We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

HORROR MOVIE TRIVIA

• Please log in to reply
2323 replies to this topic

#1 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,646 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:02 PM

I thought this one was kind of easy.

It was The Dunwich Horror, based on H.P. Lovecraft, and adapted by future Oscar-winner Curtis Hanson.

The cast includes former youth star Sandra Dee, former child-actor and future Oscar nominee Dean Stockwell, Oscar nominees Talia Shire and Sam Jaffe, and Oscar winner Ed Begley.

In the film Ed Begley discusses the Necronomicon, a book that shows up in a lot of horror movies and stories.

Open thread!

#2 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,646 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:11 PM

Hint: The male lead had been a child actor in the 1940s.

#3 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,646 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:19 PM

Hint: The female lead was definitely not known for appearing in horror films. She had been a major young star of her time.

#4 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,646 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:45 PM

Next: This horror tale, inspired by a story from a venerated genre author, featured a script from a future Oscar winner. The cast includes two former youth stars, three Oscar nominees, and one Oscar winner. A book familiar to horror fans is discussed.

Name the film.

Name the author whose work was the basis, and name the future Oscar-winner screenwriter.

Name the 5 performers mentioned above.

Name the book mentioned in the film.

#5 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,646 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:40 PM

Lawrence--Correct!

This movie is on YT, and I think is one of Bava's best.  The list of suspects is long, but dwindles rapidly.  I won't say more in case you haven't seen it.

Your thread, Lawrence. :)

I've seen it. I have it on DVD, as it's on my personal list of the 100 most important horror films of all time. It was one of the format and style-setting movies of the slasher movie subgenre.

It was included in the excellent Mario Bava DVD box sets:

Volume One

bava_collection.jpg

Volume Two

980x.jpg

• film lover 293 likes this

#6 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,047 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:13 PM

Lawrence--Correct!

This movie is on YT, and I think is one of Bava's best.  The list of suspects is long, but dwindles rapidly.  I won't say more in case you haven't seen it.

Your thread, Lawrence. :)

#7 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,646 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:19 AM

Lawrence--correct director.

Hint #3--A body of water.

Bay of Blood aka Twitch of the Death Nerve?

tgtNELlRmnfvpIrBSv2Wekw7wpM.jpgtwitch_of_the_death_nerve.jpg

• film lover 293 likes this

#8 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,047 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:35 AM

Lawrence--correct director.

Hint #3--A body of water.

#9 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,646 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:31 AM

If he's Italian, then I'm guessing it's Mario Bava, but I have no idea which movie you mean.

#10 Tom Morvolo Riddle

Tom Morvolo Riddle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:06 AM

Seems  ;)  really obnoxious. Is it any good?

#11 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,047 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:40 AM

Hint #2--Italian.

#12 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,047 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:44 AM

Hint #1--Director was noted for filling multiple jobs in his films (director, cameraman, etc).

#13 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,047 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:24 PM

The body count goes into double figures in this film that was directed, written, and photographed by the same person.  Name the film and director/writer/cameraperson.

#14 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,646 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:52 AM

"Sleepwalkers" (1992), Stephen King,  Stephen King plays a gravedigger, Tobe Hooper plays a mortuary assistant, and Mark Hamill plays a police lieutenant?

That's the one, film lover! Fellow writer Clive Barker and directors John Landis and Joe Dante also cameo.

You're thread!

movieposter.jpg

#15 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,047 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:32 AM

"Sleepwalkers" (1992), Stephen King,  Stephen King plays a gravedigger, Tobe Hooper plays a mortuary assistant, and Mark Hamill plays a police lieutenant?

#16 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,646 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:20 PM

You are absolutely right! I'm surprised you haven't seen it, it's an interesting, creepy film.  Below, Lon Chaney, Jr.'s great entrance.

I have it to watch soon, finally. It has a terrific cast.

Next: This movie is newer than most in this thread, but still nearly 25 years old. It was the first original screenplay from an oft-adapted author.

Name the movie and the author, and at least 2 noteworthy cameos in the film.

#17 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,648 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:53 PM

I'm not sure if this is right, as this is yet another one that I haven't seen, but is it...

The Black Sleep (1956) starring Basil Rathbone, Akim Tamiroff, John Carradine, Bela Lugosi, Tor Johnson, and Lon Chaney Jr. as Mungo, which is close to Mongo, which I think was the former name of bansi4, the birthday poster?

You are absolutely right! I'm surprised you haven't seen it, it's an interesting, creepy film.  Below, Lon Chaney, Jr.'s great entrance.

black_sleep_poster_02.jpg

• LawrenceA likes this

#18 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,646 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:25 PM

Next: This film is part of the sub genre of mad doctors who behave badly in order to help their ailing wives. One of the characters has a name quite similar to a former name of one of our most venerable posters.

Name the film; the actor who plays the mad doctor; the name referred to above; and the actor playing the role.

For extra credit, name our venerable poster's current name.

I'm not sure if this is right, as this is yet another one that I haven't seen, but is it...

The Black Sleep (1956) starring Basil Rathbone, Akim Tamiroff, John Carradine, Bela Lugosi, Tor Johnson, and Lon Chaney Jr. as Mungo, which is close to Mongo, which I think was the former name of bansi4, the birthday poster?

#19 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,648 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:01 PM

Hint: The movie features an all-star horror cast, including an actor who has a thread dedicated to him in General Discussions.

#20 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,648 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:24 PM

Just checked -- the poster I'm using as a clue is online now.

He's gone offline.

The poster's name actually seems to derive from another movie -- a comedy. But change the second letter, and you get the name of a character in the movie in question.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users