We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Recently watched Noir

• Please log in to reply
532 replies to this topic

#521 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:07 PM

I should love PUSHOVER. DOUBLE INDEMNITY and REAR WINDOW are 2 of my 3 favorite all-time films. (I DO like it, but don't love it.)

#522 cigarjoe

cigarjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:02 AM

I have Pushover & The Brothers Rico in a box set also, I agree Pushover is trying to ride "Double Indemnity's" coattails with an additional nod to "Rear Window" in the mix. Not bad and Kim is great eye candy.

#523 ValentineXavier

ValentineXavier

I got myself into a situation here that I can't get out of.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:17 AM

Updated to 'just the fax, mam...'

Seriously, I had a philosophy prof., who was fond of tweaking students' for their arguments by saying "just the facts, mam..."

"Those who would give up essential liberty
to purchase a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty, nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971 

#524 fredbaetz

fredbaetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts
  • LocationWashington state

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:39 AM

It was a treat seeing Jack Webb and Harry Morgan playing hoods in "Appointment with Danger" a few years before they appeared as Sgt. Joe Friday and Det. Bill Gannon in the "Dragnet" shows...."Just the facts ma'am"...

Edited by: fredbaetz on Apr 24, 2011 2:40 AM

#525 ValentineXavier

ValentineXavier

I got myself into a situation here that I can't get out of.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:50 PM

He could watch *Concrete Jungle*. It's rather good.

"Those who would give up essential liberty
to purchase a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty, nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971 

#526 redriver

redriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 03:50 PM

I love stories like that. Never heard of this one. A friend of mine just watched ASPHALT JUNGLE for the first time. Wow! It's apt to be a long time before he matches that experience.

#527 cigarjoe

cigarjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:03 AM

*Sleep, My Love* (1948) Directed by Douglas Sirk with, Claudette Colbert, Robert Cummings, Don Ameche, Rita Johnson, George Coulouris, Queenie Smith, Ralph Morgan, Raymond Burr, and va-va-va-voom, Hazel Brooks.

Colbert wakes up on a Boston bound train with no knowledge of how she got there.

This film has almost the same premise as "Gaslight". Ameche, married to wealthy Colbert living on Sutton Place, NYC, is trying to drive her insane in order to get her out of the way so that he can access her fortune and replace her with Hazel Brooks. Coulouris is a portrait photographer posing as a psychiatrist in in cahoots with Ameche. Brooks who makes a very impressive entrance wearing a see through robe and a very skimpy outfit is Coulouris' models and Ameche's Femme Fatale. Cummings is the friend of one of Colbert's high society gal pals, who hits it off with Colbert on a plane flight from Boston and takes it upon himself to find out the truth.

I like this way better than "Gaslight". It was all shot in studio so it has some nice stylized noir sequences, I especially like the seedy pseudo NYC neighborhood where Coulouris has his shop off of an El stop, the photographer studio set, and the final denouement on the four story stairwell. This film also has an unexpected sequence of a peek at a delightful Chinese wedding, cool. Raymond Burr plays a Police Lieutenant investigating Colbert's disappearance.

Only complaints neither Burr or Brooks were showcased enough. Entertaining 7/10

#528 redriver

redriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:50 PM

I posted this on another thread, but I'd like to include it here.

THE PUSHOVER is pretty good. It's a lazy film. Keeping its standards moderate, but achieving them nicely. Standard crime and corruption drama, borrowing heavily from DOUBLE INDEMNITY. One must wonder if the casting of MacMurray was dictated by that comparison. The Kim Novak character is no Phyllis Dietrichson, and Novak is no Barbara Stanwyck. Despite these shortcomings, I enjoyed the film.

It's a good story, told in a straightforward way. No frills. But plenty of fun. The plot feeds off itself, becoming increasingly more exciting. Not a classic, but I was never bored. In the long run, that's the test.

I also watched THE BROTHERS RICO, with Richard Conte. (And James Darren?) Again, not a great noir. But worth watching.

#529 C.Bogle

C.Bogle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:08 PM

Well, it's hard to go totally wrong when Jean and Jeanne are in the same movie.
This is a remake of I Wake Up Screaming starring Betty Grable, but I haven't
seen that one in such a long time that I wouldn't make a comparison. It's pretty
good overall, certainly entertaining. Boone does stand out as the obsessive cop
who loves Vicki, and there's enough sleazy locales to keep it interesting.

Around the same time as Vicki, Jeanne Crain was in Dangerous Crossing,
which is set aboard a cruise ship. It's more of a what exactly is going on here
mystery than a noir, but it's still worth watching.

#530 cigarjoe

cigarjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:42 PM

*Vicki* (1953) director Harry Horner, with Jeanne Crain, Jean Peters, Elliott Reid, Richard Boone, Max Showalter, Larry Evans, Alexander D'Arcy, Carl Betz, and Aaron Spelling.

[Vicki (1953)|http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046515/]

Opening sequence, a shot of Times Square with one of the giant billboards plastered with a stories high image of New York "super" model Vicki. Cut to a seedy tenant hotel a sheet covered body wheeled out to an ambulance, a toe tag reads Vicki Lynn. Cut to Jersey Shore resort, Richard Boone, NYPD homicide detective, gets out of a taxi looking tired and in need of a vacation, he checks in and is about to go up to his room when he spots the headlines "Vicki Killed". He immediately goes ballistic and phones NY demanding to be put on the case.

Jean Peters a cute waitress working the late night shift at a typical NYC late night dinner is discovered by a Publicity Agent & Society Columnist, they proceed to make her over into the next "super" model. She becomes an overnight sensation much to the concern of her sister played by Jean Crain and gradually becomes ruthlessly ambitious.

Boone goes on an incensed investigation of Elliot Reid the Publicity Agent attempting to railroad the case upon him. This is more of a acting ensemble noir rather than visual noir focusing on relationships, and it lacks much of the stylized noir cinematography or great set pieces that I relish. Regardless if you are a Richard Boone fan you'll enjoy his portrayal of an obsessed cop. Peters is good but I still like her better in "Pickup On South Street". All the characters in this film are revealed to be corrupt to some extent. 7/10

#531 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:44 PM

I thought I knew noir, and I'm not familiar with either film.

#532 cigarjoe

cigarjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:39 PM

A Heads up, forgot to mention these are available on streaming video from Netflix along with quite a few other noirs.

#533 cigarjoe

cigarjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:38 AM

Appointment with Danger (1951) Director, Lewis Allen with Alan Ladd, Phyllis Calvert, Paul Steward, Jan Sterling, Jack Webb, Stacy Harris, Harry Morgan, David Wolfe, Dan Riss, Geraldine Wall, and George J. Lewis.

Great opening sequence of a body disposal in the pouring rain I was hooked from the get go. Also some nice railroad/railyard footage and industrial landscapes of Gary Indiana steel mills.

Alan Ladd is Al Goddard, a USPS special investigator sent to Gary, Ind., to solve a postal detective's murder. A young nun Sister Augustine (Phyllis Calvert) is the sole witness. With her aid Ladd learns the identity of the men and uncovers the gang's plot to pull off a million-dollar mail heist. Jan Sterling plays gang leaders floozy jazz loving girlfriend Dodie La Verne. Jack Webb plays a loose cannon creep and Harry Morgan a slow witted goon. Very enjoyable 8/10.

Down Three Dark Streets (1954) directed by Arnold Laven with Broderick Crawford, Ruth Roman, Martha Hyer, Marisa Pavan, Max Showalter (Niagara), Kenneth Tobey, Gene Reynolds, and William Johnstone.

Sort of a police procedural, quasi-documentary, stars Broderick Crawford as FBI Agent John Ripley.When fellow G-man Zack Stewart is murdered, Ripley takes over the trio of cases Stewart had been working on assuming one of them will reveal his killer. This one is also entertaining but its a bit fuzzy in logic with the motives of the actual murderer the connection of why he killed the FBI man and his girlfriend? or whatever she was is never connected. Martha Hyer is a cute mobsters girlfriend.

It does have some great location shots of LA and the streetcar system and ends up with a great set piece at the base of the iconic HOLLYWOOD sign.

Entertaining, but the lack of plot connection explained above drops this to a 7/10
  • TheGayDivorcee likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users