We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

RICH'S B (AND WORSE) HORROR MOVIE THREAD

• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

#41 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,583 posts
  • LocationThe French Riviera (in my dreams)

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:33 PM

THANKS SO MUCH, RICH!! 

Paul Muni and SHE DEVIL -- this is why I love TCM (and posters like you!)

#42 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,926 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:17 PM

I'm a big boy.

#43 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,583 posts
  • LocationThe French Riviera (in my dreams)

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

I've got to see SHE DEVIL! And it's got Dr. Cyclops in it too!

#44 patful

patful

Advanced Age

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:05 PM

Thanks, Rich. They spared no expense on that car wreck. I love the perfectly-sized hole in the door.

#45 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,926 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:05 PM

She Devil (1957)

Directed by Kurt Neumann

Jack Kelly plays a doctor who thinks he can cure all disease if he can get the human body to adapt to anything. Since insects seem to have the most power to adapt, Kelly explains his theory to a fellow doctor, played by Albert Dekker:  “I used fruit flies. I putrefied the bodies, injected a cow, and produced the serum. After clarifying with albumin, operating in vacuum and rectifying with alcohol –“but Decker cuts him off with “Never mind the technique now.”  Thank you. Kelly has already experimented on several animals, and is now ready to test his serum on a human.  Dekker isn’t so thrilled with the idea, but when a terminal tuberculosis patient comes along, Dekker consents to have Kelly work his magic.

In short order, the patient, played by Mari Blanchard, gets well … too well.  She can’t be harmed, can transform her hair color at will from black to blonde and back again, and turns into a first class b****. Yum.  Kelly is smitten, while Dekker pretty much keeps stating the medical equivalent of “I think we effed this up.”

Kelly and Dekker throw a coming out party for Blanchard, and one of the guests (John Archer) gets an eyeful of the dame. He hits on her while his wife watches.  The wife calls Blanchard a trollop (or “ho,” in modern parlance) and cracks her one across the cheek. Shortly thereafter, exit the wife.  And shortly thereafter, Archer has a new wife. And shortly thereafter, Blanchard gets bored with Archer. And shortly thereafter – well, you know where this is heading.

Dekker finally figures out a way to anesthetize Blanchard; he uses the basic fact that no organism can exist in its own waste. (Don’t worry;  they are not going to back up the toilets.)  Anyway, they are able to operate on Blanchard, and remove her pineal gland, which apparently has too much pineal stuff in it. Now her fate is left to a higher power (the film’s producer).

Despite the overall silliness, the movie does present an interesting idea. This film was based on the short story “The Adaptive Ultimate,” which is clever and took me all of ten minutes to read.   There is also a 30-minute radio dramatization from 1949, available on the internet.

This film works mainly because of Blanchard and her YOWZA factor. She seems to be having the time of her life. Every one of her entrances is announced by the same saxophone theme. She sashays all over the place in tight outfits and is sexy as all get out, whatever that means. Kelly acts stupid most of the time; however, I would imagine that’s how most guys would act around Blanchard. Dekker gets a little irritating with his constant philosophizing and “we must do something” attitude as cast members are dropping like flies. Also, he wears a bad bowtie and his hairpiece is ridiculous. For fans of the “Addams Family” tv series, Kelly and Dekker’s housekeeper is played by Blossom Rock, aka, “Grandmama.”

Blanchard gets overwhelmed reciting the Pledge of Allegiance.

7lTjrM3.png

“Officer, does this dress make me look fat?”

fNBHYnd.png

“I just want to go over the possible side effects for this new serum. It may cause explosive diarrhea, vomiting, ulcers, hair loss, and an erection that lasts for more than four hours.”

ImGWYbA.png

“Now take Bonzo here. Just an ordinary chimp, but after getting my serum, he became Commissioner of the Internal Revenue Service.”

5tLN3Ym.png

“Dear, this might be a bad time to mention this, but I forgot to pay the car insurance.”

mPbACX5.png

If this isn’t a good enough reason to watch the film, I don’t know what the hell is.

LWtaCgc.png

• patful likes this

I'm a big boy.

#46 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,926 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

Coming soon:  She Devil

I'm a big boy.

#47 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,926 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:18 PM

You're welcome, and thanks for stopping by.

I'm a big boy.

#48 patful

patful

Advanced Age

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:26 PM

Good stuff. This is one of my favorite features of this place. Thanks, Rich.

#49 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

Calling Barranca. Calling Barranca.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:46 PM

:P

Nancy Walters really has that Donna Reed thing going on.. I'm hooked!

FdX2C0H.gif

#50 joefilmone

joefilmone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:15 PM

It was later remade as "Altered States"

#51 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,926 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:54 PM

Monster on the Campus (1958)

Directed by Jack Arnold

Arthur Franz plays a college professor at Dunsfield University, or U Duns, for short. Franz orders a coelacanth (pronounced “fish”) from Madagascar. Presumably he was too lazy to drive to Red Lobster©.  Troy Donahue, as one of Franz’ students, arrives with the frozen fish, but it starts to thaw out and drip bloody water. Donahue’s dog laps the junk up and suddenly turns wild.  Every member of the audience can see the dog has grown fangs, but this little detail seems to escape all the actors for some time. Meanwhile, Franz, who apparently never took a course in fish-handling, picks up the creature by the mouth and is promptly injured by its teeth.  Fortunately, a nurse (Helen Westcott) is on the scene, since she just tried to put the make on Franz, to no avail.  Franz starts feeling sick, so Westcott offers to drive him home. Big mistake.  Franz’ fiancée, played by Joanna Moore, arrives at Franz’ house, finds the place has been trashed, and finds Franz unconscious in the back yard. And Westcott is hanging from a tree. 

Detectives arrive and immediately suspect Franz, until they find some bizarre-looking handprints on the premises. Franz goes back to work, and finally notices the dog’s fangs. When he mentions this to his  colleagues, they check the dog and it’s normal. Franz then examines blood samples taken from the dog and finds some weird bacteria in them.  When he shows the samples to his colleagues, they also turn out normal (the samples, not the colleagues). Meanwhile, a dragonfly takes a bite out of the fish, then returns later having grown to about two feet long.  1) Franz decides to capture it, risking the lives of himself, Donahue, and Donahue’s girlfriend.  2) He lures the dragonfly to the fish, then he and Donahue throw a net over it. 3) When the dragonfly tries to break free, Franz plunges a knife into it.  These three steps are what we call the “scientific method.”  Now the paying public starts wondering how Franz will manage to infect himself again.  This time the fish drips blood into his pipe, and he smokes it (at this point, my girlfriend say “ewwwwwwwwwww, that’s disgusting”).  Next thing we know, a pithecanthropus erectus is running around the campus. A detective (Ross Elliot) is murdered, and Franz is found unconscious again.  Nobody sees a pattern here.

Franz eventually figures out how the dog and dragonfly got infected, but it takes him forever to realize what happened to him – until he smells his pipe and it reminds him of something. Yes, it smells like Luca Brasi.  So Franz decides to take a leave of absence and goes to a cabin to test his theory. He sets up a tape recorder and some cameras (yes, he wants a selfie), then injects himself with the fish stuff.  Meanwhile, Moore decides to drive out to the cabin. Good timing. There is the obligatory “monster carrying the girl” around aimlessly, and a really bad attempt by a park ranger to stop Franz.  The ranger is played by Dick Cutting (sorry censors, that’s really his name). I won’t give away the ending, but Dunsfield University announces that Franz classes have been cancelled … forever.

The movie isn’t as bad as it sounds, nor is it as good as it could have been. Franz does well; Moore is cute and looks like Joanne Woodward. Judson Pratt, as the police lieutenant, is irritating and incompetent, and seems to be mailing his part in. His Massachusetts accent doesn’t help. Whit Bissell plays a doctor, but for once, he’s not trying to transform a teenager into a monster. Ross Elliott finally gets to wear a realistic hairpiece.  Donahue is out-acted by his dog.

“Say, would you let Gabe Kaplan know his bust has arrived?”

FOAGvM7.png

This is why guys become college professors.

I8kK0TK.png

“Darn, I’m new at these same-sex marriages. Which finger does the ring go on?”

jLkSOIK.png

“Make a movie with Sandra Dee? Who the hell is that?”

bxO54iO.png

Arthur Franz demonstrates the correct way to carve the Thanksgiving dragonfly.

2Wj8Z6m.png

“Nurse, would you mind giving me a hand with this? My ichthy is sore.”

M8nCr4z.png

• patful likes this

I'm a big boy.

#52 joefilmone

joefilmone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:53 PM

Not top of the line Jack Arnold- but a fun Universal monster movie- I love that giant dragonfly!

#53 patful

patful

Advanced Age

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:08 AM

Hmm...Troy Donahue...it must be good.

#54 Uttam kumar Sarkare

Uttam kumar Sarkare

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationBangladesh

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:48 AM

I really enjoy the post.

• Uttam kumar Sarkare likes this

#55 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,926 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:12 PM

Coming soon:   Monster on the Campus

I'm a big boy.

#56 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,739 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

I love that movie. It gave me recurring dreams for years after seeing it at the age of 7. Wrote about it over at imdb.
White Knights, Manginas and Simps, oh my!

#57 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,926 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

The Astounding She-Monster (1957)
Directed by Ronald V. Ashcroft

Astounding that anyone would fork over money to see this trash.

For the first several minutes of this thank-goodness-it’s-only-a-sixty-two-minute film, we are subjected to blathering narration about outer space. Once that ends, we get even more narration, describing the action as a bunch of crooks kidnap a blonde socialite, a geologist walks his dog, and a female creature lands on earth. The first lines of dialogue go to Robert Clarke (the geologist), who sees something crash near his cabin, talks to his dog, and says “hmm.”

The crooks consist of Keene Duncan, Ewing Brown, and Jeanne Tatum as Duncan’s drunken squeeze. Duncan alternately refers to Tatum as “crocked,” “fried,” and a “lush.” Brown is an idiot, and is reprimanded by Duncan: “The way you keep puttin’ your foot in your kisser it’s a wonder you don’t get athlete’s mouth.”

After they kidnap the socialite, played by Marilyn Harvey, their car runs off the road when driver Brown thinks he sees a glowing woman. They show up at Clarke’s cabin and try to steal his jeep, but the lights don’t work. Brown thinks he sees the shiny babe again, so he goes outside to investigate. He goes belly up when the alien touches her. Duncan goes to see what happened to Brown, spots the shimmering chick, and empties his pistol, to no avail. He manages to drag Brown’s body back to the cabin. In short order, the fluorescent female crashes through the cabin window and everyone runs out.

The remainder of the film consists of people running in and out of the cabin, I kid you not. No one has enough sense to just speed off in one direction and outrun the alien, who seems to back up constantly, or walk with one shoulder pointed ahead of the other. When she is not killing humans, she is destroying the animal kingdom. She offs a snake, a dog, and a black bear. Finally, genius Clarke has an idea and throws an acid concoction at her (it’s one-third nitric acid, two-thirds hydrochloric acid). She dissolves, along with the audience. Clarke finds a note in her pendant, which either says she is an emissary from another world, or “Inspected by No. 12.”

I can’t even say the acting stinks, because it is non-existent – so how could it stink if it does not exist? The shrieking music score adds to the viewer’s discomfort. As the alien, the statuesque Shirley Kilpatrick looks pretty garish with horrifying bad makeup, wearing a skintight sparkling jumpsuit which the special effects guys make so blurred you will get a headache. Clarke says, “In order for her to give off alpha and gamma rays which are the basis for her radium poisoning, she’s got to have a considerable portion of radium in her physical construction.” Looks more like silicone to me.

I’m just curious as to why the rear-view mirror is sitting on the dashboard.

RMd8G8J.jpg

A rare still from the unreleased “Lassie’s career goes into the toilet.”

5Nvpkar.jpg

Jeanne Tatum demonstrates what it means for two lines to be skew.

tRCrIIi.png

Definitive proof that aliens also suffer from gallstones.

jv7l7y1.png

“Hey fellas, get a load of these !”

9tGhk5t.png

I'm a big boy.

#58 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,926 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

Yes, the poster is much better than the film.
  • Uttam kumar Sarkare likes this

I'm a big boy.

#59 joefilmone

joefilmone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

That is one cool sexy poster.

#60 scsu1975