We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Musicals that DESPERATELY need to be remade...

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:22 PM

She would also be my first choice for Eliza in *My Fair Lady*. Perhaps they should just do the trilogy with Hathaway as Fiona, Eliza and Guinevere!

#42 filmlover81

filmlover81

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:55 AM

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}
> > {quote:title=filmlover81 wrote:}{quote}
> > For the role of Tommy Albright the obvious choice would be Hugh Jackman but what about Robert Downey Jr he can sing too and I'm sure he could easily do some dancing.
> >
> > For the role of Fiona Campbell part a Scottish or Britsh actress would be ideal but if they had to cast an American I was thinking maybe Anne Hathaway.
> >
> > For the role of Charlie Dalrymple either James McAvoy or Ewan McGregor maybe even get a part for both of them.
>
> I like your choices, Nina! And didn't Anne Hathaway do a decent English accent in Becoming Jane ? I think she could probably do an acceptable job with a Scottish accent. ;)

Yes she did that was why I thought of her as I'm sure her Scottish accent would be just as good and we know that she can sing too after her performance with Hugh Jackman at the Oscars.

#43 HollywoodGolightly

HollywoodGolightly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,233 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:04 AM

> {quote:title=filmlover81 wrote:}{quote}
> For the role of Tommy Albright the obvious choice would be Hugh Jackman but what about Robert Downey Jr he can sing too and I'm sure he could easily do some dancing.
>
> For the role of Fiona Campbell part a Scottish or Britsh actress would be ideal but if they had to cast an American I was thinking maybe Anne Hathaway.
>
> For the role of Charlie Dalrymple either James McAvoy or Ewan McGregor maybe even get a part for both of them.

I like your choices, Nina! And didn't Anne Hathaway do a decent English accent in Becoming Jane ? I think she could probably do an acceptable job with a Scottish accent. ;)

#44 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:59 PM

Every Lerner & Lowe Broadway musical needs to be remade. They were all horribly done on film.

#45 filmlover81

filmlover81

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:14 PM

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}
> > {quote:title=filmlover81 wrote:}{quote}
> > The musicals I think they should consider remaking is Brigadoon but only if it is filmed in Scotland.
> >
> > Nina x
>
> Nina, glad to see you here! :)
>
> I think you're absolutely right - a version of Brigadoon set in Scotland would be very appealing to me, too. But I wonder who they'd cast in it. ;)

Thanks glad to be here :)

For the role of Tommy Albright the obvious choice would be Hugh Jackman but what about Robert Downey Jr he can sing too and I'm sure he could easily do some dancing.

For the role of Fiona Campbell part a Scottish or Britsh actress would be ideal but if they had to cast an American I was thinking maybe Anne Hathaway.

For the role of Charlie Dalrymple either James McAvoy or Ewan McGregor maybe even get a part for both of them.

#46 HollywoodGolightly

HollywoodGolightly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,233 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 02:11 AM

> {quote:title=filmlover81 wrote:}{quote}
> The musicals I think they should consider remaking is Brigadoon but only if it is filmed in Scotland.
>
> Nina x

Nina, glad to see you here! :)

I think you're absolutely right - a version of Brigadoon set in Scotland would be very appealing to me, too. But I wonder who they'd cast in it. ;)

#47 filmlover81

filmlover81

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:58 PM

The musicals I think they should consider remaking is Brigadoon but only if it is filmed in Scotland.

Nina x

#48 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

Wocka Wocka Wocka!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,644 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 02 May 2009 - 03:15 PM

I think he has a very strong singing voice (based on him in Oklahoma and hosting the Tony's), and I personally think it's strong enough for Billy, but I guess it's not as operatic as Gordon's, so I can see what you mean.

#49 AlbertCD

AlbertCD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:25 PM

I think Hugh Jackman is totally wrong for the role of Billy. It needs an actor with a very strong singing voice, and Jackman just isn't a great singer.

#50 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

Wocka Wocka Wocka!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,644 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:41 PM

In an article in my local paper, the Los Angeles Times, Hugh Jackman mentioned he was trying to get a movie going: "Carousel". I thought, yay!! Hugh is a perfect Billy Bigelow and that movie desperately needs to be remade (the cast was great, but the film is sorely lacking to stand up to the material). How do y'all feel about this? Here's the cast I came up with:

CAROUSEL
Billy: Hugh Jackman
Julie: Kelli O'Hara
Carrie: Audra McDonald (she did in on Broadway already, but she might be too old now, and movies might not be that kind to color blind casting)
Mr Snow: Brian Stokes Mitchell (not sure about this, but I couldn't think of anyone else)
the "you'll never walk alone" chick (forgot her name): Marin Mazzie

#51 ChipHeartsMovies

ChipHeartsMovies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:21 PM

I saw it on Broadway, and it was one of the best productions of a musical on Broadway in years. I've seen many productions (Tyne Daly, Bernadette Peters on Broadway) and this one blew them out of the water. Not only was Patti LuPone fantastic, but every other character was played beautifully. (Many productions have weak supporting characters as Mama Rose overshadows them into oblivion).

The show closed in January, but for those who missed it: The Library of the Performing Arts in NYC has a collection of tapes/dvds of virtually every show produced on Broadway since the early 1970's. They are professionally taped especially for the archive.

You can just call and make an appointment to view the show of your choice. You arrive, sign in (they ask why you want to see the show; say "research"), and they take you to a private booth or carrell, pop in the dvd, hand you the earphones, and away you go. Absolutely free.

This is one of those amazing resources that few people (even in NYC) know about.

#52 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

Wocka Wocka Wocka!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,644 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:12 PM

No, I didn't see it on Broadway, having never been there, but I saw it on the Tonys and was blown away.

#53 EvePeabody

EvePeabody

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:25 PM

> {quote:title=LonesomePolecat wrote:}{quote}
> well, I liked the TV gypsy. ANd I completely agree--nothing can come close to the original strippers. But I'd much rather they remake it with the recent broadway cast.

Did you watch it recently? (On Broadway, I mean).

#54 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:45 PM

> well, I liked the TV gypsy. ANd I completely agree--nothing can come close to the original strippers. But I'd much rather they remake it with the recent broadway cast.

NOW you're talkin'!

#55 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

Wocka Wocka Wocka!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,644 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:55 PM

well, I liked the TV gypsy. ANd I completely agree--nothing can come close to the original strippers. But I'd much rather they remake it with the recent broadway cast.

#56 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:40 PM

Really? I hate the TV version of *Gypsy*. Yes, it is a more complete version of the musical, but I find it lifeless and dull. I love the 1962 theatrical film version. Nothing lifeless or dull about it. And, you just cannot beat the three strippers in that film. Nobody comes close! I do love Cynthia Gibb in the TV movie, though.

#57 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

Wocka Wocka Wocka!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,644 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:35 PM

I forgot about the TV Gypsy--that one's really good--in my opinion, better than the original film, but that's because I love anything Ed Asner does. :)

I don't blame the person that wants Camelot and La Mancha to jsut go away---I like to pretend the movies never happened, myself, and just listen to the broadway recordings.

#58 moviefan1951

moviefan1951

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:56 AM

> TV's Annie was indeed very good, as was the Bette Midler Gypsy done for TV.

I should really add those to my list as well, I guess.

As for "Jesus Christ Superstar", there was a new version made around 2000 that apparently was straight to DVD, it's a bit more cutting-edge than the 1973 Norman Jewison film. I like both of them, but the more recent one is, well, edgier.

#59 ChipHeartsMovies

ChipHeartsMovies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:46 PM

TV's *Annie* was indeed very good, as was the Bette Midler *Gypsy* done for TV.

Many of the musicals mentioned repeatedly, *Man of LaMancha, Camelot* in particular, are among my all-time least favorite. I don't want them to be remade, I just want them to go away.

*South Pacific* and *My Fair Lady* are better examples in my book. The source shows themselves are excellent, and both come across as bloated and leaden (to me)onscreen in their original attempts.

*Godspell* and *Jesus Christ Superstar* might also benefit from a remake. While neither is actually bad ( *Godspell* holds up surprisingly well --- and I defy you not to be devastated when they do the musical number on top of the World Trade Center, it made _this_ New Yorker cry), they are very much "of the 70's." Again, the music is great in both shows. And one of the interesting things about *Godspell* is that the original theatrical musical has absolutely no staging instructions, so a remake could be completely original while remaining true to the source.

#60 SilentVamp

SilentVamp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationBrew City

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:25 PM

> Let's just recast Man of La Mancha;
>
> QUIXOTE- Brian Stokes Mitchell
> SANCHO- Mandy Patinkin
> ALDONZA- Audra McDonald.

Ooh, yes, that would be an excellent cast for "Man of La Mancha". It would be nice to get someone who has experience as Don Quixote, too. I saw Brian in concert about 2 1/2 years ago, and he was magnificent. He, naturally, saved "The Impossible Dream" for his encore, and it was perfect.

I am actually all for a remake of "Camelot". I didn't like the film version at all. This is one of my favorite Broadway shows, and the film is such a major disappointment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users