We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Palm Beach Story or I love you to death

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationAlphaville

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:32 AM

PALM BEACH STORY is hilarious, and for my money it's stolen by Mary Astor and Rudy Vallee.

As for Claudette Colbert's looks: I've never seen a more alluring Cleopatra -- and that includes Elizabeth Taylor.

#2 Mr_Blandings

Mr_Blandings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:50 AM

> {quote:title=theoldieslover wrote:}{quote}My favorite classic romantic comedy was Palm Beach Story with Claudette Colbert. ... I like Palm Beach Story because it's just really cute. But then, I have loved all of Claudette Colbert movies. I love the movies she did when she was in her 20's and I loved the movies she did when she was in her 50's. And, you notice she always looked so young. When she was 35; she looked 20. When she was 45; she looked 30. When she was 55; she looked about 38!!! So, she could portray someone older with make-up or she could still play someone young.
Claudette is a favorite of mine as well, theoldieslover. Well -- since I've seen about three-quarters of her 63 films so far (and that's the most films I've seen of any other single actor), and I own more movies by her than any other actor as well -- I guess you could say that she is my number one favorite. :)

And I agree--she always looked younger than she was. She could be adorable--with that round face, large eyes, and button nose of hers--but she was also incredibly sexy. Likewise, her personality was a mix of both earthy and classy. While I think Claudette looked her most attractive pre-1944, she always maintained a good figure and aged gracefully throughout her later years. After she retired from film, she was doing Broadway plays at age 60 playing characters who were 40. I don't know why she was so averse to being photographed on her right side of her face--I think she's just as beautiful from that side--but I guess every actor has their insecurities. And considering that their faces appear on two-storey high screens, I suppose that's understandable.

If you're a fan of hers, I recommend the book "Claudette Colbert: She Walked In Beauty" by Bernard F. Dick. I learned a lot about her that I didn't know in that book. For instance, at age 13 she was hit by a truck, which broke her ankle, knee, and back! She spent four months in bed, immobile, and another five months after that walking around with crutches, then a cane. Although nobody could have imagined she'd walk again, Claudette made a full recovery in a year. Back injuries did plague her on and off throughout her life, however, and she even had to give up a few roles she wanted because of it. Still, her accomplishments both on and off the screen are inspiring.

My top five favorite romantic comedies of Claudette's are: Midnight, It's a Wonderful World, No Time For Love, It Happened One Night, and Palm Beach Story. She's also done a lot of great dramas, historical epics, and thrillers. :)

#3 lanceroten

lanceroten

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:04 AM

I love The Palm Beach Story. Colbert and McRae, along with Vallee are great in that IMO.

#4 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:58 PM

With regards to Claudette and her looks, my own opinion is that she always looked too much like a mom instead of a girlfriend. Most of the time she had a very frumpy hairdoo and this made her look too formal. So while she always looked the same I would say that at 20 she looked 35 and at 50 she looked 35.

The few times she let her hair down (i.e. where it looked natural), she looked younger and less like someone's mother.

The Palm Beach Story is a great movie and very funny.

#5 theoldieslover

theoldieslover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:59 AM

My favorite classic romantic comedy was Palm Beach Story with Claudette Colbert. My favorite more recent romantic comedy (1986) was I love you to death with Kevin Kline-based upon a true story. Many people watch this movie and laugh hysterically. But, once they discover it was a true story; they laugh even more.
I like Palm Beach Story because it's just really cute. But then, I have loved all of Claudette Colbert movies. I love the movies she did when she was in her 20's and I loved the movies she did when she was in her 50's. And, you notice she always looked so young. When she was 35; she looked 20. When she was 45; she looked 30. When she was 55; she looked about 38!!! So, she could portray someone older with make-up or she could still play someone young.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users