We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

The Big Noise(1944)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ERROL23

ERROL23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:45 PM

This was the first Laurel and Hardy film I ever saw years ago so I was thrilled with it.Some feel its just a rehash of old gags from other movies.(Sample,When Ester Howard looks for Ollie sleepwalking with a knife in her hands.Originally used in Oliver The Eighth)

#2 movieman1957

movieman1957

Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis MD

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:04 PM

This one is often considered their worst film or at least close to it. It has been a long time since I've seen it but it wasn't very good, I thought. I remember being a bit hard to watch just because how the boys were aging. However, it had nothing on how they looked in "Atoll K."

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. 

G. Marx.

#3 ERROL23

ERROL23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:48 PM

Alva P Hartley(Arthur Space)is a rich,but eccentric inventor who builds a powerful bomb called The Big Noise to help the Allies win the war.

Alva hires two detectives,Stan(Stan Laurel)and Ollie(Oliver Hardy)to guard it till he can get it to Washington.A gang(Philip Van Zandt,Vera Ann Borg,etc)are out to get the bomb and sell it to the Axis.

Its up to Stan and Ollie to save the day.

This film gets a bad rap.Some people think its not very good,but this was the first Laurel and Hardy film I ever saw and enjoyed it very much.

Very funny scene when Alva serves a meal of the future,a Turkey dinner made out of vitamins.Another good scene when Alvas homicidal aunt(Easter Howard)falls for Ollie and he for her,but Grandpa(Robert Dudley)warns Stan all her past husbands were murdered.Bobby Blake is on hand as Alvas mischief making son.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users