We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Recently watched Noir

• Please log in to reply
534 replies to this topic

#481 misswonderly3

misswonderly3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,219 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:00 AM

> {quote:title=C.Bogle wrote:}{quote}
> There was a story around Hollywood that Hughes put Faith Domergue in
> some little hideaway and forgot she was there. It's probably apocryphal,
> but it does speak to Hughes' relationships with his "protegees." Penny
> Stallings called her Hughes' "celluloid Spruce Goose." :)

Perhaps "protegee" was code for "tart".

"....What is it?"

"The stuff that dreams are made of."

#482 C.Bogle

C.Bogle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:57 PM

There was a story around Hollywood that Hughes put Faith Domergue in
some little hideaway and forgot she was there. It's probably apocryphal,
but it does speak to Hughes' relationships with his "protegees." Penny
Stallings called her Hughes' "celluloid Spruce Goose." :)

#483 cigarjoe

cigarjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:04 PM

*Moonrise* (1948) Director: Frank Borzage with Dane Clark, Gail Russell, Ethel Barrymore, Allyn Joslyn, Rex Ingram, Harry Morgan, Harry Carey Jr, and Lloyd Bridges. A Republic Pictures entry into the dark side, Noir comes to Dog Patch, the hills run black. Actually for a studio set bound film its got its moments. The hanging of the leads father in the rain segues into a crying baby with a shadow of a doll hanging by a cord looming across the crib. A bit crude but effective. One particularly nice sequence is when Dane Clark confronts mute Harry Morgan and bumps a hanging overhead shaded light bulb the subsequent swinging shadows are reminiscent of Ford's Stagecoach and the trading post kerosene lamp in Leone's Once Upon a Time in the West.

Story is essentially, boy grows up (Clark) with taunts from other children about the hanging of his father which continue from bankers son Bridges into adulthood. At a backwoods dance Bridges again taunts Clark, they fight, Bridges picks up rock and hits Clark who wrestles it away and kills Bridges with it. Clark hides body in swamp and rejoins dance and Gail Russell. Clark is haunted by the prospect of having "bad" blood coursing through his veins. Clark is afraid to notify the police and Russell tries to influence him to admit his guilt, but he runs away.

A bit too corn-pone, Clark is not a convincing hillbilly, it drags a bit , but is mildly entertaining, with some interesting characters i.e., the sheriff Allyn Joslyn, and the **** hound handler Houseley Stevenson who are actually more interesting than the leads. Night of the Hunter traveling in the same holler is way better 6.5/10

#484 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:00 PM

Hagen was very versatile. In another noir, NO QUESTIONS ASKED, Hagen played the good girl, while Arlene Dahl played the bad girl. (Not to quibble, but she was 75% Amish and 25% Jewish. That's to say, "ishes" coming out the kazoo.)

#485 misswonderly3

misswonderly3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,219 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:34 AM

I love Jean Hagen - I think she was fabulous in everything she did. She's the floozie with the heart of gold I was alluding to in *Side Street*. (Imagine you knew that.)

But did you know this: It's a little-known fact that Jean Hagen was Amish.

"....What is it?"

#486 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:48 AM

I like SIDE STREET much better than THEY LIVE BY NIGHT, and I think most of my Amish community agrees with me. (I think Jean Hagen does a terrific turn in this film).

Edited by: finance on May 25, 2011 9:48 AM

#487 ValentineXavier

ValentineXavier

I got myself into a situation here that I can't get out of.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:25 AM

Well, one person's anemic is another person's coldblooded. :)

"Those who would give up essential liberty
to purchase a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty, nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971 

#488 misswonderly3

misswonderly3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,219 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:21 PM

"On the other hand"... *Where Danger Lives* was a huge disappointment. Robert Mitchum has got to be one of noir's noirest ( made-up wprd alert ) actors, I'm an ardent fan of Mitch's, plus the great Claude Rains graces this one, although not for very long. With these two in the picture, how can it go wrong? But it does.
It's curiously lacking in energy.Yes, could be that Mitch in a concussed stupor for two thirds of the film contributes to this lassitude, but perhaps with another director or even another story altogether this might have worked. Dominique whatshername doesn't add much - I've heard she was a "protegee" ( aka trollop/tart/floozie) of Howard Hughes, and that's how she got the role.

The entire movie falls flat ( IMHO, of course). Even the little things I usually love about film noir, ie, cigarette smoke, rain, slinkiness, darkness, an uneasy atmosphere that doesn't know whether it's foreboding or anticipation, are either absent or half-hearted in this anemic flick.

"....What is it?"

#489 misswonderly3

misswonderly3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,219 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:03 PM

Some interesting comments lately on this thread, and some sweet noirs reviewed ( is that oxymoronic..."sweet" and "noir" ? )

I own *Side Street*, it's on some noir boxed set I've got (I have quite a few, and I get them mixed up -I can't recall if it's on one of the good ones, or one of the cheapo sets that give you 9 movies or something, but they haven't been cleaned up. But I digress.)
Anyway - I love this film ! It's this kind of movie that makes me love film noir. It's got everything - the innocent sap who digs himself deeper and deeper into trouble the more he tries to extricate himself from it; the uncaring soulless bad guys, both the low life and the high life variety; a bar, appropriately dark and full of street types; a "Mcguffin" (Farley's stolen money/bonds) and a floozie with a heart of gold.
Best of all, it's got that fascinating cinematography, those mean New York Streets, and , as cigarjoe has mentioned, that great overhead shot of the city and all those little cars, looking just like dinky toys in a narrow grey city. The first time I saw this shot, I thought, "This is one of the reasons I love movies ."
Farley and sweet Cathy O'Donnell make almost as touching a couple in *Side Street* as they did in *They Live by Night*.
Altogether, this is a really enjoyable little noir, all the more fun because it's relatively obscure, so it's a pleasant surprise to discover how good it is.

"....What is it?"

#490 kingrat

kingrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,968 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:02 PM

*Side Street* starts out as an imitation *Naked City* with voiceover, etc., but soon enough turns into a noir nightmare. Cigarjoe, excellent comments about the climactic car chase.

If there were truth in advertising, *Crime in the Streets* would be called *Crime on the Set*. It's a Reginald Rose TV play expanded for the movies in the wrong way--that is, by giving us more of the same instead of expanding the focus. It's a crime story that morphs into a problem drama. The ending is definitely not noir. Don Siegel gives us an exciting but not bloody rumble to open the film, then it quickly bogs down. Siegel has trouble staging the personal scenes, such as the ones with John Cassavetes, his mother (Virginia Gregg), and his little brother. A gesture, a prop, a look out of the frame, a cutting rhythm, could improve the earnest dialogue. (Seeing part of Kazan's *Splendor in the Grass* the same day pointed up what these scenes lack.)

However, *Crime in the Streets* can be recommended to fans of John Cassavetes, very intense if too old to play an 18-year-old gang leader, and Sal Mineo, alarmingly pretty as 15-year-old Angelo, called Baby by everyone. Mark Rydell is just alarming as Lou, a psycho gang member with a king-sized crush on Cassavetes. Lou gets turned on by the idea of helping Frankie (Cassavetes) commit murder. Too bad the writing and directing don't match the level of the performers.

#491 cigarjoe

cigarjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:38 AM

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}
> > {quote:title=cigarjoe wrote:}{quote}
> >
> > *Where Danger Lives* (1950) Atmospheric, stylized not a bad Noir though Domergue doesn’t quite gel in the part . 7/10
>
> I can understand why people think that, but I think she worked quite well. She is psychotic. As a psychotic, she is always a little distant, always not quite 'there,' other-directed, and we can't see 'the other.' She may have come across that way because of limited acting skills, but I think it worked, for the part.

I'm willing to give it another shot, like I mentioned so many Noir's back to back in one day seems to blunt their impact.

#492 ValentineXavier

ValentineXavier

I got myself into a situation here that I can't get out of.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:14 PM

> {quote:title=cigarjoe wrote:}{quote}
>
> *Where Danger Lives* (1950) Atmospheric, stylized not a bad Noir though Domergue doesn?t quite gel in the part . 7/10

I can understand why people think that, but I think she worked quite well. She is psychotic. As a psychotic, she is always a little distant, always not quite 'there,' other-directed, and we can't see 'the other.' She may have come across that way because of limited acting skills, but I think it worked, for the part.

"Those who would give up essential liberty
to purchase a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty, nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971 

#493 redriver

redriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 03:30 PM

WHERE DANGER LIVES is not super-duper noir, but I was surprised at how much I liked it. It's unpretentious drama; not too serious. Over before you know it. It's not OUT OF THE PAST, not CAPE FEAR. But it's solid storytelling. It's fun.

I have a couple of videos to watch this weekend. I've seen THE LINE-UP before, but that was years ago. Something called SLIGHTLY SCARLET? I don't how good this one will be, but there's one way to find out. I fell asleep on THE BRIBE a couple of nights ago. I'll tackle it again. The joy of video!

#494 markbeckuaf

markbeckuaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:49 AM

Great reviews of a great day on TCM, Joe!

Of these, I'd not seen two, and still have to see one of them!!! I enjoyed ESCAPE IN THE DESERT, even though it was clearly not up to par of the original film of which it was a remake. But I'd not seen it before and enjoyed it. I have never seen SIDE STREET yet, and need to! Fortunately I have it on a Film Noir Collection from WB, so one day I'll sit down and watch it! I always love Paul Kelly, so I definitely need to see it on that basis plus your great review!

I would disagree with you a bit on THE PETRIFIED FOREST, because I love Leslie Howard so much, all of that part of the film captivated me just fine, and Bogie's appearance just shifts it into another gear, but I loved it all, and would rate it 10/10. I'd also give a 10 spot to THE BIG SLEEP. I guess I don't care too much how they match up with the written form that gave birth to the film, but just relish their energy on-screen. It's a great film!

I agree with you about Faith in WHERE DANGER LIVES, I like the film, but it's...I dunno, not the best of the best. Mitch always fun to watch, but for most of this film he's kind of out of it, and doesn't really bring the energy I'm used to because of it. Or maybe he's just sleepier than usual! :)

You really need to catch HIS KIND OF WOMAN, I really dig it and would rate it a 9 of 10 at least!

Thanks for the great posts!

#495 cigarjoe

cigarjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:23 AM

On TMC yesterday caught most of these or parts but seen most before with one surprize.

*Escape In The Desert* (1945) A remake of The Petrified Forest, Nazi spies infiltrate a hotel in the American Southwest with.Dir: Edward A. Blatt Cast: Jean Sullivan,Philip Dorn, Irene Manning. Edward A. Blatt. Philip Dorn, Helmut Dantine, Jean Sullivan, Alan Hale. Lot of obvious painted backdrop studio shots Never seen before, 5/10

*The Petrified Forest* (1936) D: Archie Mayo. Leslie Howard, Bette Davis, Dick Foran, Humphrey Bogart, Genevieve Tobin, Charley Grapewin, Porter Hall. Drags until Bogart shows up the Leslie Howard/Bette Davis romance is a snoozer. Bogart is Duke Mantee, escaped gangster, who holds writer Howard, dreamer Davis, and others hostage at roadside restaurant in Arizona. Seen parts but never the whole 6/10

*The Killers* (1946) D: Robert Siodmak. Burt Lancaster, Ava Gardner, Edmond O'Brien, Albert Dekker, Sam Levene, Virginia Christine, William Conrad, Charles McGraw. Ex-fighter found murdered, subsequent investigation. Story told in flash back. Great stylized cinematography with outstanding cast, excellent 10/10

*Where Danger Lives* (1950) D: John Farrow. Robert Mitchum, Faith Domergue, Claude Rains, Maureen O'Sullivan. Mitchum falls for suicidal Domergue who leads him on thinking that she is Claude Rains? daughter rather than his young wife. A confrontation leads to a fight with Rains landing blows from a fire place poker on Mitchum?s noggin before Mitchum lands a blow that knocks Rains out. Mitchum suffering from a concussion leaves the living room and Domergue finishes Rains off smothering him with a pillow. She lets Mitchum think that he killed Rains and the two flee towards Mexico Atmospheric, stylized not a bad Noir though Domergue doesn?t quite gel in the part . 7/10

*His Kind Of Woman* (1951 D: John Farrow. Robert Mitchum, Jane Russell, Vincent Price, Tim Holt, Raymond Burr, Charles McGraw, Marjorie Reynolds, Jim Backus. Mitchum blindly goes to Mexico for a payoff of 50 grand, discovers he's the soon-to-be-dead chump whose identity will help deported gangster Burr re-enter the country. Only saw part of it but Vincent Price is a hoot as a ham actor (I?m sure it wasn?t much of a stretch for him) Only caught the beginning and bits and pieces before I had chores to do. This has a huge write up in the Encyclopedia of American Film Noir will have to revist.

*The Big Sleep* (1946) D: Howard Hawks. Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall, John Ridgely, Martha Vickers, Louis Jean Heydt, Regis Toomey, Peggy Knudsen, Dorothy Malone, Bob Steele, Elisha Cook, Jr. Raymond Chandler's first novel; detective Philip Marlowe (Bogart) becomes involved with wealthy Bacall and her uncontrollable little sister Vickers. Its ok but Bogart & Bacall are Bogart & Bacall and not Marlow & Sternwood. Caught this from after the first hour mark to the end, my least favorite Big Screen Marlowe, so far, but I haven?t seen the Brasher Doubloon yet 6.5/10

*Crime in the Streets* (1956) D: Donald Siegel. James Whitmore, John Cassavetes, Sal Mineo, Mark Rydell, Virginia Gregg, Denise Alexander, Will Kuluva, Peter Votrian, Malcolm Atterbury. Draggy drama of angry, alienated youth Cassavetes, who conspires to commit murder. Cassavetes always reminds me of a demented Jerry Lewis, saw just the end of this studio bound film boring, 5/10

*Side Street* (1950) D: Anthony Mann. Farley Granger, Cathy O'Donnell, James Craig, Paul Kelly, Edmon Ryan, Paul Harvey, Jean Hagen, Charles McGraw, Adele Jergens, Harry Bellaver, Whit Bissell. Part-time mailman Granger impulsively stealing $30,000 of blackmail money from a ring led by a crooked lawer, and finding himself caught between the crooks and the cops.

Holy Crap another great NYC Noir that I've never heard of, this one with the benefit of a big budget that Kubrick didn?t have for the ?Killers Kiss?. Great atmospheric location shots juxtaposed with seedy apartment interiors. A highlight is the grand finale cab vs. cop cruiser chase, through the narrow, deserted, Sunday morning streets of lower Manhattan, the high angle overhead shots makes it look like rats running around an elaborate maze, equals the chase in McQueen?s ?Bullitt ? in a different way. 10/10

#496 markbeckuaf

markbeckuaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:15 AM

I love CRY DANGER and haven't seen it in ages! I hope TCM airs it soon, and even better, becomes available on DVD. I miss the Noir sets, and hope WB will continue those with these types of films showing up!

#497 fredbaetz

fredbaetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts
  • LocationWashington state

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:04 PM

And as long as Billy Wilder hadn't cast Ruby Keeler as Phyllis Dietrichson.......

#498 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:41 PM

I wasn't aware that Kubrick had done a noir prior to THE KILLING.

#499 redriver

redriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:55 PM

Wow! CRY DANGER sounds wonderful. I did some time in a trailer park myself!

To fredbaetz,

Powell would have been fine as Walter Neff. As long as he didn't sing!

Edited by: redriver on May 13, 2011 2:55 PM

#500 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:28 PM

I watched Dr Clitterhouse yesterday, very funny movie. I like it when Bogie says the name Dr. Clitterhouse and also tries to put him in the deep freeze. Dr. Clitterhouse tells him that the cold would have kept him alive longer, and Bogie bought it.

Things are never so bad they can't be made worse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users