We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Any Cornell Woolrich Fans Here?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 joemarcus

joemarcus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:26 AM

"The Bride Wore Black" was a great French film with Jeanne Moreau.  I think I read the novel it was based on but it was many years ago and I can't remember much about it.  But I love Woolrich's writing.  He reminds me a little of early Clive Barker.

#2 cigarjoe

cigarjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:27 AM

I've seen The Chase albeit in a many times copied  avi file. It's quite bizarre, though I've never read the original story.

There are still quite a few Woolrich stories out there that could be filmed, though I think they'd best work as period pieces rather than updates. A couple of my favorites are (and I'm not sure if I'm getting the titles right) Murder in the Air (which took place on an El and an adjoining apartment, and Murder in the Automat, which takes place in a Horn & Hardart Automat. Another is one where a milkman and his horse feature prominently in solving a kidnapping, and another involves a jazz band, marijuana, and murder.

#3 fairmn

fairmn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 12:56 AM

The Chase is my all-time sleeper fave, bar none, mainly for what was added by film script to the building blocks provided the source novel,  Black Path of Fear.  The film's expressionistic lighting in the Havana scenes is a plus too.  Most films based on Woolrich stories used the novels as a starting point, and they're hardly ever filmed as-is, or (like most novels) simplified.  Woolrich stories have mood in spades and basic plots that lend themselves toward storyboards.  The writing is rather turgid and lacks the wit and sarcasm of Chandler's snappy dialogue.  It's not Cain or Hammett or Ross MacDonald either, but that's a high standard to meet. I'd certainly like The Chase to be remade with an another layer of complexity added,  Since hardly anyone extant has seen the movie or read the original  book, tomorrow's adapter will look like a genius. 

• cigarjoe likes this

#4 MisterSable

MisterSable

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canada

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:36 AM

I've made a playlist of the ones available on Youtube.

There was one directed by Tom Cruise that everyone wants to forget, so that's not available.

Dan Hedaya is in about four of the stories! But he really suits the style.

#5 cigarjoe

cigarjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 28 May 2016 - 04:54 AM

The Showtime series "Fallen Angels" filmed a lot of Woolrich's stories.  I enjoyed them all - that's what introduced me to his work.

Haven't caught that yet thanks for the heads up.

#6 MisterSable

MisterSable

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canada

Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:30 PM

The Showtime series "Fallen Angels" filmed a lot of Woolrich's stories.  I enjoyed them all - that's what introduced me to his work.

#7 cigarjoe

cigarjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:15 PM

Night & Fear was great and just finnished Nightwebs, which has a nice checklist of all of Woolrich's work and screen adaptations in total 23, noirs in bold.

Children of the Ritz (1929)
Manhattan love Song (1934)
Convicted (1938)
*Street Of Chance* (1942)
*The Leopard Man* (1943)
*The Phantom Lady* (1944)
Mark Of The Whistler (1944)
*Deadline At Dawn* (1946)
*The Balck Angel* (1946)
*The Chase* (1946)
*Fall Guy* (1947)
*Fear In The Night* (1947)
*The Guilty* (1947)
*I Wouldn't Be In Your Shoes* (1948)
Return of the Whistler (1948)
*Night Has A Thousand Eyes* (1948)
*The Window* (1949)
*No Man Of Her Own* (1950)
Rear Window (1954)
*Nightmare* (1956)
The Boy Cried Murder (1966)
La Mariee Etait en Noir (The Bride Wore Black) (1967)
La Sirene du Mississippi (Mississippi Mermaid) (1969)

#8 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,336 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:26 PM

IMHO one of the most intriguing projects that didn't come to fruition from Hollywood's Golden Era, would have been 20th Century Fox' filming of Woolrich's WALTZ INTO DARKNESS. It was on their 1949 docket of films to be produced, and was to have featured Linda Darnell and Cornel Wilde. Could have given both Linda and Cornel meaty roles in this interesting 19th Century tale (not Noir strictly speaking, but would have definitely had noirish elements I'm sure). Too bad it never happened.

#9 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:40 PM

More head-scratching titles.

#10 ChiO

ChiO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:34 AM

Some other noirs, not mentioned below, based on Woolrich stories:

*The Leopard Man*
*The Mark of the Whistler*
*Fear in the Night*
*The Return of the Whistler*
*The Bride Wore Black*
*Martha*

Beyond reading his stories and watching the movies based on them, I recommend reading Cornell Woolrich: First You Dream, Then You Die, a biography by Francis M. Nevins. His life is just as noir as his writings.

#11 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:32 AM

...and I guess that's why the mention of Cornell Woolrich's name causes many people to scratch their heads.

#12 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,804 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:30 PM

I agree that the noir movies made from Wollrich's work are not very well known.

The noir film Chandler was involved with are very well known; The Big Sleep, The Blue Dahlia (screenplay), Double Indmnity (co-screenplay), Farewell My Lovely, Lady In The Lake, Murder My Sweet, Stranger on a Train (co-screenplay),

So if there is a father I would say it is Chandler.

#13 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:15 AM

...and only PHANTOM LADY and THE WINDOW are well-known.

#14 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,804 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:52 PM

Again my source is Film Noir (Silver Ward);

Black Angel, The Chase (based on The Black Path of Fear), Deadline At Dawn, Fall Guy, The Guilty, (based on 2 Men in a Furnished Room), I Wouldn't Be in Your Shoes, Night Has a Thousand Eyes, NightMare, Phantom Lady, Street of Chance (based on The Black Curtain), and THe Window.

Most of these movies are low budget ones with less known actors. Only Night Has a Thousand Eyes has major stars like EG Robinson and Gail Russell.

Man you are making we work today!@

#15 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:02 PM

Name some of his noirs.

#16 Ascotrudgeracer

Ascotrudgeracer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:18 AM

Seem to remember some wag saying the great author lived with his mother for way too long; they had a sparse flat somewhere in NYC with her as a shrike who would hover over him at his typewriter making sure all those pulp mag deadlines were in the mail EARLY!

#17 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,804 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:05 PM

Well based on a quick check of the appendix from the book Film Noir (Ward Silver), Woolrich has the most movie writer credits (11).

Second to him would be Raymond Chandler with 10.

#18 EveCairo

EveCairo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:39 AM

Yes! I really like his stories but the movies made from them are really great. Whether he was writing as himself or William Irish the movies some of the best directors made from his stories are so dark and fantastic. Hitchcock for "Rear Window" and others, Truffaut for "Mississippi Mermaid", "No Man of Her Own" from the wonderfully named short story I Married a Dead Man, "Phantom Lady", and on and on.

#19 cigarjoe

cigarjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:02 AM

I Have "Night & Fear" sitting on the shelf but haven't read it yet :)

#20 Ascotrudgeracer

Ascotrudgeracer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:34 AM

I consider him the Father of American Noir.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users