We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

What Are You Watching Now?

• Please log in to reply
2327 replies to this topic

#2041 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 02 January 2016 - 05:06 PM

After my Saturday morning full of cartoons: The New Looney Tunes Show and What's New Scooby Doo? I decided to watch some "heavier" fare and headed over to my trusty Netflix queue.

On the Town it is! 

• film lover 293 likes this

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#2042 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,891 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:31 PM

I'm watching TOO LATE FOR TEARS. It's an on-demand selection for Sling/TCM customers. 

As much as I enjoy her in MARTHA IVERS and I WALK ALONE, I feel this is actually Lizabeth Scott's best performance.

• MCannady1 likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2043 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:49 PM

I'm getting caught up on my Marx Brothers.  I own two Marx Brothers boxed sets, so I believe I own all their films.  The Marx Brothers marathon started at 5:15am this morning.  A wee bit early for me, so I didn't start watching until A Night at the Opera.  That movie is hilarious, though I also love Horse Feathers and Duck Soup.  

Right now, I'm watching Animal Crackers

• film lover 293 likes this

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#2044 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,891 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:13 PM

I am not watching anything at the moment. But this morning I did watch Natalie Wood and a familiar looking dog in Republic's marvelous coming of age drama DRIFTWOOD:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-12-31%2Bat%2B10.49.

You can find it on Amazon Prime.

• MCannady1 and NickAndNora34 like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2045 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:18 AM

"A Day at The Races" (1937)--The last Marx Bros. movie I haven't seen--& it's almost as funny as "A Night at the Opera". :P

• MCannady1 likes this

#2046 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

The Richest Man in Town

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 10:31 PM

It's A Wonderful Life and The Muppet Movie.

• MCannady1 likes this

#2047 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,891 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:11 PM

I am watching an Allan Lane western called TRAIL OF KIT CARSON that was uploaded by the Paramount Vault on YouTube. Great B film. So entertaining.

#2048 SansFin

SansFin

U. S. Citizen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,003 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:16 AM

I am watching the two-episode finale of: Season Five of: Doctor Who. These episodes are entitled: The Pandorica Opens and: The Big Bang. It is so very heart-warming and daring and funny and full of pathos. 

The last episode of the season opens identically to opening of first episode of the season: Amelia is a little girl who is kneeling beside her bed with her hands clasped. She says: "Dear Santa, Thank you for the dolls and pencils and the fish. It’s Easter now, so I hope I didn’t wake you. But honest, it is an emergency. There’s a crack in my wall. Aunt Sharon says it’s just an ordinary crack but I know it’s not, ’cause at night there’s voices. So please, please could you send someone to fix it? Or a policeman...or... "

The Doctor arrives to help and discovers that the crack is not in her wall. It is in everything. It is a crack in the universe.

Grown-up Amelia and The Doctor have a season of adventures while the crack follows them through all of space and time. 

These two final episodes reveal the source of the crack and its importance.

I feel that these episodes are writer Steven Moffat's greatest script. It is rich with the series' wry and unexpected humor.

The Pandorica is revealed to be the ultimate prison. Amelia asks why it was built:

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster. Or a warrior. A nameless, terrible thing soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: How did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
Dr. River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales. They always turn out to be him.

It is difficult to write this as there are so few parts of it which I am willing to miss to type this. :)

I am happy to say that those who do not have this on DVD can watch it next Saturday on: BBC America.

I should perhaps have been watching: Possession (1981) as I recommended it in different thread but I instead recorded it because I am not in mood for such at this moment and I am in the mood for complex romantic silliness with universe-in-danger theme. Go figure.

• LittleAbner and LawrenceA like this

My Avatar: Little girl ghost from "義足のMoses"

Russian nesting dolls are full of themselves.

#2049 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,891 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:15 AM

This morning I checked the Paramount Vault YouTube page to see if there were any recent uploads. I was in luck. There is a wonderful Republic musical starring Tito Guizar called MEXICANA. So this is what I am watching and enjoying at the moment.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-12-14%2Bat%2B7.15.2

#2050 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,891 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:18 PM

I am sorry I got the name wrong!  Thanks for the info.  It was Storm Warning I was speaking of with Ginger and Doris.  Tight Spot was good too with Ginger.  As for Romance on the High Seas,  what a lovely way for Doris Day to begin her film career as Georgia, the poor girl with the great singing voice who wanted to go on a cruise and switches  places with well to do    Elvira Kent to  keep an eye on her husband!  SHe is beautifully dressed that first night and I always remember the scene where Jack Carson, an investigator who thought he was tailing Mrs. Elvira Kent  wrote WOW in his notebook when he first met her. It seems he was hired by the other girl's husband to check her out.    What a story and the songs are beautiful!  Especially Doris's rendition of   It's Magic. 

I have Midnight Lace from when it was aired on TCM if anyone would like to see it again.  Great story of an heiress being tailed and threatened by a killer!

I like how you described the plot of ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS. It's one of my favorite Doris Day films. It was a great way for her to start her movie career, wasn't it?

Right now I am watching I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE on the YouTube page for the Paramount Vault collection. I had never seen it before, and I like Tom Tryon's westerns, so I figured I would check this one out. :)

#2051 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 December 2015 - 04:41 PM

ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS was her first picture, and it's a good one. I think TIGHT SPOT starred Ginger Rogers. But Ginger and Doris were in another noir called STORM WARNING, which is well made. They played sisters.

A few years ago, TCM aired MIDNIGHT LACE. I believe it was a premiere and has not been repeated.

I am sorry I got the name wrong!  Thanks for the info.  It was Storm Warning I was speaking of with Ginger and Doris.  Tight Spot was good too with Ginger.  As for Romance on the High Seas,  what a lovely way for Doris Day to begin her film career as Georgia, the poor girl with the great singing voice who wanted to go on a cruise and switches  places with well to do    Elvira Kent to  keep an eye on her husband!  SHe is beautifully dressed that first night and I always remember the scene where Jack Carson, an investigator who thought he was tailing Mrs. Elvira Kent  wrote WOW in his notebook when he first met her. It seems he was hired by the other girl's husband to check her out.    What a story and the songs are beautiful!  Especially Doris's rendition of   It's Magic. 

I have Midnight Lace from when it was aired on TCM if anyone would like to see it again.  Great story of an heiress being tailed and threatened by a killer!

• TopBilled likes this

#2052 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,891 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:12 AM

I am watching CATTLE TOWN, an early 50s western from Warner Brothers. It was one of the last films Dennis Morgan did at the studio. It's airing on TCM this morning as part of a programming block meant to honor Rita Moreno. She's so young in this movie. Also, a very young Merv Griffin has a small supporting role. 

Incidentally, I noticed this evening that CATTLE TOWN is now an on-demand selection for those who watch TCM on Sling.

#2053 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,891 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:11 AM

That will be neat to read.  I liked Doris Day Show too.  I never forgot a hillarious episode where Doris pretends to be her boss's wife to deter an old flame.  All goes well until she forgets and says Mr.!  

I love several of Doris's films.  She was even good in Film Noir;  Midnight Lace or in the scary Tight Spot film.  I loved her singing in Romance on the High Seas. especially.

ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS was her first picture, and it's a good one. I think TIGHT SPOT starred Ginger Rogers. But Ginger and Doris were in another noir called STORM WARNING, which is well made. They played sisters.

A few years ago, TCM aired MIDNIGHT LACE. I believe it was a premiere and has not been repeated.

#2054 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,891 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:09 AM

Yes, Shelley was quite talented and could play serious or comedic roles.  Her over the top characters are interesting too.

I agree. Even when she's hamming it up, she does manage to bring a level of honesty and truth to the character.

#2055 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:47 AM

I will be watching a few more episodes of The Doris Day Show later this afternoon on Hulu. I am writing a column about Doris that will appear as part of Today's Topic in January...

That will be neat to read.  I liked Doris Day Show too.  I never forgot a hillarious episode where Doris pretends to be her boss's wife to deter an old flame.  All goes well until she forgets and says Mr.!  

I love several of Doris's films.  She was even good in Film Noir;  Midnight Lace or in the scary Tight Spot film.  I loved her singing in Romance on the High Seas. especially.

#2056 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:42 AM

She was definitely in her full-character actress phase by this point. LOL Gotta love her!

She's really over the top in HARPER, made around the same time.

Yes, Shelley was quite talented and could play serious or comedic roles.  Her over the top characters are interesting too.

• TopBilled likes this

#2057 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:09 AM

I'm watching Meet Me in St. Louis.  The film is on TCM in about an hour, but I saw it was on and decided that that was the film I was in the mood to watch, but didn't want to wait an hour and didn't want to sit through whatever version of The Christmas Carol was on.  If it's not The Muppets Christmas Carol, I'm not interested! Lol. 

Anyway, so I'm watching my Meet Me in St. Louis DVD.  Judy Garland was a national treasure and for someone that seemed so sweet on screen, her personal life was tragic.  

While some deride Meet Me in St. Louis for being too saccharine, I don't care.  I love this film.  It has great songs, great costumes, great cast and is overall very entertaining.  

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#2058 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:06 AM

I agree with you speedracer... I've actually never seen an entire Eddy/MacDonald film. I think they both are talented singers by themselves, but together, I never understood the appeal. I've seen two of Jeanette's films; one was The Sun Comes Up (1949) which was a complete dud.

I've only ever seen Jeannette MacDonald in San Francisco.  I liked most of the film, except for the scenes where MacDonald sang.  I was hoping that The Great Earthquake would send a building down on top of MacDonald or that Clark Gable would punch her in the mouth.  No such luck on both accounts.  

I haven't seen Nelson Eddy in a film, but from the clip I saw on That's Entertainment, there is no incentive.  I don't like his singing voice and he isn't even cute!  At the very least, if the film has to be unbearable, the lead actor could be attractive.  Lol.  

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#2059 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,891 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:26 AM

I am watching CATTLE TOWN, an early 50s western from Warner Brothers. It was one of the last films Dennis Morgan did at the studio. It's airing on TCM this morning as part of a programming block meant to honor Rita Moreno. She's so young in this movie. Also, a very young Merv Griffin has a small supporting role. 

• LawrenceA likes this

#2060 NickAndNora34

NickAndNora34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • LocationWalt Disney World

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:23 PM

I'm watching "That's Entertainment." I've seen this multiple times but I never tire of it. I love musicals and MGM made some of the best.

And I know from watching this that I could never sit through a Nelson Eddy/Jeanette MacDonald musical. That singing is horrible.

I agree with you speedracer... I've actually never seen an entire Eddy/MacDonald film. I think they both are talented singers by themselves, but together, I never understood the appeal. I've seen two of Jeanette's films; one was The Sun Comes Up (1949) which was a complete dud.

"The prettier the flower, the farther from the path." -Into the Woods 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users