We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

What docs would you like to see on TCM?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:07 AM

I really enjoyed when TCM showed DAVE BRUBECK IN HIS OWN SWEET WAY (2010) a few years ago-it was excellent.

I also think TITLE KING (2008) about Saul Bass would be great to see on TCM. They could show WHY MAN CREATES (1968) as a double feature with it.

What about the fun SEARCHING FOR DEBRA WINGER about today's women's complaint there's no good roles for women outside of sexpots? And the wonderful THE KID STAYS IN THE PICTURE about filmmaker Robert Evans?

They certainly have "classic movies" tie-ins.

Interesting "making of" documentaries that are often part of Criterion sets are also an untapped source for TCM. Although most are a total bore*, sometimes movies with special effects offer interesting behind-the-scenes view on movie making. The often shown POLTERGEIST one TCM shows as a filler comes to mind.

*I understand they are often made for insurance documentation purposes.

And as much as I love THE ARISTOCRATS, it's not suitable for TCM.

#2 DougieB

DougieB

I Love Melvin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:27 AM

At the risk of seeming excessively focused on Marilyn, I'd love to see "Marilyn" (1963). It's essentially a compilation film from Twentieth Century-Fox, released after her death. A suave, cigarette smoking Rock Hudson strolling through a Fox soundstage provides the narration which strings together clips from her films for the studio. (It sort of prefigures the "That's Entertainment" films in this way.) The obvious fault is that some of her major work was for other studios and is not represented, but this film offers an opportunity to see her work in infrequently shown movies for Fox such as "O. Henry's Full House" and "A Ticket to Tomahawk". Also included are major musical numbers. All-in-all, it's a good introductory overview of her career at Fox and a very respectable tribute to her per se. I have no idea of whether or not a good copy exists, since The Fox Movie Channel hasn't ever shown it (to my knowledge). I saw it at the time in a theater and once again on Boston TV's "The Movie Loft" in the 1980's (not a great print). If it's available at all, it would be a good anchor for a block of Marilyn films on TCM.

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces

#3 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:23 PM

I would like to see When the lion Roars repeated.

Is that a documentary on MGM?

#4 ttk

ttk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

In 1973 and 1975, PBS aired a terrific documentary about Stalin that was written and produced for the BBC by Hungarian emigre documentarian Robert Vas (1931-1978). Running 3 hours, it was a very powerful mix of period film (including fascinating and chilling examples of Soviet Stalinist propoganda) and contemporary dramatic readings from British actors Peter Copley, Sebastian Shaw, Lee Montague, Jill Balcon, and Michael Gough, who was the narrator.

If TCM could obtain it from the BBC's archives (a very tall order, I know) it would be a tremendous service to both history and the art of documentary filmmaking to air it. It is one of the best documentaries about Stalin ever made.

#5 HomesoulM

HomesoulM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

I had not seen Sherman's March but,seen his documentary of his ancestor who was beaten in the Tobacco wars by James B.Duke.

#6 DougieB

DougieB

I Love Melvin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

Now that TCM has struck a deal with Fox to show their films, I think "Marilyn Monroe: The Final Days" would be a great documentary to show. The focus is on her relationship to the studio and the filming of "Something's Got To Give", without the controversial murder/suicide/overdose questions, so it would be very appropriate for a channel which focuses on movies and moviemakers. And it ends with a forty minute reconstruction of what "Something's Got To Give" would have looked like, using the available footage. This is significant since for many years the public accepted the story floated by the studio (and Hedda Hopper) that the footage was unusable because Marilyn was so out of it, acting as if "underwater". This was probably a ploy to establish an insurance claim, even though it blackened the name of their biggest star. Anyone who gets a look at this reconstruction will see that Marilyn was stunning in her maturity and very much in the moment. The camera still loved her. This documentary includes an astonishing revelation from studio documents (and not something known to previous biographers, apparently) that the studio itself regretted its action and quietly rehired her just before she died to complete the film, but it was the humiliation of her public firing that has become the history. This fascinating documentary goes a long way in reestablishing Marilyn's tarnished professional reputation.
  • TheGayDivorcee likes this

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces

#7 ValentineXavier

ValentineXavier

I got myself into a situation here that I can't get out of.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:44 AM

Yes, that's a great one, and very funny! I haven't seen it in years.

"Those who would give up essential liberty
to purchase a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty, nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971 

#8 phroso

phroso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:53 AM

How about Ross McElwee's landmark first-person documentary, *SHERMAN'S MARCH?*

#9 HomesoulM

HomesoulM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

I saw the documentary Brother Can You Spare a Dime at the Full-Frame Documentary festival last year and enjoyed it. Wished it can be shown on TCM.

#10 movielover50

movielover50

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

Fragments Jerusalem a 5 hour documentary

#11 aimalac91748

aimalac91748

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:30 PM

"Brother Can You Spare A Dime" a 1975 documentary depicting the great depression...from human tragedy to Hollywood glitter. I seen this many years ago. It was either on TCM or AMC, I can't remember which.

#12 carouselclassic

carouselclassic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:58 AM

Can TCM please show ?Marjoe? ?

#13 ValentineXavier

ValentineXavier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:09 PM

Yeah, I think I saw that one on PBS. But, it is good, and not well-known, so sure, it would be a good one to show.

Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pete Townshend 1971 

#14 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,953 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:42 PM

GREY GARDENS is an interesting one. It has been released by Criterion.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#15 jh33

jh33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:54 PM

Others are fine that talk about the studio system and the people in the business such as the photographers who took the stills of the stars and the men that ran the studios. Its just would be nice to see stories on these women who helped make Hollywood.

#16 ValentineXavier

ValentineXavier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:38 PM

So, jh33, just docs about actors, or are other subjects appropriate on TCM as well?

Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pete Townshend 1971 

#17 jh33

jh33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:05 AM

I would like to documentaries on actresses Ann Sheridan , Kay Francis and Norma Shearer,

#18 patful

patful

Advanced Age

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:21 PM

I've never heard of that one, and I love Russell. Musical and war documentaries hold my interest better than most.

#19 ValentineXavier

ValentineXavier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:16 PM

I'd like to see that one too. Good color film from WWII is fairly rare, and I don't think I've seen that one.

Another Les Blank film I have never seen, but would love to see, is *A Poem is a Naked Person*, shot over a three year period, hanging out with Leon Russell, in Oklahoma, and at his home recording studio. Not available on DVD.

Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pete Townshend 1971 

#20 patful

patful

Advanced Age

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:51 AM

I'm open to anything, preferably older, but none more than *The Fighting Lady* (1944), Edward Steichen's color documentary shot on board the USS Yorktown .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users