We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

What Are You Watching Now?

• Please log in to reply
2327 replies to this topic

#41 NickAndNora34

NickAndNora34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • LocationWalt Disney World

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:46 PM

Walk on the Wild Side (1962): starring Jane Fonda, Capucine, Anne Baxter, & Barbara Stanwyck. I have never heard of this film, but on the DVD case, there's an inscription that reads "This is an adult picture." So I guess I'm in for a treat. 

• speedracer5 likes this

"The prettier the flower, the farther from the path." -Into the Woods 

#42 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,891 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:20 PM

An interesting 2011 Australian film called THE EYE OF THE STORM. It stars Charlotte Rampling and Judy Davis as a dying mother and her troubled daughter. It can be streamed on Hulu.

• LawrenceA and Arsan404 like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#43 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:46 AM

The Long, Long Trailer, starring Lucy and Desi. I'm a huge fan of their tv show, I Love Lucy (for anyone having a mental block lol), and decided to give this one a try. I'm super tired though from a 2-show day today so I'm thinking I'll have to wait for tomorrow to finish it.

This is my favorite film of all time. I'm not exaggerating, I've probably seen it over a hundred times.
  • NickAndNora34 likes this

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#44 NickAndNora34

NickAndNora34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • LocationWalt Disney World

Posted 29 July 2017 - 11:54 PM

The Long, Long Trailer, starring Lucy and Desi. I'm a huge fan of their tv show, I Love Lucy (for anyone having a mental block lol), and decided to give this one a try. I'm super tired though from a 2-show day today so I'm thinking I'll have to wait for tomorrow to finish it.
  • speedracer5 likes this

"The prettier the flower, the farther from the path." -Into the Woods 

#45 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,891 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:55 AM

THUNDER ON THE HILL starring Claudette Colbert. Great film.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#46 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,891 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:52 PM

Working on my review for 

screen-shot-2017-06-26-at-12-37-43-pm.pn

#47 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,891 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:54 PM

I just watched WYOMING MAIL on YouTube. Someone uploaded a bunch of great Universal westerns. Now I'm starting SASKATCHEWAN which features Alan Ladd & Shelley Winters.

screen-shot-2017-07-23-at-7-58-28-pm.png

A pairing you don't see everyday.

#48 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:34 PM

Inherit the Wind​--the Tracy/March courtroom scenes should be in an acting manual, under the caption 'How to properly chew up the scenery'

• TopBilled, LawrenceA, film lover 293 and 2 others like this

#49 FrankieAnne

FrankieAnne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Locationon a ranch in north Northern California where I work but cell phones don't

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:49 PM

THE STAR with Bette Davis on TCM.  One of my favorites.  I love seeing a young Natalie Wood in this one.

#50 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,891 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:12 PM

THE FURIES (1950) on Hulu. It's been several years since I'd seen it. Stanwyck and Dame Judith Anderson are superb.

#51 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,891 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 06:18 PM

Working on my review for

screen-shot-2017-06-26-at-12-37-51-pm.pn

#52 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:02 PM

Topaz (1969) - TCM On Demand

An Alfred Hitchcock movie that I have not previously seen.

• TopBilled likes this

#53 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:01 AM

The Drowning Pool (1975) - TCM On Demand

w/ Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Anthony Franciosa, Murray Hamilton, Gail Strickland, Melanie Griffith, Richard Jaeckel and Andrew Robinson.

Been awhile since I've had an opportunity to sit back and watch a movie. And been awhile since I've seen this particular one.

#54 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:30 PM

Wending my way through Edward the King, Disc One (1975) where Annette Crosbie chews the scenery as a young Queen Victoria and Robert Hardy's German accent sounds faintly ridiculous as Prince Albert but I've gotten used to both. Surprised to see a very young Charles Sturridge as young Bertie (boy Edward), the same who later distinguished himself as a director including Where Angels Fear to Tread and A Handful of Dust (to name two) and who, in the present drama, portrays the young Prince trying to grow up despite the pernicious influence of his parents. There is great impetus to hang with this because when Bertie finally grows up he will be portrayed by the wonderful actor, Timothy West, who was fantastic as Porfiry in Crime and Punishment (with John Hurt as Raskolnikov) a few years later.

#55 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,891 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:48 PM

It used to play a lot on the Fox Movie Channel, and the print there was very good.

Okay, makes sense. There was no Fox Movie Channel logo on the print I found on YouTube. Maybe it's a Fox Archives release and that's the copy published online. Such a good movie. 

• LawrenceA likes this

#56 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,946 posts
  • LocationBreathin' Down Your Neck!

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:53 AM

Someone published the best looking print I have ever seen of THE SECRET OF CONVICT LAKE on YouTube. I never watched this film before because all the other copies had such poor print quality. What a great story, and I don't think TCM has ever aired it.

It used to play a lot on the Fox Movie Channel, and the print there was very good.

• TopBilled likes this

#57 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,891 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:30 AM

Someone published the best looking print I have ever seen of THE SECRET OF CONVICT LAKE on YouTube. I never watched this film before because all the other copies had such poor print quality. What a great story, and I don't think TCM has ever aired it.

screen-shot-2017-07-19-at-6-31-50-am.png

• LawrenceA likes this

#58 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,891 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:02 PM

A Republic western on Hulu called A MAN ALONE. It stars (and was directed by) Ray Milland.

#59 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:14 AM

whoops...

#60 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:14 AM

Password--​early 60s, Betty White and Shelley Berman--a woman paired with Berman was a housewife with a daughter named Taffy--now I can't stop thinking of a woman about 60 named Taffy around somewhere today... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users