and do it over.  The songs were smashing.

#32 Im4movies2

Im4movies2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:37 PM

ANYTHING GOES.  The 1930's version kept the story and threw out half the score.  The 1950's version kept more of the score but threw out the original story.  Maybe a third time they'll get it right.  By the way I did suggest here to remake ANNIE and someone did.  I've heard mixed reviews so far.

#33 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

I agree with your comment but what are the odds Nanette could be made today and be a 'proper film version'?

A lot of good music and I play many of those songs but is there an audience for that music today?    Not likely.

Would a Nanette version with the songs done to a hip-hop beat be proper?    I only ask because if the film was remade today that might be the direction the producers take.

and it would flop.  Of course, it would probably flop, either way.  Look at JERSEY BOYS.  Even the couple that were moderately successful in the past 20 years, were just that, moderately successful.  Besides not being able to make a musical today (nobody knows how to keep a shot for longer than 3 seconds), people just don't have much interest in them.

#34 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,529 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

NANETTE is a great musical that has never had a proper film version.

I agree with your comment but what are the odds Nanette could be made today and be a 'proper film version'?

A lot of good music and I play many of those songs but is there an audience for that music today?    Not likely.

Would a Nanette version with the songs done to a hip-hop beat be proper?    I only ask because if the film was remade today that might be the direction the producers take.

#35 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:54 AM

"No No Nanette" was a pretty good musical and could stand to be re-made. There were filmed versions in 1930 and again in 1940 but they were both terrible. The best take on it I've seen was "Tea For Two" but that couldv'e been better also. It's got a good set of enjoyable songs in it ...

NANETTE is a great musical that has never had a proper film version.

#36 precoder

precoder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:22 PM

"No No Nanette" was a pretty good musical and could stand to be re-made. There were filmed versions in 1930 and again in 1940 but they were both terrible. The best take on it I've seen was "Tea For Two" but that couldv'e been better also. It's got a good set of enjoyable songs in it ...
  • johnm001 likes this

#37 Im4movies2

Im4movies2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:09 PM

Porgy and Bess should be remade with today's sensibility's towards race without giving in too much to historic accuracy. The role Pear Baily played could be done now grandly by Queen Latifa. Vanesa Williams as Bess, Denzel Washington as Porgy and Eddie Murphy as Sportin Life.

#38 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:28 PM

Hathaway's breath control would not be an issue, at all, in a recording studio.

#39 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

Wocka Wocka Wocka!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:24 PM

I saw Anne Hathaway at the Hollywood Bowl and I was impressed, but I hope she's taken a few lessons since then (her breathing needed a little work, that's all), and she'd be great. and I hate keira knightley's guts--she isn't a good actress--so I hope it's not true, alas. anne would be a much better choice.

#40 HollywoodGolightly

HollywoodGolightly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,233 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:28 PM

I think Hathaway would be a _far_ more charismatic Eliza Doolittle than Keira Knightley, who is rumored to have got the part. Keira is a good actress, but not as expressive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users