We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

uncensored mata hari - what is wrong with it

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 PrinceSaliano

PrinceSaliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,596 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 02:09 PM

> {quote:title=goldensilents wrote:}{quote}
> Dream on, johnbabe, dream on. If TCM ever shows the restored version I'll eat my hat. :)
>
> We've had this discussion before but I just don't accept the notion that the Code came into being to destroy films. It's totally bogus. Many of the best films of all time were made during the Code years and when the Code ended in 1968 almost overnight many films became crass and ugly and a waste of time, at least to my mind.
>
> That's why I love classic films over modern films. They have far more to offer in terms of enjoyment and inspiration. Not everyone wants to see the inside of a toilet bowl because it's "realistic". Some of us want to see beauty instead.
Please list some pre-Codes that showed the inside of a toilet bowl. Thanks.

#22 goldensilents

goldensilents

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:02 PM

Dream on, johnbabe, dream on. If TCM ever shows the restored version I'll eat my hat. :)

We've had this discussion before but I just don't accept the notion that the Code came into being to destroy films. It's totally bogus. Many of the best films of all time were made during the Code years and when the Code ended in 1968 almost overnight many films became crass and ugly and a waste of time, at least to my mind.

That's why I love classic films over modern films. They have far more to offer in terms of enjoyment and inspiration. Not everyone wants to see the inside of a toilet bowl because it's "realistic". Some of us want to see beauty instead.

#23 johnbabe

johnbabe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:05 PM

happy birthday hays code, you managed to destroy Garbo's Mata Hari, Susan Lenox, and Two Faced Woman, the code was just hypocrital, what responsible parent would take or allow an underage child (under 17) to even see these films....yes, they are full of sex and inuendos, but look at your TV commercials today for films, etc., they are just so explicit...besides Garbo's movies and her style was sublte sex you either got her meaning or it went over your head....the hays code was out to destroy realistic film making, like Baby Face, people will continue to do those things to get ahead, and Mata Hari was no school teacher, she was a spy who used sex to get secrets, how can you candy coat that? Give us this film UNCUT, PLEASE, TCM, your viewers, believe me, are mature enough to see the entire film!
  • hepclassic likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users