We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Warner Archives Discussion

• Please log in to reply
1006 replies to this topic

#21 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:53 AM

5/17 TRAVEL TALKS (60 Shorts)

Jlewis has been discussing the release of those with a few other posters in the short films sub-forum.

http://forums.tcm.co...eltalks-shorts/

Glad to see them being made available on home video..!

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#22 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:33 PM

5/17 TRAVEL TALKS (60 Shorts)

5/17 WAR THEMES

CHINA SEAS
MARINE RAIDERS
NAVY COMES THROUGH
SEVEN MILES FROM ALACATRAZ

#23 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 04:05 PM

Hey, when the Warner Archives first went up,.I remember reading that among the releases would be some of the classic tv shows.the studio produced, like Hawaiian Eye and 77 Sunset Strip. Does anyone know what happened.with these?

#24 calvinnme

calvinnme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:24 AM

I received my copy of Forbidden Hollywood 10 from TCM Shoppe. The discs were all pressed. This is probably a limited pressed release.

• LawrenceA likes this

#25 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:24 PM

WB ARCHIVES ANNOUNCES BLU RAY DEBUT OF FATHER OF THE BRIDE (1950) ON MAY 10 and the Bogart classic DARK PASSAGE due sometime in June

#26 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 07:24 PM

4/12 RELEASESSEVENTH SIN, Eleanor Parker, Bill TraversSUSPICION, Cary Grant, Joan Fontaine -- FIRST TIME IN BLU RAY4/19 RELEASEFORBIDDEN HOLLYWOOD VOL 10

THE SEVENTH SIN is a decent version of the Somerset Magham tale, filmed earlier with Greta Garbo, and a few years ago with Naomi Watts, both under the original title, THE PAINTED VEIL. Glad to see it's coming out. And with the release of VALLEY OF THE KINGS, that makes two new releases with one of my favorites, Eleanor Parker.

#27 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:35 AM

4/12 RELEASES

SEVENTH SIN, Eleanor Parker, Bill Travers
SUSPICION, Cary Grant, Joan Fontaine -- FIRST TIME IN BLU RAY

4/19 RELEASE

FORBIDDEN HOLLYWOOD VOL 10
  • LawrenceA likes this

#28 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:30 AM

4/26 RELEASES

STARRING ROBERT TAYLOR:

VALLEY OF THE KINGS
REMEMBER
A YANK AT OXFORD
TIMES SQUARE LADY

#29 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:42 PM

I would guess someone who is a Montgomery fan.  There are also fanatics who have to have everything.  I am interested in the BULLDOG DRUMMOND double feature.  The Coleman version is fantastic and lots of fun.  Never saw the Pidgeon version..

The Pidgeon version plays on TCM.

Let's discuss something like YELLOW JACK for a minute. I don't hate the film, but it's really not a great film and not one people associate with Robert Montgomery (they usually think Norma Shearer collaborations and THEY WERE EXPENDABLE and maybe LADY IN THE LAKE). 

But okay, YELLOW JACK. It is now available. How much money can the Warner Archives possibly make off this film that nobody really wants. Maybe $10,000 if they are lucky, right? And you factor in the material costs and advertising and labor-- are they really going to make much on this title? You said the Montgomery completists might be seeking it, but go stand on a street corner and see if you can find any Robert Montgomery completists in mid-2016. You could probably find a needle in a haystack more easily.

Of course, I am being facetious here-- but my point is that there are titles that are much more in demand than YELLOW JACK or the other three titles in your earlier post. And going back to Ted Turner for a minute, do you think he's even watched these films? He probably never heard of them. He got them in a package deal with the films he really wanted, and he didn't spend money restoring these four films. They meant nothing to him. It's like going to a garage sale, buying a box of stuff because there is maybe one or two things in it you want, and the rest is junk. 

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#30 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:06 PM

Let's be honest here. These are not classic films that are on the top of those "please release to DVD" lists where people vote. Nobody has ever asked Warners to release YELLOW JACK, unless they were severely intoxicated and did not know what they were saying.

These films are being put on home video because they are part of what was dumped into Warners' lap thanks to Turner's acquisition of the MGM/UA library in 1986. And even he didn't want to see these films. He bought the library for CITIZEN KANE and GONE WITH THE WIND and THE WIZARD OF OZ...not for YELLOW JACK, HAUNTED HONEYMOON, PICADILLY JIM and THE FIRST HUNDRED YEARS.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have all these films more readily available-- but nobody really wanted these particular titles. And again, if they did, it's because they were drinking.

I would guess someone who is a Montgomery fan.  There are also fanatics who have to have everything.  I am interested in the BULLDOG DRUMMOND double feature.  The Coleman version is fantastic and lots of fun.  Never saw the Pidgeon version..

#31 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:28 PM

ARCHIVE RELEASES 4/5

STARRING ROBERT MONTGOMERY

YELLOW JACK

HAUNTED HONEYMOON

PICADILLY JIM

FIRST 100 YEARS

-------------------------------------------

BULLDOG DRUMMOND DOUBLE FEATURE...Ronald Coleman/Walter Pidgeon

Let's be honest here. These are not classic films that are on the top of those "please release to DVD" lists where people vote. Nobody has ever asked Warners to release YELLOW JACK, unless they were severely intoxicated and did not know what they were saying.

These films are being put on home video because they are part of what was dumped into Warners' lap thanks to Turner's acquisition of the MGM/UA library in 1986. And even he didn't want to see these films. He bought the library for CITIZEN KANE and GONE WITH THE WIND and THE WIZARD OF OZ...not for YELLOW JACK, HAUNTED HONEYMOON, PICADILLY JIM and THE FIRST HUNDRED YEARS.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have all these films more readily available-- but nobody really wanted these particular titles. And again, if they did, it's because they were drinking.

#32 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 02:22 PM

ARCHIVE RELEASES 4/5

STARRING ROBERT MONTGOMERY

YELLOW JACK

HAUNTED HONEYMOON

PICADILLY JIM

FIRST 100 YEARS

-------------------------------------------

BULLDOG DRUMMOND DOUBLE FEATURE...Ronald Coleman/Walter Pidgeon

• TopBilled and LawrenceA like this

#33 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 11:36 AM

Blondie of the Follies (1932)
Marianne (1929)

Three Marion Davies titles were finally released in March..now we have two more of her pictures coming out in April. It's encouraging and causes me to think she will either be a Summer Under the Stars honoree or else a Star of the Month later this year. Fingers proverbially crossed.

#34 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 11:33 AM

Update: Forbidden Hollywood Volume 10 will be the last installment of the popular DVD series. It will consist of:

Ever in My Heart
Guilty Hands
The Match King
The Mouthpiece
Secrets of the French Police

I don't consider EVER IN MY HEART a classic precode. There doesn't seem to be very much that is "forbidden" in terms of its subject matter.

The Kay Francis and Warren William titles definitely qualify. I haven't seen the French police picture.

#35 CinemaInternational

CinemaInternational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:55 AM

Update: Forbidden Hollywood Volume 10 will be the last installment of the popular DVD series. It will consist of:

Ever in My Heart
Guilty Hands
The Match King
The Mouthpiece
Secrets of the French Police
  • TopBilled likes this

#36 CinemaInternational

CinemaInternational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 01:12 PM

More Warner Archive April Releases, this time leaked by VideoETA:

Blondie of the Follies (1932)
Bulldog Drummond (1929)
The Man and the Moment (1929)
Marianne (1929)
Piccadilly Jim (1936)
Remember (1939)
Song of Russia (1944)
Times Square Lady (1935)
A Yank at Oxford (1938)
Yellow Jack (1938)

And another set of Forbidden Hollywood Titles (Set 10), but no titles in the set have been disclosed yet
  • LawrenceA likes this

#37 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 06:59 PM

According to Movies Unlimited, there are two more Eleanor Parker films coming in April:

Valley of the Kings (1954)

The Seventh Sin (1957)

Those aired in 2013 when she was Star of the Month. It's taken them a long time to release those.

#38 CinemaInternational

CinemaInternational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 06:58 PM

According to Movies Unlimited, there are two more Eleanor Parker films coming in April:

Valley of the Kings (1954)

The Seventh Sin (1957)

• TopBilled likes this

#39 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:35 PM

WB has announced the blu ray release of WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF.  AMAZON is taking pre-orders for this title.

• LawrenceA likes this

#40 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:49 PM

Warner Archives Collection is releasing "Roughshod", which is a Western that stars Robert Sterling, Gloria Grahame and Claude Jarman, Jr.

Claude Jarman, Jr. was such a terrific child actor and should've had a much longer career.

I can always watch him in "The Yearling", "The Sun Is Up", "Intruder In The Dust" and "Rio Grande".

ROUGHSHOD has only aired once or twice since I started watching TCM in the summer of 2008. I don't know why they won't broadcast it more often. Anything with Gloria Grahame (and Claude Jarman) is going to be good.

• rayban likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users