We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

What Are You Watching Now?

• Please log in to reply
2170 replies to this topic

#41 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,179 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 07:11 PM

A really funny British comedy from 1950 called SOMETHING IN THE CITY. It's on YouTube.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#42 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,179 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:32 PM

Watching my British soaps right now. 

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#43 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,179 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:23 PM

Working on my review for

screen-shot-2017-04-26-at-8-17-45-pm.png

#44 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,605 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:37 PM

Just when I thought I'd seen every William Castle film...nope..just found ​The Spirit is Willing.  This falls into the 'more silly than schlocky/scary/fun' category...like Zotz!.  ​Basically, Sid Caesar and wife Vera Miles blame son Barry Gordon for the havoc in their vacation home, but it turns out...it was ghosts.  Some good supporting players--Mary Wickes, John Astin and John McGiver--but the last third really fizzles out.

• TopBilled likes this

#45 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,179 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:55 PM

Thought I'd watch some more Mission: Impossible on Amazon Prime. Up now-- Joan Collins guest stars in a season 3 episode called 'Nicole.' She plays a double agent who falls for Jim (Peter Graves).

#46 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,179 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:17 AM

Wow! The forum literally blacked out the word BLA CKIE from the film title 'Boston Bla ckie'. Geesh!  :o

Yes, the auto censor has a mind of its own. LOL I usually write it together as one word: BOSTONBLACKIE.

#47 Rodmann2

Rodmann2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationDMV

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:58 AM

And The Falcon, The Whistler, The Crime Doctor, etc. I've never seen any of the Lone Wolf movies but will definitely give them a try if I get the chance!

James, are you familiar with Columbia's 'Boston ****' movies with Chester Morris? I saw the initial film in the series last year & enjoyed it a lot. Been wanting more every since.  

Wow! The forum literally blacked out the word BLA CKIE from the film title 'Boston Bla ckie'. Geesh!  :o

Don't talk to me about self-respect! That's something you tell yourself you got when you got nothing else.

#48 Rodmann2

Rodmann2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationDMV

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:56 AM

This is a film I have seen on MOVIES-TV and yea,  while on paper it looks like a winner (detective story,  nice looking gals, etc..) the end result is anything but.     Oh well, there is always the lone wolf. 

And The Falcon, The Whistler, The Crime Doctor, etc. I've never seen any of the Lone Wolf movies but will definitely give them a try if I get the chance!

James, are you familiar with Columbia's 'Boston ****' movies with Chester Morris? I saw the initial film in the series last year & enjoyed it a lot. Been wanting more every since.  

Don't talk to me about self-respect! That's something you tell yourself you got when you got nothing else.

#49 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,605 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:49 PM

Just finished HOW TO BEAT THE HIGH COST OF LIVING (haven't seen in years..cute)..now watching RADIOLAND MURDERS (never seen..looks promising)..keep finding all kinds of stuff...
  • TopBilled likes this

#50 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,179 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:03 PM

screen-shot-2017-04-25-at-7-02-14-pm.png

I'm watching a season 5 episode of the original Mission: Impossible. I chose this one because it's George Sanders' last television role. He plays an arms dealer with a fondness for gambling and Lesley Ann Warren. 'The Merchant' which was originally broadcast in March 1971.

screen-shot-2017-04-25-at-7-04-18-pm.png

#51 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,707 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:45 PM

Watched Lloyd Nolan in 'Michael Shayne: Private Detective' (1940) last night. Horrible, badly written movie with an unlikeable lead character. This may have been because the weak script contains no character development for the character of "Michael Shayne". Just all tough guy antics & the typical private dick cliches. 

This is disappointing because I had planned on watching the whole series. 

This is a film I have seen on MOVIES-TV and yea,  while on paper it looks like a winner (detective story,  nice looking gals, etc..) the end result is anything but.     Oh well, there is always the lone wolf. 

#52 Rodmann2

Rodmann2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationDMV

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:30 PM

Watched Lloyd Nolan in 'Michael Shayne: Private Detective' (1940) last night. Horrible, badly written movie with an unlikeable lead character. This may have been because the weak script contains no character development for the character of "Michael Shayne". Just all tough guy antics & the typical private dick cliches. 

This is disappointing because I had planned on watching the whole series. 

#53 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,179 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:07 PM

Some season 3 episodes of Peter Gunn on Amazon Prime. I love the set design for Edie's new supper club. Very stylish.

#54 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,179 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:39 PM

THE WIND OF CHANGE, a British B film about racial hatred. An interesting production, which has gained in (cult) status over the years. It's on YouTube.

• LawrenceA likes this

#55 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,360 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:18 AM

I'm watching Beyond the Sea with Kevin Spacey and Kate Bosworth.  This film is Spacey's pet project about Bobby Darin.  This film is fantastic.  While I'm not sure how accurate Darin and Sandra Dee's relationship is portrayed (only Darin and Dee would know), I am very impressed with Kevin Spacey's voice as Bobby Darin.  This film is enjoyable for the music alone.  John Goodman is in this film and, per usual, he does a great job.  Someone give this man an Oscar already. 

• LawrenceA and MCannady1 like this

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#56 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,179 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:54 PM

A Paramount noir on YouTube:

screen5.jpg?w=220

• LawrenceA likes this

#57 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,179 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:08 PM

I'm watching Coronation Street.

#58 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,360 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:27 PM

I just turned on my TV and tuned to TCM and what movie was just starting? 

THE LONG LONG TRAILER!

That's what I'm watching.

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#59 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,179 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:42 PM

Working on my review for 

screen-shot-2017-04-20-at-2-04-43-pm.png

#60 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,360 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:14 PM

I'm watching Golddiggers of 1933.  I'm not a big fan of Busby Berkeley's choreography, but I do like this movie, because it's so absurd.  "Pettin' in the Park" ? What was that?! Lol.  It's also quite risque, even for pre-code.  The rain sequence in "Pettin' in the Park" is especially scandalous.  You can completely see that some of the ladies are topless or even nude. 

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users