We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Esther Williams

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DougieB

DougieB

I Love Melvin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:48 AM

That would seem right to me. We don't associate her with being a singer. The question is who usually dubbed her?

That's a good question. We've known about Marnie Nixon for years, but I'm sure there were many unheralded singers who were expected by the studios to just sign the contract, do their turn in the recording studio and pick up their check, no questions asked. It seems like a great line of research for someone who could unravel it all. I'm assuming that research doesn't already exit or Terrence wouldn't have to ask this question in the first place. Personally, I don't think it would tarnish the images of major stars to know they were dubbed; it would give long overdue credit to some very talented people unknown to the public. 

• TopBilled, cinemaspeak59 and rayban like this

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces

#2 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:29 PM

I'd say that she was dubbed most of the time.

That would seem right to me. We don't associate her with being a singer. The question is who usually dubbed her?

• DougieB, cinemaspeak59 and rayban like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#3 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:31 PM

I agree with you, Rayban.  Her musicals are like no others.  One thing I've always wondered---did she do her own singing in the movies?

I'd say that she was dubbed most of the time.

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#4 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,374 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:18 PM

I agree with you, Rayban.  Her musicals are like no others.  One thing I've always wondered---did she do her own singing in the movies?

• cinemaspeak59 and rayban like this

#5 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:05 AM

Esther Williams was such a unique film personality - her film musicals are unlike any other film musicals.

They seem to come from another universe.

• TopBilled and cinemaspeak59 like this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#6 Im4movies2

Im4movies2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:55 AM

I brought up Pink because in a recent awards ceremony she hung over the crowd on a rope which turned and she was showered with water. As she spun around dripping wet she sang. How much closer can you get to the old time Esther Williams who was far more talented. Lady Gaga? She is so outrageous she'd do anything!

#7 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:41 PM

You say "swimming" and "movie actress". Exactly one person did and always will fit that classification, and that is Esther Williams. The only other double category which I can think of which fits only one person is "classical piano" and "comedian", which fits only Victor Borge.

#8 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:41 PM

You say "swimming" and "movie actress". Exactly one person did and always will fit that classification, and that is Esther Williams. The only other double category which I can think of which fits only one person is "classical piano" and "comedian", which fits only Victor Borge.

#9 precoder

precoder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:07 PM

I'd say go ahead and give Pink or Lady Gaga a try; have them try to sing underwater, I mean. We might get lucky and they'd drown ...

#10 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:09 AM

Except neither has Esther's body. Or face, for that matter!
  • rayban likes this

#11 Im4movies2

Im4movies2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:18 PM

I wonder. Would a swimming musical go over today? I can only picture Pink or Lady Gaga doing a stunt like swimming and singing in a film.

#12 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:05 PM

Ha ha!

#13 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:33 AM

......especially when she was "singing" underwater.

#14 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:04 AM

The answer is yes and no. In some she did, in others she was dubbed.

#15 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,374 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:59 PM

There have been conflicting opinions on this, and I've been trying to determine what is real. My question is, did Esther Williams do her own singing in her musicals? Thanks to anyone who knows for sure.

Terrence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users