We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

What Are You Watching Now?

• Please log in to reply
2064 replies to this topic

#21 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:02 PM

Earthquake (1974) - Starz Encore On Demand

w/ Charlton Heston, Ava Gardner (The first movie that I ever saw her in. Not exactly an ideal introduction.), George Kennedy, Lorne Greene (And, boy, it was odd seeing him off the Ponderosa!), Geneviève Bujold (Also the first movie that I ever saw her in. Was just a pretty face to me at that point.), Richard Roundtree (Knew of Shaft (1971). But wasn't old enough to have see it yet.), Marjoe Gortner (Only knew him at that point from Pray For The Wildcats (1974) and knew nothing about his preacher past. He did a good job of creeping me out in this one.), Barry Sullivan, Lloyd Nolan, Victoria Principal and Walter Matthau

I've haven't watched this one since its first run. A bit surprising since I have rewatched (and even own DVDs for) other 1970s disaster movies.

#22 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,141 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:53 PM

Movin' On starring Claude Akins and Frank Converse. Great series, on Hulu.

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#23 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:07 AM

49th Parallel (1941) - Charge! TV

w/ Leslie Howard, Laurence Olivier, Raymond Massey, Anton Walbrook and Eric Portman

I've been hoping to catch this one since I read Jill Blake's article on Movie Morlocks Streamline last December:

http://streamline.fi...-parallel-1941/

• TopBilled and LawrenceA like this

#24 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,141 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:34 AM

A British comedy called LET THE PEOPLE SING. It's on YouTube.

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#25 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:27 PM

​Barefoot in the Park starring the very appealing screen partnership of Jane Fonda and Robert Redford along with Mildred Natwick and Charles Boyer. I feel that this film is what a lot of modern romantic comedies try to emulate, but they just can't get that small town meets big city charm of the lead characters.

• TopBilled likes this

#26 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,141 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:24 PM

I love that series..wish the Ellery Queen film series was still around..have only seen one

Yes, Jim Hutton is great in the TV series. It only lasted one season in the mid-70s.

#27 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:56 PM

Ellery Queen starring Jim Hutton

I love that series..wish the Ellery Queen film series was still around..have only seen one

edit..watching March madness--Wisconsin won...yay!

• TopBilled likes this

#28 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

Along Came Jones (1945) - Charge! TV

w/ Gary Cooper (and also its producer), Loretta Young, William Demarest, Dan Duryea, and Russell Simpson

Charge! TV is a new digital broadcast television network that has replaced Grit TV in my neck of the woods. The network is expected to feature action- and adventure-based programming sourced primarily from the MGM television and film library. So naturally the first movie that I watch on this channel was released by RKO.

• LawrenceA likes this

#29 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,141 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:28 AM

Ellery Queen starring Jim Hutton

#30 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:12 AM

The Quatermass Xperiment (aka The Creeping Unknown) (1955) - Comet TV

Brian Donlevy as Professor Quatermass is a good way to start the day!

#31 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:41 AM

"Jungle Cat" (1960)--Talky Disney documentary about jaguars in the South American jungle. The camerawork is amazing and the score is good--that makes up for all the talk.

#32 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,141 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:01 PM

Working on my review for

screen-shot-2017-03-16-at-10-16-57-am.pn

#33 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,141 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:13 PM

Some season 2 episodes of Peter Gunn on Amazon Prime. Can never get enough of this show.

#34 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,127 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:25 PM

This great film has been added on Amazon Prime. It's been 150 million years since TCM aired it.

screen-shot-2017-03-13-at-5-08-23-pm1.pn

One of my favorite of all time. I have a copy of my own and I'm not a collector. Brooding Olivier, nasty Mariam, sweet Jennifer, and an Eddie Albert who is as finely cast an actor for a role that ever has been, and he is perfection.

• jamesjazzguitar likes this

#35 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:14 PM

It certainly was. TCM needs to give him a day in August and show those films in primetime.

I agree. My favorite Yul film is The King and I, but I like all of his performances.
  • TopBilled likes this

#36 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:11 PM

Hi Janet-- nice to see you posting. Mervyn and his daughter Glynis are just so great. I love watching them, especially in THE HALF-WAY HOUSE.

Thanks, Jarrod. I like Mervyn and Glynis too. I am going to see Half=Way House again. A very gifted actor who is always entertaining to watch. Also, his talented and beautiful daughter Glynis.
  • TopBilled likes this

#37 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:03 PM

Just saw "The Bride's Play" (1922)--Beautiful restoration and score by Ben Model.  Marion Davies in a double role in a romantic dramedy.  Elaborate film is very worth the watch.

"The Red Mill" (1926) is now playing--Davies seems more at ease in an out and out comedy--so far a very funny film.

I set these two up and looking forward to watching this weekend. I like Marion Davies films very much too!
  • film lover 293 likes this

#38 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,141 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:38 PM

I like Hungry Hill too. A very engrossing film! By the way, I am a big Mervyn Johns fan. The quote from Half-Way House reminds me of this this intriguing melodrama. I also love his performance in Dead of Night.

Hi Janet-- nice to see you posting. Mervyn and his daughter Glynis are just so great. I love watching them, especially in THE HALF-WAY HOUSE.

• MCannady1 likes this

#39 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:54 PM

Been binge-watching season five of Alfred Hitchcock Presents.  ​The first four seasons have been around, but the final three are new to me (at least I don't remember them)..great stuff..consistently good writing and acting.

I agree. I love the Alfred Hitchcock Presents and Alfred Hitchcock Hour. Both had superb guest stars and storylines.
  • TopBilled likes this

#40 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:51 PM

Watching HUNGRY HILL on YouTube. I really enjoy this movie, one of Daphne Du Maurier's overlooked stories.

I like Hungry Hill too. A very engrossing film! By the way, I am a big Mervyn Johns fan. The quote from Half-Way House reminds me of this this intriguing melodrama. I also love his performance in Dead of Night.
  • TopBilled likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users