We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Musicals that DESPERATELY need to be remade...

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

Wocka Wocka Wocka!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,644 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:16 PM

Let's just recast Man of La Mancha;

QUIXOTE- Brian Stokes Mitchell
SANCHO- Mandy Patinkin
ALDONZA- Audra McDonald.

#62 moviefan1951

moviefan1951

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:14 PM

>I 100% agree about remking Man of La Mancha---with SINGERS this time. It reminds me of the Pinky and the Brain parody of Man of La Mancha.

I am not familiar with Pinky and the Brain, but in any event, it was rather sad to see such charismatic actors as O'Toole and Sophia Loren stuck in such a joyless effort. They deserved better, and so did audiences.

Hopefully, a new version of this great musical is not an impossible dream. ;)

#63 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:10 PM

It was excellent!

#64 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

Wocka Wocka Wocka!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,644 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:56 PM

Speaking of South Pacific, I saw it at the Hollywood Bowl with most of the same cast as was in the concert at carnegie hall---Brian Stokes Mitchell and Reba McIntyre. The video of that concert is the best version on film. (When a concert upstages you, that's sad). But I recommend it.

sample

#65 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:11 PM

> {quote:title=Terrence1 wrote:}{quote}
> I also did not realize that "South Pacific" had been remade. Perhaps you were thinking of a TV version a few seasons ago with Glenn Close?
>
> Terrence.

Huh? "Perhaps"? I *said* it was the TV version with Glenn Close. I even included a photo!! Just because a film is made for television, doesn't negate it as a film. It's still a film. In fact, it was shown in theaters, in other countries. It's remains a remake of the original film, regardless where it was shown.

As for Harry Connick singing Rodgers and Hammerstein, I thought he was awful. He was the one thing I thought would be good, and I didn't like him at all. I'll stick with John Kerr being dubbed by Bill Lee.

#66 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

Wocka Wocka Wocka!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,644 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:01 PM

I 100% agree about remking Man of La Mancha---with SINGERS this time. It reminds me of the Pinky and the Brain parody of Man of La Mancha.

Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
I think so, Brain, but why would Sophia Loren want to do a musical?
A worthy canundrum, Pinky.

I also agree that some of the best musicals to be made were on TV. The TV version of Annie was a far better film than the original, which had the planet's worst Annie. Even though the film's cast was better it dragged and was miserable to watch. I also greatly enjoyed the recent TV "Once Upon a Mattress", though they cut too many things.

And though I would agree that the TV version of South Pacific was terrible, it wasn't terrible on every level--Harry Connick Jr singing R&H songs was great. But other than that...... shudder.....

#67 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,306 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:59 PM

I also did not realize that "South Pacific" had been remade. Perhaps you were thinking of a TV version a few seasons ago with Glenn Close?

Terrence.

#68 MrHoneywell

MrHoneywell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:41 AM

{...}

Message was edited by: TCMWebAdmin
Personal Attack

#69 moviefan1951

moviefan1951

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:31 AM

You might be right about that. However right now I don't care about how much of an accomplishment it is. I'd just rather watch the better version before the weaker adaptation. Maybe after I've watched both of them I'd be more inclined to discuss the actual accomplishment or lack thereof.

#70 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:28 PM

As Otto Preminger's theatrical film version is one of the worst films ever made, making a better one isn't that much of an accomplishment.

#71 moviefan1951

moviefan1951

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:26 PM

Yes, it's true, I may have missed out on some good stuff, up to now. But if it's good enough, I imagine I'll get around to it eventually. One that I believe was made for TV or cable was a recent version of "Porgy and Bess". From what I have read, it might be better than Otto Preminger's theatrical version. In any case, I do hope to watch whichever one of the two is the better one, eventually.

#72 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:15 PM

Then you've missed out on some of the finest films ever made. SOUTH PACIFIC isn't one of them. I make no differentiation, because of venue. Most of the worst films I've ever seen were in a theater.

#73 moviefan1951

moviefan1951

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:07 PM

Ah, it doesn't look like a theatrical release. No wonder - I tend to avoid made for TV/cable musicals, even when they're supposed to be good.

#74 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:30 PM

In 2001. If you missed it, consider yourself lucky. It's horrible, on every possible level.

Photobucket

#75 moviefan1951

moviefan1951

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:02 PM

They remade *South Pacific* ? Really? When was that? I missed it.

I do agree on *Camelot*, which really should have been better. The same for *Man of La Mancha*, which just didn't do justice to the stage musical.

A long time ago, they were talking about an animated adaptation of *Cats*, a project which I guess was abandoned when they put out a DVD of the Broadway version. I do wish they'd reconsider making it as an animated movie.

#76 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:18 PM

They already remade *South Pacific*, and it is so horrible, it makes the original film look like the greatest movie ever made.

There's been some talk of remaking *My Fair Lady*, and I welcome that. I hate the original film, for all sorts of reasons.

#77 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

Wocka Wocka Wocka!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,644 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:47 PM

Know how, though Hollywood has made fantastic adaptations of Broadway musicals, they have made some that need to be tried again.

ATTENTION HOLLYWOOD: PLease remake these musicals:

Guys and Dolls (with SINGERS this time, and a screenplay that doesn't stink)
Camelot (with, again, a SINGING Guenivere, and not so 70s)
South Pacific (Mitzi Gaynor---ick---and those filters and the cheezy acting--it's the director's fault)

Anyone else?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users