We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

SONY Screen Classics By Request

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 mateo107

mateo107

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:45 PM

has anybody been following these? it looks like a lot of new titles have been added to their site but there doesn't seem to be any way to get updates, either by email or facebook, etc.

i just discovered they have Storm Center with Bette Davis and Kim Hunter. i would say take a look and point out anything new that interests you. also send them some feedback that it doesn't really help for them to release new movies if nobody even knows about them.

#62 edgeciff

edgeciff

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:52 PM

Coming in early January:

Assignment: Paris (1952)
Battle of Rogue River (1954)
The Black Dakotas (1954)
The Gun That Won the West (1955)
Jungle Man-Eaters (1954)
The Nevadan (1950)
Paula (1952)
Psyche 59 (1964)
Return to Warbow (1958)
Streets of Ghost Town (1950)
Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams (1973)
The Swordsman (1948)
X, Y and Zee (1972)

#63 TripleHHH

TripleHHH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:40 AM

I ordered 10 Rillington Place - a Region 2 DVD (it was cheaper than the Sony DVDr) it sounded interesting enough
The others of interest Fragment of Fear and the 27th Day I plan to rent from ClassicFlix ..in fact I opened an account with them so I will rent a lot of the studios Archives from here on out if there is a title that Im not sure about
Some titles I suspect I will enjoy very much and get them when they are discounted while the ones I need to be certain if its a 'keeper' I will rent out and give it shot that way

#64 OllieTSB

OllieTSB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:32 PM

TripH, sorry for the tardy delay. 10 RILLINGTON PLACE (1971 with Attenborough as the weasly little bad guy) isn't the first "from killer/stalker's point of view" crime film, and I don't think they did a good job in making it more of a "From Killer's POV". I'm not sure they really wanted to - I've read that it was criticized as a near-tutorial for killers early in it's release. Of course, now those comments are lamentably tame compared to the last 30 years of film "how-to's".

I degrade Attenborough's performance compared to others by him (MORNING DEPARTURE gets my favorite status, and BRIGHTON ROCK is up there, too) but his real-life character seems to have been much like Atten's portrayal - meek, milquotoast-ish, pretty darned weird.

The film's construction of events gets a good recommendation - taking us into the murder-house, then recounting the story, finally recounting the discovery afterwards.

Are you familiar with SOMETHING WILD (1961 with Carroll Baker and Ralph Meeker)? That film upsets me on so many levels, makes me totally uncomfortable watching it - and that's probably part of their good purpose. RILLINGTON PLACE has the same sort of "I feel dirty after seeing this" kind of effect. I want to say, "This is an unpleasant film" as if some films about killers are great and joyful exercises. They shouldn't be. But still, RILLINGTON is unpleasant for me.

It's hard to recommend that kind of experience onto someone, but I can say we bought the Brit DVD years ago and we'll get the Region-1 release soon.

#65 MaisieR

MaisieR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:45 PM

> {quote:title=Edgecliff wrote:}{quote}
> New titles:
>
> 40 Carats (1973)
> Eleanor, First Lady of the World (1982)
> Everything's Ducky (1961)
> Idol on Parade (1959)
> Ladies in Retirement (1941)
> Mark of the Gorilla (1950)
> No Sex Please, We're British (1973)
> Screaming Mimi (1958)
> The Wrong Box (1966)
> The Deadly Affair (1966)

Couple of my favorites on that list.

THE WRONG BOX is a marvelous comedy awash in mid-1960's style Victoriana, with a great cast ? Michael Caine, John Mills, Ralph Richardson, Peter Cook and Dudley Moore. Peter Sellers as a drunken doctor in a room full of cats has only two scenes, but hysterically funny ones. The whole film, though, is stolen by Wilfred Lawson as the oldest, dottiest butler ever.

IDOL ON PARADE marks the first time Anthony Newley sang in a film, playing a pop singer drafted into the army. (His character, Jeep Jackson, specializes in rock-a-billy, which was especially popular in England at that time. Even the Beatles credit Buddy Holly and Gene Vincent as their influences.) Jackson's Irish drill sergent is played by William Bendix and his long-suffering CO is the wonderful Lionel Jeffries. The film's four songs were released on an EP and, much to the surprise of the producers, the ballad, "I've Waited So Long" went to #1 on the UK pop charts and overnight, Newley became a recording artist.

#66 edgeciff

edgeciff

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:17 AM

New titles:

40 Carats (1973)
Eleanor, First Lady of the World (1982)
Everything's Ducky (1961)
Idol on Parade (1959)
Ladies in Retirement (1941)
Mark of the Gorilla (1950)
No Sex Please, We're British (1973)
Screaming Mimi (1958)
The Wrong Box (1966)
The Deadly Affair (1966)

#67 TripleHHH

TripleHHH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:35 PM

The Amazing Mr X was already released twice by VCI
The only ones that might be of interest to me are Fragment of Fear, 10 Billington Place and the 27th Day
None of them I have seen and I am not sure if I want to spend any more $$ on even more obscure titles than Warner Archive..at least with Warner I know my tastes and I rarely buy one I dislike but Sony's titles are all unknown to me

#68 edgeciff

edgeciff

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:37 PM

Classicflix.com is apparently going to make these titles available for rental.

Word has it that FOX will be starting some sort of an MOD release plan beginning January. They have so many titles yet to be released, I hope this is true. I have very little interest in most of the announced upcoming Columbia titles.

Edited by: Edgecliff on Sep 14, 2010 3:40 PM

#69 edgeciff

edgeciff

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:54 PM

In checking the Sony site this 1948 film is indeed the one with Lynn Bari and Turhan Bey since the site shows a clip from the film, but the aspect ratio is entirely wrong. Am confused since I thought this film was originally released by Eagle Lion. From the clip the print looks very good.

As a followup apparently there are some glitches on the site and they will be corrected shortly.

Edited by: Edgecliff on Sep 10, 2010 6:56 PM

Edited by: Edgecliff on Sep 10, 2010 8:38 PM

#70 HarryLong

HarryLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:03 PM

Just made a random selection, which happened to be THE SPIRITUALIST - wanted to check if indeed this was the film aslo known as THE AMAZING MR. X (it is). The aspect ratio is listed as 1.85. For a film made in 1948????

#71 edgeciff

edgeciff

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:16 AM

These Sony titles are also available at Deep Discount DVD for two dollars less than Sony is asking plus no postage.

#72 musicalnovelty

musicalnovelty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,215 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:32 AM

Sony has announced their version of The Warner Archives:

http://www.sonypictu...ics-by-request/

I don't think I've seen this mentioned yet anywhere else here, so this can be a thread for comments, reviews, new release announcements, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users