We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

HORROR MOVIE TRIVIA

• Please log in to reply
2090 replies to this topic

#1 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Micklewhite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,340 posts
  • LocationSouff London

Posted Yesterday, 09:50 PM

"Horror House" (1970), starring Frankie Avalon, Jill Haworth, and Dennis Price?

That's the one. It was pretty terrible, if I remember correctly.

HorrorHouse-Poster.jpg?partner=allrovi.c

your thread, film lover!

#2 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,418 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:17 PM

"Horror House" (1970), starring Frankie Avalon, Jill Haworth, and Dennis Price?

#3 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Micklewhite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,340 posts
  • LocationSouff London

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:45 PM

Hint:  the co-star was one part of a popular onscreen boy-girl duo in a series of early 60's films.

#4 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Micklewhite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,340 posts
  • LocationSouff London

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:28 PM

This British film concerns a group of people gathering at a creepy old mansion. It features a seance, murders, and a former teen idol as a co-star.

Name the movie and two cast members.

#5 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,418 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:13 AM

Lawrence--correct on everyone you named.

"Ruby" is set in a drive-in theater.  Piper Laurie stars as an ex-gangsters' moll, whose lover was killed in 1935.  In 1951, she has  rebuilt her life, and owns a drive-in, but strange things, then deaths start occurring.  One of the shocks was when a character went to get a cup of Coke from the concession stand, they got a cup of blood instead.  Turns out the dead gangster is possessing an innocent girl because he's mad at Ruby.  The film was on YouTube, but YT wanted me to join to prove I was old enough to watch it--film had "Inappropriate content". :rolleyes:

The horror actress Allison Hayes made a cameo via a film the drive-in has playing, "The Attack of the 50 Foot Woman" (1958).  The goof with the timetable was widely remarked on in  reviews.

Lawrence, you got the majority of the answers, so it's your thread.

Swithin, thanks for answering.

#6 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Micklewhite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,340 posts
  • LocationSouff London

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:09 PM

Is the other movie Ruby (1977), directed by Curtis Harrington, and co-starring Stuart Whitman and Roger Davis? [I'm unfamiliar with this one]

And Brian DePalma directed Carrie, with Sissy Spacek and Amy Irving co-starring.

#7 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,418 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:03 PM

Swithin--You've correctly named the actress and one of her movies.  Missing are:

One of the two movies I asked the names of;

Both directors and costars:

Final clue--Drive-In Setting.

#8 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,970 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:17 PM

I was thinking of Piper Laurie in Carrie, but the rest doesn't fit.

#9 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Micklewhite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,340 posts
  • LocationSouff London

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:50 PM

A quick summary of what we have so far:

We're looking for an actress who was an ingenue in the 1950's.

Her career was restarted thanks to two horror films.

Both films were helmed by respected directors.

A noteworthy horror film actress appeared in one of the films.

One of the films has blood in a cup.

One of the films suffered enough producer meddling that it was disowned.

One of the films was directed by someone with another film that was on TCM in the last week.

One of the films was released within a decade of 1980.

We also need the titles of the two films, the two directors, and co-stars from each film.

#10 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,418 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:23 PM

Hint #4--A film by one of the two directors I asked about was shown by TCM in the last week.

Swithin-- "Motel Hell" (1980) is within a decade of the film I'm looking for.

#11 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,970 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:14 PM

Really? I've known about it for a long time, since at least the 1980's. But I do tend to spend time in the dodgier cinematic neighborhoods. I recall that the TV cut of Dune was disowned by David Lynch, and was thus made an Alan Smithee film. And then in the 90's there was a movie that was made about the practice, called An Alan Smithee Film: Burn Hollywood Burn, which ironically was disowned by director Arthur Hiller, so it was credited to Smithee (I always thought this was a publicity stunt, though).

If I knew about it, I've forgotten; or, more likely, although as you know I love horror films, I was not a big fan of "modern/contemporary" American movies, during the period that Alan Smithee was in use. I remember Dune but had no desire to think about it; or any of the other films on the Wiki Smithee list. But films like Motel Hell, and other American horror films of that period -- of course no one would want to disown them!

• LawrenceA likes this

#12 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Micklewhite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,340 posts
  • LocationSouff London

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:42 PM

I just checked Wiki as well. I don't recall ever having heard of the Alan Smithee usage. (In any case, I haven't a clue as to this film.)

Really? I've known about it for a long time, since at least the 1980's. But I do tend to spend time in the dodgier cinematic neighborhoods. I recall that the TV cut of Dune was disowned by David Lynch, and was thus made an Alan Smithee film. And then in the 90's there was a movie that was made about the practice, called An Alan Smithee Film: Burn Hollywood Burn, which ironically was disowned by director Arthur Hiller, so it was credited to Smithee (I always thought this was a publicity stunt, though).

#13 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,970 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:35 PM

So it isn't one of the titles on IMDb or Wikipedia? I was actually surprised how few horror titles have used the Smithee pseudonym. I guessed that maybe the credits were incomplete.

I just checked Wiki as well. I don't recall ever having heard of the Alan Smithee usage. (In any case, I haven't a clue as to this film.)

#14 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Micklewhite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,340 posts
  • LocationSouff London

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:09 PM

Lawrence--then IMDB had inaccurate information.  Thanks for telling me, and I'll change hint 3 now.

So it isn't one of the titles on IMDb or Wikipedia? I was actually surprised how few horror titles have used the Smithee pseudonym. I guessed that maybe the credits were incomplete.

#15 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,418 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:45 PM

Lawrence--then IMDB had inaccurate information.  Thanks for telling me, and I'll change hint 3 now.

#16 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Micklewhite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,340 posts
  • LocationSouff London

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:44 PM

Hint #3--Film was damaged by Producers' interference.  The first version aired on television was credited to "Alan Smithee" (a pseudonym used when directors disavow a film/request their names be taken off the credits).

Film? I thought we were looking for an actress.

I'm only half-joking...I looked at the credits for "Alan Smithee" and didn't see anything that I could match up to the other clues.

#17 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,418 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:29 PM

Hint #3--Film was damaged by Producers' interference. 

Edit--Lawrence A corrected a clue.  I deleted wrong information at 7:48 p.m. 5/24/17.

#18 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,418 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:39 PM

Hint #2--Blood in a cup.

#19 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,418 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:23 PM

Hint #1--1950's ingenue.

#20 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,418 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:39 PM

This actresses' career was restarted by her starring in two horror movies, both helmed by fine directors.  Please name this actress, the two films, the movies directors, and two costars from each movie.  For extra points, name the horror film actress who appears in one of these films.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users