We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

What Are You Watching Now?

• Please log in to reply
2175 replies to this topic

#21 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,337 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:36 PM

Working on my review for 

screen-shot-2017-05-19-at-11-31-49-am.pn

• CinemaInternational likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#22 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,337 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:18 PM

Emmerdale. Great episode today.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#23 NickAndNora34

NickAndNora34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationWalt Disney World

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:46 PM

FIDDLER ON THE ROOF

I'm re-watching this film, since it's been about 15 years or so since I first watched it. My dad's side of the family is Jewish, so it's interesting also to see a story of an old-world Jewish family (so to speak). I love the score to the Broadway show, so I'm prepared to sing along while watching lol. 

• LawrenceA likes this

"The prettier the flower, the farther from the path." -Into the Woods 

#24 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,366 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:32 AM

Uh-oh. Should Errol move over?

Lol no. Errol will always be #1!

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#25 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,164 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:02 AM

I just finished watching "All That Jazz." Now I'm watching "Humoresque." I didn't realize how hunky John Garfield is!

Uh-oh. Should Errol move over?

#26 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,366 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:51 PM

I just finished watching "All That Jazz." Now I'm watching "Humoresque." I didn't realize how hunky John Garfield is!

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#27 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,337 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:41 PM

Emmerdale. Again. I love. Love. Love this show.

#28 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,337 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:37 PM

Emmerdale. I found out that one of my favourite actresses is leaving the show. So I've been enjoying every episode she's in. It was announced she departs later in the year, and I'm going to miss her and this storyline. I've never seen an actress play vengeance in such a "loving" way. She's very dynamic to watch.

screen-shot-2017-05-10-at-3-32-58-pm.png

Gillian Kearney as Emma Barton

#29 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,366 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:23 PM

Right now I'm watching a movie I borrowed--Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid with William Powell and Ann Blyth.  I really like Blyth, so I was excited to see this film.

It seems like such an unusual film (especially for William Powell), which is another reason I was intrigued by it.

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#30 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,337 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:48 PM

Working on my review for

screen-shot-2017-05-09-at-8-48-38-pm.png

#31 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:32 PM

Mothra (1961) - TCM On Demand

#32 NickAndNora34

NickAndNora34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationWalt Disney World

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:40 AM

Kind of unrelated, but I'm watching YouTube videos about 80's/90's toys/paraphernalia that people find in thrift stores. It's really quite interesting to see what was trash to someone become treasure to another. 

• TopBilled likes this

"The prettier the flower, the farther from the path." -Into the Woods 

#33 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,337 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:22 PM

I'm watching THE WONDER BOY (1951) on YouTube. Someone recenlty uploaded it. Great quality print. This is a nicely made, rare British drama about a musical prodigy. Filmed on location in Austria.

screen-shot-2017-05-09-at-8-27-07-am.png

#34 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,164 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:19 AM

Just watched the first three episodes of Season Two BBC Series HOME FIRES and note with chagrin that this second season has jettisoned the charm and humor of the first season in favor of much more heavy handing. I bought the first season after seeing it on Netflix knowing that a second season was to come. I won't by the second season though, quite sure of it. Still a great story arc with the usual BBC production excellence.

...and to finish the thought

I watched two more episodes and then prior to viewing the season finale I decided to go online and see if there was to be a third season. The blaring headline was that the show had been cancelled and no Season Three and that the final episode (that I was about to watch) has a "Massive Cliffhanger" which was to remain unresolved. The cliffhanger was not that bad and the story was veering so out of control that I thought just as well (though I will miss the characters, terribly I think.) There's a pattern in some shows whereby they start out wonderfully with a freshness and sometime lengthy exposition that is pleasant and promising, but then as the new seasons pile up the story loses its early identity and devolves over time into a soap opera. This may not ruin a show if the latter has good production values, etc., but the show is still diminished and artificial with all the plot twists which become stupider and stupider. This was happening with Home Fires. I still recommend the show with a strong emphasis on the first season (six episodes) that I consider near perfection as one who is mad about the genre (i.e., the BBC thing).

#35 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,337 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:50 PM

There's a great looking print of this Paramount western on Amazon Prime:

screen2.jpg

#36 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,422 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:02 AM

"Best Foot Forward" (1943)--Enjoyable 1940's wartime musical--good music, but story is bland, like speedracer5 said in another thread.

I know why this directly followed "The Swarm" (1978)--Harry James plays "Flight of the Bumblebee", the big production number is "The Three B's" (Barrelhouse, Boogie Woogie, and the Blues), and the director was Edward BUZZell; someone at TCM was having fun with wordplay.

#37 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Micklewhite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,349 posts
  • LocationSouff London

Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:39 PM

tumblr_om3fwc5Mlr1qgwh79o1_500.gif

• mr6666 and LiamCasey like this

#38 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:29 PM

Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster (1964) - Svengoolie (MeTV)

godzilla5.jpg

• LawrenceA likes this

#39 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,337 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:17 PM

Watching the original TAKING OF PELHAM ONE TWO THREE. I'd never seen this film before.

#40 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,337 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:05 PM

Emmerdale

screen-shot-2017-05-04-at-5-03-35-pm.png

A few weeks ago I was in tears, for several episodes, when beloved Ashley died. They brought him back today, via two video clips. They're showing that he made recordings before his illness took his life, to cheer up his loved ones. It's not morbid at all. The clips are very humorous and the cast is having a great time interacting with him on screen. 

This is such a brilliant and well-made series. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users