We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Can Anyone Help Me Find This Old Action/Adventure Movie?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nrgrms

nrgrms

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

Prisoner of Zenda?

#2 starlifter71

starlifter71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:49 PM

Perhaps you are thinking of the original Zorro, it had about the best sword fight I ever saw in a movie toward the end, Basil Rathbone fighting Zorro.

#3 curten

curten

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:14 AM

you can watch Gladiator, Troy or 300 awesome movies i must say

#4 JamesH

JamesH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:47 PM

Does this have any similarity to what you saw 40 or so years ago?

#5 FXP

FXP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:56 AM

Thanks again for trying, but the movie I remember was not a comedy and George Hamilton was not in it. I just can't get that sword fight scene with the orchestra playing that Steiner music at or near the end of the film out of my mind. And I can't remember any other details. Frank

#6 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,927 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:30 PM

Steiner's theme from Don Juan was used again in the George Hamilton spoof Zorro, The Gay Blade. Perhaps that's it?

I'm a big boy.

#7 FXP

FXP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:25 PM

Thanks for trying, but it was not Robin Hood. I can still hear that Steiner theme being played by a large orchestra.

Believe me, I've already searched and searched, with no luck. I've even tried going through movie releases by year looking for any title that might suggest a medieval adventure film. I saw many and checked them out, but none were the right one. Hope I wasn't dreaming

Frank

#8 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,927 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:28 PM

Welcome to the boards.

Your second paragraph suggests The Adventures of Robin Hood, with Errol Flynn. However, the music is by Korngold, not Steiner. I suppose upon listening to the scores for The Adventures of Don Juan and Robin Hood, there are some similarities.

I'm a big boy.

#9 FXP

FXP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:11 PM

Sorry, but I don't remember the title or any of the actors (it must be 30 or 40 years since I last saw it on tv - maybe longer). But I do remember two things:

1) there was a dramatic sword duel at or near the end of the movie. And the music played during the duel was that same Max Steiner tune as the main theme in Errol Flynn's "Adventures of Don Juan" (and quite a few other old movies), but played by a full orchestra and much more vibrantly than in other films. You can find this tune at 6:08 minutes into

2) the duel was inside an old castle (or similar place) and during one part of the duel, you could see the shadow(s) of the actors on the wall as the duel proceeded. I remember saying to myself that technique was used in another movie I had just seen. The one I remember was on a wall or doors (like the sequence from that 1937 movie duel between Douglas Fairbanks and Raymond Massey - that is approx 4:44 minutes into that clip), but that movie is missing the music that I so vividly remember

Does anyone have any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users