We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

What Are You Watching Now?

• Please log in to reply
2054 replies to this topic

#1 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted Today, 06:03 AM

Nosferatu (1922) - TCM

I doubt if anyone is surprised by that piece of news!

#2 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted Today, 05:59 AM

I had hoped to watch those eventually. I, too, have seen all of the TOS and TNG, more than once in fact. I once started to watch DS9, but the source for the DVDs only had season 1 and 2, and never got around to the others. I recall when Voyager started that I watched the pilot episode and that was it. But I wanted to see them all at least once before all was said and done. I watched all of Enterprise as it aired, and while wildly uneven, it had some decent characters and story arcs.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is the one Star Trek television series that I have the complete DVD set for. In my opinion, that one was the best written of the six (so far) series and many of its story lines were ideal for binge watching. I have watched the other series also, but have yet to pick them up on home video.

#3 SansFin

SansFin

U. S. Citizen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,845 posts

Posted Today, 02:07 AM

I am watching them from within: CBS AllAccess. It is a subscription channel on Roku. They have all episodes of: ST:TNG and ST:V as well as many other programs. I do not know if they have any of the other Star Trek versions. It requires much scrolling to find the programs but it is easy to follow a program once you have found it. It is nice that such older programs have no commercials in them. Several programs currently airing are available also but they have commercial interruptions. 

• LiamCasey likes this

My Avatar: Little girl ghost from "義足のMoses"

Russian nesting dolls are full of themselves.

#4 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,247 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted Yesterday, 09:01 PM

I have been working my way through: Star Trek: Voyager (1995-2001). I had liked: Star Trek (1966-1969) and: Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987-1994) and so believed that I would like this incarnation. I have watched all to the first episode of Season Four. I notice many recycled plots and the same 'dramatic' elements of transporter malfunctions and crashed shuttlecraft and benign aliens revealed as evil. The major difference which I notice is that this series seems to have been infused with a combination of steroids and hallucinogens. The time travel episodes have 'advanced' from juvenile fun in previous series to sophomoric philosophy in this series.

I will watch the remaining seasons because I do not quit but I will heartedly advise that others do not take on such a task. Some individual episodes featuring: Mr. Neelix or Tuvok as the main characters in the episode are enjoyable. Most others are a slog.

I had hoped to watch those eventually. I, too, have seen all of the TOS and TNG, more than once in fact. I once started to watch DS9, but the source for the DVDs only had season 1 and 2, and never got around to the others. I recall when Voyager started that I watched the pilot episode and that was it. But I wanted to see them all at least once before all was said and done. I watched all of Enterprise as it aired, and while wildly uneven, it had some decent characters and story arcs.

• LiamCasey likes this

#5 SansFin

SansFin

U. S. Citizen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,845 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:46 PM

I have been working my way through: Star Trek: Voyager (1995-2001). I had liked: Star Trek (1966-1969) and: Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987-1994) and so believed that I would like this incarnation. I have watched all to the first episode of Season Four. I notice many recycled plots and the same 'dramatic' elements of transporter malfunctions and crashed shuttlecraft and benign aliens revealed as evil. The major difference which I notice is that this series seems to have been infused with a combination of steroids and hallucinogens. The time travel episodes have 'advanced' from juvenile fun in previous series to sophomoric philosophy in this series.

I will watch the remaining seasons because I do not quit but I will heartedly advise that others do not take on such a task. Some individual episodes featuring: Mr. Neelix or Tuvok as the main characters in the episode are enjoyable. Most others are a slog.

• LiamCasey and LawrenceA like this

My Avatar: Little girl ghost from "義足のMoses"

Russian nesting dolls are full of themselves.

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,102 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:10 PM

EastEnders and Emmerdale.

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#7 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:16 PM

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (1982) - TCM

Although I'm familiar with the subject matter, I've never seen this musical before either live or filmed (including the 2007 version with Johnny Depp (whom, I must admit, is an actor that doesn't really appeal to me which probably explains why I haven't seen that particular version)).

#8 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:06 AM

M (1931) - TCM

Probably the best movie of 1931. And this from a person who greatly enjoys the horror genre and the gangster genre and, therefore, would be expected to have something like Dracula or Frankenstein or Public Enemy or Little Caesar or whatever at the top of the list for that year.

• LawrenceA and film lover 293 like this

#9 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,102 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:27 PM

Earthquake (1974) - Starz Encore On Demand

w/ Charlton Heston, Ava Gardner (The first movie that I ever saw her in. Not exactly an ideal introduction.), George Kennedy, Lorne Greene (And, boy, it was odd seeing him off the Ponderosa!)

It's even stranger seeing him in a science fiction show, as the commander in Battlestar Galactica. 

• LiamCasey likes this

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#10 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,307 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:13 PM

I'm watching my #1 favorite movie--The Long Long Trailer. I never tire of this movie.

"It's a fine thing when you come home to your home and your home is gone!"

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#11 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:02 PM

Earthquake (1974) - Starz Encore On Demand

w/ Charlton Heston, Ava Gardner (The first movie that I ever saw her in. Not exactly an ideal introduction.), George Kennedy, Lorne Greene (And, boy, it was odd seeing him off the Ponderosa!), Geneviève Bujold (Also the first movie that I ever saw her in. Was just a pretty face to me at that point.), Richard Roundtree (Knew of Shaft (1971). But wasn't old enough to have see it yet.), Marjoe Gortner (Only knew him at that point from Pray For The Wildcats (1974) and knew nothing about his preacher past. He did a good job of creeping me out in this one.), Barry Sullivan, Lloyd Nolan, Victoria Principal and Walter Matthau

I've haven't watched this one since its first run. A bit surprising since I have rewatched (and even own DVDs for) other 1970s disaster movies.

#12 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,102 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:53 PM

Movin' On starring Claude Akins and Frank Converse. Great series, on Hulu.

#13 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:07 AM

49th Parallel (1941) - Charge! TV

w/ Leslie Howard, Laurence Olivier, Raymond Massey, Anton Walbrook and Eric Portman

I've been hoping to catch this one since I read Jill Blake's article on Movie Morlocks Streamline last December:

http://streamline.fi...-parallel-1941/

• TopBilled and LawrenceA like this

#14 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,102 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:34 AM

A British comedy called LET THE PEOPLE SING. It's on YouTube.

#15 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:27 PM

​Barefoot in the Park starring the very appealing screen partnership of Jane Fonda and Robert Redford along with Mildred Natwick and Charles Boyer. I feel that this film is what a lot of modern romantic comedies try to emulate, but they just can't get that small town meets big city charm of the lead characters.

• TopBilled likes this

#16 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,102 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:24 PM

I love that series..wish the Ellery Queen film series was still around..have only seen one

Yes, Jim Hutton is great in the TV series. It only lasted one season in the mid-70s.

#17 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,027 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:56 PM

Ellery Queen starring Jim Hutton

I love that series..wish the Ellery Queen film series was still around..have only seen one

edit..watching March madness--Wisconsin won...yay!

• TopBilled likes this

#18 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

Along Came Jones (1945) - Charge! TV

w/ Gary Cooper (and also its producer), Loretta Young, William Demarest, Dan Duryea, and Russell Simpson

Charge! TV is a new digital broadcast television network that has replaced Grit TV in my neck of the woods. The network is expected to feature action- and adventure-based programming sourced primarily from the MGM television and film library. So naturally the first movie that I watch on this channel was released by RKO.

• LawrenceA likes this

#19 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,102 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:28 AM

Ellery Queen starring Jim Hutton

#20 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:12 AM

The Quatermass Xperiment (aka The Creeping Unknown) (1955) - Comet TV

Brian Donlevy as Professor Quatermass is a good way to start the day!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users