We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

What Are You Watching Now?

• Please log in to reply
2330 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,926 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:38 PM

I'm watching BLANCHE FURY. Honestly, I watch this movie about once a month. I never get tired of it.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:16 PM

My husband and I are going to Disneyland in two weeks, so I'm getting into the Disney spirit.  We're also going to Monterey too, so I guess my first film got me into the spirit for that too!

I just finished watching the original 1961 version of The Parent Trap and fell in love with Brian Keith's Monterey ranch all over again.  Now I'm watching Aladdin. 

ooo lucky--Monterey area is (or was..years since I've been there) lovely...Hitchcock loved it too--filmed Suspicion and Rebecca ​in the county...

• JamesStewartFan95 likes this

#3 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,582 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:15 PM

My husband and I are going to Disneyland in two weeks, so I'm getting into the Disney spirit.  We're also going to Monterey too, so I guess my first film got me into the spirit for that too!

I just finished watching the original 1961 version of The Parent Trap and fell in love with Brian Keith's Monterey ranch all over again.  Now I'm watching Aladdin. 

• JamesStewartFan95 likes this

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,926 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:10 AM

Working on my review for CAIRO TIME.

screen-shot-2017-08-03-at-6-38-21-am1.pn

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#5 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,984 posts
  • LocationBreathin' Down Your Neck!

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:14 PM

I try not to get emotionally involved with characters in movies so that can just be what they are in the telling of the story. I sometimes don't understand folks who say there's no one who is likeable and that there is no to root for. Is that a necessity? But on the other side, Caine's character was awful but he played the slimy one very well.

I've had discussions about this topic with friends in the past. I also do not feel a need to relate to, sympathize with or even like a film's characters to like the film. Some of my friends say they can't enjoy a movie if they can't relate it in some way to their own lives, or a character to themselves. That sounds terribly narcissistic to me. One reason I enjoy movies is to explore things outside of my personal experience, and to see things from other's points of view. Films that are character studies rather than conventional plot-driven narratives often tend to have characters that are less than admirable in some respect. But that's what makes them interesting, to me, anyway.

• laffite likes this

#6 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,620 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:49 PM

I was a fan of his "funny" (they all have a bit of humor) period (1965-1975, or What's New, Pussycat? [which he wrote and co-starred in] through Love and Death), but I agree that his next phase was his best, only I would extend it a few more years, from 1977's Annie Hall through to 1989's Crimes and Misdemeanors. With 1990's Alice, he became a bit more indulgent, and then the scandals took over. His return to prominence with Bullets Over Broadway in 1994 was good, and the next 4 movies (Mighty AphroditeEveryone Says I Love YouDeconstructing Harry, and Celebrity) were very good. Then he became hit-or-miss for the next several years, with some of his worst coming in this period (2003's Anything Else is still my least favorite of his films). Once he started filming in Europe he found some of his old mojo, and I very much like Match PointCassandra's DreamVicky Cristina Barcelona, and Midnight in Paris.

I thought Crimes and Misdemeanors was '86 so you've corrected me. This period should include C&M, one the best of all. Bullets over Broadway was a collaboration but had the unmistakable stamp of Woody there. The rest of the ones you list don't thrill me especially with the possible exception of Vicky Cristina Barcelona, which I watched twice in 2-3 days, I think it recaptured the the earlier Woody appeal and I liked its theme, something simple but well worked out. I may be the only person in the universe who is disappointed in Midnight in Paris, though I should try it again. Surprising because this sort of conceit, especially dealing with the time period, is an area he excels. I perceive the merit but it lacks the 'magic' an intangible, I was not drawn in. In our Golden Age, I recall being disappointed in Hannah and her Sisters, but I formerly loved it. I remember thinking that the sum of the parts was wanting, but many of the parts themselves were of the usual excellence. Michael Caine gets my award for Woody Allen's most disgusting character. I try not to get emotionally involved with characters in movies so that can just be what they are in the telling of the story. I sometimes don't understand folks who say there's no one who is likeable and that there is no to root for. Is that a necessity? But on the other side, Caine's character was awful but he played the slimy one very well.

• LawrenceA likes this

#7 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,804 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:27 PM

CALCUTTA, an interesting Paramount drama on YouTube. Alan Ladd and Gail Russell are great in this motion picture.

I'll have to check that out.   Calcutta is the #1 Ladd film I want to see that I have yet to see.   

• TopBilled likes this

#8 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,926 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:22 PM

CALCUTTA, an interesting Paramount drama on YouTube. Alan Ladd and Gail Russell are great in this motion picture.

#9 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

Joe Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:58 PM

I've been enjoying the Barbara Stanwyck marathon today on TCM.  I've been recording the ones that I want to really watch later when I'm not baking and making dinner.  Right now, The Strange Loves of Martha Ivers is on and I just discovered that Janis Wilson who plays young Barbara Stanwyck in this film is the same girl who plays Tina in Now, Voyager.  I can't say much for this actress' acting ability.  She overacted in 'Voyager' and she overacts in this film too.

Now I am watching Annie Hall.  I've never seen this film before and I've never even seen a Woody Allen film before.  So far, I'm liking it.

Really. Then I think you oughta give Everyone Says I Love You a try since you've professed your love for musicals on this site before.

#10 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,984 posts
  • LocationBreathin' Down Your Neck!

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:01 AM

When I got up off the floor I discovered I had been out for about a half hour. Never seen a WA film? Okay, not criticizing, just surprised. I would be interested in your general opinion of Woody Allen's films after having seen a few. I consider 1977-1986 as a Golden Age of his oeuvre. One I would like to recommend to you is Radio Days, the greatest film of nostalgia ever made IMO. The last sentence in the film (a voice over) is not a conventional weepie thing but in a subtle way it was for me. The blind-date-sitting-at-the-kitchen-table-conversation is enshrined in my head as one of the most entertaining ever. Wonderful film from beginning to end. And that's just a start. But my enthusiasm can fail utterly with those who just don't care for his stuff. Radio Days precedes me by a few years so my liking has nothing to do with the particular time nor place for that matter.

I was a fan of his "funny" (they all have a bit of humor) period (1965-1975, or What's New, Pussycat? [which he wrote and co-starred in] through Love and Death), but I agree that his next phase was his best, only I would extend it a few more years, from 1977's Annie Hall through to 1989's Crimes and Misdemeanors. With 1990's Alice, he became a bit more indulgent, and then the scandals took over. His return to prominence with Bullets Over Broadway in 1994 was good, and the next 4 movies (Mighty AphroditeEveryone Says I Love YouDeconstructing Harry, and Celebrity) were very good. Then he became hit-or-miss for the next several years, with some of his worst coming in this period (2003's Anything Else is still my least favorite of his films). Once he started filming in Europe he found some of his old mojo, and I very much like Match PointCassandra's DreamVicky Cristina Barcelona, and Midnight in Paris.

#11 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,620 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:17 AM

I've been enjoying the Barbara Stanwyck marathon today on TCM.  I've been recording the ones that I want to really watch later when I'm not baking and making dinner.  Right now, The Strange Loves of Martha Ivers is on and I just discovered that Janis Wilson who plays young Barbara Stanwyck in this film is the same girl who plays Tina in Now, Voyager.  I can't say much for this actress' acting ability.  She overacted in 'Voyager' and she overacts in this film too.

Now I am watching Annie Hall.  I've never seen this film before and I've never even seen a Woody Allen film before.  So far, I'm liking it.

When I got up off the floor I discovered I had been out for about a half hour. Never seen a WA film? Okay, not criticizing, just surprised. I would be interested in your general opinion of Woody Allen's films after having seen a few. I consider 1977-1986 as a Golden Age of his oeuvre. One I would like to recommend to you is Radio Days, the greatest film of nostalgia ever made IMO. The last sentence in the film (a voice over) is not a conventional weepie thing but in a subtle way it was for me. The blind-date-sitting-at-the-kitchen-table-conversation is enshrined in my head as one of the most entertaining ever. Wonderful film from beginning to end. And that's just a start. But my enthusiasm can fail utterly with those who just don't care for his stuff. Radio Days precedes me by a few years so my liking has nothing to do with the particular time nor place for that matter.

• LawrenceA likes this

#12 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:44 AM

I've seen My Reputation.  I didn't realize that she was in that one too.  I'll have to re-watch it.

She's the friend of the eldest boy (Barbara's son).  You'll recognize her.

#13 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:08 PM

Janis Wilson is also in another Barbara Stanwyck flick - My Reputation.  Hope you get a chance to check it out.

I've seen My Reputation.  I didn't realize that she was in that one too.  I'll have to re-watch it.

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#14 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:52 PM

Janis Wilson is also in another Barbara Stanwyck flick - My Reputation.  Hope you get a chance to check it out.

#15 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,926 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:44 PM

There's a good print of the Universal western THE MAN FROM BITTER RIDGE on YouTube. I'm watching it right now. Lex Barker stars.

#16 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:46 PM

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#17 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:11 PM

I read somewhere that the "We're in the Money" number originally did not have the pig latin verse in it, but Busby Berkeley (spelling?) heard Ginger messing around one day, and decided to keep it in the picture.

I wonder if the real Bonnie and Clyde saw this number up on the big screen.

#18 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,926 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:24 PM

Episodes of the classic soap The Doctors on YouTube.

#19 NickAndNora34

NickAndNora34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • LocationWalt Disney World

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:40 PM

Planning on watching Disney's The Ugly Dachshund (1965) tonight with my friends. This one stars Dean Jones & Suzanne Pleshette, and it's one of my all-time favorite Disney movies. I grew up watching this one, so it will always hold a special place in my heart. 

• TopBilled likes this

"The prettier the flower, the farther from the path." -Into the Woods 

#20 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:59 PM

Right now, I'm watching Ginger Rogers night on TCM, live in fact--which never happens.  I just finished watching Kitty Foyle and I'm getting ready to watch Top Hat.  My pizza managed to arrive between movies which was definitely good timing.  

Right now, I'm watching this little spiel about Elvis Presley.  His acting skills aren't the best, but I love Viva Las Vegas-- he and Ann-Margret were awesome together.

• ChristineHoard and JamesStewartFan95 like this

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users