We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

What Are You Watching Now?

• Please log in to reply
2280 replies to this topic

#21 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,711 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:28 PM

The Ruth Etting short "Roseland" (1930), the Doris Day biopic of Etting "Love Me Or Leave Me" (1955), and the Etting short "A Regular Trouper" (1932).

I never knew until today how good a job Day did of copying Etting's screen persona, from her body language to Etting's habit of barely enunciating the final consonant in a word while she was singing.

Trivia--the song Day does while on a swing in "Love Me Or Leave Me" is from a barely glimpsed number at the beginning of "A Regular Trouper" (1932). 

#22 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,234 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:34 AM

Working on my review for

screen-shot-2017-06-26-at-12-36-04-pm.pn

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#23 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,528 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:20 PM

After finishing my work for the evening, I am settling in with a film noir--Moontide w/ Ida Lupino, Claude Rains and Jean Gabin. 

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#24 CinemaInternational

CinemaInternational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:41 PM

My friends and I are going to go see Spider-Man: Homecoming this evening. Let's hope it lives up to the somewhat high standards I'm holding it to lol.

It's unseen by me, but I've heard its a melding in styles between a superhero film and an 80s John Hughes teen flick.

#25 NickAndNora34

NickAndNora34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationWalt Disney World

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:40 PM

My friends and I are going to go see Spider-Man: Homecoming this evening. Let's hope it lives up to the somewhat high standards I'm holding it to lol.

"The prettier the flower, the farther from the path." -Into the Woods 

#26 CinemaInternational

CinemaInternational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:09 PM

Currently watching Downstairs live on TCM.

Just finished up 1978's Superman, one of the most lyrical, exhilarating blockbusters that I have seen.

#27 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,528 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:11 AM

Right now, I'm watching the second half of the 1959 version of Imitation of Life.  I started watching this last night and fell asleep--no fault of the movie however.  I wanted to see what happened, because I was invested in the story--I just made the fatal mistake of lying down on the couch.  

This movie is heartbreaking--especially the relationship between Sarah Jane and Annie.  

I'll have to watch the Claudette Colbert version and see how it compares.  I'm usually somewhat indifferent to Lana Turner, but I really like her in this film. Sandra Dee is excellent here as well.  She starts out somewhat Gidget-like, but as the film progresses, Dee is really showing that she did have acting talent.  She's no Natalie Wood or Judy Garland, but she's very good in this film. 

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#28 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,711 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:47 AM

Just watched "Gymkata"  (1985) again on TCM Underground.  A few thoughts on films' absurdities:

Fire engine red is a wonderful color for camouflage.

Bad guys fire thousands of bullets and None hit their targets (the hero and heroine).  They use bows and arrows and spears and kill several expendable cast members (those whose billing is sixth or lower).

Were pommel horses part of the design of every town square built in the 18th century or later?

• LawrenceA likes this

#29 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,427 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:44 PM

365 Nights in Hollywood​--never heard of this 1934 musical comedy before, but it really was pretty entertaining.  The real interest is Alice Faye, still a teenager, in one of her first films, who is made up (platinum hair and smoky eyes) to be the image of Jean Harlow..it's amazing.  Faye is a small town girl who comes to Hollywood for stardom and enrolls in a shady school for actors run by Grant Mitchell.  James Dunn is the has-been director who is in on the deal.  She works nights as a car hop, and meets a fellow who just inherited a lot of $ and is willing to finance a film..if she gets to star. Yeah, it's hokey, but the acting and Faye's singing make it worthwhile...and the final song and dance number, complete with some great black and white 30's outfits, is really a cut above this B flick.

MV5BMjM0ODc5ODc2NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTM5 looks like Harlow, right?

Yea,  even the eyebrows!

#30 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:37 PM

365 Nights in Hollywood​--never heard of this 1934 musical comedy before, but it really was pretty entertaining.  The real interest is Alice Faye, still a teenager, in one of her first films, who is made up (platinum hair and smoky eyes) to be the image of Jean Harlow..it's amazing.  Faye is a small town girl who comes to Hollywood for stardom and enrolls in a shady school for actors run by Grant Mitchell.  James Dunn is the has-been director who is in on the deal.  She works nights as a car hop, and meets a fellow who just inherited a lot of $ and is willing to finance a film..if she gets to star. Yeah, it's hokey, but the acting and Faye's singing make it worthwhile...and the final song and dance number, complete with some great black and white 30's outfits, is really a cut above this B flick.

MV5BMjM0ODc5ODc2NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTM5 looks like Harlow, right?

#31 Classic movie fan

Classic movie fan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:32 PM

Ghost Adventures

Earlier , I watched "A Matter of Life and Death" with David Niven.
" Nobody's Perfect"

#32 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,234 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 04:31 PM

Getting caught up on the British soaps I didn't watch yesterday. Lots of comments on Twitter about a new incest storyline, which I don't think will turn out to be that at all-- probably the brother and sister are not really related. But the girl is pregnant, and of course, everyone is upset about it. The producer was recently sacked (a few weeks ago) so people are trying to suggest he was fired because of this new storyline. If only American soaps still had this much drama. LOL

• ChristineHoard likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#33 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,528 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:02 AM

I have a lot of movies checked out from the library and apparently I think I just need to keep watching episodes of "Mary Tyler Moore" and random things on You Tube.

I'm running out of renewals so I decided I need to start watching some of them.

Right now I'm watching "Foreign Correspondent."
  • LawrenceA and film lover 293 like this

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#34 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,234 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:25 PM

There's a very good film on Amazon Prime. It's called LADIES IN LAVENDER with Maggie Smith and Judi Dench. Definitely recommend it.

screen-shot-2017-07-07-at-6-38-13-pm.png

• LawrenceA and CinemaInternational like this

#35 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,234 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:23 PM

Working on my review for

screen-shot-2017-07-06-at-9-16-40-pm.png

#36 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,234 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:57 PM

probably my favorite film opening...Rhapsody in Blue ​with the amazing b/w NYC montage shots

Yeah, I can see why it did so well with audiences, especially east-coast U.S. moviegoers. 

#37 CinemaInternational

CinemaInternational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:51 AM

I just finished the Barbra Streisand version of A Star is Born. It was better than I had heard it was going to be.....
  • film lover 293 likes this

#38 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:22 PM

I'm watching Woody Allen's MANHATTAN on Amazon Prime. I've never seen it before.

probably my favorite film opening...Rhapsody in Blue ​with the amazing b/w NYC montage shots

• TopBilled likes this

#39 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,234 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:55 PM

I'm watching Woody Allen's MANHATTAN on Amazon Prime. I've never seen it before.

#40 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,528 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:39 AM

Since I don't have to work tomorrow, I get to stay up late. I'm watching a John Garfield movie I recorded the other day, "Nobody Lives Forever."

Edit: Apparently despite how much you want to stay up and watch a movie, when you got up at 5am that morning, your body decides that 10:30p is too late. I fell asleep almost instantly (no fault of the film). I'll try again tomorrow after sleep. It looked pretty good from what I saw.

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users