We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

What Are You Watching Now?

• Please log in to reply
2054 replies to this topic

#41 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:31 PM

Bats (1999) - Starz Encore On Demand

w/ Lou Diamond Phillips and Dina Meyer

According to Wikipedia, this movie is about "a hostile swarm of genetically mutated bats who terrorize a local Texas town and it is up to zoologist Sheila Casper, who teams up with town Sheriff Emmett Kimsey, to exterminate the creatures before they take more lives". Sounds just mindless enough to make dinner by!

#42 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,307 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:53 PM

On my quest to watch the entire series of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, I have made it to season seven.  I am watching the episode where we see Sue-Ann's bedroom, complete with a mirrored ceiling, a big round, vibrating bed and a remote control that not only controls the bed, it dims the lights and turns on Tchaikovsky's love theme from Romeo and Juliet.  

The question I have when I see this episode: Where does one find round sheets for a round bed?  

• LiamCasey likes this

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#43 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:27 PM

Anastasia (1956) - TCM

w/ Ingrid Bergman, Yul Brynner, Helen Hayes, Akim Tamiroff, and Martita Hunt

The King and I, The Ten Commandments and Anastasia. 1956 was a heck of a good year for Mr. Brynner.

• TopBilled likes this

#44 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:27 AM

"Thrashin' " (1986)--Dimwitted film about skateboard gangs is worth watching for the good soundtrack--Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Bangles, etc. and the occasional horselaugh (one character goes flying off a four story high parking ramp, then reappears unhurt in the next scene, the girlfriend who goes back to Indiana reappears at the Big skateboard race.  Boyfriend--"What are you doing back here?"  Girlfriend--"Don't ask").

#45 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,102 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:27 PM

I'm watching a few more episodes of Edge of Night on YouTube. Part of the 'Mansion of the Damned' storyline from 1979.

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#46 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:54 PM

Twelve O'Clock High (1949) - Starz Encore On Demand

w/ Gregory Peck, Hugh Marlowe, Gary Merrill, Millard Mitchell, Dean Jagger, Paul Stewart and (way down there in uncredited land) Kenneth Tobey

#47 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,102 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:05 AM

Soldiers Three (1951) - TCM

w/ Stewart Granger, Walter Pidgeon, David Niven, Robert Newton, Cyril Cusack, Dan O'Herlihy  and Michael "Kang" Ansara

I like the cast but I have absolutely no expectation that this one will compare favorably to Gunga Din (1939). Which is just as well as I just need something mindless in the background while I work on my taxes.

There's an interesting article on this film in the TCM database. The director (Tay Garnett) and lead (Stewart Granger) are quoted as saying it didn't work as they had hoped. But Maltin gives it three stars so it has its fans.

• LiamCasey likes this

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#48 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:50 AM

Soldiers Three (1951) - TCM

w/ Stewart Granger, Walter Pidgeon, David Niven, Robert Newton, Cyril Cusack, Dan O'Herlihy  and Michael "Kang" Ansara

I like the cast but I have absolutely no expectation that this one will compare favorably to Gunga Din (1939). Which is just as well as I just need something mindless in the background while I work on my taxes.

• TopBilled likes this

#49 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,027 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:43 PM

Been binge-watching season five of Alfred Hitchcock Presents.  ​The first four seasons have been around, but the final three are new to me (at least I don't remember them)..great stuff..consistently good writing and acting.

• TopBilled and MCannady1 like this

#50 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:35 AM

"The Taming of the Shrew" (1967)--Film stopped and started 4 times in the first 10 minutes--I'm in East TN--Comcast is my cable--problems seem to be worked out--Zeffirelli film is beautiful, and Taylor is funny.

#51 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:55 PM

I'm watching All About Eve.  I was going to go see this tonight in the theater, but I've come down with a cold that has gotten worse each day.  I didn't want to be *that* person sniffling and sneezing in the theater--so I decided to spare everyone and myself and stay home.  I was also worried that I'd end up falling asleep in the dark theater.

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#52 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:24 PM

Just saw a "featurette" on the British premiere of "The Taming of the Shrew" on archive.org; was about three minutes long.  Had a short interview with Taylor and Burton, then footage of the British premiere, ending with the Burtons being presented to Princess Margaret.

#53 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,102 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:04 AM

Working on my review for the essentials thread.

screen-shot-2017-03-07-at-6-36-43-pm.png

#54 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,102 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:06 PM

Some more Edge of Night episodes on YouTube.

#55 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:13 PM

The Island of Dr. Moreau (1977) - Comet TV

w/ Burt Lancaster, Michael York, Nigel Davenport, Barbara Carrera, Richard Basehart and (of course) Nick Cravat

• LawrenceA likes this

#56 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:26 AM

The Fall of the House of Usher (1960) - Comet TV

Starring Vincent Price. Directed by Roger Corman (and the first of his Edgar Allan Poe movies). And written by Richard Matheson. Now that is a winning threesome!

• LawrenceA and binapiraeus like this

#57 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,102 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:31 AM

I have insomnia...so I am watching a kitchen sink drama by Basil Dearden. I'd never heard of this film before:

screen-shot-2017-03-07-at-12-30-15-am1.p

#58 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,102 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:17 AM

I'm watching a Robert Newton film from 1939 called DEAD MEN ARE DANGEROUS. 

It just started. No idea what it's about. But Robert Newton is always entertaining.

#59 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:47 PM

Now I'm watching Some Like it Hot

DAPHNE: "Men?! We wouldn't be caught dead with men! Rough, hairy beasts... with eight hands! And they...they only want one thing from a girl!"

SUGAR: "Josephine, just imagine. Me, Sugar Kowalczyk from Sandusky, Ohio. On a millionaire's yacht. If my mother could only see me now.

DAPHNE: "I hope my mother never finds out!" 

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#60 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,027 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:20 PM

I was in the mood for something 'Neil Simon-ish', and was looking for two tv movies..​Laughter on the 23rd Floor and The Sunshine Boys (with Woody Allen and Peter Falk)..couldn't dig up either..but I did find a Simon film I'd never seen--The Star Spangled Girl.  ​well, he wrote the original play..perhaps the script writers lost something along the way.  There are some funny bits with Tony Roberts and Todd Susman as roommates who publish an underground newspaper.  Susman becomes infatuated (today we would call him a stalker) with 'oh gosh, is this the big city?' southerner Sandy Duncan.  It goes downhill very quickly and predictably and it feels like they're rushing to get it over with.  Oh, well.

• LawrenceA likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users