We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

TCM VAULT/WB ARCHIVES

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 edgeciff

edgeciff

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:58 PM

11/12 RELEASES

*Danny Kaye-The Goldwyn Years* (4 films @ $39.95)
WONDER MAN
UP IN ARMS
KID FROM BROOKLYN
A SONG IS BORN

*Danny Kaye-double feature*
COURT JESTER/FIVE PENNIES

#22 farnsbarns

farnsbarns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:40 PM

More pre-codes - yay!
It's actually Half Naked Truth - an easy typo to make... That one co-stars Lupe Velez and the cast for _Turn_ Back the Clock (1933) includes Mae Clarke, Peggy Shannon and The Three Stooges. Woo woo!

The Stooges have a cameo appearance as wedding singers, I read. This was before they were locked in at Columbia Pictures and I'm anxious to compare this MGM release with Columbia's handling of The Stooges in a similar appearance a year later in Captain Hates The Sea, Nov.1934. They were the ship's band infrequently seen and although musically talented they were dubbed (the instruments - there was no singing), not just that but only Larry even got to speak one or two incidental lines. A waste of talent though the whole movie struck me as that. Possibly a good early indicator of the treatment they'd receive at Columbia.

Edited by: farnSie on Oct 29, 2013 10:06 PM

#23 edgeciff

edgeciff

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

*10/29 RELEASES:*

LEE TRACY FILMS:

Half Naked Truth (1932)
The Nuisance (1933)
Turn Back the Clock (1933)

#24 edgeciff

edgeciff

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

10/8 RELEASES

JUMBO, Doris Day, Stephen Boyd

#25 edgeciff

edgeciff

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:23 PM

I have a copy of WHAT PRICE HOLLYOOD on laserdisc. Curious no DVD as yet Possibly it needs restoration along with BILL OF DIVORCEMENT.

#26 farnsbarns

farnsbarns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:05 PM

Thanks for the 411 - I was hoping someone with specific knowledge about it would reply as I was merely making assumptions in my post.

Edited by: farnsbarns on Oct 3, 2013 9:08 PM

#27 edgeciff

edgeciff

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

Probably the only Selznick film not released on DVD. Don't know what the holdup is.

#28 farnsbarns

farnsbarns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:48 PM

Hi, it's an RKO Radio Pictures film so you picked the right thread here as according to Wikipedia:

Today both Warner Bros. and Turner Entertainment control and distribute the majority of the RKO library in the United States and Canada, although RKO Pictures still retains the copyright.

Sorry I've heard no news on this title but between Fox Cinema Archives and Warner Archive quite a few Loretta Young titles have been released so far. Not sure how often they release RKOs but she took a Best Actress Oscar for the role so you'd think they'd at least be considering The Farmer's Daughter.

Edited by: farnsbarns on Oct 1, 2013 8:12 PM

#29 BingFan

BingFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:47 PM

Does anyone know if WB owns THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER?

If so, has there been any word about it being released? I'd love to have it -- one of my favorite movies from that era.

#30 tterrace

tterrace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

I'm having the same problem with the Columbia Film Noir IV set mentioned in TripleHHH's post; particularly in scenes involving a camera pan, the motion is noticeably jerky. Unlike the person who initiated the Home Theater Forum thread linked in that post, I can't say it makes them unwatchable, but the problem is frequently intrusive. I've also tried different players and also different setting both on the player and my display, and the problem persists. Apparently a mastering error of some sort. The set certainly should be corrected and replacements made.

#31 TripleHHH

TripleHHH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:19 AM

http://www.hometheat...authored-discs/

There appears to be some authoring problems on this set. If anyone gets this from TCM and it is faulty I hope they have a decent return policy.
I saw some fans did order it such as myself and then saw this on th HTF thread and was like "oh no !!"

#32 farnsbarns

farnsbarns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

Sony Film Noir Classics Volume 4 finally shipped - of interest to me for Between Midnight and Dawn with Gale Storm in a supporting role.

#33 edgeciff

edgeciff

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:12 AM

John Ford is getting a TCM Vault release 10/15

A 5-disc set, John Ford - *The Columbia Films Collection, will contain three new-to-DVD titles: The Whole Town's Talking (1935), Gideon of Scotland Yard (1958) and Two Rode Together (1961); and two that were previously released: The Last Hurrah (1958) and The Long Gray Line (1955).*

#34 edgeciff

edgeciff

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:02 AM

August 4: SONY FILM NOIR CLASSICS VOLUME 4

*So Dark the Night* (1946), *Johnny O'Clock* (1947), *Walk a Crooked Mile* (1948), *Between Midnight and Dawn* (1950), *Walk East on Beacon!* (1952)

#35 edgeciff

edgeciff

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

GLENN FORD: UNDERCOVER CRIMES due March 19 from Sony/TCM VAULT

*The Lady in Question* (1940), *Framed* (1947), *The Undercover Man* (1949), *Mr. Soft Touch* (1949), *Convicted* (1950)

#36 Reneerose242000

Reneerose242000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:15 PM

Quick question...are some of the old Paramount releases from the 1930s and 1940s licensed for DVD distribution to the TCM Vault by Universal, since Universal really doesn't market or effectively sell the never released to home video Paramount stuff they're sitting on?

#37 edgeciff

edgeciff

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:33 PM

POST DELETED

Edited by: Edgecliff on Sep 18, 2012 10:39 PM

#38 edgeciff

edgeciff

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

I thought all of the Columbia box sets were pressed DVD's.

#39 calvinnme

calvinnme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:43 AM

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}Coming on 9/4, *Frank Capra: The Early Years* box set.
>
> from digitalbits.com:
>
> "From the press release, the set will
include 're-mastered editions of *Rain or Shine* (1930), and four early collaborations with his legendary leading lady Barbara Stanwyck: *Ladies of Leisure* (1930), *The Miracle Woman* (1931), *Forbidden* (1932) and *The Bitter Tea of General Yen* (1933). The collection also includes extensive on-screen digital bonus materials including production stills, behind-the-scenes photos, lobby cards, movie posters and more.'"
Does anyone know if this set is going to be pressed, at least in the initial run? Because along with the commentaries, I'd certainly consider this a must buy if it is.

#40 edgeciff

edgeciff

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:35 PM

Warner Archives has a 20% off sale on selected DVD's through Labor Day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users