We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

What Are You Watching Now?

• Please log in to reply
2368 replies to this topic

#21 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,043 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 04:58 AM

"1941" (1979)--Spielberg's comedy of destruction and chaos has aged fairly well.  I enjoyed this rewatch.  Film is loud and unsubtle, but there are funny moments all the way through the film.  John Belushi as a gonzo pilot, Christopher Lee as a Nazi officer feuding with the Japanese officers on a lost Japanese submarine are especially good.  The jitterbug contest that turns into a brawl was my favorite scene.

• LawrenceA likes this

#22 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,043 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:08 AM

Just finished watching "Beyond the Poseidon Adventure" (1979).  First time I saw it, I saw it right after "The Poseidon Adventure" (1972).  The idiocies of the plot weren't as glaring this  time.  Still, there are things to watch for, like stairs that are right side up, a bed, table and lamp and bookshelves that are right side up, etc.  I couldn't believe how many little details were messed up by the continuity staff.

• LawrenceA likes this

#23 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

The Great Pumpkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:11 PM

Sleeping Beauty, which SpeedRacer also recently watched. I wish I had understood how beautiful the film was when I was a kid. The backgrounds alone make it look so stunning. It's almost like looking at a medieval tapestry.

#24 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,614 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:06 PM

I've been watching yet another silent movie, but at 9:00 PM EST I'll be watching the season finale of Game of Thrones. Extra long running time (80+ minutes), but followed by the melancholy of knowing that it will be another year before a new episode.

game-of-thrones-season-7-character-guide

• TopBilled and GGGGerald like this

#25 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:49 PM

This is what I'm watching right now:

screen-shot-2017-08-27-at-4-41-47-pm.png

I'd forgotten how good it is.

• ChristineHoard and LawrenceA like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#26 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:22 PM

​Love is a Ball ​(1963)--fair rom-com, featuring Charles Boyer as a matchmaker who profits from finding single heiresses to pair up with cash poor royalty.  In this case, the madcap heiress is Hope Lange, who fancies herself a free spirit destined to be a race car driver, and the royalty is Ricardo Montalban, a Duke with little left but the title.  Montalban needs training to be a convincing romeo, so Boyer hires a whole host of fellows to tutor him, including Glenn Ford (who is supposedly a champion race car driver, yet no one seems to know who he is).  Ford needs cash to keep his boat afloat, and becomes the chauffeur for Lange...you see where this is going, right?  Yes, Lange and Ford bicker themselves right into love...but the situation is pretty evident early on, and that's the trouble with the film.  Montalban is really pretty good as the nice guy who just happens to be a Duke, but Telly Savalas as Lange's uncle is a strange choice..he  doesn't do the 'softer scenes' that well.   Average, but nice scenery from the south of France.

• LawrenceA likes this

#27 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:47 PM

I rewatched an episode of Emmerdale and now I'm looking at episodes of The Doctors.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#28 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,612 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:26 AM

Now I've moved onto 101 Dalmatians.  The animation (at least the backgrounds) look less polished than predecessors like Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella; but I find the animation style charming.  I like the monochrome backgrounds and the painting outside the lines.  This movie also has a cool jazz score that I really like.  

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#29 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 10:46 PM

I'm continuing my preparation for my trip to Disney next week.  Last night I watched Cinderella.  Now I'm watching Sleeping Beauty. 

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#30 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:43 PM

I'm watching a great British crime drama from 1956. It's on YouTube.

screen5.jpg

#31 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,235 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:11 PM

Tight Spot​, with Ginger Rogers--started remembering it after about fifteen minutes--sometimes similar films begin to merge in my mind.. ;)

"Men!  They oughta trade themselves in for something a girl really needs"   hehe..good one, Ginger..

Yea, like a good hair stylist.    ;)

#32 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:37 PM

Working on my review for THE EYE OF THE STORM.

screen-shot-2017-08-03-at-6-36-14-am1.pn

#33 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:20 PM

Watching today's episode of Emmerdale.

#34 CinemaInternational

CinemaInternational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:25 PM

1947's Possessed with a smashing performance from Joan Crawford.

• laffite, ChristineHoard and LawrenceA like this

#35 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:50 PM

Tight Spot​, with Ginger Rogers--started remembering it after about fifteen minutes--sometimes similar films begin to merge in my mind.. ;) 

"Men!  They oughta trade themselves in for something a girl really needs"   hehe..good one, Ginger..

#36 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:16 PM

Episodes of The Doctors. Classic soap.

#37 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

The Great Pumpkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:13 PM

I've been watching Cary Grant all day on TCM.  I started with Mr. Lucky and now I'm watching The Philadelphia Story.  I love the opening scene with Katharine Hepburn breaking Cary Grant's golf club and Grant, using Hepburn's face, pushes her down flat on her back.  

Re: I Was a Male War Bride.  I'd seen this movie once before and for whatever reason, I didn't like it.  After re-watching it again, I re-evaluated my opinion and found it entertaining.  For some reason, I remember Cary Grant in drag and for whatever reason seemed to think that that was the main premise of the film, that's all I remembered.  But Grant is only in drag for maybe 10-15 mins.  I loved that Eleanor Audley was the assignments officer.  I didn't remember her being in the film, but as soon as I heard her voice, I immediately thought of the Wicked Stepmother and Maleficent.

Not to mention playing the disembodied Madame Leota in The Haunted Mansion ride at Disney theme parks.
  • speedracer5 likes this

#38 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:08 PM

I've been watching Cary Grant all day on TCM.  I started with Mr. Lucky and now I'm watching The Philadelphia Story.  I love the opening scene with Katharine Hepburn breaking Cary Grant's golf club and Grant, using Hepburn's face, pushes her down flat on her back.  

Re: I Was a Male War Bride.  I'd seen this movie once before and for whatever reason, I didn't like it.  After re-watching it again, I re-evaluated my opinion and found it entertaining.  For some reason, I remember Cary Grant in drag and for whatever reason seemed to think that that was the main premise of the film, that's all I remembered.  But Grant is only in drag for maybe 10-15 mins.  I loved that Eleanor Audley was the assignments officer.  I didn't remember her being in the film, but as soon as I heard her voice, I immediately thought of the Wicked Stepmother and Maleficent.  

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#39 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:38 PM

I'm watching BLANCHE FURY. Honestly, I watch this movie about once a month. I never get tired of it.

#40 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:16 PM

My husband and I are going to Disneyland in two weeks, so I'm getting into the Disney spirit.  We're also going to Monterey too, so I guess my first film got me into the spirit for that too!

I just finished watching the original 1961 version of The Parent Trap and fell in love with Brian Keith's Monterey ranch all over again.  Now I'm watching Aladdin. 

ooo lucky--Monterey area is (or was..years since I've been there) lovely...Hitchcock loved it too--filmed Suspicion and Rebecca ​in the county...

• speedracer5 and JamesStewartFan95 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users