We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

What Are You Watching Now?

• Please log in to reply
2234 replies to this topic

#2041 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,447 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:50 PM

I'm watching The Adventures of Robin Hood.  I never tire of this wonderful, beautiful film.  Perfect casting, gorgeous costumes and scenery all against Erich Wolfgang Korngold's wonderful score.

I'm so glad that Cagney walked out of Warner Brothers while this film was in pre-production and that the studio decided to gamble on Technicolor. 

55p6p2.jpg

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#2042 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,551 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:18 PM

I am watching a colorized version of BLACK BEAUTY (1945) on Amazon Prime. Don't ask why. I guess I wanted to check out Mona Freeman in an earlier role, after recently watching her in DEAR WIFE and DEAR BRAT (both also available on Amazon Prime). Plus I wanted to see if the colorizing looks realistic (mostly, it does) and if this version is faithful to Anna Sewell's novel (mostly, it is not).

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2043 mockingbird66

mockingbird66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:36 PM

Since I'm trying to bake... (we'll see how well a carrot cake recipe converts into cupcakes)

I've got a disc of The Brady Bunch playing as background noise. It's the episode where Greg needs to find a date for his date's cousin. He ends up enlisting Peter to be "Phil Packer" to fix up with the girl. Peter, rocking an awful fake mustache, is awkward and bumbling. He ends up dumping popcorn all over his date's lap. This episode is funny.

Greg and Marcia were always the Brady kids I liked the most.

Call me a weirdo, but I always thought Greg was kind of cute.

PETER: What's that wild scent you're wearing?

PETER'S DATE: Buttered popcorn.

I forgot all about the "Phil Packer episode. I think he started to eat part of his mustache. There were so many funny episodes. Bobby and the frogs jumping on Greg and his dates' pizza and the umbrella going through the convertible top. The one that i always remember, don't ask me why is when Greg's girlfriend and Marcia are trying out for head cheerleader and Greg brings her home and eggs her on to practice her cheer to tick Marcia off because she dated Gregs rival- Warren Maleny (sp). The cheer stuck in my head. FFFIL, LLLMO, OOORE Filmore junior high! Ugh remember that?

Hope your carrot cake cupcakes were good.

#2044 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,447 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 04:42 PM

Since I'm trying to bake... (we'll see how well a carrot cake recipe converts into cupcakes)

I've got a disc of The Brady Bunch playing as background noise.  It's the episode where Greg needs to find a date for his date's cousin.  He ends up enlisting Peter to be "Phil Packer" to fix up with the girl.  Peter, rocking an awful fake mustache, is awkward and bumbling.  He ends up dumping popcorn all over his date's lap. This episode is funny.

Greg and Marcia were always the Brady kids I liked the most.

Call me a weirdo, but I always thought Greg was kind of cute.

PETER: What's that wild scent you're wearing?

PETER'S DATE: Buttered popcorn.

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#2045 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,447 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:29 PM

I'm watching that great 1984 classic, Footloose.  I'm a sucker for dancing movies.  I love this movie.  It just happened to be on TV.  I need to go to the store, but I had to watch through to the end so I could see the poor kids finally be able to dance.

Thank god Kevin Bacon showed up to breathe some life into that dance, it was dying.  Lol.

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#2046 faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationAlphaville

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:23 AM

The Bank Dick with WC Fields.

Godfrey Daniel! I'm glad people are still watching him.

#2047 faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationAlphaville

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:16 AM

Next! As the second entry into my Gene Kelly birthday tribute, I am watching An American in Paris.  I really enjoy this film.  I know there are many detractors who poo poo the famous 15 minute ballet scene, but I don't care.  I love it. The actor playing Henri is also really cute.  I'm kind of mixed on his singing, though I do love his "Stairway to Paradise" number, but he's got a great smile.

It also features the greatest scene ever committed to celluloid:

2cd8x2.jpg

I like Fred Astaire, but I love Gene Kelly.

That's the way I feel about the great Astaire vs. Kelly debate. I'm in awe of Astaire: he's perfect -- maybe too perfect.

• speedracer5 likes this

#2048 faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationAlphaville

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:12 AM

Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Jessica Rabbit really makes that picture. "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way."

#2049 faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationAlphaville

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:59 PM

I'm watching Theodora Goes Wild live on TCM right now with Irene Dunne and Melvyn Douglas. 

It's an interesting film and I'm happy to see Dunne not acting as hoity toity as she seems to in some of her films. 

While I don't have any issues with Douglas really, he kind of seems like a back-up William Powell.  If Powell declined the film, or wasn't available, they got Douglas.

In Theodora Goes Wild, the scene in which Douglas shows Dunne his drawing of Adam and Eve is a classic -- we don't see the art work, just Dunne's face -- shocked, but trying not to show how disturbed she is.

Douglas should not be underestimated. He deserved his Oscar for Hud, and he stole every one of his scenes in The Candidate.

• speedracer5 likes this

#2050 faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationAlphaville

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:51 PM

I saw it lately too - the restored copy.  A very scary scene toward the end is pretty authentic.  The first time I was not prepared - as a

kid, for the scene was there in the early 60's.  I think Orson would be glad to have it the way it should be.  Well done!

I'm glad others are aware of the restored version. The others in the boxed set are top-notch, also.

As for the restored Touch of Evil: the commentary with Charlton Heston, Janet Leigh, and restorer Rick Schmidlin is very interesting, and is like a course in moviemaking. They explain why Welles wanted to change certain shots, sometimes deleting just a few frames. He always had a specific reason, of course.

#2051 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 07 September 2015 - 01:00 AM

The restored version of TOUCH OF EVIL, which follows Orson Welles' wishes as to how it should have been shown. It's one of the ten classic noirs in Universal's boxed set.

I saw it lately too - the restored copy.  A very scary scene toward the end is pretty authentic.  The first time I was not prepared - as a

kid, for the scene was there in the early 60's.  I think Orson would be glad to have it the way it should be.  Well done!

#2052 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 07 September 2015 - 12:57 AM

I'm watching Theodora Goes Wild live on TCM right now with Irene Dunne and Melvyn Douglas. 

It's an interesting film and I'm happy to see Dunne not acting as hoity toity as she seems to in some of her films. 

While I don't have any issues with Douglas really, he kind of seems like a back-up William Powell.  If Powell declined the film, or wasn't available, they got Douglas.

i do like that one, but seem to prefer Irene's dramatic roles (like my mother and father did).  When I grew up I really re-fell for the wonderful 30's and 40's great films I had enjoyed on TV in the 50's and 60's.  But you are right that it is nice to see Irene in a comedy now and then; THe Awful Truth, etc.   (About 3 nights ago I watched Irene and Ricardo Cortez in a great film called Symphony of Six Million, a real tear-jerker of the early 30's).  Next I watched Lucille Ball and Patrick Knowles in a great semi-comedy drama called Beauty for the Asking.  A great supporting actress, Frieda Inescourt enhanced the film.

Regarding Melvyn Douglas, I really like some of his early roles, but do like William Powell better at times.  Have you seen The Old Dark House  '30  with Melvyn and GLoria Stuart?  Also enhancing a great cast was Charles Laughton in an early role as well.  This is considerably more scary than the later remake of the same title in the early 60's.  A wonderful actor/actress Elspeth Dudgeon can be seen here.  Apparently he or she enjoyed playing roles of the opposite sex.  It does say John Dudgeon in the credits, but I read somewhere that the name is Elspeth.  A real mystery, but she was great in this good film to see on Halloween!).  I did see him/her in a Blondie film but she resembled another actress there - even to her voice!  The wonderful Gertrude Hoffman of the My Little Margie series I had seen when very young in the late 50's had a distinctive voice.  Well, this lady  looks and sounds like her!  A real mystery.

#2053 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 07 September 2015 - 12:44 AM

Last night I re-watched the marvelous film noir with Humphrey Bogart and Gloria Grahame,

In a Lonely Place.  The acting is wonderful and very timely.  I remember first seeing the film while still in school in the early 70's.  -  lol~   Anyway, a friend just requested the film and I was checking my copy for her.  Well, I ended up watching again, caught up in the spell of Bogie and Gloria.  The little known actress (and murder victim) Martha Stewart is very good here and attractive too!

Tonight  I am watching Spellbound  '47, a great film with Ingrid Bergman and Gregory Peck.  It is both intriguing and frightening in spots! 

#2054 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,447 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 12:44 AM

I'm watching "Picnic." I'm starting off my Labor Day celebration.

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#2055 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 07 September 2015 - 12:37 AM

I just renewed my acquaintance with A Hard Day's Night. It's just as fresh and delightful as it was way back when. And the commentaries on the Criterion release are well worth listening to, as well.

Me too!  I was 12 when I and my big sister went to see the film in the theater.  It is still wonderful and fun to watch!  I think Pattie Boyd and Cynthia Lennon are in it.  (I read that Cynthia wore a dark wig).  Anyway, they all look so young and handsome and the music is still very awesome!

#2056 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 07 September 2015 - 12:35 AM

I've got chicken n' dumpling soup cooking away in the crock pot and a bottle of Dry Riesling chilling in the fridge...

Tonight, I'm having an Ingrid Bergman 100th birthday tribute, watching some of the films I recorded yesterday and a couple others I already owned. 

Right now, I'm starting off with what is arguably, her most famous film-- Casablanca.

RICK: Your cash is good at the bar

BANKER: What? Do you know who I am?

RICK: I do. You're lucky the bar's open to you.

Great idea!  I love all of the films with Ingrid starring in them that you mentioned, especially Spellbound and Casablanca.  A great idea!

#2057 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

The Richest Man in Town

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 10:37 PM

Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

#2058 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,447 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 12:21 PM

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#2059 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

The Richest Man in Town

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 11:45 AM

Breakfast at Tiffany's. A great find at a yard sale.

#2060 faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationAlphaville

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:48 AM

I just renewed my acquaintance with A Hard Day's Night. It's just as fresh and delightful as it was way back when. And the commentaries on the Criterion release are well worth listening to, as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users