We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

*CANDIDS* 2

• Please log in to reply
12230 replies to this topic

#41 bansi4

bansi4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,866 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 04:56 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

e01eb469-1121-4d51-98b9-d30c19d6651e_zps

WARREN BEATTY is 80 today

• Marianne and Princess of Tap like this

#42 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,523 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 04:45 PM

It's true, Princess, Ria Langham Gable was not movie-star beautiful. She had a matronly look but was far from homely. She must have been a striking beauty in her younger years.

I was thinking of including her in my original post but gave her a break because I'm an older woman myself. :) And it's also absolutely true that Gable would only marry women who were financially independent. I think he must have been really insecure about money after having struggled so hard to get to the top.

Here's Ria:

http://www.gettyimag...ure-id515421632

Midge--

At this stage of the game, we're all mature and still beautiful women.

There nothing wrong with Ria,if she had been married to a man her own age. In the minds of the MGM executives, they were very concerned as to how this marriage would look to his fans. However, no two ways about it, Ria really was a classy Lady.

There was something that Carole Lombard always repeated that made me think that Gable was just cheap or maybe he had worked very hard for his money and that's just the way it was.

Gable was going to have to give Ria about all his savings in order to get a divorce. And he simply refused to do that until MGM forced him to get married because of bad publicity.

Then after he married Carole, she had to demand that he support his dad because not doing so would not only be bad publicity, but generally in poor taste. She literally had to kick his *** every week to get him to sign those support checks.
  • Midge likes this

#43 Midge

Midge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 30 March 2017 - 04:29 PM

It's true, Princess,  Ria Langham Gable was not movie-star beautiful. She had a matronly look but was far from homely. She must have been a striking beauty in her younger years.

I was thinking of including her in my original post but gave her a break because I'm an older woman myself. :)  And it's also absolutely true that Gable would only marry women who were financially independent. I think he must have been really insecure about money after having struggled so hard to get to the top.

Here's Ria:

http://www.gettyimag...ure-id515421632

• Princess of Tap likes this

#44 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,523 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:19 AM

Not true - Gable's first two wives were quite older and were hardly ravishing beauties. But they were Stepping Stones to his career. The first wife was his drama and acting coach and the second one was his key to society.

The next three wives were independently wealthy - - one of the reasons I thought he never married Virginia Grey was that she had no money.

Clark Gable never married a woman unless he could get some kind of an advantage from her. Joan Crawford wrote in her autobiography that they were the perfect match-- and maybe they were considering how mercenary and blinded by self-interest, ambition they both were. Arguably a result of how they came up in life.

In terms of him with the plain and/or the ugly women - - of course, I'm talking about strictly non-romantic sexual encounters. That would imply that he had some kind of insecurities.
  • Midge likes this

#45 Midge

Midge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:52 AM

Maybe that was his preference but that so called theory clearly doesn't apply to Young or Lombard.

Gable only married beautiful women (except his first wife) and when single was only seen in public with willowy model types. But he had a reputation of not being very choosy about the women he had casual flings with in private, and there were many. Script girls, sales clerks - he didn't care.

#46 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,504 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:38 PM

From the horse's mouth himself - - Clark Gable often said that he preferred to be with ugly women or should we say plain ones because-- he said --they seem to be so much more grateful than the others. You can make of that what you will.

Maybe that was his preference but that so called theory clearly doesn't apply to Young or Lombard.

#47 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,523 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:03 PM

From the horse's mouth himself - - Clark Gable often said that he preferred to be with ugly women or should we say plain ones because-- he said --they seem to be so much more grateful than the others. You can make of that what you will.

#48 nakano

nakano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:58 PM

She probably was joking; Gable couldn't have been too bad - he and Joan Crawford had an affair off-and-on for years.

I read in some bio book -do not remember which one,read too many,- Gable and Cooper were missionary only!

• Midge likes this

#49 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:46 PM

I must say you have a point there. Carole Lombard used to joke that Gable was a "lousy lay."

She probably was joking; Gable couldn't have been too bad - he and Joan Crawford had an affair off-and-on for years.

• Midge likes this

#50 bansi4

bansi4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,866 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:43 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

OOO_zpso3iuza6s.jpg

FREDDIE BARTHOLOMEW (1924 - 1992)

• Marianne likes this

#51 bansi4

bansi4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,866 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:27 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

b88eefc9-5018-4937-9d01-f6f1eafed8ba_zps

GLORIA SWANSON (1899 - 1983)

• Marianne and Princess of Tap like this

#52 bansi4

bansi4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,866 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:27 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

ef77594b-0a3a-440d-b6f9-b470be6a9e99_zps

Re: CANDIDS II

Post by mongoII » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:20 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
ef77594b-0a3a-440d-b6f9-b470be6a9e99_zps
STERLING HAYDEN (1916 - 1986)

• ChristineHoard and Marianne like this

#53 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,504 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:28 PM

I must say you have a point there. Carole Lombard used to joke that Gable was a "lousy lay."

Reading about the making of Gone With the Wind,  all the ladies were charmed by Leslie Howard and not by Gable who was very insecure.    It is my understanding that Lombard helped Gable mature and that they were a strong, loving couple because she wasn't going to be dominated.

• Midge likes this

#54 Midge

Midge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:07 PM

Well one could view that fact in two very different ways;    yea,  after being married to Gable,  these women didn't every wish to be married to a man ever again, to ensure they don't end up married to another jack-a like Gable!

#55 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,504 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:30 PM

None of Clark Gable's five wives ever remarried. (Yes, I know, Carole Lombard doesn't count.) But still, he must have really been something!

Well one could view that fact in two very different ways;    yea,  after being married to Gable,  these women didn't every wish to be married to a man ever again, to ensure they don't end up married to another jack-a like Gable!

• Midge likes this

#56 Midge

Midge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:14 PM

OOOOOOOOOO_zpsxmus27cd.jpg

Birthday girl Virginia Grey and the love of her life Clark Gable.
She never married.

None of Clark Gable's five wives ever remarried. (Yes, I know, Carole Lombard doesn't count.) But still, he must have really been something!

#57 fredbaetz

fredbaetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts
  • LocationWashington state

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:53 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

OOOOOOOOOOOOOO_zpstqwujfpg.jpg

LOLA  ALBRIGHT  (1925 - 2017)  R,I,P,

Sorry, but that is Simone Signoret and not Lola Albright...

#58 bansi4

bansi4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,866 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:25 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

OOOOOOOOOOOOOO_zpstqwujfpg.jpg

LOLA  ALBRIGHT  (1925 - 2017)  R,I,P,

#59 bansi4

bansi4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,866 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:53 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

OOOOOOOOOOOOO_zpsws3ecm2r.jpeg

RICHARD CONTE  (1910 - 1975)

• Marianne likes this

#60 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,523 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:08 PM

OOOOOOOOOOOOO_zpsiqi5dlrz.jpg
Bette Davis sits beside birthday girl Joan Crawford
on the set of "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

The Actress and The Movie Star
  • Marianne likes this

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Midge, Google (1)