We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Warner Archives Discussion

• Please log in to reply
1006 replies to this topic

#41 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:44 AM

Warner Archives Collection is releasing "Roughshod", which is a Western that stars Robert Sterling, Gloria Grahame and Claude Jarman, Jr.

Claude Jarman, Jr. was such a terrific child actor and should've had a much longer career.

I can always watch him in "The Yearling", "The Sun Is Up", "Intruder In The Dust" and "Rio Grande".

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#42 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:11 PM

I suppose that's a distinct possibility. I seriously doubt people most young people who enjoy watching the Oscars will go out of their way to buy a Dick Powell movie. 

I am sure this is for the baby boomers. And Debbie Reynolds is being awarded a special Oscar this year.

I have a feeling most young people could care less about Oscars.  I probably won't watch this year since I have seen so little of the films and most today's stars hold little or no interest for me.  Too many award shows has definitely brought down the rating for Oscars whereas in the past it was the only game in town. Maybe will take a peak at the red carpet show. 

• TopBilled likes this

#43 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:26 PM

MARCH RELEASES

3/8.... STARRING ELEANOR PARKER

WOMAN IN WHITE  (1948) Alexis Smith, Sydney Greenstreet

LIZZIE (1957) Joan Blondell

RKO VARIETIES..TRIPLE FEATURE

3/15... STARRING MARION DAVIES

PEG O' MY HEART (1933)

FLORADORA GIRL (1930)

NOT SO DUMB (1929)

Maybe the Davies releases mean TCM is finally getting ready to honor her as a Star of the Month. I love PEG O' MY HEART and TCM has not aired it since August 2008, when Marion was a Summer Under the Stars honoree.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#44 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:25 PM

Since its somewhat about and Oscar winning  screenwriter maybe they figure it ties in with the upcoming Oscar presentation.

I suppose that's a distinct possibility. I seriously doubt people most young people who enjoy watching the Oscars will go out of their way to buy a Dick Powell movie. 

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#45 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:02 PM

MARCH RELEASES

3/8.... STARRING ELEANOR PARKER

WOMAN IN WHITE  (1948) Alexis Smith, Sydney Greenstreet

LIZZIE (1957) Joan Blondell

RKO VARIETIES..TRIPLE FEATURE

3/15... STARRING MARION DAVIES

PEG O' MY HEART (1933)

FLORADORA GIRL (1930)

NOT SO DUMB (1929)

• TopBilled likes this

#46 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:55 PM

Surprised they didn't wait till later in the year. It's traditionally regarded as a Christmas-time movie.

Since its somewhat about and Oscar winning  screenwriter maybe they figure it ties in with the upcoming Oscar presentation.

#47 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:54 PM

Frankly I am surprised they picked this one at all.  Cute film but there are so many more deserving; BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL, SHOWBOAT, LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME etc.  I just wonder who does the picking. 

I wonder too. And why now, as in 2016...why wasn't it picked a few years ago, think of all the lost Christmas-related revenue. 

And as you pointed out, LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME would sell like hotcakes because Doris is still alive and every year when it's her birthday, there is a resurgence of interest in her old movies.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to these selections.

#48 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 12:09 AM

Surprised they didn't  wait till later in the year. It's traditionally regarded as a Christmas-time movie.

Frankly I am surprised they picked this one at all.  Cute film but there are so many more deserving; BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL, SHOWBOAT, LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME etc.  I just wonder who does the picking. 

• TopBilled and LawrenceA like this

#49 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:14 AM

WB has announced the blu ray release of SUSAN SLEPT HERE on 4/19.

Surprised they didn't wait till later in the year. It's traditionally regarded as a Christmas-time movie.

#50 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:19 AM

WB has announced the blu ray release of SUSAN SLEPT HERE on 4/19.

#51 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:54 PM

2/23

George O'Brien Western Collection (1938-1940) 3 disc, 9 movie collection

#52 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:36 PM

Reportedly, the original cut of the silent screen version of "Ben Hur" contained a great deal of nudity.

But MGM decided to release a much safer version which eliminated the nudity.

But film archivists are still looking for this original cut.

There is one surviving still of Navarro in the nude that does not appear in the film.

And in the sequence in the ship's hold, a man's nude body strung up on chains can be seen in the background.

film-still-ben-hur-1925-granger.jpg

Reportedly, this sequence was originally shot in the nude.

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#53 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:34 AM

Warner Archives Collection does such a great job of restoring much older films to DVD.

They recently released seven films that starred Ramon Navarro, who was such a big star at MGM in the twenties and thirities.

These films include the two legendary films that Navarro made with famed French director, Jacques Feyder.

They are "Daybreak" and "Son Of India", which were both made in 1931.

Ramon Navarro was homosexual and he was also closeted.

MGM asked him to get married.

Navarro refused.

So, MGM brought in Jacques Feyder to romanticize his screen image.

Helping out in this department were co-stars Helen Chandler and Majorie Rambeau.

Years later, when he was so much older, Navarro's private life came to the attention of the public when he was brutally murdered by two male hustlers who were picked up off the street.

terry-novarro-arab.jpg

ben-hur-5.jpg

• TopBilled and LawrenceA like this

#54 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for the info.!   I had not seen this one and am looking forward to it.

I believe CONFIDENCE GIRL is available on Amazon Prime. Check there, if you subscribe to that service.

#55 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:47 PM

Yes. I'm a Hillary Brooke fan also. She stars with George's brother Tom Conway in the crime drama CONFIDENCE GIRL.

https://en.wikipedia...Confidence_Girl

Thanks for the info.!   I had not seen this one and am looking forward to it.

#56 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:18 PM

I love this one too.  She and George Sanders were great to watch.   Also I am a HIllary Brooke fan, so it is nice to have her featured

here too.

Yes. I'm a Hillary Brooke fan also. She stars with George's brother Tom Conway in the crime drama CONFIDENCE GIRL.

https://en.wikipedia...Confidence_Girl

• MCannady1 likes this

#57 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:39 PM

THE STRANGE WOMAN is one of Hedy's best post-war films. Love watching her with George Sanders. Edgar Ulmer was one of the best directors for that type of material.

I love this one too.  She and George Sanders were great to watch.   Also I am a HIllary Brooke fan, so it is nice to have her featured

here too.

• TopBilled likes this

#58 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:44 PM

That's a very good point.  DVDs have been around 20 years so why should they take all that time to release some of the great

classic films?  Hedy Lamarr films are a good case in point.  Not long ago I got The Strange Woman.

I think you are correct that the people that make the decisions have no idea of the right priorities!  They could have made

a lot more money even from a couple of great classics like you pointed out.

THE STRANGE WOMAN is one of Hedy's best post-war films. Love watching her with George Sanders. Edgar Ulmer was one of the best directors for that type of material.

• MCannady1 likes this

#59 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:27 PM

Oddly enough some of the releases on the Archives are DVD's.  Checked the back of GIRL MOST LIKELY, which has definitely had restoration as seen by the beautiful print.  Looking at back of cover I was surprised it was not an MOD.  Not sure who makes the decision to do or not to do the releases iMOD. 

That's a very good point.  DVDs have been around 20 years so why should they take all that time to release some of the great

classic films?  Hedy Lamarr films are a good case in point.  Not long ago I got The Strange Woman.

I think you are correct that the people that make the decisions have no idea of the right priorities!  They could have made

a lot more money even from a couple of great classics like you pointed out.

• TopBilled likes this

#60 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:22 PM

Interesting. These are fairly recent releases, yes?

You won't believe it,  I have been collecting Forbidden Hollywood for awhile now.  What is neat is there are four entertaining

Pre Codes in each set,  I did receive one with Ramon Novarro recently too.  I am not sure who decides to put them together.

I recall that the first one I got had Baby Face.  So they all look very nice.  Some may be restored.  Good selection of films each time.

• TopBilled likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users