We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

BRIDE OF THE GORILLA (1951)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OllieTSB

OllieTSB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:59 AM

There's a thread about TIME MACHINES and going back to one scene or another. I would love to hear the threats and levels of blackmail used on this cast to force them into doing this picture.

Not because of whatever juicy material may be used - but to see how fretful the decision to agree, and then to keep showing up - just how much agony these participants must have endured.

"Was it worth it?" is the question I'd like to ask. This is a fairly big-time cast for such a, uh, movie. (Term used loosely.)

What do you think the original script title was - as it was presented to them? How could this tale have been sold to any of these folks? Surely a title like "Bride Of The Gorilla" would have sent all of them packing, right? Surely they didn't ALL lose such huge bets, or been caught with that many (pick one: Live Boys/Dead Girls)?

#2 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,587 posts
  • LocationThe French Riviera (in my dreams)

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:49 PM

Yep, you hit it. I did appreciate Lon's glasses. It made him look more officious. But still dull. I'm thinking if this was made about five years earlier, he could have played the Burr part, with maybe Evelyn Ankers as the wife.

#3 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,029 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:39 PM

One thing this film had going for it was the psychological angle. Is Burr really turned into a gorilla, or does he just think he's one? Other than that, I thought this was pretty dull. I also got tired of Chaney talking about jungle curses and animals.

I'm a big boy.

#4 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,587 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:30 PM

Ah, glad you're okay in that department, Rich.

I made it a triple bill yesterday with this, BELA LUGOSI MEETS A BROOKLYN GORILLA, and KILLERS FROM SPACE.

This was almost like THE WOLF MAN crossed with I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE. Despite the cheapjack production values and the woodenly lurid presence of Barbara Payton, BRIDE OF THE GORILLA wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but lacking in pacing and, well, overall class.

With Curt Siodmak directing, and Lon Chaney, Jr., Tom Conway and Raymond Burr on board, it was sort of a throwback to a mid-forties Universal horror movie, and the old witch was probably meant to remind us of Maria Ouspenskaya as Maleva the gypsy woman.
There is even one of those Lewtonesque literary quotes, in this case about the deceptive nature of love.

I didn't know which was more unbelievable: Paul Cavanaugh, married to blonde busty Payton, being told by doctor Conway that he has low blood pressure, or seeing Raymond Burr as a macho leading man making love to her.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

#5 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,029 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:52 AM

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}
> Is this better than Siodmak's LOVE SLAVES OF THE AMAZON?

That's one I've never heard of, but it looks promising.

> So how were the results of your colonoscopy, lol?

Everything went smoothly, thank you.

I'm a big boy.

#6 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts
  • LocationHaleakaloha and Monument Valley

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:41 AM

Professor, I don't even bother to watch your movies anymore, they are such a let down
after your reviews! :D

1-sophia-loren--150x150.jpg

#7 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,587 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:37 AM

Is this better than Siodmak's LOVE SLAVES OF THE AMAZON?

So how were the results of your colonoscopy, lol?

#8 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,029 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:22 PM

A whitetrash-fest, thankfully only 65 minutes long.

Raymond Burr stars as a plantation worker, whose boss (Paul Cavanagh) is married to luscious blonde Barbara Payton. So now you know what's going to happen to Cavanagh. The village crone sees the crime, and puts a curse on Burr. Local authority Lon Chaney, Jr. investigates while local doctor Tom Conway does his ventriloquism act yet again. Woody Strode has a bit as Chaney's assistant. In the thrilling climax, Chaney and Conway kill off two characters when they fire randomly into a tree because they hear a noise.

It's somewhat interesting to see Burr dirty and sweaty and oozing testosterone as he makes out with Payton. However, the acting is wooden, the sets cheap, and the plot almost non-existent. I encountered more suspense during my colonoscopy.

Tom Conway assures Paul Cavanagh that he'll be dead by the end of the first reel.
untitled2-9.jpg

Perry Mason and D.A. "Ham" Burger celebrate sending an innocent man to the chair.
untitled6-9.jpg

Raymond Hatton makes a surprise appearance as the village crone.
untitled4-9.jpg

Tom Conway assures Barbara Payton that Paul Cavanagh will be dead by
the end of the first reel.
untitled12.jpg

Barbara Payton and Raymond Burr film a scene for "World's Funniest Rifle Accidents."
untitled10-1.jpg

"How many times did I tell you to water the damn plant?"
untitled14.jpg

Payton's Playtex draws a bead on brawny Burr.
untitled13.jpg

Burr auditions for "Ironside," while the chick auditions for anything.
untitled5-9.jpg

This rare scene was added just for the San Francisco premiere.
untitled11.jpg

I'm a big boy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users