We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

What Are You Watching Now?

• Please log in to reply
2117 replies to this topic

#21 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,135 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 05:26 PM

An episode of The Rifleman featuring a young Robert Vaughn.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#22 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:49 PM

The Greene Murder Case (1929) - YouTube

w/ William Powell (again as Philo Vance), Florence Eldridge, Ullrich Haupt, Jean Arthur (in a different and, hopefully, more worthwhile role than she had in the preceding The Canary Murder Case (1929)), Eugene Pallette (again as Sgt. Ernest Heath) and E.H. Calvert (again as District Attorney John F.X. Markham).

A bit odd that The Canary Murder Case makes a reference to The Greene Murder Case. And The Greene Murder Case makes a reference to The Canary Murder Case. So which movie is the chicken and which movie is the egg?

• LawrenceA likes this

#23 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,135 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:39 PM

Working on my review for 

screen-shot-2017-04-06-at-7-40-47-pm.png

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#24 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:31 PM

From what I've read, the producers hope to continue doing Cloverfield movies wherein each installment has little to nothing in common with each other, but rather acts as an anthology of SF/horror films. They're using the Cloverfield  moniker as a marketing gimmick. I got the feeling 10 Cloverfield Lane started as a totally unrelated script that the producers tweaked and renamed. I don't really mind, as long as they can keep the quality of the movies up. 

Kinda like what was attempted with the third Halloween movie (Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)). Here's hoping these particular filmmakers pull it off.

#25 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Grump

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,706 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:15 PM

It appears that we are in sync on 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016). My primary enjoyment with this movie was with the three actors (John Goodman, Mary Elizabeth Winstead and John Gallagher, Jr.) and their interactions within the bunker. But, once we were out of that bunker and the movie did its transition from suspense to science-fiction, it kinda felt like a twist ending for the sake of a twist ending. Not that there was anything wrong with the ending, per se, but it was just less than what came before.

But, for the most part, it was a well done movie.

And, lets be honest, if it didn't have "Cloverfield" in the title, no one would consider this a Cloverfield movie. So did it have that in the title simply to improve its box-office potential? Or is it just a token effort to have another shared universe?

Speaking of shared universes, since you didn't mention it in your original posting over in the "Films Of 2017" thread, did you know that there is supposed to be a third Cloverfield movie released this October? And, based upon the brief descriptions for that movie, this third Cloverfield movie appears to have as much in common with the first two movies as 10 Cloverfield Lane had with Cloverfield (2008). Of course, considering some filmmakers desire for secrecy, I wouldn't be surprised if they are just messing with us and this upcoming movie winds up not being a Cloverfield movie.

From what I've read, the producers hope to continue doing Cloverfield movies wherein each installment has little to nothing in common with each other, but rather acts as an anthology of SF/horror films. They're using the Cloverfield  moniker as a marketing gimmick. I got the feeling 10 Cloverfield Lane started as a totally unrelated script that the producers tweaked and renamed. I don't really mind, as long as they can keep the quality of the movies up. 

• LiamCasey likes this

#26 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:07 PM

I liked that, although the final act was a bit disappointing, to me. I thought the cast was very good.

It appears that we are in sync on 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016). My primary enjoyment with this movie was with the three actors (John Goodman, Mary Elizabeth Winstead and John Gallagher, Jr.) and their interactions within the bunker. But, once we were out of that bunker and the movie did its transition from suspense to science-fiction, it kinda felt like a twist ending for the sake of a twist ending. Not that there was anything wrong with the ending, per se, but it was just less than what came before.

But, for the most part, it was a well done movie.

And, lets be honest, if it didn't have "Cloverfield" in the title, no one would consider this a Cloverfield movie. So did it have that in the title simply to improve its box-office potential? Or is it just a token effort to have another shared universe?

Speaking of shared universes, since you didn't mention it in your original posting over in the "Films Of 2017" thread, did you know that there is supposed to be a third Cloverfield movie released this October? And, based upon the brief descriptions for that movie, this third Cloverfield movie appears to have as much in common with the first two movies as 10 Cloverfield Lane had with Cloverfield (2008). Of course, considering some filmmakers desire for secrecy, I wouldn't be surprised if they are just messing with us and this upcoming movie winds up not being a Cloverfield movie.

#27 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,135 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:22 PM

Looking at two episodes of The Rifleman featuring guest star Michael Landon. He's a great actor.

#28 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Grump

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,706 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:04 PM

10 Cloverfield Lane (2016) - Blu-ray

I liked that, although the final act was a bit disappointing, to me. I thought the cast was very good.

#29 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:01 PM

10 Cloverfield Lane (2016) - Blu-ray

#30 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:28 AM

The Canary Murder Case (1929) - YouTube

w/ William Powell as Philo Vance, Jean Arthur, James Hall and Louise Brooks as The Canary. Plus Eugene Pallette. 

The only Philo Vance movie that I have previously seen is the oft-aired The Kennel Murder Case (1933) also with Mr. Powell. And I've always wanted to one day see at least the other Philo Vance movies that starred him. And shutoo's current trivia question over in the "Movies Titles-AKA" thread triggered the desire to make that one day today.

It doesn't take long to notice that the film makers had to work around the absence of Ms. Brooks when they decided to convert this one from a silent to a sound movie.

#31 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:15 AM

Treasure Island (1934) - TCM

w/ Wallace Beery, Jackie Cooper, Lionel Barrymore, Otto Kruger, Lewis Stone and Nigel Bruce.

A good movie to make breakfast by. The first time I saw this one, I only needed a single digit to indicate my age.

#32 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,135 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:52 AM

A British noir called CIRCLE OF DANGER (1951) starring Ray Milland. This has to be one of director Jacques Tourneur's least known films.

#33 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:52 PM

The Poseidon Adventure (1972) - DVD

w/ Gene Hackman, Ernest Borgnine, Red Buttons, Carol Lynley, Roddy McDowall, Stella Stevens, Shelley Winters, Jack Albertson, Pamela Sue Martin, Arthur O'Connell, Eric Shea and Leslie Nielsen

Back for more 1970s disaster movies.

This one was the first of that type of movie that I ever saw. I've also read Paul Gallico's novel but I don't recall whether I read the book before or after I saw the movie. Both were enjoyable.

• film lover 293 likes this

#34 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 01:57 PM

The Happy Family​ (which was evidently retitled Mr. Lord Says No​), a 1952 Brit comedy  about post war London, government red-tape, social division, and living by one's convictions.  Stanley Holloway heads the cast as Mr. Lord, retired from the railroad and his wife Kathleen Harrison (who is just terrific) and children who happen to own a shop and home that the government needs to demolish for roads to their pricey exhibition.  The family holds firm against bureaucrat  Naunton Wayne (to Hitch fans, he's the cricket obsessed Caldicott from The Lady Vanishes​) and are passed along the political chain, receiving no attention from elected officials until they barricade themselves in their home and make news.  Harrison's eccentric sister, played by Dandy Nichols and Holloway's big bunny, Winston, are scene stealers.  Well worth a viewing!

Another thumbs up for the second brit/com I watched..Castle in the Air.  ​This one I'd seen before..the story of a broke Scottish Earl (David Tomlinson) trying to sell his castle which happens to be haunted by a very pretty blonde ghost.  If you're a fan of Margaret Rutherford, it's worth a look.  I'd put it in the 'cute movie' category.

#35 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:32 AM

In Like Flint (1967) - Starz Encore On Demand

w/ James Coburn, Lee J. Cobb, Jean Hale, Andrew Duggan and Anna Lee. Plus (farther down the credit list) Steve "Garth of Izar" Ihnat, Herb Edelman and Yvonne "Batgirl" Craig

It was the only logical choice.

#36 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:15 AM

Our Man Flint (1966) - Starz Encore On Demand

w/ James Coburn, Gila Golan, Lee J. Cobb and Edward Mulhare. Plus (farther down the credit list) Benson Fong, Sigrid Valdis (Colonel Klink's second secretary) and James Brolin.

The first movie that I recall seeing Mr. Coburn in. And "Derek Flint" is still the first image that comes to my mind when I hear or see his name.

This was also the first movie that I ever saw Mr. Cobb in. Needless to say, I was in for some pleasant surprises when I eventually caught him in other movies like 12 Angry Men (1957).

And, considering my age, Mr. Mulhare was my first Captain Gregg.

#37 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 04:41 PM

Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000) - Starz Encore Action

The second of Toho's six movies in their Millennium period from 1999 to 2004. The first of those, Godzilla 2000 (1999), I got to see at a drive-in theater when it came out. The other five, though, I've yet to see and, since this channel is showing all of them tonight, I may be here for the duration.

• LawrenceA and film lover 293 like this

#38 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 02:51 PM

Airport (1970) - DVD

w/ Burt Lancaster, Dean Martin (In probably his best performance as Dean Martin.), Jean Seberg (The first movie that I ever saw her in.), Jacqueline Bisset (Whom I had already seen in Murder on the Orient Express (1974) but she didn't have a stand out role in that one so I made no connection between the two at that time.), George Kennedy (I've always loved the fact that they introduced his character while he was necking with his wife. Not the usual introduction for that type of character.), Helen Hayes (The first movie that I ever saw her in. And she was an absolute hoot in it. Her character could have easily been part of the con game in The Sting (1973)), Van Heflin, Maureen Stapleton (I wish those two had more scenes together.), Barry Nelson, Dana Wynter, Lloyd Nolan, Barbara Hale (Probably the first time I saw her as anything other than Della Street.), Gary Collins and Whit Bissell.

After watching Earthquake (1974) a couple of weeks ago plus the active thread on this particular movie over in General Discussions, it seemed like a good time for another 1970s disaster movie.

Although considered the first of such movies, the first time I watched this one was when it was on television a number of years after it was released and after I had already seen Airport 1975 (1974) much less after already seeing Skyjacked (1972), The Poseidon Adventure (1972), Earthquake, and The Towering Inferno (1974). But, although Airport was more than just a disaster movie, it was easy to see why its climax kicked off that trend.

#39 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:52 PM

I just watched the last 30 minutes of The Wolf Man (which I hadn't seen before, now I kind of want to see the rest of it.  I'm a big fan of Claude Rains too).

Now Vertigo is starting.  I'm not a fan of Tiffany, but did notice that she wasn't wearing something hideous this time.  Maybe TCM has hired better stylists.  Anyway, she's pretty innocuous to me at this point, she introduces the film and I move on.  I prefer Ben, but he can't be on screen all the time.

Anyway, I digress.

Vertigo is one of those films that I enjoy watching even though it is hard to follow.  Each time I watch it, another piece of the puzzle falls into place and the plot becomes a little more clear.  Sometimes if a movie is too complicated and there is nothing else on screen that is interesting, then I'll proclaim the movie to be boring or strange or something.  However, if the film is complicated but something on the film interests me, then I'm more apt to want to watch it more.  Vertigo is one of those films.  It's complicated, but the film has interesting actors, visuals and music.  While this film certainly isn't even among my top 5 favorite Hitchcock films, I do like to watch it.

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#40 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,135 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:51 PM

Working on my review for

screen-shot-2017-03-31-at-6-15-02-pm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users