We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Richard Barthelmess in JUST SUPPOSE and THE DROP KICK

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 BelleLeGrand1

BelleLeGrand1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:33 PM

I just double checked my copy of The Drop Kick, which I purchased from The Great Lakes Cinephile Society. The print is very nice, no red tint, with a live organ accompaniment, recorded at one of their conventions when they still held Cinesation in Michigan. They have this and several other films available for sale here: http://www.cinephile...m_Preserva.html

I am not affiliated with them, but have enjoyed attending Cinesations for the past few years in Massillon, OH, and would encourage anyone who loves silent films to make the trip. It's a pleasure to see so many wonderful old movies in a theater setting with live accompaniment. Check out the schedule of films here: http://www.cinephile...Cinesation.html

How about Richard Barthelmess for SOTM sometime? TCM has shown plenty of his films, and I'd say he deserves a month much more than, say, Stewart Granger!

#42 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:00 PM

Most of his First National/Warners talkies exist.... and most of the ones I've seen have been very good.

*Heroes for Sale, The Last Flight, The Dawn Patrol, Four Hours to Kill* are all excellent.

#43 PrinceSaliano

PrinceSaliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:35 PM

I'd like to see more of Richard Barthelmess on TCM...his pre-Code talkies and his surviving silents.

#44 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:45 PM

send PM with your email address.....

#45 stahrmonroe

stahrmonroe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:12 PM

so how can i get a copy?

#46 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:51 AM

Yes I got the list.... very interesting. Do you have lists like this for the other major studios?

*Scarlet Days* is a very interesting Griffith film with Richard Barthelmess as Alvarez, a sort of local Robin Hood in in the old West. Griffith originally wanted to use Rudolph Valentino but changed his mind at the last minute, thinking women wouldn't like him because he was too ethnic!

Leading ladies are Carol Dempster and the tragic Clarine Seymour. And then there's Eugenie Besserer (who I loved in *The Circle* ) as saloon hall Rosie. This is also an early role for Ralph Graves as the kid from Virginia looking for gold.

Message was edited by: drednm

#47 gagman66

gagman66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,495 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:18 PM

Ed,

I don't think so. Did you get my E-mail about Universal Silents?

#48 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:09 PM

Jeff. *The Enchanted Cottage* is another one you should watch even though it's a lousy copy. Richard Barthelmess and May McAvoy are quite excellent.

One of Barthelmess' great gifts was that he tended to work with terrific actresses like Lillian Gish, Betty Compson, Bessie Love, May McAvoy, Dorothy Mackaill, Dorothy Revier, Mary Astor, Helen Chandler, and others.

Have you watched *Scarlet Days* yet?

#49 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:00 PM

Many Richard Barthelmess films are around. I liked *Shore Leave* as well. *The Enchanted Cottage* is excellent as is *The Patent Leather Kid.* The trouble with all these, as well as *Just Suppose, Soul Fire, The Drop Kick,* etc. is that the print quality is often not very good. I have a few others I haven't watched yet like *The Idol Dancer, The Love Flower, Ranson's Folly.*

*The Bright Shawl* may only exist in an archive somewhere. *The Noose* (another Oscar nomination) is probably lost. Most of Barthelmess' talkies exist.

I think he was probably the most versatile of the major male stars of the silent era.

#50 stahrmonroe

stahrmonroe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:22 PM

Nice cover.

I'm waiting for shore leave to arrive at the library via interloan any day now...you see i'm going over to a different county to access their somewhat larger collection.

gag, how'd you come across all these films? must've been hard work. you're a lucky man nonetheless.

#51 gagman66

gagman66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,495 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:44 PM

stahrmonroe,

THE PATENT LEATHER KID (First National, 1927) Original Road Show edition in 35 Millimeter was fully restored just a few years ago. I know a couple people who saw some live screenings. I don't know what Warner's plans are for the movie right now? They currently hold the rights. Yeah, I have a poor copy on two DVD-R's made from an 8 Millimeter dupe.

I think I have copies of the all the other Barthelmess titles you mentioned. They very in print quality from film to film. SHORE LEAVE looks pretty good.

#52 stahrmonroe

stahrmonroe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:37 PM

gagman, how bout the patent leather kid, soul fire, bright shawl...really anything very obscure w/ Richard Bart in it would be a treat. Ah, that depresses me, the fact that these will never see light of day...

#53 gagman66

gagman66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,495 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:22 PM

stahrmonroe,

I have a copy of THE ENCHANTED COTTAGE, but have never watched it. Ed, has though. Not many May McAvoy films are around.

What else are you looking for? I have over 800 Silent features, and at least 70% of them will probably never be released on official DVD.

#54 stahrmonroe

stahrmonroe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:15 PM

How did you obtain copies of these rare films? I would love to watch them. You know, I've been wanting to watch the Enchanted Cottage for a long time, so I've gotten all of my friends to vote on this site to have it released on DVD. Hope others would do the same.

#55 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:49 PM

Two more Barthelmess films.

In *Just Suppose* Barthelmess plays a runaway prince chasing after pretty Lois Moran in New York City until he finds out his father and older brother have died and he is to be king. Pleasant little film.

In *The Drop Kick,* Barthelmess plays a college football star who is vaguely interested in Barbara Kent until he gets trapped in the clutches of slutty Eunice (Dorothy Revier). But mother (Hedda Hopper) to the rescue just in time for "the big game." Barthlemess isn't terribly convincing as a football star, but he's a terrific actor. My copy is tinted red throughout, the music is horrible, a few glitches from the VHS transfer. But I believe this is on DVD because John Wayne plays a football player as he did in *Brown of Harvard.* I never spotted him in either film.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users