We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Remakes of Musicals in general

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#41 miki

miki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA U. S. A.

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:51 AM

For a long time they have threatened to remake "West Side Story" but with out the original songs?!! I imagine as long as Arthur Laurents is alive this will not happen.

Arthur Laurents is now dead!  Hopefully this will not happen, at all, because a re-make of the film West Side Story would be an utter fiasco--it would just cut the heart and soul right out of it.

#42 miki

miki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA U. S. A.

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:48 AM

I totally disagree, let the original Musicals stand on their own, besides the remakes are rarely better.

You're spot-on with this, sdgarcia!  A musical, especially one such as West Side Story, stands as is, is what it is, and, as you've pointed out, musical re-makes are very seldom better in the end.  Hollywood is doing lots of re-makes and sequels to  movies, because they've clearly run out of creative ideas.  

#43 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,529 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

Well most of the time I have seen the original before the remake but sometimes there is a really old original, e.g. The Maltese Falcon, where I saw the 41 remake before the 31 original.

But yea, if I like the story I like to see what another group of people do with the same source material.

#44 DougieB

DougieB

I Love Melvin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

You're right about that. So many talented people had non-careers because the studios only wanted their voices and nothing else. In "Singin' In The Rain", Debbie Reynolds' character eventually became a star after having only been a voice, but I doubt that happened in real life. As far as whether or not people would bother to check out an original if the remake were poor, I guess I was playing devil's advocate. I myself like to see every version of a film I like if I can track them down and I bet you're that way too, but so many people are turned off by anything "old" or black-and-white or Academy-ratio. Their loss, right?

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces

#45 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,529 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

With regards to "I think it could also prevent people from bothering to check out the original if the remake was so unsatisfactory";

Well I guess that could go either way; Someone might be more interested in the original if they are told by someone how much better the original was, but if they felt the basic plot (story), was weak then I could see them not wishing to check out the original.

But other reason for a remake would be to feature actresses that actually do the singing. e.g. No Rita or Audrey, need apply!

#46 DougieB

DougieB

I Love Melvin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:39 AM

A big problem with remakes is that tastes in popular music evolve and change. The score to an older musical can be tweaked to somewhat reflect the changes, but it often seems forced. I don't mean that the words and music can't be appreciated still, but that they don't always make as much sense if the setting is updated. Classic musicals pretty much need to be done as period pieces or not at all. Something like "State Fair" could theoretically still be done since we still have state fairs, but would a modern audience really be roused by Darren Criss and Taylor Swift singing "It's a Grand Night For Singing" if it were done in a twenty-first century setting? I agree with you that a remake doesn't necessarily detract from the original, but I think it could also prevent people from bothering to check out the original if the remake was so unsatisfactory. Most, though not all, of the musicals mentioned have been remakes themselves in a sense, having been translated from stage to screen. Maybe the best place for a reamke of any of them is back on the stage, where doing thing in period seems to be more the standard.

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces

#47 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,529 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

Again, how does a remake prevent the original from 'standing on it's own'. I already stated multiple times that I rarely find a remake better than the original. So what.

A remake being attention to the original. I have often had discussions with people that have only seen the remake. When they hear there is an earlier version they often seek that out. They wouldn't of been interested in the original if it wasn't for the remake.

So I really don't see what there is to disagree with; Again, tell me what harm a remake does to the original? NONE! (except when the producers of the remake legally prevent access to the original by buying the rights to the original).

#48 sdgarcia

sdgarcia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

I totally agree, MacRae's voice was the best, not one can compare, or even come close. Gordon MacRae was amazing!

#49 sdgarcia

sdgarcia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:57 PM

I totally disagree, let the original Musicals stand on their own, besides the remakes are rarely better.
  • miki likes this

#50 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,529 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

How does an original not 'stand on its own' if there is a remake?

In fact a remake brings attention to the original. If we want more people to appreciate the talents of MacRae, a remake helps this cause.

The original doesn't lose value because of a remake. In fact it gains more value.

#51 sdgarcia

sdgarcia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

I agree, you can not replace the great voice of Gordon MacRae, his range was amazing. There is no one who came, or comes close to the emotion he could convey, with just a simple change in pitch like Gordon MacRae. Remaking this great musical would be a mistake, let it stand on it's own.

#52 bella38

bella38

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

That is my point, in general no one knows how to make a musical anymore.......a better chance to see something good would be found in Broadway (even dinner theaters ha !) Yet , unlike the movies that came to be after a good run on Broadway , where is one? I do not remember a musical being made after seen on Broadway.
Directors?? the costumes? No attempts , or serious ones. There are some good shows on Broadway, the Producers (JMO) went to long and was not good enough to then become a movie , what is needed is someone willing to take a chance and a few actors who are willing to forgo a 30 to 50 million paycheck......It is called integrity. There are plenty of books ready to be made into a musical .Also there are some good musical remakes, all it takes is a fresh new look and leave the premise of the story in place. I honestly think we need something new, the Sci FYI.....has more than run its course, scary movies? really? they have had to resort to a twist at the end, trying to make it humorous ...thus the Scary Movie is gone, beaten up. My second favorite Suspense, they seem to have forgotten how to make these also. If you cannot keep me on the edge of my seat please do not bother me.
A good musical keeps you spellbound , on the edge of your seat and in wonder how someone could actually dance! Many were written , a good director is needed....recent failures is because the Musical is just plain old dusty..........now get some good talent and put one together.

#53 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,529 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

Well one way to help us measure if the current talent is up to that of the 'old days' is by viewing a remake. Also, a remake brings attention to the original. I just don't understand why so many classic movie fans feel remakes somehow harm the original.

Anytime there is a remake the talking heads on T.V. entertainment shows ALSO discuss the original. Often this is the only exposure the original gets on mainstream T.V. There is no evidence to support the POV that remakes limit the access to the original e.g. make it harder to get a DVD of the original.

#54 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

Of course, they are doing THE SOUND OF MUSIC, in the fall of this year. However, it isn't a remake. It will be a live production of, I believe, the stage show; but, because it is live television, it will be neither the stage show or the movie. It will be a hybrid of both, I would expect, done in a studio, with various sets, like the days of live teleplays. It will have the look of a daytime soap. With the casting of Carrie Underwood, I would rather they were doing ANNIE GET YOUR GUN, but, whatever, I'll be watching, though not expecting much. It certainly isn't possible for them to better the 1965 film, which is among a very rare breed of film. It is perfect.

#55 bella38

bella38

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:25 PM

This is just a general statement,as for myself, I believe all or most movies have been remade , I was much older than I care to remember when I found out that most sitcoms started out in the United Kingdom..... Spain and so on. A little rework for U.S.audiences and there you go.

"Mother Wore Tights", was a musical, a musical comedy and then a comedy with a tragic outcome for the two daughters, one worse than the other, as they did not want anyone to know at the exclusive Boarding School what there parents did for a living (as this was frowned upon) ......I say comedy because the dancing was cut to a minimum and I don't know what 'category' it would fall into.
Finally, I wish they would remake the musicals, keeping true to form.In my opinion we have no known talent (Director, writers... the whole package) that could compete, the actors would have to bring a "spark"...............Please just leave The Sound of Music out of it.

#56 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

The idea of Streisand playing Rose is preposterious, to me. She's supposed to be a woman with very young children. Are they adopted? She went from being 30 years too young for Dolly to 30 years too old for Rose. Being way too old, and with her limited acting ability, I'll pass. If, it ever gets made.

#57 Im4movies2

Im4movies2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

I heard that Barbra Streisand still intends to do a remake of Gypsy with of course her turn as doing MaMa Rose and directing, If Barbra really wants a bone fide swan song and retire for good that would do it.

#58 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:39 PM

> {quote:title=flash70 wrote:}{quote}it's interesting how they are making musicals based on non-musical cult movies....Little Shop of Horrors, Hairspray, the Producers, etc, etc,,..but I have to ask if it is really necessary to do a musical remake of Footloose??
Well, the original wasn't a musical, so it's no different than the others. I haven't seen it, but in the case of HAIRSPRAY and THE PRODUCERS, the musical versions are inferior to the original films.

#59 joefilmone

joefilmone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:58 PM

The movie version of the "The Producers" musical was horrendous. "Footloose" was remade because Hollywood will remake anything with a commercial title.

#60 flash70

flash70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:24 AM

it's interesting how they are making musicals based on non-musical cult movies....Little Shop of Horrors, Hairspray, the Producers, etc, etc,,..but I have to ask if it is really necessary to do a musical remake of Footloose??
  • miki likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users