We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

The Underrated...

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:27 PM

Just saw the comments about one of my favorite Pre-Code actresses, the beautiful and talented Helen Twelvetrees.  I have many of her films but am hoping too that we will get a copy of The Cat Creeps!  I think I read somewhere that it is a remake of Cat and the Canary '27.  Speaking of Laura LaPlante, I too enjoyed her performance in The Cat and the Canary.  I have several of her films.

Florence Bates, a very talented actress of the 40's and 50's  is highly underrated.  She was an excellent Mrs. Van Hopper in Rebecca '40.  Whether a forbidding wealthy snob or a gentle person (The Second Woman) she turned in a fine performance.  She was great in Saratoga Trunk as well.

I love to collect 30's and 40's films, which are my favorite film decades, though I wasn't born yet.  Also, I enjoy many 50's and 60's situation comedies which are also underrated.  My sister and I loved The Honeymooners,  Our Miss Brooks, Topper, The Life of Riley, My Little Margie, etc.  Though we enjoyed I Love Lucy we also watched many of these other programs growing up in the 50's and 60's.  Some of these programs are released on DVD, but I am still waiting for others; The Life of Riley,  Our Miss Brooks, Mr. and Mrs. North, etc.

#2 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:12 PM

Hi!  I love Pre-Code films too.  A lot of our famous actresses of the Golden Age (Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Myrna Loy, Sylvia Sidney, etc.) were just wonderful in them!  Under-rated actresses Sally Eilers, Arline Judge, Aline McMahon, Ann Dvorak, Madge Evans, Marion Nixon, etc. are not heard of much.    I am glad that we are finally seeing the films of the very talented Marion Davies!

It is wonderful to converse with other discerning classic film fans!  Most of my friends are not aware of these great films and look blank when I mention the ones I like best. 

But I have the same problem about classic rock music though before my time.  I have recently discovered another world before the 60's!  There were many fine rock groups that seem to have faded from the the public view.  Fortunately I have found them on-line!)  I am starting to know the names of many, as I am now more familiar with our wonderful actors and actresses of the Golden Age. 

#3 mistervegan

mistervegan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Locationmilwaukee, wisconsin

Posted 13 September 2014 - 01:25 AM

this is quite sad, if true.     smh.gif

i just looked up west's name in my library's dvd catalogue,

there's another movie (horror) that he directed called 'the bat whispers' (1930).

it stars chester morris and una merkel.   i'm gonna reserve it.

Ya know, Roland West. The guy who punched Thelma Todd in the mouth, knocking her out, and then started her car while it sat in her garage and then locked her in for good measure ... Yea that guy ...

• MCannady1 likes this

#4 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,235 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:25 PM

i'll second the comment that Ann Dvorak doesn't get much love these days. A very good actress. I*f Love Is a Racket* runs again, be sure to check it out, it's a very good movie.

In the Warner Brothers Pre-Code special TCM showed last Friday,   Ann was mentioned.   It was interesting that they said her career was never the same after the pre-code era.     Ann really was able to push and convey a lot of emotions especially as it related to certain topics and with production code restrictions watering down those topics,  it put too much of a damper on her unique talents.

At least we can view her in these pre-codes!  

• MCannady1 likes this

#5 ziggyelman

ziggyelman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:22 PM

i'll second the comment that Ann Dvorak doesn't get much love these days. A very good actress. I*f Love Is a Racket* runs again, be sure to check it out, it's a very good movie.
  • MCannady1 likes this

#6 silentothirties

silentothirties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:57 AM

you sure about that?

#7 precoder

precoder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:49 PM

"Corsair" and "Alibi" can still be had if you look around. I think kino released them in the past. These are two of the rarities Roland West made. Ya know, Roland West. The guy who punched Thelma Todd in the mouth, knocking her out, and then started her car while it sat in her garage and then locked her in for good measure ... Yea that guy ...

#8 HarryLong

HarryLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:49 PM

And speaking of under-rated - though he's not completely ignored by TCM programmers - Chester Morris doesn't get the respect he deserves.

#9 HarryLong

HarryLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:00 PM

I'd like to see more of LaPlante, too; I'm mostly familiar with her silent films (CAT AND THE CANARY and THE LAST WARNING, natch). But she didn't stick around at Universal for very long after the coming of sound. Right after KING OF JAZZ she went to Warner Bros (I think) & then made a few films for them in England before retiring (TCM has shown at least one: THE CHURCH MOUSE), though she did do a few more film & TV appearances after a 10 year hiatus.

#10 precoder

precoder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:16 AM

I'd love to see some Laura La Plante come out of that Universal graveyard too ... The way we never see her is ridiculous ...

#11 CineMaven

CineMaven

CineMaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,753 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:21 AM

Just saw the great Dvorak in "Heat Lightning" the other morning. She doesn't have much to do, but when she has her meltdown in this movie....aaaaaah Dvorak's tops!! A more current discus-
sion on this film appears elsewhere on this Message Board.

"You're passing up a great opportunity. Where I spit, no grass grows...ever!"

#12 PrinceSaliano

PrinceSaliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,596 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:52 AM

Helen played in SHE GETS HER MAN (1935) starring ZaSu Pitts. Would love to see that resurrected from the Universal graveyard.

#13 precoder

precoder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:52 PM

Sally Eilers was a pretty darn good actress and so was Ann Dvorak ... Neither get enough credit ...

I saw Helen Twelvetrees in "The Young Bride" ... Some of that movie is so, so naughty. This is the one where Arline Judge wiggles her backside and says "Boop-boop-be-doop" ...

#14 FrankieAnne

FrankieAnne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Locationon a ranch in north Northern California where I work but cell phones don't

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:43 PM

I just watched my first Helen Twelvetrees film last week - Millie. I thought she was surprisingly good and couldn't figure out why I hadn't heard so much more about her than I have. I'd like to see some more movies with her in them.

#15 PrinceSaliano

PrinceSaliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,596 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:37 AM

I'm a big Helen Twelvetrees fan. Her films turned up more regularly on AMC than they do on TCM. I'm hoping a print of the long-misplaced THE CAT CREEPS turns up.

#16 musicalnovelty

musicalnovelty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,215 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:27 AM

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}
> Helen Twelvetrees just doesn't get the credit she's due.
>
Is she 12 times better than Dorothy Tree?

Dorothy Tree actually is fine in the just-shown CONFESSIONS OF A NAZI SPY and everything else I've seen her in. Another title that comes to mind immediately is HERE COMES THE NAVY (1934) in which she's a blonde.

#17 CineMaven

CineMaven

CineMaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,753 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:07 AM

Florence Bates...we don't hear enuf about her.
  • MCannady1 likes this

#18 CineMaven

CineMaven

CineMaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,753 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:22 PM

:D

#19 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,927 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:06 PM

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}
> Helen Twelvetrees just doesn't get the credit she's due.

True. She is better than a dozen other actresses.

I'm a big boy.

#20 CineMaven

CineMaven

CineMaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,753 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:53 AM

Helen Twelvetrees just doesn't get the credit she's due.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users