We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

BRONXGIRL'S MOTHER, HENRY FONDA'S HIRSUTENESS, ETC.

• Please log in to reply
5291 replies to this topic

#1 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:11 PM

One that is working is signing up for the TCM online Hitchcock course.  It is so much fun and has taken my mind off things for the time being.

Hooray! That sounds like it would be very entertaining AND informative too, Miss B. When I saw they were offering it, I thought of signing up.. but alas, my schedule has gotten a bit too whacky this summer, and I had to let it go. I am glad it has been a welcome diversion for you, youngun! Enjoy. :) 

#2 Marianne

Marianne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • LocationGreater Boston area

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:29 PM

Thanks so much, Ma Stone!  I am trying to utilize more unconventional forms of relaxation techniques.

One that is working is signing up for the TCM online Hitchcock course.  It is so much fun and has taken my mind off things for the time being.

I am taking this online course, too. I hope that it continues to work as a diversion for you.

I am enjoying the Hitchcock course (and online discourse) immensely. It seems I'm not as knowledgeable about Hitchcock as I thought, so I expect to be learning a lot.

#3 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,575 posts
  • LocationThe French Riviera (in my dreams)

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:56 PM

Thanks so much, Ma Stone!  I am trying to utilize more unconventional forms of relaxation techniques.

• Marianne likes this

#4 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:49 PM

Dear girl, you are having to recreate a whole new "normal" right now.. so I am sure there will be many times when emotions will come and go.. and sometimes come back again. I am no expert, but I am sure panic attacks must be very hard to deal with even in the best of circumstances, so I imagine they would be just awful when things are at their worst.

Just hang in there, pace yourself, and give yourself whatever time you need to grieve. And know that there are many here who care about you and are wishing you well as you take this next step and find your way forward from here. 

I will continue to pray for you that God will bless you and grant you all that you need to rest and recover, step by step, with each coming day. 

• Bronxgirl48 likes this

#5 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,575 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:47 PM

Oh Kathy thank you so much for those comforting words.  You always lift me up, my friend, and these days I need more "lifting" than usual.

I'm hoping I don't experience any delayed physical reactions like panic attacks, which I'm susceptible to.  I had a lot of them over the years after a beloved first cousin suffered and eventually died from multiple sclerosis.  I lived with and looked after him for about a year until he deteriorated.  It was extremely traumatic.  My cousin was only in his 40's when he passed.

But this was my mother, my childhood now "officially" gone, and the full realization of her death has still not really hit me.

#6 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:49 PM

From one "world class blubberer" to another.. you just be you, dear friend. Sometimes you will just need to cry when (and wherever) you need to .  So it is OK if it slips out now and then.  

And PS:  let others help you, if you can. I know it is a good thing to be strong, and to do your best to keep your "stuff" together. But you are also human and you have every right to go through whatever feelings you have.. whether public or private.. at a time like this. Just remember you have many people who care about you.

Sending love your way, and continuing to lift you up in prayer, dear girl.  

#7 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,575 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:05 PM

It requires time to accept. It was of recent the fifth anniversary of my mother passing. I feel that it may be that I will never truly recover.

This will be a time of great distinction between the public you and the private you. Do not try to carry the brave public face into your private time. It does not help. My grandmother would say that a lady would at all times appear to be a graceful swan gliding elegantly across a lake and that she would never let any person see that below the surface she was paddling like crazy. Be a strong and brave lady with all those you meet and allow the tears to flow freely as they wish when you are alone. 

We are here for what you need.

You have our sympathy and our prayers.

SansFin, please accept my deepest sympathies and prayers for your mom's passing.  Two of the hardest things in life -- holding on and letting go.

I will shed many tears for my mother in private in the coming days, weeks, months and years, but will not break down in front of relatives and friends at Mom's funeral next week.  I refuse to be reduced to a blubbery heap anywhere but in the privacy of my own space, and believe me, I am a world class blubberer.

Thanks so much, my friend, for your comfort and support.

#8 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,575 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:58 PM

Barb:

So sorry for your loss. You Mom was a pip, and I enjoyed all the stories. Nice to see some of the old gang post here again. We miss you around here.

Rich

Rich, it's wonderful to see you -- thank you so much.  I'm very grateful you enjoyed Mom here on her very own thread. 

I have to tell you that after taking care of necessary paperwork and planning my mother's final resting place (i.e., being the adult) I treated myself to FROM HELL IT CAME.   It was even more deliciously awful than I remembered.

#9 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,575 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:51 PM

Barb. whenever you absented yourself from here for any length of time I tended to worry a bit about this. And so, condolences on the passing of your mother. And thank you for sharing her with us all these years. Always pure delight at her musings and in your telling. God bless you and your mother and be kind to yourself in the days ahead.

This thread is a sort of monument now. I'm glad you mentioned periodic best-bit retrievals. I'll never think of hirsuteness again (ha!) without a parallel thought for Henry Fonda and of course your dear mother. I like the "Etc..." part of the title, because there is so much more.

My mom died in 2009, age 94 --- you have my deepest sympathy for what you're going through now.

Do take care, Barb

laffite

Matey, I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your own mother.  

Thank you so much for your kind and generous words about Mom.  She really was a Gracie Allen character when it came to movie critiques.  Mom knew what she liked and what she didn't, and never hesitated to let us know, even if plots and actors were occasionally (or should I say often) mixed up.

Over the course of about four years her dementia was progressive as it always is, and she had to move from her apartment to assisted living, then a nursing home.  Her hospice care was a blessing -- Mom did not suffer at the end. 

#10 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,827 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:30 AM

Barb:

So sorry for your loss. You Mom was a pip, and I enjoyed all the stories. Nice to see some of the old gang post here again. We miss you around here.

Rich

• Bronxgirl48 likes this

I'm a big boy.

#11 SansFin

SansFin

U. S. Citizen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,005 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:34 AM

It is still rather surreal for me.  Things haven't really sunk in yet, even though I'm coordinating and attending to all the arrangements with a clear head and a deceptively calm exterior.

It requires time to accept. It was of recent the fifth anniversary of my mother passing. I feel that it may be that I will never truly recover.

This will be a time of great distinction between the public you and the private you. Do not try to carry the brave public face into your private time. It does not help. My grandmother would say that a lady would at all times appear to be a graceful swan gliding elegantly across a lake and that she would never let any person see that below the surface she was paddling like crazy. Be a strong and brave lady with all those you meet and allow the tears to flow freely as they wish when you are alone. 

We are here for what you need.

You have our sympathy and our prayers.

My Avatar: Little girl ghost from "義足のMoses"

Russian nesting dolls are full of themselves.

#12 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,632 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:18 PM

Barb. whenever you absented yourself from here for any length of time I tended to worry a bit about this. And so, condolences on the passing of your mother. And thank you for sharing her with us all these years. Always pure delight at her musings and in your telling. God bless you and your mother and be kind to yourself in the days ahead.

This thread is a sort of monument now. I'm glad you mentioned periodic best-bit retrievals. I'll never think of hirsuteness again (ha!) without a parallel thought for Henry Fonda and of course your dear mother. I like the "Etc..." part of the title, because there is so much more.

My mom died in 2009, age 94 --- you have my deepest sympathy for what you're going through now.

Do take care, Barb

laffite

• Bronxgirl48 likes this

#13 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,575 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:07 PM

Although I am relatively new to this thread, I am very sorry to hear this news. I wonder if your mother and my mother met in a parallel universe: They share so many movie and movie star likes!

I am looking forward to your re-posts. And I hope posting them will make the upcoming days easier for you.

Marianne, you already sound like an old friend!  How wonderful and fun that our two moms enjoyed similiar movie memories.

Thank you so much for sharing this with me, and for your kind thoughts.

I'm not sure how far back I can go on this thread but I'm hoping I can retrieve some of Mom's best bits.

• Marianne likes this

#14 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,575 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:01 PM

Your Mom was tops Barb! So sad to hear this news.

I loved hearing her thoughts on films and always enjoyed the conversations between you both that you would lovingly share with us. 

These past years you have been by her side through all the ups and downs. That is a treasure that can never be taken from you.

Take care of yourself during the difficult days ahead.  

Sending big hugs to you my dear friend.

God bless you and your wonderful mom.

Molo my dear friend, you are a very special and loving person and I'm so grateful to know you.  We had two very wonderful, strong mothers. 

They will live in our hearts forever.

Blessings.

#15 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,575 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:57 PM

Much love to you, dear girl. And God bless you as you remember her. It is never easy to say goodbye to the ones we love and  I know she will be dearly missed.

You took such good care of her and the stories you have told of your many conversations with her always brought a smile. So now it is time to take good care of yourself, little missy and know that many here are sending you love, and warm thoughts.

May God grant you his peace and bless you with his comfort now and always. Sending a huge hug your way, dear friend. :)

Kathy, I am so blessed to know you.  You are an angel here on Earth, bringing me your compassion, wisdom, and spiritual comfort.

Thanks, twinnie.

#16 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,575 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:48 PM

This is sad news. But what a treat it was to "meet" her through your stories. Sounds like she lived a full life in addition to raising a fine daughter.

I hope the sadness you have today will soon give way to wonderful memories. Know that so many people here liked her and we are grateful you brought her to us.

My sincere condolences. Prayers for you and the family.

Regards,

Chris

Chris, your generous and kind words touch me so much.  Thank you my friend.  Mom loved you all.

• movieman1957 likes this

#17 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,575 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:45 PM

I am very sorry for your loss. She had a long and interesting life and passed peacefully. Those are all great blessings. That she instilled in you a love of classics movies proves she was a good person at heart and wished to share the good things in the world with those she loved.

You have my sympathy for what you will experience in the coming weeks. Allow yourself to grieve. Allow the acceptance of her passing to come naturally. Do not try to overthink it or try to conquer the feelings. It is a difficult time and only time can heal the wounds.

You are in our prayers. 

SansFin, thank you so much for your words of comfort.  It is still rather surreal for me.  Things haven't really sunk in yet, even though I'm coordinating and attending to all the arrangements with a clear head and a deceptively calm exterior.

#18 Marianne

Marianne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • LocationGreater Boston area

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:53 AM

Although I am relatively new to this thread, I am very sorry to hear this news. I wonder if your mother and my mother met in a parallel universe: They share so many movie and movie star likes!

I am looking forward to your re-posts. And I hope posting them will make the upcoming days easier for you.

• Bronxgirl48 likes this

#19 molo14

molo14

MadHat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • LocationChumley's Rest

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:29 AM

Your Mom was tops Barb! So sad to hear this news.

I loved hearing her thoughts on films and always enjoyed the conversations between you both that you would lovingly share with us. 

These past years you have been by her side through all the ups and downs. That is a treasure that can never be taken from you.

Take care of yourself during the difficult days ahead.  

Sending big hugs to you my dear friend.

God bless you and your wonderful mom.

#20 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:04 PM

Much love to you, dear girl. And God bless you as you remember her. It is never easy to say goodbye to the ones we love and  I know she will be dearly missed.

You took such good care of her and the stories you have told of your many conversations with her always brought a smile. So now it is time to take good care of yourself, little missy and know that many here are sending you love, and warm thoughts.

May God grant you his peace and bless you with his comfort now and always. Sending a huge hug your way, dear friend. :)

• Bronxgirl48 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users