We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

TCM Honors Memorial Day Adjunct Poster Gallery

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#1 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:43 PM

Just wanted to bring this thread up for another year. It truly is something special and it is my most favorite memory of our dear friend, Kyle ( Mr. In Hollywood, as I liked to call him)

He spent a lot of time and effort in choosing the various themes and images each year as he developed this thread. And I am very happy to encourage others, who may not have looked through it all, to start at the beginning and work your way forward. You won't be disappointed. It truly is something special.

God bless the memory of our fine men and women who served and gave their all on behalf of this nation.. and God bless the memory of our friend, Kyle in Hollywood. You are missed, sir. 

Happy Memorial Day, one and all. 

6a00e552178e498833011570a40d58970b-600wi

• SueSueApplegate likes this

#2 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:32 PM

Came across this announcement today for a special exhibit coming to the WW1 Museum in Kansas City. Many of the images posted here in this thread can be found at the museum (and it sounds like there will be even more, with this special event) It put me in mind of this thread.. and of our dear friend, Mr. In Hollywood. He is the one who started this thread as a salute to a special  that TCM ran that year as a part of their tribute to Memorial Day. And he was so good to continue the thread for several more years after that, as a special favor to me and several others, in honor of the holiday.. and to showcase the many wonderful images he was able to find for us. He spent a lot of time and effort on choosing the images posted here.. and they really are something special.  

If you have not ever viewed this thread in its entirety, I recommend starting at page one and just take your time.. it is well worth a look. 

Meanwhile, here is the link to the special event at the WW1 Museum I mentioned... for anyone who might be interested. 

https://www.theworld...tform=hootsuite

#3 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:59 AM

Can't let this weekend go by without remembering this very special thread and the man who made it happen. I am very thankful to remember his friendship and all the hard work he put into all the images collected here. I hope others will take the time to scroll back through these pages and enjoy everything he posted in honor of this special holiday. It truly is something worth viewing.  

God bless the memories of the men and women who have paid the highest price in their service to our country. And God bless the memory of Kyle in Hollywood too. He is dearly missed

memday%20poster%201_zps2wkbmvkp.jpg

• SueSueApplegate, molo14 and HelenBaby2 like this

#4 lzcutter

lzcutter

Riding Point

• Moderators
  • 12,320 posts
  • LocationCity of the Angels- San Fernando Valley division

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:49 PM

Thanks, Ro, for remembering Kyle on this special day.

It's just not the same here without him but I like to think he is always with us, watching over us.

p_0014.jpg

• SueSueApplegate and rohanaka like this
"Movies touch our hearts and awaken our vision, and change the way we see things. They take us to other places, they open doors and minds. Movies are the memories of our life times, we need to keep them alive,"- Marty Scorsese

#5 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:22 PM

With Memorial Day Weekend right around the corner, I find myself thinking again on our dear friend, Mr. "In Hollywood" (or Kyle.. as the rest of you may remember him) and how much he is missed. 

This particular thread is a personal favorite of mine and holds a lot of special meaning,  not just for memories of a dearly departed friend.. but just because of the wonderful tribute it became for the celebration of Memorial Day,  and for all the very special images that are collected here. 

If you are able.. be sure to take some time and scroll through the pages and you'll see what I mean. He really put a lot of thought and effort into each collection he did over the years. 

Happy Memorial Day, one and all.  And to Kyle "in Hollywood" may I just add.. God bless your memory. You are missed, dear sir. :)

memday%20poster%203_zpsindr2jl5.jpg

• lzcutter, SueSueApplegate and Kid Dabb like this

#6 lzcutter

lzcutter

Riding Point

• Moderators
  • 12,320 posts
  • LocationCity of the Angels- San Fernando Valley division

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:36 PM

Ro,

Thank you so much for sharing your trip to the WWI museum with us in this thread. I think Kyle would have gotten a big kick out of reading about your trip and seeing the lovely pictures.

Have been thinking a great deal about him this weekend and wishing he was still with us. I found this image while surfing for something else and wanted to share it with him.

pp_uk_36.jpg

• patful, rohanaka and Kid Dabb like this
"Movies touch our hearts and awaken our vision, and change the way we see things. They take us to other places, they open doors and minds. Movies are the memories of our life times, we need to keep them alive,"- Marty Scorsese

#7 patful

patful

Advanced Age

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:58 AM

:) Lovely, ma'am. Thanks.

• rohanaka likes this

#8 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:36 AM

Well, I could spend all day posting more pics.. but I do not want to detract from the special images that are what this thread is all about.

So instead, I will stop with the ones I have posted already and just add that once again.. I just want to wish you all an early, and very Happy Memorial Day next week. I hope you'll remember to take time out to recall the reason for the upcoming holiday and be sure to say a word of thanks and respect to those who gave so much for our nation and it's freedom.

And thanks again, to our dear Mr.In Hollywood, for creating this special Memorial Day thread (and thanks too, to everyone, for letting me share these pics with you)    

#9 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:55 AM

And.. as promised. the POSTERS.. and these next few pics are only a FEW of all the various ones on display. (And if you have scrolled through all the older images in this thread, you will recognize some of them as the same ones Mr. In Hollywood posted too) 

064_zps20915bc5.jpg

056_zpsb798a367.jpg

067_zpsccea980e.jpg

028_zps454f5749.jpg

062_zps46295bed.jpg

One of the really fun parts of this museum are the several different interactive displays they had.. here the kidling is trying HER hand at making a propaganda poster: 

040_zps61c5254b.jpg

043_zps8bd38432.jpg

(this was one of her finished products, ha. Musta been close to lunch time when she made this one) :)

#10 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:49 AM

My husband  and the Kidling.. outside the National WWI Museum in Kansas City, on a very (very) windy Spring day, April, 2014

020-Copy_zps84d7f560.jpg

023_zpscdf6bccc.jpg

The entrance door to the National WWI museum in Kansas City

101_zpsf387b696.jpg

One of the large murals inside the older section of the museum. 

106_zpsa20c63b6.jpg

A mural in honor of the nurses who served during WWI (in the older section of the museum) 

077-Copy_zps28432325.jpg

Photos of the various troops who served.. there is a large sliding magnifying glass that you can position over each section of the photos to see them in detail.

036_zps8d7a082d.jpg

A large wall display showing the various "flying aces" of WWI and the confirmed victories they won in flight.(and yes, von Richthofen aka: the "Red Baron" was there.. just like in the "Snoopy Song", ha.. eighty men really did die because of his success as a pilot.. we counted the little red planes to find out.. wowsa)

032_zps79ea4b7c.jpg

Checking out a reproduction of a German Trench. Turns out they were the most effective in constructing and using trenches throughout the war.Meanwhile.. about the LAST place you'd want to be was inside a FRENCH trench. According to the info we read, they were very ineffective, poorly designed and just generally a miserable place to hang out.. with or without a war going on all around you. (who knew??) :) 

072_zps0140c26f.jpg

Patful, this one's for you. :)

087_zpsd320b6e0.jpg

And for all the Will Roger's Fans (Miss Goddess, et al)  They had a really interesting exhibit that showed images of the different well known "faces" of the times and then the image would change and show a quote from that person. I had a really (really) hard time getting a good picture of any of it, because the images kept changing, ha. But I was finally able to get one of Will Rogers' face.. before it switched over. The quote they had displayed from Mr. Rogers:You can't say civilization don't advance, however, for in every war they kill you in a new way.   

A very fitting comment.. considering the technological advances and changing of times that came about just before and all throughout this period of history.    

#11 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:14 AM

Hello everyone.  With Memorial Day coming up for us next week, I wanted to bring Kyle's Memorial Day thread back up to the forefront again.

And I have to say, this particular thread has always been a very special one in my heart for two reasons. First, because it is absolutely FILLED with some truly wonderful images and very moving tributes to our men and women in uniform from days gone by. I also like how each year he went with a different "theme" to tie them all together too.  And second, because I remember the conversations that I had with our dear Mr. "In Hollywood"  here in this thread, over this entire topic. And I also recall the chats he and I shared in private message as well, regarding how special this particular holiday is to me and my family, and how much I appreciated the time it took for him to compile and post all the many wonderful posters and pictures he placed in this thread.

And on that note.. I want to bring up his original post for the thread. You can read below how he started the whole thing because of a special that TCM was doing that year in honor of both the 90th Anniversary of the Signing of the Treaty of Versailles and also as a chance to spotlight the National WWI Museum and the Liberty Memorial which is located here in Kansas City.  

Here is Kyle's opening post below:  

This Memorial Day, as the 90th anniversary of the signing of the Treaty of Versailles approaches, Turner Classic Movies (TCM) will honor the soldiers who fought during the war with a special primetime showcase of five outstanding films. The evening will be hosted by TCM?s Robert Osborne and National World War I Museum Vice President Eli Paul.

In that vein, a daily poster gallery of homefront images.

3527578942_8170dd5c16_o.jpg

3527579714_492bddf2af_o.jpg

Edited by: hlywdkjk on May 31, 2010 9:31 AM

And those are just TWO of the very fine posters you will find in this thread. (I recommend starting at the last page of the thread and reading it in reverse to see them all in order of how he posted them) In fact, there are several years worth of Memorial Day Weekend posts here. The first year's posts were so terrific, I urged him to make this an annual tradition.. and he was kind enough and generous enough with his time to follow through with that.  Yet another reason I have such special memories of  him and this thread. He truly was a very good friend to someone he did not know all that well, to honor my selfish request that way.. and it always meant a lot to me to be able to chat with him over these images posted  here. 

So having said all that, I also have to tell you that living here in Kansas City, we have always planned for our family to go visit  the museum I mentioned above. We went once YEARS ago but it was under construction and there was not much to see so we always figured SOMEDAY we'd go back again. But for whatever reason, we just put it off. We have attended concerts in the park that is outside the museum off and on nearly every Memorial Day Weekend..but time being what it is, it gets away.. and we just never went back to visit the museum itself since they remodeled it several years ago. 

So at last I am happy to say, this Spring we finally did. 

And may I just tell you, WOW! It is a wonderful tribute to the memories of all those who lived, died, and were affected by World War One (And not just here in the U.S. but all across the world.) It truly was a "World War" and it was an amazing time in history. The museum is absolutely filled with all sorts of exhibits of war memorabilia and artifacts, and details about all aspects leading up to, during, and after the end of the "Great War" and it truly is something special to see. If you are ever in the Kansas City area I highly recommend you stop in for a visit.   

And it is almost as interesting on the outside as it is inside the museum. There is a LARGE tower that was erected back in 1921 (with an eternal flame atop it as well) and it is quite a fixture in the KC landscape. You can go up to the top of the tower too, and look out over the city.. but alas the day we visited it was VERY (very) windy and one of the security doors down below the tower actually broke due to the wind (I am not kidding.. it was windy, ha) So they closed the tower to repair it. And all we were able to do was walk around outside. But it was still quite a view.

The museum itself was originally much smaller, but was since added onto and completely redone in the last several years to what is now a truly inspiring and very fitting remembrance of the historic significance that one would expect be given to such an important event in our nation's history.  Here is a link to a website that will tell you more about the museum's history: http://theworldwar.o...um-and-memorial

Now I have to tell you, that all throughout the museum are walls and walls of posters.. some that are even originals.. of the same type that Kyle posted here in this thread and as we walked along touring the various exhibits, I kept noticing them,  and of course, my thoughts continued to return to this particular thread.. "Hey, that is one of the posters I remember from that TCM thread that Kyle In Hollywood posted" :)  It was fun to remember him as we went about our day.

So in honor of our dear Mr. In Hollywood.. and because I feel certain he would  have enjoyed seeing some of these images himself... for the next several posts, I hope you will not mind some rohanaka family photos of the National WWI Memorial as we took our little tour last month. Thank you for letting me share all this with  you. 

And may God bless the memory of our dear TCM friend, Kyle Kersten.. as we look back here and enjoy all the many images he posted from so many years past, and smile.  

Happy Memorial Day Everyone.  

#12 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

Hello there Mr. In Hollywood...

I hope you will forgive me for taking this liberty.. but I have not had as much time to hang out here these days as I would like.. so I have not been able to check in with you first to get permission. But I wanted to pop in here very quickly and bump this thread.

There are some truly wonderful images in honor of the holiday here and.. and I would just like to use this chance to also say a word of thanks to our men and women in the military for their service to our country.. and may God bless the memory of those who have gone before.

I hope folks will take some time (as they are able) and scroll back through some of these pages. I know it was a lot of work for you to put this all together, so did not want to put you on the spot again this year.. but for the last few years I have truly enjoyed the images you have posted here and wanted to bring this thread up so folks could enjoy them again.

Thanks for letting me share this here.. and thanks again sir.. for all the effort you took in creating it.

#13 CineramaRick

CineramaRick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:46 PM

Hi Kyle,

I can't BELIEVE I just came across this thread now and that I missed it over Memorial Day Weekend. But I guess better late than never! I just wanted to say to you, once again, how much I appreciate and love your image threads no matter what the topic may be. I still miss your daily "censored" thread and, of course, this Memorial thread carries special meaning. You have a keen eye for beautiful art, simply wonderful taste and we at the TCM message boards are always the better for your wonderful postings. Warm regards to you.

#14 ValentineXavier

ValentineXavier

I got myself into a situation here that I can't get out of.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:06 AM

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}
> Can't believe he was able to stay "spotless" while painting.
>

He must have used an airbrush. :)

"Those who would give up essential liberty
to purchase a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty, nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971 

#15 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:57 AM

Can't believe he was able to stay "spotless" while painting

I know! Isn't he something all done up like that. He obviously took his work (art) seriously.. to the point that he even dressed seriously too. I guess he came from that same "era" that had June Cleaver doing housework in her dresses and high heels and pearls. ha. OH my, how far we've come, ha. :)

Thanks for the link to the SD Website. You have a knack for finding the way-cool stuff around here, for sure. (PS: add that Red Cross pic to my list of faves for the ones you posted this year...if only for the expression he has captured on that boy's face... very moving)

Edited by: rohanaka on May 31, 2012 11:58 AM

#16 hlywdkjk

hlywdkjk

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,678 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:08 PM

*"From these posters we see that there two armies and that the one at home fought as hard as the one on the battlefields. I am humbled just looking at them and wonder if today?s citizens could do as well."* - wouldbestar

Humbled was my reaction too when I was accumulating all those "homefront" images last year. And it left me feeling very sad that selfishness which is glorified and celebrated by too many these days has become an acceptable definition of being an American.

I am pleased you and I had the same response to those images. Thanks for posting your thoughts.

Kyle In Hollywood

#17 hlywdkjk

hlywdkjk

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,678 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

Yea! Glad to see that gorgeous fountain is still operating in all its glory - regardless of which entrance it sits at. Great Photo!

*"I really like the way used color.. and the dark and the light mixed together.. very moving. I hope you find more for him sometime. They'd be a great addition to the collection you already have started for sure."*

Here's Mr. Schlaikjer painting a portrait while dressed in a suit.
schlaikjer_star5
Can't believe he was able to stay "spotless" while painting.

Copy of schlaikjer04
Poster featuring General MacArthur

schlaikjer017
Poster for Junior Red Cross

And here's a profile of the South Dakota artist at South Dakota State University website -
http://www.sdstate.edu/news/articles/jess-schlaikjer-artist.cfm
Enjoy!

Kyle In Hollywood

#18 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

{font:Times New Roman}Those of us born after the war have no idea of what our families did without in order to assure that our military personnel had what they needed to succeed. From these posters we see that there two armies and that the one at home fought as hard as the one on the battlefields. I am humbled just looking at them and wonder if today’s citizens could do as well. Thanks to all of you for taking us back in time to this piece of history. {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Times New Roman}Those testimonials from the stars were great as well. I hope they felt that way and weren’t just spouting speeches somebody else wrote. If those were their own thoughts, it’s too bad they couldn’t get a seat on the Supreme Court; it might not have taken until 1954 for what they said to become law. {font}

#19 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

The artwork of Jes Schlaijker was a recent find for me and I was stunned with his talent. During his stint at the Pentagon during WWII, he painted many portraits of military officials and leaders - often while wearing a suit! I only wish I could have found a complete, high quality set of his images for the U.S. Army

I really like the way he used color.. and the dark and the light mixed together.. very moving. I hope you find more for him sometime. They'd be a great addition to the collection you already have started for sure.

I am most fond of the McClelland Barclay pieces. I have been a fan of the artist for awhile. He has created some nice illustration art for various uses, including Movie Posters and other film-related materials

I know next to nothing about art.. but from what I see he had a knack for the "iconic" images...sort of the "ideal" of the real thing. It worked really well in the ones you posted here (like the navy ones) I love the use of color in his work. .very striking. (Even the "black and white" have color.. that one of Crawford.. very dramatic!)

I didn't know about his death while on board a Navy ship during WWII until I began the research for this weekend's postings. That was a sad surprise for me

There are so many "untold" and "lesser told" stories like that attached to this era.. I think that is yet another reason why collections like what you have here in this thread are so valuable.. they bring these stories to light for us.

whoever was responsible for creating the posters of the "Open Letter" series from the SEPost deserves a medal

Those were really something special. I googled around and read a little on the author (Auslander) He was the "the first Poet Laureate Consultant in Poetry to the Library of Congress from 1937 and 1941" I know nothing about his other works.. but wow.. he really knew what to say.. and how to say it in the pieces that you shared with us here.

hope you enjoyed the holiday weekend even without making it to the park in Kansas City this year

Thank you, sir. We did. I hope the same for you. We did miss the "Celebration at the Station" this year, though. Too many "irons in the fire" this time to add that to our list of stuff to do.. hope to make up for it next year. It was on PBS though.. they air it here every year so we watched a bit of it that way.. so not a total loss. (ha.. though the kidling did NOT like having to miss the fireworks "live". They shoot them off at the end of the concert.. right above the big Liberty Memorial tower (WWI memorial). Seeing them on TV was just not the same as being there for her. (but at least we can look at youtube too.. and get a taste of it now and then.. all year long, ha)

Here's a little something also from the SEPost to make up for the any disappointment you may feel

THANK you!!

I doubt the street still looks like this but I hope that cool fountain is still there

It is! That fountain is right on the entrance to the Plaza (as you are coming in to the Plaza from the south.. at least I THINK it is south.. ha. (actually.. I am editing my post.. because now I think it may be coming from the "East" ha.) I get turned around.. I just know I come from the south (and a bit from the "east") and the way we travel from.. that is the entrance to the Plaza) :) It is absolutely gorgeous! I was just there this past March (took the kidling out there to goof around one afternoon during Spring Break)

The JC Nichols fountain is one of the most popular because of the big park all around it. But there are many (many) other fountains and scultures all around the plaza still from the era that your picture was printed. And as for the street.. pretty much the same too. Not sure what stores were there then, compared to what we have now.. but the architecture is all still there, only the skyline behind it has changed (and ha.. the cars too)

Posted Image

Edited by: rohanaka on May 29, 2012 3:40 PM

#20 hlywdkjk

hlywdkjk

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,678 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:37 PM

Thanks to everyone that commented on the Gallery this weekend. And those that may have just come by to take a look, I am glad you did. Thanks to you too.
I am always pleased to read when my "work" is was so well received.

Kyle In Hollywood

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users