We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Star of the Month History

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Wearing my hip waders.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  • LocationLand of Bread and Circuses

Posted 08 November 2015 - 02:33 PM

Many at this forum has suggested that supporting actors (or character actors),  be featured as part of SOTM.  

I don't support that since to me a 'star' is someone with "before the title" billing;  a leading player.   e.g. if there was a food program called "Entrée of the Month' it shouldn't feature French fries since that is a side dish.  

So instead I wish TCM would have a new series called Supporting Actors of the Month;   This would be similar to SOTM but feature films by supporting actors;  maybe 2 - 4 actor each month (it needs to be more than one actor since there are so many fine supporting actors to feature).

PS:  Peter Lorre was Star of the Month in October 2004.    Lorre was the leading man in many films e.g. the Mr. Moto serial,  but his most famous roles are as a supporting player. 

That's very close to a recent idea I had, "Star of the Week."  The SOTWs can be integrated among SOTM for "filler material" instead of playing NXNW a dozen more times.  That may or may not be a good thing though, as the very rare stuff might get pushed back even further to the bottom of the stack.  So I'l go on record and correct myself any say let's either have SOTM or SOTW, but not both in the same month.  If there were both, then there wouldn't be much time to get to the rarities after they get done showing everything else on their clock.

Moviecollector's Corner                   *Look for what should be there, but isn't.*              Principia-Scientific.org (independent science news)

usdebtclock.org (just some pretty numbers to watch)

#2 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,620 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:13 AM

Not to mention that the same thing could have been said about Clark Gable.

I wouldn't mind that, personally, but I realize they can't be done away with entirely. Their time would have to get cut down considerably to make adequate room for all the foreign and silent film stars who will also never be SOTM, (hah.) It could work the other way, too- Cary Grant and company could get the occasional SUTS day in return for never being SOTM again, (aha!)

I just looked over the recent posts in the thread. It sounds like some of us are slamming Allen Jenkins! LOL I don't mind him.

I do think that some of what you're advocating is actually done with the primetime spotlights. Sometimes they set aside an evening to focus on a foreigh star or a foreign director. They do not do it often, but occasionally. I'd rather have it that way, when we can potentially see a tribute to them any night of the year, not having to wait until next August.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#3 Kay

Kay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:29 PM

I wouldn't say Allen Jenkins played the same character in every film.  e.g.  his role in Dead End as Bogie's gangster buddy was much different than his role in Ball of Fire.    There are other examples.

Not to mention that the same thing could have been said about Clark Gable.

I don't think TCM has a formula that says people who will never be SOTM can instead be featured in August. By your definition above, the heavyweights like Cary Grant and Liz Taylor should only be SOTM so we can make room for the guys like Allen Jenkins.[...]

I wouldn't mind that, personally, but I realize they can't be done away with entirely. Their time would have to get cut down considerably to make adequate room for all the foreign and silent film stars who will also never be SOTM, (hah.) It could work the other way, too- Cary Grant and company could get the occasional SUTS day in return for never being SOTM again, (aha!)

#4 slaytonf

slaytonf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:42 PM

Where is Walter Brennan, Eve Arden, Agnes Moorhead, Jack Carson, Fay Bainter, Billie Burke, Eugene Pallette, James Gleason, Edward Arnold, Peter Lorre, Roland Young, Anne Revere, Selena Royle.

Star means someone who can carry a picture on their own.  None of the actors listed could or did.  A supporting or character actor spotlight would be nice.

Some actors as others have mentioned were both leads and supporting.  Walter Huston was a lead early in his career, and later became an exceptional character actor.  He would be good as a STOM.

#5 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,512 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:49 PM

Whenever this comes up I think the same thing: Not all character actors are created equal. There's a difference between someone like Allen Jenkins, who plays the same character in every film; and someone like Lionel Barrymore, who was a star in his own right. There was such a thing as a star character actor that played large and small parts and many different types of characters. Walter Brennan is one, and so is Basil Rathbone, Dan Duryea, Edward Arnold, Akim Tamiroff, and one George Sanders. To me it's these people that need to be phased in first, (with equal excursions into European and foreign language film stars, as well as silent stars and more recent ones, (Dolores del Rio, Jean Gabin, Dirk Bogarde, etc.)) And SUTS should be for people who won't make SOTM in the foreseeable future, like Allen Jenkins.

That is my vision. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

I wouldn't say Allen Jenkins played the same character in every film.  e.g.  his role in Dead End as Bogie's gangster buddy was much different than his role in Ball of Fire.    There are other examples.

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,620 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:45 PM

Whenever this comes up I think the same thing: Not all character actors are created equal. There's a difference between someone like Allen Jenkins, who plays the same character in every film; and someone like Lionel Barrymore, who was a star in his own right. There was such a thing as a star character actor that played large and small parts and many different types of characters. Walter Brennan is one, and so is Basil Rathbone, Dan Duryea, Edward Arnold, Akim Tamiroff, and one George Sanders. To me it's these people that need to be phased in first, (with equal excursions into European and foreign language film stars, as well as silent stars and more recent ones, (Dolores del Rio, Jean Gabin, Dirk Bogarde, etc.)) And SUTS should be for people who won't make SOTM in the foreseeable future, like Allen Jenkins.

I don't think TCM has a formula that says people who will never be SOTM can instead be featured in August. By your definition above, the heavyweights like Cary Grant and Liz Taylor should only be SOTM so we can make room for the guys like Allen Jenkins. 

I like your idea of a star character actor but even then we are going to have people like Brian Donlevy who starred in many pictures and when he played support he was more of a second lead, not really a character actor. 

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#7 Kay

Kay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:26 PM

[...]A few years ago in August, TCM started including character actors and actresses during Summer Under the Stars. Mary Boland, Thelma Ritter and Hattie McDaniel were all honored. I don't think Hattie was ever even third- or fourth-billed in any movie.

#8 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,620 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:34 PM

Many at this forum has suggested that supporting actors (or character actors),  be featured as part of SOTM.  

I don't support that since to me a 'star' is someone with "before the title" billing;  a leading player.   e.g. if there was a food program called "Entrée of the Month' it shouldn't feature French fries since that is a side dish.  

I like your analogy, it's great...though some performers moved between both categories. Even someone like Bette Davis started out in supporting roles. And what about a star like Burt Reynolds who was the greatest money-making headliner in the 70s, who wound up doing supporting roles in something like BOOGIE NIGHTS.

And then we have people like Charles Coburn and Marjorie Main that were for the most part character actors, but did get above the title billing in many of the B films and modestly budgeted programmers to which they were assigned.

A few years ago in August, TCM started including character actors and actresses during Summer Under the Stars. Mary Boland, Thelma Ritter and Hattie McDaniel were all honored. I don't think Hattie was ever even third- or fourth-billed in any movie.

#9 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,512 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:21 PM

I've reviewed all the Star of the Month listings and there is to this viewer a glaring omission. Too many "character" or supporting actors/actresses are missing from these lists.  Where is Walter Brennan, Eve Arden, Agnes Moorhead, Jack Carson, Fay Bainter, Billie Burke, Eugene Pallette, James Gleason, Edward Arnold, Peter Lorre, Roland Young, Anne Revere, Selena Royle.

Walter Brennan, Eve Arden, Agnes Moorhead, Jack Carson, Billie Burke and Fay Bainter are major glaring omissions. I really think it's time for TCM to recognize these incredible actors/actresses who make the "leads" look good.  Walter Brennan and Eve Arden and Agnes Moorhead's careers are longer than many of the Stars of the Month.  Bring on the character actor and actress as Stars of the Month.

So instead I wish TCM would have a new series called Supporting Actors of the Month;   This would be similar to SOTM but feature films by supporting actors;  maybe 2 - 4 actor each month (it needs to be more than one actor since there are so many fine supporting actors to feature).

PS:  Peter Lorre was Star of the Month in October 2004.    Lorre was the leading man in many films e.g. the Mr. Moto serial,  but his most famous roles are as a supporting player. 

#10 MarshaKatz

MarshaKatz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,372 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:02 PM

I've reviewed all the Star of the Month listings and there is to this viewer a glaring omission. Too many "character" or supporting actors/actresses are missing from these lists.  Where is Walter Brennan, Eve Arden, Agnes Moorhead, Jack Carson, Fay Bainter, Billie Burke, Eugene Pallette, James Gleason, Edward Arnold, Peter Lorre, Roland Young, Anne Revere, Selena Royle.

Walter Brennan, Eve Arden, Agnes Moorhead, Jack Carson, Billie Burke and Fay Bainter are major glaring omissions. I really think it's time for TCM to recognize these incredible actors/actresses who make the "leads" look good.  Walter Brennan and Eve Arden and Agnes Moorhead's careers are longer than many of the Stars of the Month.  Bring on the character actor and actress as Stars of the Month.

#11 Emertiff

Emertiff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:51 PM

Thanks a lot! I appreciate that. I finally have the entire list for my files. I'll only print future updates later on.

#12 lzcutter

lzcutter

Riding Point

• Moderators
  • 12,320 posts
  • LocationCity of the Angels- San Fernando Valley division

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for catching that, I meant to type Paul Henreid, not sure why I typed Muni instead.

I corrected the typo and you should be able to print it out now.
"Movies touch our hearts and awaken our vision, and change the way we see things. They take us to other places, they open doors and minds. Movies are the memories of our life times, we need to keep them alive,"- Marty Scorsese

#13 Emertiff

Emertiff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:06 AM

There is an error concerning SOTM July 2013. I want to print this entire list so I won't have to keep looking back and forth.

#14 lzcutter

lzcutter

Riding Point

• Moderators
  • 12,320 posts
  • LocationCity of the Angels- San Fernando Valley division

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:05 PM

It'll be long but hopefully worth it. Here's what I have:

STAR OF THE MONTH:

May 1994: Greta Garbo
June 1994: Glenn Ford
July 1994: Greer Garson
Aug.1994: Edward G. Robinson
Sept.1994: Barbara Stanwyck
Oct.1994: Angela Lansbury
Nov.1994 John Garfield
Dec.1994: Best of ?94

Jan.1995: Esther Williams
Feb.1995: Ronald Reagan
Mar.1995: TCM Salutes the Oscars
Apr.1995: Doris Day
May 1995: Myrna Loy
June 1995: Errol Flynn
July 1995: Gene Kelly
Aug.1995: Paul Muni
Sept.1995: Jane Powell
Oct.1995: Clark Gable
Nov.1995: Barrymores
Dec.1995: Best of ?95

Jan.1996: Deborah Kerr
Feb.1996: Robert Young
Mar.1996: 31 Days of Oscar
April 1996: Irene Dunne
May 1996: James Stewart
June 1996: Rosalind Russell
July 1996: Fred Astaire
Aug.1996: Ann Sheridan
Sept.1996: Van Johnson
Oct.1996: Kathryn Grayson
Nov.1996: Robert Mitchum
Dec.1996: Best of ?96

Jan.97: Humphrey Bogart
Feb.97: Eleanor Parker
Mar.97: 31 Days of Oscar
Apr.97: Ava Gardner
May 97: George Brent
June 97: June Allyson
July 97: John and Walter Huston (also Director of the Month)
Aug.97: Cary Grant
Sept.97: Ida Lupino
Oct.97: Walter Pidgeon
Nov.97: Katharine Hepburn
Dec.97: Best of ?97

Jan.1998: Lana Turner
Feb.1998: Charlton Heston
Mar.1998:31 Days of Oscar
April 1998: Red Skelton
May 1998: Olivia de Havilland
June 1998: James Cagney
July 1998: Lucille Ball
August 1998: Joan Crawford
Sept.1998: John Wayne
Oct.1998: Cyd Charisse
Nov.1998: Claude Rains
Dec.1998: Best of ?98

Jan.1999: Elizabeth Taylor
Feb.1999: William Powell
March 1999: 31 Days of Oscar (probably)
April 1999: Dennis Morgan
May 1999: Bette Davis
June 1999: Mickey Rooney
July1999: Natalie Wood
August 1999: Peter Sellers
Sept.1999: Norma Shearer
Oct. 1999: Gregory Peck
Nov. 1999: Ginger Rogers
Dec. 1999: Burt Lancaster

Jan. 2000: Debbie Reynolds
Feb. 2000: Robert Ryan
March 2000: 31 Days of Oscars (probably)
April 2000: Spencer Tracy
May 2000: Alexis Smith
June 2000:Wallace Beery
July 2000: Judy Garland
August 2000: film debuts
Sept 2000: Jane Wyman
October 2000: Dick Powell
Nov 2000: Frank Sinatra
Dec. 2000: Lauren Bacall

Jan. 2001: Elvis Presley
Feb.2001: Jean Hagen
March 2001: 31 Days of Oscar (probably)
Apr.2001: Knighted Actors
May 2001: Jean Harlow
June 2001: W.C. Fields
July 2001: Ann Sothern
Aug.2001: James Garner
Sept. 2001: Robert Taylor
Oct. 2001: Lana Turner
Nov.2001: Glenn Ford
Dec.2001: The Marx Brothers

Jan. 2002: Marlene Dietrich
Feb. 2002: Kirk Douglas
March 2002: 31 Days of Oscar
April 2002: Barbara Stanwyck
May 2002: Edward G. Robinson
June 2002: Greta Garbo
July 2002: Sidney Poitier
Aug. 2002: Joan Crawford
Sept. 2002: Van Heflin
Oct. 2002: Final films
Nov. 2002: Shelly Winters
Dec. 2002: Montgomery Clift

Jan. 2003: Doris Day
Feb. 2003: John Garfield
Mar. 2003: 31 Days of Oscar
Apr. 2003: Harold Lloyd
May 2003: Olivia de Havilland
June 2003: TV Actors in Films
July 2003: Lee Marvin
Aug. 2003: 1st Summer Under the Stars (see below)
Sept. 2003: James Mason
Oct. 2003: Boris Karloff
Nov. 2003: Shirley MacLaine
Dec. 2003: David Niven

Jan. 2004: Katherine Hepburn
Feb.2004: 31 Days of Oscar
Mar.2004: Charles Chaplin
Apr. 2004: Judy Garland
May 2004: Greer Garson
June 2004: Cary Grant
July 2004: Stars That Died Before Their Time
Aug.2004: 2nd Summer Under the Stars (see below)
Sept.2004: Myrna Loy
Oct. 2004: Peter Lorre
Nov.2004: Clark Gable
Dec. 2004: James Stewart

Jan.2005: Canadian Actors
Feb. 2005: 31 Days of Oscar
Mar. 2005: Claudette Colbert
Apr. 2005: Errol Flynn
May 2005: Orson Welles
June 2005: Ingrid Bergman
July 2005: Audrey Hepburn
Aug. 2005: 3rd Summer Under the Stars (see below)
Sept.2005: Greta Garbo
Oct.2005: Robert Mitchum
Nov.2005: Joan Fontaine
Dec. 2005: Bing Crosby

Jan. 2006: Robert Montgomery
Feb.2006: 31 Days of Oscar
Mar.2006: Nelson Eddy & Jeanette MacDonald
Apr.2006: Deborah Kerr
May 2006: Bette Davis
June 2006: Anthony Quinn
July 2006: Elizabeth Taylor
Aug.2006: 4th Summer Under the Stars (see below)
Sept.2006: William Holden
Oct.2006: Child Stars
Nov.2006: Lucille Ball
Dec. 2006: Gary Cooper

Jan.2007: Jean Arthur
Feb.2007: 31 Days of Oscar
Mar.2007: Gene Kelly
Apr.2007: Rita Hayworth
May 2007: John Wayne and Katherine Hepburn
June 2007: Ida Lupino
July 2007: Randolph Scott
Aug.2007: 5th Summer Under the Stars (see below)
Sept.2007: A Star is Born (starmaking/breakthrough performances)
Oct.2007: Henry Fonda
Nov.2007: Guest Programmer Month
Dec.2007: Irene Dunne

Jan.2008: James Cagney
Feb.2008: 31 Days of Oscar
Mar.2008: Acting Dynasties
Apr.2008: Hedy Lamarr
May 2008: Frank Sinatra
June 2008: Sophia Loren
July 2008: Rosalind Russell
Aug.2008: 6th annual Summer Under the Stars (see below)
Sept.2008: Kay Francis
Oct.2008: Carole Lombard
Nov.2008: Charles Laughton
Dec. 2008: Joseph Cotton

Jan. 2009: Jack Lemmon
Feb. 2009: 31 Days of Oscar
Mar. 2009: Ronald Reagan
April 2009: Funny Ladies and 15th Anniversary
May 2009: Sean Connery
June 2009: Great Directors
July 2009: Stewart Granger
August 2009: Summer Under the Stars
Sept. 2009: Claude Rains
Oct. 2009: Leslie Caron
Nov. 2009: Grace Kelly
Dec. 2009: Humphrey Bogart

Jan. 2010: ?The Method?
Feb. 2010: 31 Days of Oscar
March 2010: Ginger Rogers
April 2010: Robert Taylor
May 2010: Donna Reed
June 2010: Natalie Wood
July 2010: Gregory Peck
August 2010: SUTS
Sept. 2010: Vivien Leigh
Oct. 2010: Fredric March
Nov. 2010: Ava Gardner
Dec. 2010: Mickey Rooney

Jan. 2011: Peter Sellers
Feb. 2011: 31 Days of Oscar
March 2011: Jean Harlow
April 2011: Ray Milland
May 2011: Esther Williams
June 2011: Jean Simmons
July 2011: Singing Cowboys
August 2011: SUTS
Sept. 2011: Kirk Douglas
October 2011: Buster Keaton
Nov. 2011: Battle of the Blondes
Dec. 2011: William Powell

January 2012: Angela Lansbury
February 2012: 31 Days of Oscar
March 2012: Karl Malden
April 2012: Doris Day/Spring Break
May 2012: Joel McCrea
June 2012: Teen Idols
July 2012: Leslie Howard
August 2012: SUTS
Sept. 2012: Lauren Bacall
October 2012: Spencer Tracy
November 2012: Constance Bennett
December 2012: Barbara Stanwyck

January 2013: Loretta Young
February 2013: 31 Days of Oscar
March 2013: Greer Garson
April 2013: Laurence Olivier
May 2013: Tough Guys
June 2013: Eleanor Parker
July 2013: Paul Henreid
August 2013: SUTS
September 2013: Kim Novak
October 2013: Vincent Price
November 2013: Burt Lancaster
December 2013: Fred Astaire
January 2013: Joan Crawford

Salutes to Directors:

May 1994: George Cukor.
June 1994: Mervyn Leroy.
July 1994: Frank Capra - 11 films.
August 1994: Edward Dmytryk - 12 films.
September 1994: Busby Berkeley - 43 films.
October 1994: Lloyd Bacon - 55 films.
November 1994: Clarence Brown - 36 films.
December 1994: "Best of '94"

January 1995: Victor Sherman - 16 films.
February 1995: Frank Borzage - 19 films.
March 1995: Oscar month.
April 1995: Michael Curtiz - 40 films.
May 1995: Curtis Bernhardt - 15 films.
June 1995: George Sidney - 17 films.
July 1995: William Dieterle - 27 films.
August 1995: W.S. Van Dyke - 40 films.
September 1995: "Kings of the B's" - Edward Cahn, Phil Karlson, William Beaudine,
October 1995: William Wellman - 24 films.
November 1995: John Ford - 12 films.
December 1995: no director salute. "The Best of TCM 1995".

January 1996: "The Continental Touch" - Fritz Lang, Billy Wilder, Ernst Lubitsch, Jean Negulesco.
February 1996: John Sturges - 19 films.
March 1996: Oscar month.
April 1996: Stanley Donen - "more than ten" films, it says.
May 1996: Robert Wise - 20 films.
June 1996: Archie Mayo - 22 films.
July 1996: Sam Wood - 22 films.
August 1996: King Vidor - 14 films.
September 1996: Richard Thorpe - 52 films.
October 1996: Raoul Walsh - 27 films.
November 1996: Stars as Directors: Lionel Barrymore, Ray Milland, Woody Allen, Ida Lupino, Peter Fonda, Orson Welles, Charles Laughton, Marlon Brando, Jerry Lewis, etc.
December 1996: "Best of TCM 1996".
January 1997: S. Sylvan Simon - "more than 19 films". it says.

*Summer Under the Stars:*

SUMMER UNDER THE STARS:
Aug. 2003: James Stewart, Clint Eastwood, Peter O'Toole, Joan Crawford, Fred Astaire, Robert Mitchum, James Cagney, Elizabeth Taylor, Cary Grant, Jack Lemmon, Frank Sinatra, Greta Garbo, Gary Cooper, Charlton Heston, Katherine Hepburn, Steve McQueen, Gene Kelly, Marlene Dietrich, Gregory Peck, Humphrey Bogart, Judy Garland, Clark Gable, John Wayne, Myrna Loy, Kirk Douglas, Lana Turner, Bette Davis, Spencer Tracy, Paul Newman, Doris Day, William Holden.

August 2004: John Wayne, Barbara Stanwyck, Bob Hope, Debbie Reynolds, Sidney Poitier, Lucille Ball, Katherine Hepburn, Clint Eastwood, Ava Gardner, Henry Fonda, Jean Harlow, Laurence Olivier, Doris Day, Humphrey Bogart, Burt Lancaster, Elvis Presley, Elizabeth Taylor, Edward G. Robinson, Bette Davis, Peter Sellers, James Stewart, Olivia de Havilland, Ginger Rogers, Charles Chaplin, Shirley MacLaine, Claudette Colbert, Cary Grant, Gary Cooper, Gregory Peck, Esther Williams, Kirk Douglas.

August 2005: Lauren Bacall, James Cagney, Joel McCrea, Alec Guinness, Katharine Hepburn, John Wayne, Judy Garland, Shelley Winters, Ray Milland, Lena Horne, Kirk Douglas, Jane Wyman, Cary Grant, Glenn Ford, Fred Astaire, Donna Reed, James Garner, Irene Dunne, Marlon Brando, James Stewart, Maureen O'Hara, Joan Crawford, Basil Rathbone, Sophia Loren, Norma Shearer, Randolph Scott, Spencer Tracy, William Holden, Constance Bennett, Deborah Kerr, Humphrey Bogart

August 2006: Angela Lansbury, Groucho Marx, Susan Hayward, Gregory Peck, Humphrey Bogart, Doris Day, Nurt Lancaster, Claire Trevor, Jane Powell, John Garfield, Katherine Hepburn, Rock Hudson, Walter Matthau, Lana Turner, Richard Dix, Joseph Cotten, Carole Lombard, Bela Lugosi, Audrey Hepburn, Lee Marvin, David Niven, Rita Hayworth,Van Johnson, Ann Sothern, James Stewart, Cary Grant, John Wayne, Hedy Lamarr, Ingrid Bergman, Sidney Poitier, Barbara Stanwyck.

August 2007: Elizabeth Taylor, Peter O?Toole, Joan Crawford, William Holden, James Stewart, Robert Mitchum, Jane Russell, Dana Andrews, Myrna Loy, Vincent Price, Doris Day, Alan Ladd, June Allyson, Ernest Borgnine, Joan Bennett, Elvis Presley, Maureen O?Hara, Spencer Tracy, Errol Flynn, Rosalind Russell, Gary Cooper, Ann Miller, Jane Fonda, Ronald Reagan, Broderick Crawford, Kirk Douglas, Loretta Young, Roy Rogers, Mary Astor, Buster Keaton, Sean Connery.

August 2008: Michael Caine, Charlie Chaplin, Gregory Peck, Marie Dressler, Claude Rains, Anne Bancroft, Greta Garbo, James Garner, Fred MacMurray, Doris Day, Richard Widmark, Kim Novak, Peter Lorre, Greer Garson, Rita Hayworth, Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, Jack Palance, Barbara Stanwyck, Edward G. Robinson, Ava Gardner, Trevor Howard, Stan Laurel & Oliver Hardy, Henry Fonda, Ingrid Bergman, Janet Leigh, Tony Curtis, Charlton Heston, Marlon Brando, Katherine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy.

August 2009: Henry Fonda, James Mason, Marion Davies, James Coburn, Harold Lloyd, Judy Garland, Glenn Ford, Bette Davis, Cary Grant, Dirk Bogarde, Audrey Hepburn, Clark Gable, Gloria Grahame, Sidney Poitier, Deborah Kerr, Elvis Presley, Jennifer Jones, John Wayne, Red Skelton, Miriam Hopkins, Gene Hackman, Sterling Hayden, Angela Lansbury, Fredric March, Merle Oberon, Yul Brynner, Ida Lupino, Frank Sinatra, Peter Sellers, Jean Arthur, Claire Bloom

August 2010:
1.) Basil Rathbone, 2.) Julie Christie, 3.) Steve McQueen, 4.) Ethel Barrymore, 5.) Woody Strode, 6.) Ingrid Bergman, 7.) Errol Flynn, 8.) Bob Hope, 9.) Warren Beatty, 10.) Kathryn Grayson, 11.) Walter Matthau, 12.) Norma Shearer, 13.) Robert Ryan, 14.) Gene Tierney, 15.) Margaret O'Brien, 16.) Lauren Bacall, 17.) Robert Stack, 18.) Ann Sheridan, 19.) Walter Pidgeon, 20.) Katharine Hepburn, 21.) Paul Newman, 22.) John Mills, 23.) Elizabeth Taylor, 24.) John Gilbert, 25.) Maureen O'Hara, 26.) Lee Remick, 27.) Olivia de Havilland, 28.) Peter O'Toole, 29.) Henry Fonda, 30.) Thelma Todd, 31.) Clint Eastwood

August 2011:
1- Marlon Brandon
2- Paulette Goddard
3- Bette Davis
4- Ronald Colman
5- John Garfield
6- Lucille Ball
7- Ralph Bellamy
8- Orson Welles
9- Ann Dvorak
10- Shirley MacLaine
11- Ben Johnson
12- Claudette Colbert
13- Jimmy Stewart
14- Charles Laughton
15- Lon Chaney
16- Joanne Woodward
17- Humphrey Bogart
18- Jean Gabin
19- Debbie Reynolds
20- Montgomery Clift
21- Cary Grant
22- Joan Crawford
23- Conrad Veidt
24- Joan Blondell
25- Burt Lancaster
26- Peter Lawford
27- Linda Darnell
28- Carole Lombard
29- Anne Francis
30- Howard Keel

August 2012:
This year's SUTS (first-time honorees are marked with an asterisk):

1. John Wayne
2. Myrna Loy
3. Johnny Weismuller*
4. Marilyn Monroe*
5. Claude Rains
6. Van Heflin*
7. Sidney Poitier
8. Rita Hayworth
9. Toshiro Mifune*
10. Lionel Barrymore*
11. James Mason
12. Ginger Rogers
13. Deborah Kerr
14. James Cagney
15. Lillian Gish*
16. Elvis Presley
17. Katharine Hepburn
18. Freddie Bartholomew*
19. Eva Marie Saint*
20. Anthony Quinn*
21. Kay Francis*
22. Jack Lemmon
23. Gene Kelly
24. Irene Dunne
25. Tyrone Power*
26. Gary Cooper
27. Jeanette MacDonald*
28. Ava Gardner
29. James Caan*
30. Warren William*
31. Ingrid Bergman

August 2013:

1..HUMPHREY BOGART
2..DORIS DAY
3..ALEC GUINNESS
4..MARY BOLAND
5..CHARLTON HESTON
6..JOAN FONTAINE
7..FRED MACMURRAY
8..RAMON NOVARRO
9..STEVE MCQUEEN
10..LANA TURNER
11..HENRY FONDA
12..CATHERINE DENEUVE
13..MICKEY ROONEY
14..BETTE DAVIS
15..GREGORY PECK
16..ANN BLYTH
17..WALLACE BEERY
18..NATALIE WOOD
19..RANDOLPH SCOTT
20..HATTIE MCDANIEL
21..WILLIAM HOLDEN
22.MAGGIE SMITH
23..ELIZABETH TAYLOR
24..CHARLES COBURN
25..CLARK GABLE
26..JEANNE CRAIN
27..MARTIN BALSAM
28..SHIRLEY JONES
29..GLENDA FARRELL
30..KIRK DOUGLAS
31..REX HARRISON
"Movies touch our hearts and awaken our vision, and change the way we see things. They take us to other places, they open doors and minds. Movies are the memories of our life times, we need to keep them alive,"- Marty Scorsese

#15 Emertiff

Emertiff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:32 PM

Can anyone post the UPDATED SOTM (up to January 2014) AND SUTS (up to August 2013) lists please?

#16 sudable

sudable

• TCM_allow
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:56 PM

Oh ! I must be getting blind..Not sure how I missed that !

#17 musicalnovelty

musicalnovelty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,218 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:46 PM

> {quote:title=frankie wrote:}{quote}
> I checked the list out and only see Garbo listed twice May 1994 and Sept 2005. When was she honored for the 3rd time ?

June 2002.

#18 johnbabe

johnbabe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

correction please: Garbo said "I want to be let alone" but she loved her films dearly and thought of them as her legacy - we should enjoy them - give her as Star of the Month - by the by, have you seen her silents? they will make a silent fan out of anyone....and of course the masterpieces i.e. Camille, Anna Karenina, etc. we want to have some realy sophistication in Star of the Month- also, let us have more Crawford and Stanwyck too, and Cary and John Gilbert - you know the great ones!

#19 sudable

sudable

• TCM_allow
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:31 PM

I agree about Joel McCrea, but there are many others that have never been honored such as Loretta Young and Gene Tierney.

I checked the list out and only see Garbo listed twice May 1994 and Sept 2005. When was she honored for the 3rd time ?

#20 ValentineXavier

ValentineXavier

I got myself into a situation here that I can't get out of.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:39 PM

> {quote:title=johnbabe wrote:}{quote}WELL, IF THE LIST IS CORRECT, GARBO HAS NOT BEEN STAR OF THE MONTH FOR 7 YEARS!
>
> IT IS TIME FOR HER RETURN!

She vants to be alone. Can't you heed her wish?

"Those who would give up essential liberty
to purchase a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty, nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users