We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

How do I respond to an Individual in a Thread

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JR33928

JR33928

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:12 PM

>Using your mouse highlight the portion of the post you want to copy. To do that, put your cursor at the beginning of the quote and holding down the right click, highlight the text.

TESTING...i followed your instructions izcutter,i hope this works!!!

well here goes......

Holy cow it works!!! thanks for the instructions izcutter.I'll write them down for future reference.But i still don't understand WHY they make people go through that when a quote tab is sooo much easier.

Edited by: jr33928 on Oct 22, 2013 3:14 PM

#2 lzcutter

lzcutter

Riding Point

• Moderators
  • 12,320 posts
  • LocationCity of the Angels- San Fernando Valley division

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:55 PM

>Unfortunately for me i don't know how to copy and paste so i guess i'll not be doing any quoting.

jr,

It's quite easy:

Using your mouse highlight the portion of the post you want to copy. To do that, put your cursor at the beginning of the quote and holding down the right click, highlight the text.

When you have the text highlighted, hold down the control (ctrl button on the left corner of your keyboard) and the C key.

That will copy the highlighted text.

Then click to reply to the post and that opens the reply window.

Hold the control key down again along with the V key.

That should past the quote into the reply window.

Add the > to the beginning of the quote and go to the end of the quote and hit the Enter key at least three times.

Then start your reply.

Here is a link to a YouTube video showing you step by step. It is for PCs:

And if you are using a Mac:

Hope that helps!
"Movies touch our hearts and awaken our vision, and change the way we see things. They take us to other places, they open doors and minds. Movies are the memories of our life times, we need to keep them alive,"- Marty Scorsese

#3 JR33928

JR33928

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for your answer izcutter.Unfortunately for me i don't know how to copy and paste so i guess i'll not be doing any quoting.I don't know why they make it so hard to use the forum.Every other forum i've ever visited has a quote tab-no need for fancy maneuvering.

Thanks again for your answer izcutter.

#4 lzcutter

lzcutter

Riding Point

• Moderators
  • 12,320 posts
  • LocationCity of the Angels- San Fernando Valley division

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

>Could someone please tell me how to quote a post??

jr,

Copy and paste the quote you want into the reply box.

At the beginning of the quote, add >

At the end of the quote, hit the enter key at least three times and begin your reply.
"Movies touch our hearts and awaken our vision, and change the way we see things. They take us to other places, they open doors and minds. Movies are the memories of our life times, we need to keep them alive,"- Marty Scorsese

#5 JR33928

JR33928

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

Could someone please tell me how to quote a post??
I went to the "help" page looking for an answer,but the "help"page isn't helpful.It told me to click on "quote original" but there is no "quote original"anywhere that i can find on screen.

There used to be a quote tab to click on,but it,along with the emoticons are gone.
An answer would be greatly appreciated.

#6 hlywdkjk

hlywdkjk

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,678 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

Princess -

You got it! Not that I had any doubt. I knew you could get it to work.

Glad to be of help.

Kyle In Hollywood

#7 princessananka

princessananka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

Hey Hlywdkjk!

thank you so much for your very east-to-follow instructions.

I don't know if you'll receive this but you've taught me a valuable little tip.

happy movie-going from your favorite Princess!

#8 hlywdkjk

hlywdkjk

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,678 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

princessananka -

To reply to an individual / post, click on the symbol that looks like a comic strip thought balloon with a green arrow in it found in the post you are replying to. It is the last symbol on the right next to the yellow triangle with the exclamation point.

(If you hover your cursor over the symbol, a message should pop-up telling you what the symbols do - edit, reply, etc.)

Try to reply to my post to see if it works.

Kyle In Hollywood

#9 princessananka

princessananka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

I'm very technical challenged. Many times I want to respond to an individual making an entry on a thread. Although I click on "Respond to this Thread" , my reply just goes into the general discussion. Is there a button I click or a settings I click on? I'm not very technical.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users