We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

What Are You Watching Now?

• Please log in to reply
2077 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,265 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:11 PM

Someone uploaded ROME EXPRESS (1932) on YouTube. I had been wanting to see this one.

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#2 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,313 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:39 PM

Pickup on South Street (1953) - My Retro Flix via Roku

w/ Richard Widmark, Jean Peters, Thelma Ritter, Richard Kiley, Willis Bouchey and Milburn Stone. Plus, down in uncredited land, Parley Baer and the one-and-only Alan Reed

This Roku channel has a number of interesting choices. But I figured I'd stick with Mr. Widmark.

I loved this movie! This film hooked me from beginning to end.  The scene with Thelma Ritter in her bedroom was heartbreaking.

• LiamCasey likes this

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#3 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:17 PM

Pickup on South Street (1953) - My Retro Flix via Roku

w/ Richard Widmark, Jean Peters, Thelma Ritter, Richard Kiley, Willis Bouchey and Milburn Stone. Plus, down in uncredited land, Parley Baer and the one-and-only Alan Reed

This Roku channel has a number of interesting choices. But I figured I'd stick with Mr. Widmark.

• speedracer5 and LawrenceA like this

#4 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:51 PM

Panic in the Streets (1950) - My Retro Flix via Roku

w/ Richard Widmark, Paul Douglas, Barbara Bel Geddes, Jack Palance and Zero Mostel

Haven't seen this one since the 1980s. And, so far, the interplay between Mr. Widmark and Mr. Douglas is as good as I remembered. And Mr. Palance sure hit the ground running in his movie debut.

Would make a nice double feature with Coma (1978) which had Mr. Widmark on the other side of a medical mystery.

• TopBilled likes this

#5 SansFin

SansFin

U. S. Citizen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,854 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:43 AM

I am very happy that: FOTV on Roku has begun consistently providing schedules for the majority of their movie channels. It had been somewhat drudgery to find what was being shown because to click on any of their channels meant waiting through a commercial before the program began. This was understandable for one channel but it became tiresome to wait through the same commercial six times because you are checking six channels for a suitable program.

It was because of their new schedule that I learned of: Strange Case of Hennessy (1933). I have acknowledged weakness for comedy mysteries and so it was natural that a musical comedy mystery would attract me.

This is a delightful little movie! It is a parody of: Philo Vance detective movies. This is the first time that I have seen: Cliff Edwards and so can not speak as to his usual style but he is perfect in this role as: Silo Dance. I feel that if he had been even the least little bit more flamboyant then it would have been a disaster but he walked that fine line between outrageously silly and outrageously bad and kept it good. He played the character precisely as storyline and dialogue envisioned.

I liked the movie so very much that I investigated a little and found that: Margie Hines who appears as a newlywed had a career which received little fanfare. IMDB.com lists fifty-eight movie roles for her and all were in short movies but for: Mr. Bug Goes to Town (1941). She is listed as: "voice, uncredited" in all but three of her roles. By the Sea (1931) and Piano Tooners (1932) were her only roles in which she appears to have been included in the movies' credits. Strange Case of Hennessy (1933) appears to be her only on-screen acting role and it is an "uncredited" role. I learned also that she was the original voice of: Betty Boop and occasionally the voice of: Olive Oyl

I recommend this movie very highly to any person who wishes a charming little diversion. It is available on: FOTV On Demand on Roku. I am sorry to say that I do not know of its availability elsewhere.

My Avatar: Little girl ghost from "義足のMoses"

Russian nesting dolls are full of themselves.

#6 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:18 AM

"The Haunting" (1963)--In the dark, just by the light of the television and computer.  Heck of a good scare movie.  Best ghost story I've seen.

#7 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:48 PM

While waiting for my cream cheese and butter to soften for my chocolate cream cheese frosting, I'm apparently watching another musical--The Daughter of Rosie O'Grady.  This movie I recorded on St. Patrick's Day and is actually a movie I haven't seen before.  It's an early Debbie Reynolds role, apparently it's her first speaking role.  S.Z. "Cuddles" Sakall is in this film and he's actually billed as "Cuddles" Sakall.  I haven't seen that before.

The first thing I noticed is that the music played during the parade is the same music that Jan uses in her pom pom girl tryouts in an episode of The Brady Bunch.  

Star Gordon MacRae is pretty bland, but I wanted to see this early Debbie Reynolds movie.

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#8 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,098 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:42 PM

Splitting my viewing between ncaa basketball and the first couple seasons of Moonlighting..it was really pretty clever in the beginning...and after reading Speedracer5's comments, I really want cake..🤔
  • speedracer5 likes this

#9 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:15 PM

I'm watching musicals right now while I cook dinner and make my husband a dessert (chocolate cake w/ chocolate cream cheese frosting, from scratch.  No boxes or frosting containers here).  I watched Meet Me in St. Louis first.  I never tire of that movie and Tom Drake is so adorable.  I can see why Judy Garland's character was crazy about him.

Now I'm watching Three Little Words with Fred Astaire, Vera-Ellen and Red Skelton.  I love Vera-Ellen.  She's a fantastic dancer and deserves to be more well known than she is today.

I may switch to noir later tonight when it gets dark outside and I'm done with dinner and all that. Or I may watch more musicals.  Who knows.

• shutoo likes this

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#10 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,265 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:25 PM

Watching Movin' On-- there's something satisfying about this trucking show from the mid-70s. I think it's because it's all filmed on location, so you really get a sense of how America was at the time. Plus they have all these great method actors in guest starring roles, with locals playing the background characters. It's a great narrative "experiment." 

The one I'm watching now features Patricia Neal and her real-life daughter Tessa Dahl. And Gary Merrill also has a role. They're cast as coal miners in a West Virginia community divided by a strike. The two truck drivers (Claude Akins & Frank Converse) bring a delivery and get caught up in the politics. 

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#11 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:16 PM

Big House, U.S.A. (1955) - Charge! TV

w/ Broderick Crawford, Ralph Meeker, William Talman (Hamilton Burger a criminal?!?), Lon Chaney, Jr., Charles Bronson, Felicia Farr and Willis Bouchey

• TopBilled likes this

#12 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:15 AM

The Big Caper (1957) - Charge! TV

w/ Rory Calhoun, Mary Costa and James Gregory

Different day. Different genre.

• TopBilled likes this

#13 NickAndNora34

NickAndNora34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • LocationWalt Disney World

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:02 AM

Right now, for me, it's a toss-up between "Three Coins in the Fountain," "The Third Man," and "The Day the Earth Stood Still." I can't seem to really be able to focus on just one film at a time right now. 

"The prettier the flower, the farther from the path." -Into the Woods 

#14 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:57 PM

I just finished watching the premier of The Wizard of Oz (always a favorite). After that I plan to tape the third Lord of the Rings movie.

#15 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,265 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:49 PM

I've been watching The Golden Girls on Hulu. Looking at a few of the episodes that have the highest ratings on the IMDb.

A major issue I have with this series is the way the main characters are too stereotypical. Not only in terms of how women can be judged on the surface (as smart, as dumb, as oversexed or as wisecracking) but there are broad ethnic stereotypes (the Italians, the Scandinavians, the French southerners). The men, when they appear, are often presented as schmucks.  The show's writers try to be progressive in terms of storylines, but the characters are very one-dimensional and hinder any such progress.

#16 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

The Mummy (1932) - TCM

#17 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:41 PM

Frankenstein (1931) - TCM

If I was brave enough to take part in a TCM programming challenge, there would probably be at least one day on my schedule that would look a lot like today!

#18 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,380 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:55 PM

Horror of Dracula (1958) - TCM

I wonder how many more years it will take before this one is released on Blu-Ray in the United States?

Me, too! I've heard about the recent BFI restoration, so there's hope.

• LiamCasey likes this

#19 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:46 PM

Horror of Dracula (1958) - TCM

I wonder how many more years it will take before this one is released on Blu-Ray in the United States?

#20 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,265 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:02 PM

Working on my review for 

screen-shot-2017-03-24-at-9-38-37-am.png

• LiamCasey likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users