We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Richard Barthelmess in JUST SUPPOSE and THE DROP KICK

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:00 PM

Yeah, it's a real shame TCM removed The Patent Leather Kid from the schedule. I got to see it last year and was very impressed by Barthelmess. He isn't the kind of guy you think of when you think of a boxer, but he played the role very well. I hope more people get to see it in the future

I wonder why they removed it, I would love to see it. Yes, boxer is not what I'd normally think of him as, but I can definitely see where he could pull it off, he could play such a variety of characters. He could be very intense, but he did it subtly which is very difficult to do.

#2 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,646 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:29 PM

Richard Barthelmess was truly talented and so underappreciated, I do wish his films were shown more often to hopefully attract new fans. The first time I watched Way Down East (1920), it was to see Lillian Gish, but Richard's performance was so good, I started watching as many of his films as I could find. I would love to see him with Dorothy Gish, but as far as I know their only surviving film is The Bright Shawl (1923) and it sounds so interesting!

Yeah, it's a real shame TCM removed The Patent Leather Kid from the schedule. I got to see it last year and was very impressed by Barthelmess. He isn't the kind of guy you think of when you think of a boxer, but he played the role very well. I hope more people get to see it in the future.

• TopBilled and Natalie Webb like this

#3 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:04 PM

Richard Barthelmess was truly talented and so underappreciated, I do wish his films were shown more often to hopefully attract new fans. The first time I watched Way Down East (1920), it was to see Lillian Gish, but Richard's performance was so good, I started watching as many of his films as I could find. I would love to see him with Dorothy Gish, but as far as I know their only surviving film is The Bright Shawl (1923) and it sounds so interesting!

• BelleLeGrand1 and LawrenceA like this

#4 goldensilents

goldensilents

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:51 PM

It's a shame TCM doesn't air it. It would bring in a lot of new fans for Richard, that's for sure.

On another topic, I sure am glad tomorrow's star of the day is James Coburn, whom I have no interest in! I need a break from recording! I've been going practically non-stop since yesterday at 6am with the start of the James Mason tribute. I AM EXHAUSTED! lol

For once I'm NOT going to complain that "TCM shows too many modern films". Tomorrow I'm glad they are, so I can get some sleep! :)

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:01 PM

Well I think *Tol'able David* is a superb film, one of the great silents, filled with all kinds of humor, solid performances, and as exciting as any old melodrama was meant to be. The location shooting is just perfect as as Richard Barthelmess as David and Ernest Torrence as the filthy villain. This film is everything a silent film should be: great actors, great music, visually interesting, and with a bang-up ending that would have anyone on the edge of his/her seat. Beautiful direction by Henry King.

#6 goldensilents

goldensilents

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:03 AM

I've never seen them play Tol'able David, not since I got TCM around 2003 or so. It's public domain and has a nice Robert Israel soundtrack that I'm sure he'd let them use so I don't understand what the problem is there. I agree: TCM has a real blind spot when it comes to Richard Barthelmess.

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:43 AM

Well Jeff that's good news about restoration but who is doing it? and will it ever be released on DVD?

Richard Barthelmess seems to be another of those major stars of his time who is practically forgotten now, despite two Oscar nominations. When TCM runs his talkies now, they run *The Cabin in the Cotton* for Bette Davis or *Heroes for Sale* for Loretta Young.

As for his silent films, aside from the Griffith films and *Tol'able David,* not much ever surfaces.

#8 goldensilents

goldensilents

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:57 PM

It would be nice if one program did everything but I've never found that to be the case, whether for films, music, graphics, writing, etc. I've always used multiple programs and had to tweak things through trial and error. I know it's frustrating. Even now I sometimes experience setbacks.

I would recommend AC3 audio (that's also called Dolby Digital) or MP2 audio for DVD encoding and multiplexing. Full MPEG audio has the best sound but with a 4 gig movie already most MPEG music files are an extra gig and then they don't fit on a standard DVD-R. In the few cases where I have used it however I definitely notice a quality difference. The sound is fuller and richer.

#9 gagman66

gagman66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,495 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:08 PM

Ed,

I have never really used any Fancy editors. I have experimented with stuff like Photo-shop Elements before for Video and got know where with it.

The good news about THE PATENT LEATHER KID is we know that it has already been restored, because I have confirmation of that from people on Nitrateville. They just need to record a music score.

#10 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:03 PM

Yes but I got nowhere with my next try.... why are the programs so complicated? Every other DVD ripper thing I use is quite easy. But these movie "editors" are counter intuitive and seem not to use any logic. They also don't tell you WHY something isn't working.

#11 gagman66

gagman66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,495 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:58 PM

Ed,

Every program is different. With Super it not only asks you what audio format you want to use, but also the bit-rate and the sampling frequency. Obviously the higher the numbers the less space that you will have. Same with video. You at least have been able to tint a movie now. I have never done that before.

#12 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:45 PM

I didn't pay any attention to the audio. I assumed it went along where the video files went since I opened the film as a whole

#13 gagman66

gagman66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,495 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:41 PM

Ed,

That shouldn't make any difference. What audio format you are using encoding to though can make a difference because, some file types are much larger than others. Use MP-3, to conserve space.

#14 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:44 PM

well it just occurred to me that since I somehow compressed the original 127 minutes onto a DVD, 120 DVD the music got lost..... that at least makes sense....

Why the stupid software doesn't open a film as a complete file or string of video files I have no idea... that would be too easy

Message was edited by: drednm

#15 gagman66

gagman66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,495 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:41 PM

Jill,

Yes, but I have to score several individual files. Then I have to send them to Jorge to join them up. After that He has to send them back to me. Which is a imposition and not fair to him because it takes away from his own free time. Sure happy to have a good friend like Jorge. He is one in a Million!

Ed, Jill,

Your one both in a Million too. Please don't misunderstand. Would like to hear your score to UPSTAGE Jill if possible. I was planning to add one. Just have not gotten around to that yet.

Have had almost Zero luck with Dual-Layer media. My main DVD recorder won't even write to those type of disc's. I have a burner that is supposed to, but U-Lead compresses the file anyway, so only half, often less than half the disc is even burned to. Crazy deal.

#16 goldensilents

goldensilents

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:33 PM

The soundtrack might still be there, you're just not hearing it for some reason. Some old players for instance won't play MP2 files, only AC3 files, or vice versa. Some won't play full MPEG audio.

Can you tell what format your sound file is for your film?

I put a music soundtrack to Upstage a few weeks ago.

#17 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:11 PM

Jeff.... the music score on *The Patent Leather Kid* was nothing great in any case, but this software is so hard to use.... WHY? I worked like a demon to get all the video files linked (from two folders) and I guess I assumer the sound would follow. With a better copy and a decent score this could rank among the great silents. A truly great film.

But at least I have it all on one DVD now and am happy with the visual effects I could add.....

Just tried out *Upstage* and it's mute....

#18 gagman66

gagman66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,495 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:05 PM

Ed,

I have the same trouble with the new version of Super. It is supposed to join VOB, MPEG 2 and 4, or AVI files together. Once they are joined together, I can no longer hear the audio during playback anymore, even though it is still there? So I don't get it at all? This has prevented me from making creative fan videos and such, or even scoring a movie from start to finish. Really frustrating.

#19 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:55 PM

UGH I spoke too soon.... When I actually tried a playback of *The Patent Leather Kid* I noted I've lost the sound track! Not that it was any good anyway, but I guess there's still more to learn on this editing stuff..... OH WELL. Maybe I can get Jeff to add a snappy score for this important film. At least the visual part is ok.....

BUT then I tried to work on *The Sporting Venus,* which I watched Saturday, and I couldn't even get the video files to open in the MAGIX software..... GRRRRRR.

#20 scottman1932

scottman1932

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,417 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:50 AM

> {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:}{quote}
> Scottman,
>
>
> I remember the list of First National titles. I do not recall seeing the full list of MGM's though? I only had the list of MGM's that up until that time in 1997, had not yet been featured at festivals.
I stand corrected, the MGM list I had was of those that were considered lost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users