We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Hal Leroy

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mickeyfender

mickeyfender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 07:32 PM

Hal Leroy's 1937 Vitaphone short UPS AND DOWNS is scheduled to be shown on TCM on December 5, 2016 as part of a whole day and night of Vitaphone shorts (and few related features).

Thanks! Wouldn't dare miss it.

#2 musicalnovelty

musicalnovelty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 07:58 PM

Hal Leroy's 1937 Vitaphone short UPS AND DOWNS is scheduled to be shown on TCM on December 5, 2016 as part of a whole day and night of Vitaphone shorts (and few related features).

• mickeyfender likes this

#3 musicalnovelty

musicalnovelty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:02 AM

Good news Hal Leroy fans!

Hal's 1937 Vitaphone short UPS AND DOWNS is scheduled on TCM on Sunday morning, March 15, 2015 at 7:38 A.M. (eastern time).

This one also features a couple of youngsters on their way up: June Allyson and Phil Silvers. 

#4 mickeyfender

mickeyfender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:58 AM

In keeping with Yancey's list over in the FitzPatrick Traveltalk thread, here's a list of Hal Le Roy shorts that haven't been shown on TCM in years, if ever (titles are from the IMDb):

1. The High School Hoofer (1931)
  2. The Way of All Freshman (1933)
  3. Syncopated City (1934)
  4. In the Spotlight (1935)
  5. Oh, Evaline! (1935)
  6. Wash Your Step (1936)
  7. Swing for Sale (1937)

Hal Le Roy fans would be thrilled if any of these rarely seen shorts were to be aired. How about it, TCM?

#5 mickeyfender

mickeyfender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:05 PM

Looks like TCM's showing a Hal Le Roy that hasn't been played in years -- Wash Your Step, on May 1 at 5:30am -- but only in Canada!

As someone who more than once has requested Wash Your Step on the "Suggest a Movie" page, this is pretty tough to take. I sure hope TCM finds a way to air it here in the States, because it's one of the Hal Le Roys that's not available on dvd.

The TCM shorts programmer's been doing a great job with the Traveltalks and Charley Chase (and other Hal Roach) shorts. Hopefully we''ll be able to see this and other underplayed Hal Le Roys some time soon, like The Way of All Freshmen (1933), In the Spotlight (1935) and Oh! Evaline (1935).

#6 metz44

metz44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:29 PM

(edited out)

Edited by TCMModerator1, 18 April 2014 - 08:15 AM.
Personal attacks on employees and other forum goers are not allowed. Disagreements are fine but keep it civil

#7 metz44

metz44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

just me ...remember you offerd joe cook etc in april
its now august and you keep promising to mail it
i am pretty disgusted cant you at least send me a status message??metz44

#8 musicalnovelty

musicalnovelty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:10 AM

I'm sure you'll enjoy PICTURE PALACE, especially if you liked PRIVATE LESSONS. They both feature the real Dawn O'Day (not Anne Shirley). I'm a big fan of hers...wish she made more films.

By the way, if you hadn't yet noticed, the latest Vitaphone Newsletter is posted.
Go here and then click on Vol. 12 #2.

http://www.vitaphoneproject.com/

#9 mickeyfender

mickeyfender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:42 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to TCM for a job well done in presenting not only Private Lessons, which I hadn't seen on TCM for years, but for airing Mitzi Mayfair's The Policy Girl.

I'm even more excited to see a Hal Le Roy on the schedule that I've never seen at all -- Picture Palace -- this Thursday afternoon.

Well done, TCM, keep the rarities coming! Especially the Vitaphones!

mickeyfender

#10 yvesmary

yvesmary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:29 PM

I've seen most of Hal Leroy's shorts on TCM and always wondered why he never really made it in films.

#11 FrRonald

FrRonald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:43 AM

Thank you kindly for the replies. It would be great to see them all together on a dvd....Maybe,someday........

#12 mickeyfender

mickeyfender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:53 AM

As coincidence would have it, TCM aired Ups and Downs this morning between the showings of Best Foot Forward and I Want to Live. Unfortunately, it wasn't listed on the schedule.

mf

#13 mickeyfender

mickeyfender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:47 PM

Just made a quick check:

Public Jitterbug No. 1 (1939) -- The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle dvd
The Knight Is Young (1938) -- Best Foot Forward dvd
The Prisoner of Swing (1938) -- The Dawn Patrol dvd
Ups and Downs (1937) -- Stage Door dvd
Rhythmitis (1936) -- The Petrified Forest dvd
Main Street Follies (1935) -- Annie Oakley dvd
Use Your Imagination (1933) -- The Little Giant dvd

That's a good group right there. Hope it helps!

mf

#14 mickeyfender

mickeyfender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:17 PM

I'm with you on this one. Mainly because my favorite WB songwriting staffers are well-represented on most of his shorts. But to answer your question, a handful of them are out on various dvds, though I'd love to see them all collected together, like the Joe McDoakes set. The ones that are out on dvd most likely say so in their IMDb listings. You might want to check that out. Good luck in your search.

mf

#15 FrRonald

FrRonald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:48 PM

Would like to see all of the Hal Leroy musical shorts on TCM. Are any of them on dvd?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users