We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

HORROR MOVIE TRIVIA

• Please log in to reply
1965 replies to this topic

#1 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,059 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:25 AM

Hint #3--Lead actress had worked with directors like King Vidor and Federico Fellini.

#2 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:14 PM

The director of this effort made a quartet of horror films in the early to mid 70's.

#3 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:36 PM

Lawrence--Most heroines don't bear a resemblance to Shirley Temple/Nancy Grace, LOL.

Hint--Campy film has a star who worked with reputable directors before this.

#4 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,368 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:16 PM

Name this horror film.  The heroine makes her appearance in a dated, orange pantsuit, then for dinner in the castle, wears a mini black and white lace dress, with her hair styled so she looks an unfortunate combination of Shirley Temple and Nancy Grace.  She and other females in the film have a habit of almost falling out of their tops.  Name the film, year of release, the star I described, and two other stars in the film.

Sounds like 3/4 of all the Euro-horror movies from the late 60's through the 70's! :lol:

• Swithin likes this

#5 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:41 PM

Name this horror film.  The heroine makes her appearance in a dated, orange pantsuit, then for dinner in the castle, wears a mini black and white lace dress, with her hair styled so she looks an unfortunate combination of Shirley Temple and Nancy Grace.  She and other females in the film have a habit of almost falling out of their tops.  Name the film, year of release, the star I described, and two other stars in the film.

#6 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,653 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:50 PM

Another of the more well-known titles is Dracula vs Frankenstein...yes, another movie using that title!

The Spanish actor is the one and only Paul Naschy, the king of Spanish horror films, who starred in and/or directed over 100 movies. This movie is considered the third film in the Hombre Lobo series, in which Naschy starred as Count Waldemar Daninsky, the werewolf. You should treat yourself and try watching as many as you can! 

I thought of Michael Rennie but couldn't find any relevant film in his IMDB listing. In any case, I can't wait to see this movie!

#7 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,368 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:06 PM

"The film is "The Monsters of Terror" (1970)?  AKA "Assignment Terror" or "Reincarnator"?  The German Sex Symbol is Karin Dor, who appeared in "You Only Live Twice" (1967)?  The English Actor is Michael Rennie, who starred in "The Day The Earth Stood Still" (1951)?  I've no idea who the Spanish actor is--Manuel de Blas??  Series--Hombre Lobo???

Another of the more well-known titles is Dracula vs Frankenstein...yes, another movie using that title!

The Spanish actor is the one and only Paul Naschy, the king of Spanish horror films, who starred in and/or directed over 100 movies. This movie is considered the third film in the Hombre Lobo series, in which Naschy starred as Count Waldemar Daninsky, the werewolf. You should treat yourself and try watching as many as you can! 

los_monstruos_del_terror-941171917-large

Your thread, film lover!

• film lover 293 likes this

#8 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:37 PM

"The film is "The Monsters of Terror" (1970)?  AKA "Assignment Terror" or "Reincarnator"?  The German Sex Symbol is Karin Dor, who appeared in "You Only Live Twice" (1967)?  The English Actor is Michael Rennie, who starred in "The Day The Earth Stood Still" (1951)?  I've no idea who the Spanish actor is--Manuel de Blas??  Series--Hombre Lobo???

• LawrenceA likes this

#9 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,368 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:13 PM

Lawrence--Correct!  The film is on Youtube.

Your thread, Lawrence. :)

I have it on a DVD with The Tomb of Ligeia.

next:  This incredible international production has been released under several titles. The hard-to-believe plot concerns aliens coming to Earth and starting a carnival (!), and stocking it with a werewolf, a vampire and Frankenstein's monster (!!) in an effort to learn why humans are scared of such monsters. The cast includes a Spanish B-movie king, an English actor who appeared in many famous Hollywood features including one of the biggest Sci-Fi movies of all time, and a German sex symbol who appeared in a James Bond film.

Name at least two of the titles, each of the three stars mentioned above, and what film series this is considered a part of.

#10 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:46 PM

Lawrence--Correct!  The film is on Youtube.

Your thread, Lawrence. :)

#11 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,368 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:13 PM

Is this An Evening with Edgar Allan Poe (1970) starring Vincent Price reciting "The Tell-Tale Heart", "The Sphinx", "The Cask of Amontillado" and "The Pit and the Pendulum"?

#12 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:57 PM

Hint--Horror legend starred in a series of films based on the authors' works.

#13 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:03 AM

This little gem starring a horror legend originally aired on television.  Name the film, the actor, the author whose work is read from, and the four stories. Hint--is in color.

#14 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,368 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:14 PM

"Pharaoh's Curse" (1957)?

That's the movie, and yet another I haven't seen. I stumbled across it researching another question.

The whole movie is available on YouTube, though.

Your thread, film lover!

#15 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:51 PM

"Pharaoh's Curse" (1957)?

#16 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,368 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:52 PM

The poster for this rarely-shown movie declared "A Blood-Lusting Mummy that Kills for a Cat-Goddess!"

Name the movie, if you dare. :o

#17 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,653 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:32 PM

Is it The Mad Doctor of Market Street (1942) starring Lionel Atwill and Una Merkel? (I haven't seen this one, either!)

That's the one, a great oldie, rarely seen. I haven't seen it since it was on the old Shock Theatre, probably introduced by Zacherley, in my far-off childhood.

220px-Mad_Doctor_of_Market_Street_poster

Your thread, Lawrence.

• LawrenceA likes this

#18 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,368 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:00 PM

No -- sorry. The horror movie icon in the film is not quite of the stature of Boris/Bela.  

One of the actresses, who would have happily shuffled off to Buffalo a decade earlier, finds herself in a less benign location. "Now were the prisoners of a bunch of savages," she says.

Is it The Mad Doctor of Market Street (1942) starring Lionel Atwill and Una Merkel? (I haven't seen this one, either!)

#19 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,653 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:53 PM

The Ape (1940) with Boris Karloff? (There are a lot of mad scientist movies in the 1940's!)

No -- sorry. The horror movie icon in the film is not quite of the stature of Boris/Bela.  

One of the actresses, who would have happily shuffled off to Buffalo a decade earlier, finds herself in a less benign location. "Now we're the prisoners of a bunch of savages," she says.

#20 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,368 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:32 PM

The Ape (1940) with Boris Karloff? (There are a lot of mad scientist movies in the 1940's!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users