We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

describe the scene game

• Please log in to reply
4122 replies to this topic

#21 starliteyes

starliteyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,185 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 04:38 PM

A happy, singing riveter (yes, you read that correctly) becomes distracted when he spies an attractive young woman lounging around her bedroom in her negligee.

#22 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,870 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:35 AM

That's the one, Starlit.  Actually, I think I bent the rules a bit, because I described the main plot of the film, rather than one particular scene.   Anyway, Starlit, it's your turn.

#23 starliteyes

starliteyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,185 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:29 PM

All I Desire

#24 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,870 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:08 PM

This shouldn't be too much of a challenge.

An actress returns to her hometown, her husband, and three children.

#25 Azure

Azure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,604 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:27 AM

Thanks, Star. Open thread.

Screen Goddess of the Week -- Greta Garbo

#26 starliteyes

starliteyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,185 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:21 PM

Excellent detective work, Azure!  

Your thread.

#27 Azure

Azure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,604 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:07 PM

Is it Her Private Affair? (This movie was on earlier today, but I didn't get a chance to watch it. I read the plot summary on the schedule.)

#28 starliteyes

starliteyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,185 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:02 PM

The blackmailer has a weak little assistant who he treats very badly.  The assistant threatens to kill him, but doesn't.

#29 starliteyes

starliteyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,185 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:39 PM

The woman asks her husband for the money, but she refuses to tell him what she needs it for.  Even so, he agrees to give it to her.  The only drawback is that she needs it immediately, but he tells her that he won’t be able to get it until the next day.

#30 starliteyes

starliteyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,185 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:13 PM

While on a trip to Italy, a married woman is attracted to another man.  When she returns home, the man threatens to blackmail her with several letters she wrote him unless she gets him the money he demands.

#31 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:26 PM

The Loves of Edgar Allan Poe?

Yes starliteyes, you got it.

The movie was actually made by the Fox B Unit in 1942, and it shows, unfortunately. It has a lot of story for its brief running time, and much is explained in voiceovers. The sets and costumes are decent, and were probably recycled from other films on the lot. It is an interesting story, although not done justice, and not sure if entirely accurate historically. It stars my favorite Linda Darnell as the young wife, Virginia Gilmore as the first girl he loved, and John Sheppard/ Sheppard Strudwick as Poe himself.

Good job starliteyes. Your turn.

#32 starliteyes

starliteyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,185 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:32 PM

The Loves of Edgar Allan Poe?

• Azure likes this

#33 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:22 PM

Ok I just wrote out another long clue, but it disappeared. So I will give a couple of brief clues, and if no one gets it, give the answer.

This story is a true story and takes place in the 19th Century.

The man, being a writer, fights to strengthen copyright laws for authors.

He loses several jobs due to his drinking, and his young wife gets sick and dies because there is no money for medicine.

#34 Azure

Azure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,604 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:57 PM

even with all your great clues, I don't know the answer, but I'm getting really curious (sounds like a good film..)...anybody?

I've thrown in the towel, too.  I'm dying to know which movie this is.  Please give us the answer, Arturo. 

• starliteyes likes this

#35 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,334 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:50 AM

even with all your great clues, I don't know the answer, but I'm getting really curious (sounds like a good film..)...anybody?

• Azure likes this

#36 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:42 PM

Returning to his hometown, he is heartbroken to find out his stepmother has died. At a party, the girl he once loved confesses that her father never gave her his letters, and she married someone else when she thought he had forgotten her. He devotes his efforts to his work with some success, and to his young bride, but all that happened leads him to drink more and more.

#37 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:45 AM

The son goes to see an aunt, and meets her daughter. He falls in love with his cousin and marries her. He gets two job offers, and takes the one in his hometown, to show his stepfather and his ex that he is doing well.

#38 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:36 PM

During this confrontation, back in his home town, the son finds out his girlfriend is engaged to marry another. Dejected, he sets off, but struggles to make a living. He finally joins the army, and tries to get his stepfather to try to get him an important post, to no avail.

#39 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:39 PM

At college, the son gambles and wracks up debt. He also prefers to indulge in his hobby to write, despite his stepfather wishing him to study law. When the dean informs the stepfather of the son's debts and shiftless ways, he confronts the stepson, who refuses to consider a law career. The stepfather refuses to pay the son's debts or his tuition.

#40 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:42 PM

While away boarding at college, the son writes regularly to his girlfriend, but never gets a response. He doesn't know the girl's father is intercepting the correspondence, and that she thinks he has forgotten her.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users