We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Warner Archives Discussion

• Please log in to reply
1006 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:41 AM

Warner Brothers is releasing a bunch of MOD Bette Davis movies on 8/23.

All This, and Heaven Too

The Great Lie

In This Our Life

The Man Who Came to Dinner

The Letter

Dead Ringer

I'm especially excited about The Letter.  I've been looking for a copy of this film forever.  Now, it'll be much easier to obtain.

If this had been Paramount, a Bette Davis glamour collection would have been released eons ago. Oh wait, I guess we don't associate Bette with glamour, do we..?

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,613 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:26 PM

Warner Brothers is releasing a bunch of MOD Bette Davis movies on 8/23.

All This, and Heaven Too

The Great Lie

In This Our Life

The Man Who Came to Dinner

The Letter

Dead Ringer

I'm especially excited about The Letter.  I've been looking for a copy of this film forever.  Now, it'll be much easier to obtain.

• LawrenceA likes this

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#3 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:12 PM

Act One (1963) is also on the docket for July 26th.

And although it is not a classic era film, Five Days One Summer (1982; set for release on 7/12) is the final film of famed classic era director Fred Zinneman.
[ACT ONE, what a major disappointment as the Moss Hart book was so wonderful. The film version is just blah.]

#4 CinemaInternational

CinemaInternational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:56 PM

Act One (1963) is also on the docket for July 26th.

And although it is not a classic era film, Five Days One Summer (1982; set for release on 7/12) is the final film of famed classic era director Fred Zinneman.

#5 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:21 PM

JULY RELEASES:

MORE CLASSIC BD'S - July releases

SILK STOCKINGS, Fred Astaire, Cyd Charisse
TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT, Bogie & Bacall

AUGUST 9

CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF

==============================================

SD DVDS - 7/12

ITS A DATE, Deanna Durbin
DISPATCH FROM REUTERS, Edward G. Robinson
IN OUR TIME, Ida Lupino

7/26

STOP YOU'RE KILLING ME, Claire Trevor, Broderick Crawford
STOP THE WORLD I WANT TO GET OFF
ABOUT FACE, Gordon Macrae, Virginia Gibson
MANHUNT IN THE JUNGLE
CRY IN THE NIGHT, Natalie Wood

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:23 PM

NEW RELEASES:

• LEE TRACY RKO COLLECTION (Criminal Lawyer, Behind the Headlines, Fixer Dugan, Crashing Hollywood)

Nice. Who doesn't love a good Lee Tracy movie from the 1930s..!

Of course they should have released this collection when he was a Summer Under the Stars honoree in 2014.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#7 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:49 AM

NEW RELEASES:

• TopBilled likes this

#8 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:42 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if this indicates they are going to do a Child Stars theme on TCM in September to promote these releases.

#9 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 11:55 PM

STARRING JACKIE COOPER:STARRING MICKEY ROONEY
  • TopBilled likes this

#10 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:22 PM

JUNE/JULY BLU RAY RELEASES:

UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN
SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON
VICTOR/VICTORIA

THEY WERE EXPENDABLE

#11 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:00 PM

If you'll allow me to butt in to this discussion for a moment, after reading your previous posts, I was curious what the markets were like for DVD/Blu Ray vs digital DL/streaming. I've read for the last several years about how the former is shrinking while the latter explodes in growth. My research backs that info up, but with the caveat that the shrinking/exploding has leveled off a bit in the last couple of years.

The market for physical DVD's and Blu Rays is still a multi-billion dollar industry, and there are no plans on discontinuing either format in the foreseeable future. As Laura pointed out, many film collectors much prefer the physical items for their shelves. There's a certain (perhaps irrational) feeling to having a physical copy that a digital copy can't give the owner. A lot of people don't have that need (mainly the under-40 crowd and the casual movie viewer), but a lot of older fans and serious collectors and movie buffs like having the discs (maybe it's part of why they're collectors to begin with).

Now obviously, TopBilled, I'm not calling you a casual viewer or someone who isn't a serious movie buff! There's plenty of evidence to the contrary. But you don't have a problem having a digital library and/or streaming as a primary source for movie watching, which means you are more in tune with the ultimate way things are headed in the future. But until that day, there is still a very large market for physical copies to us older stick-in-the-muds who prefer to hold the items in our hands. And as long as it's profitable, they'll keep doing it.

Yeah-- the reason I don't have a problem with a digital library and streaming as a primary source, is because it helps me be more mobile. I can move from city to city and not have to box up discs and ship them. And I don't have to buy things like DVD players anymore. Nor do I have to worry about discs getting damaged because of temperatures or moisture or scratches from human handling. 

I really don't think it has to do with age or the generation of a consumer. In theory any 85 year-old can adapt to streaming and prefer it. It's easy to use.  

#12 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:51 PM

However, the technology did not exist years ago to put out these "lower end" movies.  They were able to start doing it seven years ago, and they couldn't flood the market with hundreds of titles at once for myriad reasons, technological and financial.

I have been told by folks at WB that while streaming and downloading is growing in popularity, especially on "the coasts," the continued popularity of DVDs is much stronger than many people assume.  Eventually that may change, but they aren't seeing a negative impact on the DVD market now, again in large part because collectors aren't so interested in downloading or renting to stream.  I don't think the Archive would exist if it didn't make financial sense, as WB isn't a charity.  And if they are making money in the last years of this business model...well, so what?

And for those who prefer to stream movies, the Archive also has Warner Archive Instant.  

From my understanding, the Warner Archive Instant is where the consumer pays a monthly fee to look at the titles that are already in a queue that was set up by the Archive. The consumer is limited by what someone else thinks they want to see. Also, I believe that the consumer can only watch the titles-- the films cannot be purchased, stored online and rewatched later (streaming). 

On Amazon Prime, consumers have both options-- to just watch queued up titles that are already available; and also to purchase them and own them forever (which is what a collector would do). 

The reason the Warner Archive Instant site does not allow purchasing of titles is because they know that will cut into their already wobbly DVD business, and also it would stop people from looking at the same titles on Watch TCM or on-demand with cable carriers.

But people who just want to stream are going to bypass anything that has to do with discs. And people who want to make their own choices, in a more unlimited way, are not going to use the Archive Instant site. I feel this is where TCM is not really keeping up. It continues to rely on the older models, to squeeze as much out of them, until it is forced to revamp.

And the Shop TCM page on this website is a perfect example of where they're behind the times. In addition to selling discs and books, they should also have a place for people to make streaming purchases. I can't believe they haven't even started to do that yet. Watch TCM should be a component under Shop TCM, where people pay for titles they want to stream, independent of what is being broadcast on TCM during a given month.

#13 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,623 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:49 PM

If you'll allow me to butt in to this discussion for a moment, after reading your previous posts, I was curious what the markets were like for DVD/Blu Ray vs digital DL/streaming. I've read for the last several years about how the former is shrinking while the latter explodes in growth. My research backs that info up, but with the caveat that the shrinking/exploding has leveled off a bit in the last couple of years.

The market for physical DVD's and Blu Rays is still a multi-billion dollar industry, and there are no plans on discontinuing either format in the foreseeable future. As Laura pointed out, many film collectors much prefer the physical items for their shelves. There's a certain (perhaps irrational) feeling to having a physical copy that a digital copy can't give the owner. A lot of people don't have that need (mainly the under-40 crowd and the casual movie viewer), but a lot of older fans and serious collectors and movie buffs like having the discs (maybe it's part of why they're collectors to begin with).

Now obviously, TopBilled, I'm not calling you a casual viewer or someone who isn't a serious movie buff! There's plenty of evidence to the contrary. But you don't have a problem having a digital library and/or streaming as a primary source for movie watching, which means you are more in tune with the ultimate way things are headed in the future. But until that day, there is still a very large market for physical copies to us older stick-in-the-muds who prefer to hold the items in our hands. And as long as it's profitable, they'll keep doing it.

• Arturo likes this

#14 MovieFanLaura

MovieFanLaura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationOrange Co., CA

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:13 PM

However, the technology did not exist years ago to put out these "lower end" movies.  They were able to start doing it seven years ago, and they couldn't flood the market with hundreds of titles at once for myriad reasons, technological and financial.

I have been told by folks at WB that while streaming and downloading is growing in popularity, especially on "the coasts," the continued popularity of DVDs is much stronger than many people assume.  Eventually that may change, but they aren't seeing a negative impact on the DVD market now, again in large part because collectors aren't so interested in downloading or renting to stream.  I don't think the Archive would exist if it didn't make financial sense, as WB isn't a charity.  And if they are making money in the last years of this business model...well, so what?

And for those who prefer to stream movies, the Archive also has Warner Archive Instant.  

• Arturo likes this

#15 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:00 PM

Although streaming is increasingly popular, many collectors, myself included, still prefer ownership of hard discs.  The Archive is not going to rake in the same money as hugely popular titles, but isn't it great that there is a financially viable model which can make so many people happy?  How terrific it is that we're not limited to owning only the "big name" movies and that the Archive found a way to make this work.  Many people, myself included, are thrilled to finally own the movies that would have never come out on regular retail DVDs.  I'm not sure why there's not "value" in that and they shouldn't be "congratulated"?

I don't get the seeming negativity.

I just don't see it the way you do, and that's fine. Part of the problem I have with the Archive is that they took too long to get to the titles at the bottom of Ted's box (titles that have less demand), and the technology has moved away from them.

Overstating the importance of discs seems silly. People can collect movies by buying the titles electronically instead of as discs-- so collectors will go right on collecting. But the Archive itself and its business model has become somewhat outdated. And I am not even getting to the point about how many consumers are deceased now that could have purchased discs of Robert Montgomery films years ago. 2016 is kind of late in the game to be getting to some of this.

I think they're just trying to squeeze the last few drops out of a dying business model. Sugar-coating is not going to help, and besides TCM's business departments can handle the constructive criticism.

#16 MovieFanLaura

MovieFanLaura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationOrange Co., CA

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:39 PM

Although streaming is increasingly popular, many collectors, myself included, still prefer ownership of hard discs.  The Archive is not going to rake in the same money as hugely popular titles, but isn't it great that there is a financially viable model which can make so many people happy?  How terrific it is that we're not limited to owning only the "big name" movies and that the Archive found a way to make this work.  Many people, myself included, are thrilled to finally own the movies that would have never come out on regular retail DVDs.  I'm not sure why there's not "value" in that and they shouldn't be "congratulated"?

I don't get the seeming negativity.

• Arturo likes this

#17 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:19 PM

"But I think what they're doing is just going through everything Ted Turner acquired and making it all available."

Well, that's absolutely true, and it was the Archive's stated goal when it debuted in 2009.  For instance, you will find relevant quotes on that topic in my initial blog post on the Archive way back when: http://laurasmiscmus...vd-archive.html  George Feltenstein said " Our goal is to eventually open up our entire vault." 

Isn't that what we all want, access to whatever title we'd like to see?  Especially as everyone's taste and favorites varies?

That said, though the goal is for everything eventually to be available, I'm told by Archive employees that the order of the releases are also guided, in part, by past sales popularity -- which of course helps keep the Archive viable to reach that long-term goal.

I am all for every title being made available. But I also enjoy looking at the idea that this is like going through a box of stuff Ted Turner bought at a yard sale. Ted wasn't interested in a lot of the stuff on the bottom of the box. He wanted GONE WITH THE WIND, THE WIZARD OF OZ and CITIZEN KANE. And those are probably the top sellers. I also don't see the value in congratulating anyone on a business model built around discs. That is kind of outdated to some extent now-- more and more people want to purchase files of films online instead of discs. 

#18 MovieFanLaura

MovieFanLaura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationOrange Co., CA

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:00 AM

"But I think what they're doing is just going through everything Ted Turner acquired and making it all available."

Well, that's absolutely true, and it was the Archive's stated goal when it debuted in 2009.  For instance, you will find relevant quotes on that topic in my initial blog post on the Archive way back when: http://laurasmiscmus...vd-archive.html  George Feltenstein said " Our goal is to eventually open up our entire vault." 

Isn't that what we all want, access to whatever title we'd like to see?  Especially as everyone's taste and favorites varies?

That said, though the goal is for everything eventually to be available, I'm told by Archive employees that the order of the releases are also guided, in part, by past sales popularity -- which of course helps keep the Archive viable to reach that long-term goal.

• Arturo likes this

#19 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:53 AM

"Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have all these films more readily available-- but nobody really wanted these particular titles. And again, if they did, it's because they were drinking."

I'm a teetotaler and I'm absolutely thrilled by the Robert Montgomery releases.  I've been waiting for some of them for a long time -- and to have the full-length UK version of HAUNTED HONEYMOON?  Even better.

Montgomery has many fans in classic film fan circles, and the folks at the Warner Archive have told me that past sales success is one factor which informs future release decisions.  I infer from that that Montgomery's films have probably sold well in the past and they expect this latest round to do likewise.

I'm glad you're a Robert Montgomery fan. In a way, so am I (even if my earlier post seemed to the contrary). But I think what they're doing is just going through everything Ted Turner acquired and making it all available. It's not because an actor's films are necessarily selling well-- it's so that they can make a few dollars on everything they own. And I am sure that they probably are not making more than ten grand on some of these. If it was a Humphrey Bogart or Cary Grant title, it would sell more-- and that's why those films in the TCM/Turner library were released earlier. 

#20 MovieFanLaura

MovieFanLaura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationOrange Co., CA

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:41 AM

"Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have all these films more readily available-- but nobody really wanted these particular titles. And again, if they did, it's because they were drinking."

I'm a teetotaler and I'm absolutely thrilled by the Robert Montgomery releases.  I've been waiting for some of them for a long time -- and to have the full-length UK version of HAUNTED HONEYMOON?  Even better.

Montgomery has many fans in classic film fan circles, and the folks at the Warner Archive have told me that past sales success is one factor which informs future release decisions.  I infer from that that Montgomery's films have probably sold well in the past and they expect this latest round to do likewise.

• Arturo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users