We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Clips of your favorite scenes

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#141 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

Adjunct Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationCarrollton Texas

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:40 PM

Excellent selections, Fred. Thank you, sir. I always enjoy and learn from anything you have to say.

PT, I swear I thought about posting Irene's pic from TAT in the "favorite dresses" thread. Her character in that scene is beautifully played. And she appeals to the male Chauvinist Pygmalion within me. How I'd like to have met her.

#142 pturman

pturman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:33 PM

Excellent!! You've got'em coming & going, Fred! (ha ha). Now you need to find an ending with somebody exiting stage left followed by somebody exiting stage right!

Okay, I'm posting a scene from "The Awful Truth." In this scene, Irene Dunne, Cary Grant's soon-to-be ex-wife, wants to win Carry back. Only problem is Cary has a well-to-do girlfriend that Irene wants to get rid of. Solution? Irene crashes a party of rich girlfriend's family. Irene pretends to be Carry's hick, dimwitted sister--all for the purpose of embarassing Carry so that rich girlfriend & family won't want to have anything more to do with him. This is one of those underrated masterpieces, folks. Right up there with "Bringing Up Baby."

Edited by: pturman on Aug 20, 2011 8:48 AM

#143 FredCDobbs

FredCDobbs

Show me your badges!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,506 posts
  • LocationTampico. What a town.

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:33 PM

Great final scene, The Third Man:

Say buddy, will you stake a fellow American to a meal?

#144 FredCDobbs

FredCDobbs

Show me your badges!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,506 posts
  • LocationTampico. What a town.

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:28 PM

Great final scene, Fugitive from a Chain Gang:

Say buddy, will you stake a fellow American to a meal?

#145 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

Adjunct Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:40 PM

That was a pretty good performance for a child. I hope they didn't tell her that her puppy died or something. For juvenile performances, I remember being very impressed with Bobs Watson in "On Borrowed Time."

And I hadn't seen the "Much Ado" scene since it opened. Good one.

Here's one I'd like very much to see on a big screen. And I mean a BIG screen. It was shot in 70 mm.

Kenneth Branagh again, this time in "Hamlet," advising Kate Winslet as Ophelia

#146 casablancalover

casablancalover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:28 PM

Margaret O'Brien was the best 4 year old EVER!

This is one of my favorite movie Intros.. From a fanfare, to the action-packed delightful opening credits, starts this very talky Shakespeare comedy.. I love it all!

Here's the beginning:

h5. Much Ado About Nothing

#147 pturman

pturman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:27 PM

Yeah, LuckyDan, very powerful scene from a very powerful actor in a very powerful movie. Clift was always my favorite film actor. In Judgement at Nuremberg, he doesn't play a mentally challenged person the way every other actor did or does--as a stereotype. Same in From Here to Eternity: Compare Burt Lancaster's stereotypical drunk with Clifts' in the scene where they sit in the road. Clift plays it the way most drunks truly behave: they try to act like they're not drunk.

And now (drum roll please) . . . THE BEST CHILD STAR EVER!!!!!!!

#148 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

Adjunct Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:44 PM

Oh, that Willet Creek. I didn't make the connection to *Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.* Good scene. (To skip right to it, it starts at 9:50 or so.) Everyone needs a Capra heroine in their life, in one form or another.

Here is Montgomery Clift on the stand in *Judgement in Nuremberg,* with Max Schell. This can be a tough one to watch sometimes but Clift is very compelling.

#149 casablancalover

casablancalover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:46 PM

Today, I heard a story about some new road projects in our state, and the first thing I thought, when I heard the details of what was being arranged, was "Willet Creek".

Jeff is deserted by he thinks is everyone in DC. But Saunders hasn't deserted him. She is back with encouragement.

The best part, for me, of this longer clip is what Saunders says to the discouraged Jeff..

Edited by: casablancalover on Aug 6, 2011 8:48 PM

#150 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

Adjunct Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:50 AM

From The Godfather. Michael Corleone renounces Satan.

(It seemed so real at the time. Now, I notice how Alex Rocco takes one in the eye and sort of just lays his head down to sleep. How movies have changed. And changed. And changed.)

Oh. Yeah. Spolier.

Edited by: LuckyDan on Jul 31, 2011 1:53 AM

#151 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

Adjunct Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:40 AM

>Great idea for a thread, LuckyDan. You know, Jimmy Stewart said movies were made of moments, moments in time. And this moment, "where I turn & look at the girl", as Jimmy says, is one of my all time favorites

Thank you for joining in, PT. Great Jimmy quote. I hadn't heard that one

I'm not a fan of Vertigo but I watched your clip, since you enjoy it so much. Were Jimmy's eyes blue and I never noticed? or was it just Hitchcock's "ghost" lighting that made them seem that way? Very eery.

I hope you'll post more.

#152 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

Adjunct Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:33 AM

>BB is so lovely, I agree. Her first partner looked like Jon Lovitz! What a delightful mis-match.

Lovitz! Love it. God wouldn' that be hilarious. You're right.

#153 casablancalover

casablancalover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:43 AM

Field of Dreams:

Edited by: casablancalover on Jul 30, 2011 8:47 AM

#154 pturman

pturman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:54 PM

Great idea for a thread, LuckyDan. You know, Jimmy Stewart said movies were made of moments, moments in time. And this moment, "where I turn & look at the girl", as Jimmy says, is one of my all time favorites. I also think it's apropo since someone earlier posted a scene from Obsession--Brian DePalma's homage to Hitchock in general & this film in particular.

#155 casablancalover

casablancalover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:43 PM

Would you like to dance?

BB is so lovely, I agree. Her first partner looked like Jon Lovitz! What a delightful mis-match.

It looked like a light mystery. I have just started French, so they will need to speak slower for me, lol.

Keep them coming..

#156 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

Adjunct Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:57 PM

You beat me to the hands scene in The More The Merrier. I first saw that scene I think in the documentary on Mr. Stevens. Couldn't wait to see the movie after that. Excellent. Joel McCrea is a big favorite of mine. And isn't Jean dressed fetchingly in this one?

Here's a fun one from Voulez-vous danser avec moi? (or Come Dance with Me) a little comedic-crime movie featuring Brigitte Bardot applying for a job as dance instructor.

No subtitles, and I haven't clue what they're saying, but it's still a fun, colorful scene. And Bebe. Was it possible I wonder to be in the same room with her and not fall in love?

Edited by: LuckyDan on Jul 26, 2011 11:09 PM

#157 casablancalover

casablancalover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:27 PM

One more tonight from The More the Merrier

-just the exchange of wrong names gets me laughing..

#158 casablancalover

casablancalover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:26 PM

Perfection! Ewell playing that piano makes me laugh every time! I get goose-pimply all over too! LOL

Another love scene I really adore. Watch Joel McCrea's hands..

#159 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

Adjunct Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:51 AM

I'l have to tell you the "wild strawberry" story sometime, CBL. Till then, here's a favorite from The Seven Year Itch, featuring Rachmaninoff

The Second Piano Concerto. Never misses!

#160 casablancalover

casablancalover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:58 PM

In a discussion in another thread it inspired this favorite scene of mine. I think of it every time I want to paint a room..

h5. I write this from my office, which is painted white; not a cold, hospital, antiseptic white. It's warmer, but still doesn't suggest any other color but white...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users