We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Saddle Pals and Sidekicks: Favorite Western Supporting Players

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 fredbaetz

fredbaetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,189 posts
  • LocationWashington state

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:08 AM

MissG,
I know you'll enjoy the Western Encore package. I've had it for a few years and watch it quite often. While I enjoy Pat Buttram, he was wonderful as Mr Haney on "Green Acres", I lean a little more to Smiley. There are so many great ones, but I guess if I had to pick one, it would still be "Gabby" Hayes. I remember working on the "Hollywood Palace" in the late 1960's at ABC Hollywood and one week they had Roy Rogers and Dale Evans on as guest and I was talking to Dale and I mentioned "Gabby" and she threw her head back and laughed , saying how wonderful it was working with him in the old days. How much the person you saw on the screen was so different from the real man. He was a well read, very cultured and one of the most educated men she had ever met. He loved to go night clubbing and was always dressed to the nines, but he was so sweet and taught her more about the movie business then anyone else.
Hope you and yours and all the straight shooters out there have a Happy and Healthy New Year... ;)

#22 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts
  • LocationHaleakaloha and Monument Valley

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:28 PM

Lol, I can see that actor with the thick glasses who often played psychiatrists in the movies...I think he played one in *Bringing Up Baby*...he'd be saying "Now my dear Ms. Rohanaka, when did this fixation with Mr. Brennan first manifest itself in your psyche?" :D

Walter rides a thin line perfectly in *The Westerner*, it's his movie all the way I think. Is he crazy or just mean or just selfish or just misunderstood? Or all those things and more? Whatever his "Judge" Roy Bean he was fascinating to watch.

Now to go back and correct my wretched spelling for wonce.

1-sophia-loren--150x150.jpg

#23 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,794 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:45 PM

I wonder how many women could tell Walter he was in their dreams

Ha.. leave it to me.. I bet the head shrinkers would have a field day figuring ME out.. ha.. I am about as boring as you can get so there are NO hidden "dreams" within my dreams.. ha. (I can see it now.. "No really, Mr. Psychiatrist guy.. I just really like Walter Brennan.. AND ice cream.. ha. Oh.. and well.. as for the schoolbus.. I just like to drive large commercial vehicles too") :D

PS: thanks for bringing up old Walt in The Westerner.. there's another great role for him. InTHAT one he almost gets to be somewhat "Stumpy-esque" (sort of) AND still be Pa Clanton too.. the best and worst of both.. all rolled into one.

I guess I just mean he was a low-down MEAN bad guy.. who yet comes off likable and a bit simple, even (at least at the end) and heartbreakingly sympathetic.

Now tell me how he was able to do THAT all in the same movie??

But he DID.

#24 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:38 PM

Howdy, Fred,
When I finally got Encore Westerns in my cable package, it was my introduction to Gene Autry and of course, Smiley as "Frog Millhouse". What a funny pair. I don't know which I prefer, Smiley or Pat Butram, but both made excellent comic foils for Gene and I really have come to love these movies they made.

*Smiley Burnette*
Posted Image

#25 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:36 PM

Howdy, Ro!

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}Howdy there, Miss G!!
>
> One of the things I like most about him is his ability to play so many different KINDS of characters and still come off so TOTALLY believable with each and every one. Just TWO examples (out of so many) would be my beloved "STUMPY" (nobody else COULD have played him so perfectly) and yet.. his Pa Clanton STILL sends shivers down my spine. Talk about your polar opposites.. Oh me.. oh my. And yet.. he owns both those characters to a T.
>

Westerns just would not be the same without old Walt. And he was extremely versatile. He could be soft spoken and reserved, kindly or crotchety, snobbish or down-to-earth and always believable. His old man Clanton scare the willies out of me. :D

> Hey.. did I ever tell you that I once had a dream I was on school bus eating ice cream with Walter Brennan?? Talk about your whacky dreams.. ha. I have NO idea where it came from, but there we were.. just sitting on the bus.. eating a couple of vanilla cones and shooting the breeze. (Woo hoo.. Me and Walter on a bus eating ice cream.... now THAT would be a dream come true for SURE!)

That's quite a dream! I wonder how many women could tell Walter he was in their dreams? :D

Gary Cooper and *Walter Brennan* in The Westerner for which Brennan won an Oscar.
Posted Image

Edited by: MissGoddess on Dec 28, 2011 8:28 PM because Walt won not one but three Oscars.

#26 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:31 PM

> {quote:title=bOb39 wrote:}{quote}Walter Brennen, Andy Divine and "Smiley" Burnette are among the best and favorites of mine, but for me, the best of "em all is George "Gabby" Hayes. My all-time favorite. And he's quite the scene-stealer.
I love Gabby, too and scene stealer is right. He was terrific in *Tall in the Saddle* with John Wayne.

Posted Image

#27 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:29 PM

I'm a big fan of Honey-cutt! :D I love his voice, like butter. He could charm the birds off the trees with it. My favorites include *El Dorado*, *Two Flags West*, *The Big Sky* and his quirky character in *The Lusty Men*. A very foxy fellow, you felt he always knew more than he let on.

James Caan, *Arthur Hunnicutt* and John Wayne (El Dorado)
Posted Image

#28 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:22 PM

I admit I'm not as familiar with Hatton (at least by name) but I know of Andy Clyde and of course the Devine one. :D

*Raymond Hatton* with John Wayne
Posted Image

*Andy Clyde* ® with Whip Wilson
Posted Image

*Andy Devine*
Posted Image

#29 movieman1957

movieman1957

Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis MD

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:00 PM

I posted it last night and then Hunnicutt shows up on "Cheyenne" this morning.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. 

G. Marx.

#30 fredbaetz

fredbaetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,189 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:34 PM

I agree completely about Arthur Hunnicutt, he was one of the very best.
"The Lusty Men" with Robert Mitchum, an excellent film on rodeos.
Also standout performances in such films as:
"The Red Badge of Courage", John Houston's troubled classic.
"The Last Command", one of the best Davy Crockett roles.
His Academy Award nomination for his role in Howard Hawks "The Big Sky "
I am a fan of Walter Brennen, but I prefer Hunnicutt....

#31 mrroberts

mrroberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,614 posts
  • Locationpennsylvania

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:15 PM

Arthur Hunnicut, if all he had ever done was *El Dorado* and that classic Twilight Zone episode he would still go down as one of the greats.

#32 bOb39

bOb39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:30 PM

Walter Brennen, Andy Divine and "Smiley" Burnette are among the best and favorites of mine, but for me, the best of "em all is George "Gabby" Hayes. My all-time favorite. And he's quite the scene-stealer.

#33 fredbaetz

fredbaetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,189 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:21 AM

There were so many of those great cowboy sidekicks, but perhaps the most prolific was "Smiley" Burnette aka "Frog Millhouse. For 20 plus years he appeared as the sidekick to the likes of Gene Autry {they started in films together}, Roy Rogers, Charles Starrett aka "The Durango Kid", Eddie Dean and "Sunset Carson. A talented musician and an accomplished song writer. When he moved from Republic to Columbia in 1946, he made 56 films alone with "The Durango Kid". A wonderful talent and one of the most beloved of the cowboy sidekicks....

#34 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,794 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:50 AM

Howdy there, Miss G!!

What a great idea for a thread. I do love my western "sidekicks" and you picked a great one for your opening post. Walter Brennan has to be my hands down favorite character actor of all time... and westerns were indeed the place he seemed to shine the most. (though he certainly had some really fine moments in many other non-western films as well) One of the things I like most about him is his ability to play so many different KINDS of characters and still come off so TOTALLY believable with each and every one. Just TWO examples (out of so many) would be my beloved "STUMPY" (nobody else COULD have played him so perfectly) and yet.. his Pa Clanton STILL sends shivers down my spine. Talk about your polar opposites.. Oh me.. oh my. And yet.. he owns both those characters to a T.

Hey.. did I ever tell you that I once had a dream I was on school bus eating ice cream with Walter Brennan?? Talk about your whacky dreams.. ha. I have NO idea where it came from, but there we were.. just sitting on the bus.. eating a couple of vanilla cones and shooting the breeze. (Woo hoo.. Me and Walter on a bus eating ice cream.... now THAT would be a dream come true for SURE!) :D

#35 movieman1957

movieman1957

Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis MD

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:41 PM

Arthur Hunnicut

In his own way as adorable and, at times, cranky as they come. He is frequently put upon but does what he is told. He is good and fathfull.

Posted Image

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. 

G. Marx.

#36 Stagecoach1

Stagecoach1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:36 PM

Here are my three favorite sidekicks:

Raymond Hatton who played US Marshal Sandy Hopkins as US Marshal Nevada Jack McKenzie's (played by Johnny Mack Brown) sidekick in the Nevada Jack McKenzie series of Johnny Mack Brown Monogram b westerns. He was also Johnny's sidekick in over 20 more of the Johnny Mack Brown Monograms.

Andy Clyde as Whip Wilson's sidekick in Whip's Monogram b westerns.

Andy Devine as Wild Bill Hickok's sidekick Jingles P. Jones in the TV western series, The Adventures of Wild Bill Hickok. WILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLD BILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICKOK!!!!!
Hey Wild Bill, wait for me!!!

Edited by: Stagecoach1 on Dec 26, 2011 1:55 PM

#37 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 03:00 PM

Western movie fans know that John Wayne, Gary Cooper and all the other western stars would have never gotten along without the presence of countless supporting players...at any rate, who would they ride with, sing with, quarrel with and shoot with if it wasn't for the Stumpy's, the Gabby's and the Smiley's along the trail. Who are some that you think stand out when the dust has settled? They can be sidekicks or villains or barkeeps, cowpokes, stuntmen, saloon gals...from movies or television series, you name them.

If you want to dig deeper, visit b-westerns.com for a thorough listing of western character and supporting players:

http://www.b-westerns.com/pals.htm

Maybe the most famous, certainly the most Oscar award winning western character actor of them all:

*Walter Brennan* (1894-1974) Born in Lynn, Massachusetts, the third child of Irish immigrants. Walter's pop was an engineer and Walter studied engineering himself, then did a little acting in vaudevill, worked as a bank clerk, served in France in WWI, raised pineapples in Guatemala, and made and lost a fortune in real estate before he came to acting. Like a lot of men of his generation that weren't originally from the west, he became a real authority on western lore, always gave the impression of an authentic western type whether loveable or lethal and was never without his trademark irascibility.
Posted Image

Edited by: MissGoddess on Dec 25, 2011 3:11 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users