We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

What Are You Watching Now?

• Please log in to reply
2407 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,673 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:56 PM

Working on my review for

screen-shot-2017-10-20-at-3-01-45-pm.png

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:49 PM

The Carol Burnett Show episode in which Betty Grable and Martha Raye guest star. I love both of them, so it was quite the treat for me to find this, and on YouTube, no less. There really was no one who could mug as well as Martha, my goodness. 

She was wonderful..I always loved her take on classic films...I can't see a reference to GWTW without thinking of Burnett wearing those velvet drapes!

#3 NickAndNora34

NickAndNora34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationRedondo Beach, CA

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:25 PM

The Carol Burnett Show episode in which Betty Grable and Martha Raye guest star. I love both of them, so it was quite the treat for me to find this, and on YouTube, no less. There really was no one who could mug as well as Martha, my goodness. 

"Playing with matches, a girl can get burned." -Fiddler on the Roof 

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,673 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:22 AM

"The Grand Inquisitor" (2008)--Knockout short film by Eddie Muller.  If TCM ends up not showing this, it's on YouTube.  I hope TCM shows it, movie is worth the watch.

It's airing today on TCM. Late afternoon.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#5 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,228 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:49 PM

"The Grand Inquisitor" (2008)--Knockout short film by Eddie Muller.  If TCM ends up not showing this, it's on YouTube.  I hope TCM shows it, movie is worth the watch.

• mr6666 and LawrenceA like this

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,673 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:47 PM

I'm watching Ann Sothern's guest appearances from season 3 of The Lucy Show. She and Lucy work so well together in these...they're hilarious. The episodes are on Hulu.

#7 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:52 PM

The Night Walker ​(1964)--William Castle + Barbara Stanwyck...what's not to like?  There were only a couple Castle 'thrillers' I hadn't seen..this was one.  Stanwyck stars as an unhappy wife of a blind/disfigured man, who isn't a bit sad when he blows himself up (or does he?) but she has recurring dreams (or does she?) of him and handsome Lloyd Bochner that drive her over the edge.  Her trusted friend (or is he?) Robert Taylor tries to help her sort them out, and find out who, or what, Bochner represents.  If you're a Castle fan, the end won't surprise you much..as he generally gives the abnormal a perfectly normal explanation.  Stanwyck, in her late 50's, and a blonde, does a good job playing along.  What's missing is the fun/schlock Castle sometimes used (although the 'wedding' scene with the mannequin audience is pretty good..).  

• TikiSoo, ChristineHoard and LawrenceA like this

#8 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,673 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:09 PM

​Has Anybody Seen My Gal​--for some reason, I thought I'd seen this 1952 film...until I actually watched it.  Sounds like a musical, but it's not--it's a comedy with some serious overtones, and is really pretty good. Although he gets third billing, Charles Coburn is the star, very much in his More the Merrier​ character as the cantankerous old guy who moves in and disrupts the status quo.  Here, he is a very wealthy man, with no family to leave the $ to, so he decides to leave it to the family of the woman who turned him down when he was young...his thinking is if she hadn't, he wouldn't have gone off and made a fortune.  He manages to move in with her daughter, Lynn Bari, and her family to see if they are 'deserving' and gives them ( anonymously) a bit of it (100 grand)--in the 20's, that was quite a gift.  Social climber Bari gets carried away and the whole family is affected-- most notably the romance between daughter Piper Laurie and Rock Hudson, and the happiness of young daughter Gigi Perreau (who is a scene stealer).  If you watch closely, you can see soda-jerk Hudson serving young James Dean at the local drugstore.  Nice, even if a little predictable, story line and good performances...particularly Perreau and Coburn.

It's directed by Douglas Sirk. Hudson worked with him several times, but usually not in this genre. 

#9 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,673 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:08 PM

Watching Emmerdale. I missed yesterday's episode so I was trying to catch up. There are three episodes that will be broadcast on Thursday.

#10 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:01 AM

​Has Anybody Seen My Gal​--for some reason, I thought I'd seen this 1952 film...until I actually watched it.  Sounds like a musical, but it's not--it's a comedy with some serious overtones, and is really pretty good. Although he gets third billing, Charles Coburn is the star, very much in his More the Merrier​ character as the cantankerous old guy who moves in and disrupts the status quo.  Here, he is a very wealthy man, with no family to leave the $ to, so he decides to leave it to the family of the woman who turned him down when he was young...his thinking is if she hadn't, he wouldn't have gone off and made a fortune.  He manages to move in with her daughter, Lynn Bari, and her family to see if they are 'deserving' and gives them ( anonymously) a bit of it (100 grand)--in the 20's, that was quite a gift.  Social climber Bari gets carried away and the whole family is affected-- most notably the romance between daughter Piper Laurie and Rock Hudson, and the happiness of young daughter Gigi Perreau (who is a scene stealer).  If you watch closely, you can see soda-jerk Hudson serving young James Dean at the local drugstore.  Nice, even if a little predictable, story line and good performances...particularly Perreau and Coburn.

• TopBilled likes this

#11 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,673 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:11 PM

A Universal noir called THE FAT MAN, on YouTube. I think the series Jake and the Fat Man is derived from it. A hefty sleuth with a lot of personality tries to figure out what happened to a young man (Rock Hudson) who loved a girl (Julie London) then disappeared. It's actually a very absorbing mystery.

#12 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,228 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:06 PM

"Paree, Paree" (1934)--Fun condensation of Cole Porters' "50 Million Frenchmen" with Dorothy Stone, who sang well and did high kicks almost as well as Charlotte Greenwood, and Bob Hope, who sang fairly well, although his voice wasn't as strong as Stones'.  Hope was already ad-libbing and getting laughs, even this early.  Choreographer Allan K. Foster tried to imitate Busby Berkeley's style.  This must have been filmed after the Code went into effect.  The censors didn't pay much attention to the lyrics; one double entendre was eliminated from the song "Find Me A Primitive Man", but the rest were left intact.

• LawrenceA likes this

#13 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,673 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:17 PM

A Republic noir from 1955 called NO MAN'S WOMAN, starring Marie Windsor. Not bad. It's on YouTube. Good print quality.

#14 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,673 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:33 PM

Working on my review for GOLDENEYE. 

screen-shot-2017-09-24-at-6-08-30-pm.png

#15 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,673 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:56 PM

I will have to give those 2 a try! I too enjoy Loretta's earlier comedies :)

Good. I hope you do! BEDTIME STORY (1941) is excellent with wonderful supporting players (Robert Benchley, Eve Arden and Helen Westley).

#16 NickAndNora34

NickAndNora34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:47 PM

I rather like Loretta's early 40s comedies at Columbia. Also recommended: BEDTIME STORY with Fredric March and A NIGHT TO REMEMBER with Brian Aherne. They're both currently on YouTube.

I will have to give those 2 a try! I too enjoy Loretta's earlier comedies :) 

• TopBilled likes this

#17 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:26 PM

You Gotta Stay Happy ​(1948)--In the 'why haven't I seen this before?' category.  This rom/com is your basic runaway heiress bride--with some twists and a very good cast.  Joan Fontaine is the fickle bride who rejects her new hubby on her wedding night, and ends up in the room of the gallant fellow who came to her rescue - James Stewart.  Since Stewart wants to believe she is a poor girl in distress, she lets him believe it, and even talks her way onto his cargo plane for a getaway.  Eddie Albert is terrific as Stewart's fun loving partner/co pilot, and their cross-country flight is made memorable by 'cargo' of a cigar smoking chimp, frozen fish, a coffin, a southern newlywed couple, and a suspiciously jumpy man. A storm forces the plane down near a farm, and who should come to their rescue, but Percy Kilbride who squeezes them in among his dozen kids (no, his wife isn't Marjorie Main...but this a Universal film, and they wanted to get the Kettle theme in..). Because of the delay, Stewart's business is kaput, but don't worry...there is a happy ending (of course!) Predictable, but a fun watch.  I have no idea of how 'available' the film is..I found it on a Kodi add-on (Pyramid)

#18 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,673 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:30 PM

The Doctor Takes a Wife (1940): starring Loretta Young and Ray Milland. Found this one on YouTube and looking forward to finishing it after I finish applying for jobs here in CA. All I know so far of this movie, is Loretta is forced to drive home to the city with Milland after finding out that the train from their lodge had already taken off. These two already hate each other, what fun 

I rather like Loretta's early 40s comedies at Columbia. Also recommended: BEDTIME STORY with Fredric March and A NIGHT TO REMEMBER with Brian Aherne. They're both currently on YouTube.

• NickAndNora34 likes this

#19 NickAndNora34

NickAndNora34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:28 PM

The Doctor Takes a Wife (1940): starring Loretta Young and Ray Milland. Found this one on YouTube and looking forward to finishing it after I finish applying for jobs here in CA. All I know so far of this movie, is Loretta is forced to drive home to the city with Milland after finding out that the train from their lodge had already taken off. These two already hate each other, what fun :) 

• TopBilled likes this

#20 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,683 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:29 PM

Now I've moved onto another of my favorite subgenres--60s teen beach movies!

I'm watching this absurd movie called For Those Who Think Young.  It's got everyone in it: Paul Lynde, Bob Denver, Tina Louise, Nancy Sinatra, James Darren... just to name a few.

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users