We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Good Neighbor Sam

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,953 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 06:57 PM

At first I was confused and felt you were talking about the Cooper \ Sheridan movie Good Sam.   That movie had a fine cast also but it wasn't very good.    The two stars never really clicked in that one.  I haven't seen this Lemmon movies so I hope TCM shows it soon.

Hi james,

It still hasn't aired since you posted your comment a year ago. But when it does turn up on TCM again, I think you'll enjoy it. It's overlong in parts, but a lot of the comedy works thanks to Lemmon's efforts.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:53 PM

I thought it to be a marvelous comedy. The cast is sensational as is the script.

At first I was confused and felt you were talking about the Cooper \ Sheridan movie Good Sam.   That movie had a fine cast also but it wasn't very good.    The two stars never really clicked in that one.  I haven't seen this Lemmon movies so I hope TCM shows it soon.

#3 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,968 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:08 PM

"Good neighbor Sam" is great fun. Jack Lemmon is as terrific as always. And Dorothy Provine is perfect as the wife. So beautiful and talented, but after a few Disney comedies, she sort of disappeared. I don't understand why. Anyone have information on her?

Terrence.

#4 DougieB

DougieB

I Love Melvin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:55 AM

It seems like there was a very small window when Romy was working in films in this country, so Jack was indeed lucky to snag her. She was always one of my favorite "exotic" imports. She died in her forties, as I recall, which is tragic. Back to the movie...Yes, it's fun. I think this one got it right where "Under The Yum Yum Tree" got it wrong.

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces

#5 CineMaven

CineMaven

CineMaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,753 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:11 AM

B'cuz of this film, I've loved eating macaroni which is the first time the use of food in a film influenced me in real life. Jack Lemmon...boy he could do it all: comedy, drama, and eat.

"You're passing up a great opportunity. Where I spit, no grass grows...ever!"

#6 CineMaven

CineMaven

CineMaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,753 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:53 PM

I'm not sure, SCSU, but if you hum a few bars...

#7 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,939 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:04 PM

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}
>Any thoughts??

Yes, Why is it we park in a driveway and drive on a parkway?

I'm a big boy.

#8 CineMaven

CineMaven

CineMaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,753 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:54 AM

Jack Lemmon juggling Dorothy Provine and Romy Schneider. This is really one of the most underrated ro-coms from the early sixties. Any thoughts??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users