We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

BRONXGIRL'S MOTHER, HENRY FONDA'S HIRSUTENESS, ETC.

• Please log in to reply
5309 replies to this topic

#1 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,725 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:09 AM

Glad that Irma is out of the way for you now, little missy. And here's hoping you get passed by this time by her cousin Maria.

Hang in there Miss B.. batten down those hatches again and will pray you stay safe and sound, all through the entire season. 

Are girl hurricanes worse than boy hurricanes?

Let us not be afraid to ask.

#2 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:07 PM

Glad that Irma is out of the way for you now, little missy. And here's hoping you get passed by this time by her cousin Maria.

Hang in there Miss B.. batten down those hatches again and will pray you stay safe and sound, all through the entire season. 

#3 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,583 posts
  • LocationThe French Riviera (in my dreams)

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:21 PM

But now we've got Tropical Storm Maria to worry about, churning in the Atlantic at this moment!  Oh, no, no, no!

I'll just have to move to the south of France, lol.

Although with everything going on in Europe these days, that might not be such a good idea....

#4 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:21 PM

Glad to hear you are safe and sound, and a-ok, Miss B!!! Very thankful you were not in the worst of it. Will hope the rest of the hurricane season is a breeze.... but a mild and pleasant one. (not with hurricane force winds!) :) 

• Bronxgirl48 likes this

#5 SansFin

SansFin

U. S. Citizen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,040 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:50 PM

The "best" I can say about hurricanes is that we are given warnings in advance so necessary preparations can be made, unlike earthquakes.

It is at all times best when you can take precautions!

pk98FqT.jpg

• Bronxgirl48 likes this

My Avatar: Little girl ghost from "義足のMoses"

Warning: I can be very condescending. (That means I talk down to people.)

#6 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,583 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:48 AM

Thanks so much, Sans!   It was a pretty scary experience, just like the first hurricane I went through, Wilma in 2005.

The "best" I can say about hurricanes is that we are given warnings in advance so necessary preparations can be made, unlike earthquakes.  I have a brother in San Francisco and am always concerned.

#7 SansFin

SansFin

U. S. Citizen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,040 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:10 PM

It is quite wonderful to learn that you are safe and happy! 

• Bronxgirl48 likes this

#8 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,583 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:30 PM

Hi, guys, made it through one scary Sunday and the power outage aftermath.  Thanks my TCM friends, for all your thoughts and prayers.

My building and apartment did not sustain any damage; others across the state weren't so lucky.

We in Boca experienced the "back end" of Irma but it was rough. 

Hurricane season ends November 30.  Needless to say I cannot wait.

• rohanaka likes this

#9 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:28 PM

Praying for you, Miss B, and all who are in the path of the storm. Sending a huge hug your way!! Stay safe!

• laffite and Bronxgirl48 like this

#10 molo14

molo14

MadHat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,846 posts
  • LocationChumley's Rest

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:18 PM

Hi ya Bronxie,

Thinking of you and hoping you are keeping safe as Irma approaches! Take care my friend!

• laffite, Bronxgirl48 and rohanaka like this

#11 SansFin

SansFin

U. S. Citizen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,040 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:09 PM

I didn't see any eclipse here in South Florida.  In fact, there seemed to be more sunshine, lol!

There is a formula for calculating unit-density-area precisely but you need only look at a map to see the cause: the eclipse was across the middle of the country and so the sunlight for that area had to be pushed aside and go somewhere else. I hope that you were using an appropriately higher-grade sunblock that afternoon. 

#12 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,583 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:22 AM

Howdy, Ma Stone!  I love all kinds of quizzes and tests anyway, and the Hitchcock course was chock full of those kinds of things.  I don't think this would have worked with any other director!

#13 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:03 PM

Hello little missy. Glad you got the chance to enjoy that Hitchcock class.  Sounds like it would have been fun!! :) 

#14 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,583 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:58 PM

Barb, congratulations! I hope you'll go for your Ph.d. When you find yourself in a situation, do hear strains of Bernard Hermann? I hope not.

Happy Birthday to Frank and Molo. I miss you both around here.

And you too, Barb. Hope all is well.

Laffite

Thank you, Lafitte!  I'm doing a bit better and wishing you all the best as well.

The only Bernard Herrmann music I want to hear is not in a Hitchcock film, lol.  I'd much prefer his beautiful score from The Ghost and Mrs. Muir as I'm having a "situation" with Captain Gregg!

#15 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,583 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:52 PM

I hope that all here are well and happy.

We watched the eclipse from the parking lot behind our home. It was a first for both of us. I can not describe it except to say that it looked exactly as all the pictures of it but it was simultaneously incredibly awesome. It is easy for me to understand how people believed once that it is a powerful omen sent by the gods.

Sans, I am sending blessings to you and your husband.

I didn't see any eclipse here in South Florida.  In fact, there seemed to be more sunshine, lol!

#16 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,725 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:14 PM

I got an online "certificate" for completing the Hitchcock course.  Sorry that it's all over!   

But I'm here to wish FrankGrimes and Molo14 happy August birthday wishes and blessings.  You two are very special people who deserve all the best in life.  

Barb, congratulations! I hope you'll go for your Ph.d. When you find yourself in a situation, do hear strains of Bernard Hermann? I hope not.

Happy Birthday to Frank and Molo. I miss you both around here.

And you too, Barb. Hope all is well.

Laffite

• Bronxgirl48 likes this

#17 SansFin

SansFin

U. S. Citizen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,040 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:44 PM

I hope that all here are well and happy.

We watched the eclipse from the parking lot behind our home. It was a first for both of us. I can not describe it except to say that it looked exactly as all the pictures of it but it was simultaneously incredibly awesome. It is easy for me to understand how people believed once that it is a powerful omen sent by the gods.

#18 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,583 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:13 AM

I got an online "certificate" for completing the Hitchcock course.  Sorry that it's all over!   

But I'm here to wish FrankGrimes and Molo14 happy August birthday wishes and blessings.  You two are very special people who deserve all the best in life.  

• laffite and molo14 like this

#19 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:11 PM

One that is working is signing up for the TCM online Hitchcock course.  It is so much fun and has taken my mind off things for the time being.

Hooray! That sounds like it would be very entertaining AND informative too, Miss B. When I saw they were offering it, I thought of signing up.. but alas, my schedule has gotten a bit too whacky this summer, and I had to let it go. I am glad it has been a welcome diversion for you, youngun! Enjoy. :) 

#20 Marianne

Marianne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationGreater Boston area

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:29 PM

Thanks so much, Ma Stone!  I am trying to utilize more unconventional forms of relaxation techniques.

One that is working is signing up for the TCM online Hitchcock course.  It is so much fun and has taken my mind off things for the time being.

I am taking this online course, too. I hope that it continues to work as a diversion for you.

I am enjoying the Hitchcock course (and online discourse) immensely. It seems I'm not as knowledgeable about Hitchcock as I thought, so I expect to be learning a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users