We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

What Are You Watching Now?

• Please log in to reply
2277 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,203 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 06:18 PM

Working on my review for

screen-shot-2017-06-26-at-12-37-51-pm.pn

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:02 PM

Topaz (1969) - TCM On Demand

An Alfred Hitchcock movie that I have not previously seen.

• TopBilled likes this

#3 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:01 AM

The Drowning Pool (1975) - TCM On Demand

w/ Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Anthony Franciosa, Murray Hamilton, Gail Strickland, Melanie Griffith, Richard Jaeckel and Andrew Robinson.

Been awhile since I've had an opportunity to sit back and watch a movie. And been awhile since I've seen this particular one.

#4 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,372 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:30 PM

Wending my way through Edward the King, Disc One (1975) where Annette Crosbie chews the scenery as a young Queen Victoria and Robert Hardy's German accent sounds faintly ridiculous as Prince Albert but I've gotten used to both. Surprised to see a very young Charles Sturridge as young Bertie (boy Edward), the same who later distinguished himself as a director including Where Angels Fear to Tread and A Handful of Dust (to name two) and who, in the present drama, portrays the young Prince trying to grow up despite the pernicious influence of his parents. There is great impetus to hang with this because when Bertie finally grows up he will be portrayed by the wonderful actor, Timothy West, who was fantastic as Porfiry in Crime and Punishment (with John Hurt as Raskolnikov) a few years later.

#5 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,203 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:48 PM

It used to play a lot on the Fox Movie Channel, and the print there was very good.

Okay, makes sense. There was no Fox Movie Channel logo on the print I found on YouTube. Maybe it's a Fox Archives release and that's the copy published online. Such a good movie. 

• LawrenceA likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#6 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Caretaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,473 posts
  • LocationThe Overlook Hotel

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:53 AM

Someone published the best looking print I have ever seen of THE SECRET OF CONVICT LAKE on YouTube. I never watched this film before because all the other copies had such poor print quality. What a great story, and I don't think TCM has ever aired it.

It used to play a lot on the Fox Movie Channel, and the print there was very good.

• TopBilled likes this

#7 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,203 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:30 AM

Someone published the best looking print I have ever seen of THE SECRET OF CONVICT LAKE on YouTube. I never watched this film before because all the other copies had such poor print quality. What a great story, and I don't think TCM has ever aired it.

screen-shot-2017-07-19-at-6-31-50-am.png

• LawrenceA likes this

#8 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,203 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:02 PM

A Republic western on Hulu called A MAN ALONE. It stars (and was directed by) Ray Milland.

#9 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:14 AM

whoops...

#10 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:14 AM

Password--​early 60s, Betty White and Shelley Berman--a woman paired with Berman was a housewife with a daughter named Taffy--now I can't stop thinking of a woman about 60 named Taffy around somewhere today... :)

#11 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,528 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:57 PM

This movie seems to be a very divisive subject here on the boards, but right now I'm watching Bringing Up Baby.  I don't care if people don't like this film--I love it.  I think it's hilarious.  

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#12 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,528 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:08 PM

In honor of Barbara Stanwyck and Ginger Rogers' birthdays today, I am having a movie tribute to both ladies tonight.

First up, I'm watching my Criterion of Stanwyck w/ Henry Fonda in The Lady Eve.  I just got this Criterion for Christmas and it's my first time watching it.  Great print! 

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#13 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,203 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:56 PM

Finishing season 1 of Body of Proof. Gosh is this series good.

#14 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:05 PM

Smooth as Silk--​pretty good for a B pic:  Kent Taylor is an attorney who 'arranges' for his guilty client to be acquitted so he'll do him a favor--get Taylor's girlfriend Virginia Grey (an ambitious..to put it nicely..actress) a big part in the client's uncle's film.  Seeing bigger fish to fry, Grey decides to hook up with the playboy client..he's rich after all..and then with the producer uncle.  Yes..she's three-timing Taylor to get ahead...and you know someone is going to end up murdered..and they do.  The film moves very quickly, and the performances are good..especially Grey who steals the scenes as the femme fatale with no conscience.  The only one who seemed 'out of place' was Milburn Stone, as the DA..who sort of shuffles through it all.

• LawrenceA likes this

#15 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,203 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:00 PM

More season 1 episodes of Body of Proof. 

#16 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,203 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:45 PM

A two-part episode of Coronation Street is what I'm watching at the moment.

#17 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,203 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:11 PM

I've been watching season 1 episodes of the Dana Delany drama Body of Proof on Hulu. I've really become addicted to this series. Reminds me a lot of Quincy.

#18 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:28 PM

The Ruth Etting short "Roseland" (1930), the Doris Day biopic of Etting "Love Me Or Leave Me" (1955), and the Etting short "A Regular Trouper" (1932).

I never knew until today how good a job Day did of copying Etting's screen persona, from her body language to Etting's habit of barely enunciating the final consonant in a word while she was singing.

Trivia--the song Day does while on a swing in "Love Me Or Leave Me" is from a barely glimpsed number at the beginning of "A Regular Trouper" (1932). 

#19 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,203 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:34 AM

Working on my review for

screen-shot-2017-06-26-at-12-36-04-pm.pn

#20 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,528 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:20 PM

After finishing my work for the evening, I am settling in with a film noir--Moontide w/ Ida Lupino, Claude Rains and Jean Gabin. 

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users