We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:49 PM

Th

Besides TCM (Movies Unlimited), you should definitely check out Kino, The Criterion Collection, and Grapevine.

I've made purchases from all of them, but probably my favorite is Grapevine because they sell some rarities found nowhere else.

Here's the Valentino page, for example:  http://grapevinevide..._valentino.html

Are there any listed there you don't have, or would be interested in?

Thank you thank you for those sites! That's great! I have really been wanting to find some good places to buy silent films, I'm so glad you shared these sites with me!

• BelleLeGrand1 and TopBilled like this

#2 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:43 PM

Besides TCM (Movies Unlimited), you should definitely check out Kino, The Criterion Collection, and Grapevine.

I've made purchases from all of them, but probably my favorite is Grapevine because they sell some rarities found nowhere else.

Oh, definitely! Several of those look good, especially Camille (1921), the movie that made me fall in love with silent film. Camille is full of dramatic acting, and although I can't say it is those actors best work, I love it because it was the first silent movie I watched all the way through. I was mesmerized. The Art-Deco sets were amazing, the characters were entrancing, that movie has always seemed magical to me.

• BelleLeGrand1 likes this

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,960 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:15 PM

The only Valentino movie that I've seen is Blood and Sand (1922).

Larry,

I think I recall reading a post of yours on another thread where you indicated you have Amazon Prime. BLOOD AND SAND is on Amazon Prime, and so is THE EAGLE, which was one of Valentino's last films. 

• LawrenceA and Natalie Webb like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 BelleLeGrand1

BelleLeGrand1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:13 PM

Very. I can't tell you how many times I go to movie stores (even ones that specialize in classic film) and inquire about a silent film, and get crazy looks from the workers like its ridiculous that I should ask about a silent movie. The only place I've come across that sells silent movies is TCM. It's such a shame that society is turning its back on the marvelous days of silent film. 

• TopBilled, LawrenceA and Natalie Webb like this

#5 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,023 posts
  • LocationThe Phantom Zone

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:51 PM

Four Horsemen without Rudolph Valentino and Alice Terry? I can't imagine. I'm curious now, I have to see it. Directed by Vincente Minnelli, that's very interesting. Do you know if they remade the tango scene and everything? How far did they stray from the original plot?

I must sheepishly admit to having never seen either version! :unsure:

The only Valentino movie that I've seen is Blood and Sand (1922).

#6 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:46 PM

the_four_horsemen_of_the_apocalypse-3019

Four Horsemen without Rudolph Valentino and Alice Terry? I can't imagine. I'm curious now, I have to see it. Directed by Vincente Minnelli, that's very interesting. Do you know if they remade the tango scene and everything? How far did they stray from the original plot?

#7 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,023 posts
  • LocationThe Phantom Zone

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:38 PM

Woah, hold on, there was a remake?! 

the_four_horsemen_of_the_apocalypse-3019

• Natalie Webb likes this

#8 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:26 PM

> {quote:title=drednm wrote:}{quote}
> One of the great films of the silent era, so of course it's not available on DVD..... sad, huh?

The 60s remake was not available on DVD either, for the longest time, but it is now available from the Warner Archives. Could they do the same for the silent version?

Woah, hold on, there was a remake?! I had no idea! I can't imagine The Four Horsemen of The Apocolypse without Rudy... How can you do the tango scene with anyone but Rudolph Valentino?

#9 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:23 PM

One of the great films of the silent era, so of course it's not available on DVD..... sad, huh?

Very. I can't tell you how many times I go to movie stores (even ones that specialize in classic film) and inquire about a silent film, and get crazy looks from the workers like its ridiculous that I should ask about a silent movie. The only place I've come across that sells silent movies is TCM. It's such a shame that society is turning its back on the marvelous days of silent film. 

#10 MarianStarrett

MarianStarrett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:23 AM

Thanks for the offer, dred! :)

Let me check my stash of recorded movies just to make sure that I don't have this one already. There is a small chance I may have recorded it the last time it was shown on TCM, but I can't be sure until I check.

#11 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:52 AM

Marian, many of us here have copies and would trade or whatever....

#12 MarianStarrett

MarianStarrett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:06 PM

That's too bad, if they don't release it even through Warner Archives.

I guess I'll be sure and record it off TCM when they show it again.

#13 gagman66

gagman66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,495 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:32 PM

MarianStarrett ,

No, that isn't likely to happen due to the Carl Davis score. Warner's want's to re-master the Thames/Channel Four Metro/MGM Silents for major DVD release. It just isn't happening very quickly. THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE restoration was produced by Photoplay Productions in 1992. Much more recent than films such as THE BIG PARADE for Thames in 1983, or A WOMAN OF AFFAIRS in 1984. But I rather doubt that any Silents with Carl Davis or Robert Israel scores either for that matter, will be offered from Warner Archive? I sure would love to be proven wrong.

None of the Robert Israel scores would be Thames/Photoplay Silents, but I still would be be quite surprised to see the likes of THE BLACKBIRD or TELL IT TO THE MARINES offered though Warner Archive.

#14 MarianStarrett

MarianStarrett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:09 PM

> {quote:title=drednm wrote:}{quote}
> One of the great films of the silent era, so of course it's not available on DVD..... sad, huh?

The 60s remake was not available on DVD either, for the longest time, but it is now available from the Warner Archives. Could they do the same for the silent version?

#15 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:15 PM

and it needs the superb score by Carl Davis.....

#16 goldensilents

goldensilents

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 03:46 PM

>so of course it's not available on DVD

My sentiments exactly. Sigh.
  • Natalie Webb likes this

#17 gagman66

gagman66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,495 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 03:08 PM

Cangrejero,

FOUR HORSEMEN was released on MGM laser-disc, but not on DVD. Actually, Delta Entertainment did put out a version a few years back. I am not sure if it is still in print. But that did not have the Carl Davis score.

#18 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:46 PM

One of the great films of the silent era, so of course it's not available on DVD..... sad, huh?

#19 whistlingypsy

whistlingypsy

remember the parallelogram

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:27 PM

I seem to recall the last time I saw The Four Horsemen Of The Apocalype on TCM was on May 6th last year as part of Valentino's birthday celebration. The film was aired along with Moran Of The Lady Letty, Beyond The Rocks, The Young Rajah and a few others.

#20 scottman1932

scottman1932

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,417 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:05 PM

Yes, TCM does show this title from time to time. The have a nice tinted print that was restored by Photplay Productions and has an excellent Carl Davis score.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users