We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Warner Archives Discussion

• Please log in to reply
1006 replies to this topic

#1001 scottman1932

scottman1932

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,417 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:19 AM

I bought 4 titles; SOULS FOR SALE (1923), THE BIG HOUSE(1930), THE DUDE GOES WEST (1948) and THE D.I.(1957).
I have only done a quick run through on each title, and have not sat down to watch any of the completely, but the transfers are first rate no playback issues, and the packageing is excellent.
I will no doudt be buying more titles in the near future.

#1002 chinaseas

chinaseas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:09 PM

I bought The Beast of The City with Jean Harlow. Next I will get the Norma Shearer films. Hope they release Smilin Through and Riptide with Shearer.

#1003 TripleHHH

TripleHHH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:29 AM

I ordered captain sindbad, and it was great ! Fine widescreen transfer and with original sleeve art as shown on their website
My friend was happy with Crescendo...
Doc Savage & Betrayed are next
Crisis, Big House and Beast of the City are next

#1004 calvinnme

calvinnme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:01 PM

I purchased 5 titles on March 26:

The Single Standard
Strange Interlude
Souls for Sale
Exit Smiling
Beast of the City

I have only seen Exit Smiling once before and it's been years since I've seen Strange Interlude on TCM. The others I was buying based on reputation.

Only Thursday April 2 did I finally get a message from WBShop saying they shipped. Like the author of this thread they also mentioned that The Single Standard was what was holding things up and said they had credited 15% back to my credit card because of the delay. The order is yet to be delivered, but I'll get back to you on quality when I receive them.

I guess it's a good sign if volume is so high WBShop is having to delay shipment a week to catch up with brisk business. They would do even better business if they would lower their prices just a few dollars.

#1005 marcco44

marcco44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:00 PM

i'm glad to hear that the quality is good on these dvds..... there are a number of titles that i'm interested in, and i hope they'll be offered by WB for some time (a few years).....to give us enough time to collect them.

since these are rarer 'on demand' titles, i suppose they will stay at $20 @ title...... the price is too steep for me though. i might just get 2 or 3 titles this year.

#1006 edgeciff

edgeciff

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:29 PM

I purchased 5 DVD titles from the archives:

SO THIS IS LOVE
ON BORROWED TIME
BHOWANI JUNCTION
3 SAILORS AND A GIRL
INTERRUPTED MELODY

Only watched SO THIS IS LOVE. Very impressed by the print. The last time I saw this film was on a small screen B&W TV. This was a bare bones DVD, with no trailer. I have yet to watch the others.

I agree with many people that the price of these DVD's should be no more than $14.99. Hopefully the archives will have more sales, otherwise I am being very, very selective about which titles I choose.

#1007 mateo107

mateo107

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:55 PM

we have separate threads for Blu-Ray and standard DVD, and since the Warner Archives are an altogether different format and market, i thought we should discuss them in a new thread. since there are already 150 titles and will be about 20 new titles every month, the information could really get lost in all the other threads.

first of all, i'm curious to know:
which titles other people bought.
which format you oped for: DVD-R, download, rental
if you've received any of yours yet.
any reviews, issues, questions, complaints that may arise

i bought all the Garbo pictures: The Kiss, Wild Orchids, The Single Standard, and Love, plus Ice Follies of 1939. although i got a shipping confirmation from Warner saying all the titles had shipped, i got an apology email a few days ago saying that the Single Standard wasn't ready but would be within 10-14 days (they also said i would get an additional 15% off of it and it would be overnighted, which was impressive). Yesterday i received Love, the quality was just what was depicted on the site, there were no playability issues, and it even had 10-minute interval chapter-stops, which i didn't expect. overall, i love Love and can't wait to get the others, i will definitely have to allocate part of my budget for this library.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users