We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Gun Crazy(1950)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kjrwe

kjrwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:33 PM

John Dall is also first rate in the Bette Davis film The Corn is Green.     Yes, pity his film legacy is 'light'.   That happened to many young actors that got there start in the late 40s because after their initial studio contract ended in the 50s,  the studio system was starting to break down (T.V. being a reason),  and studios were a lot more reluctant to sign actors to long term contracts like they did in earlier decades. 

Gun Crazy is terrific,  but note that Peggy Cummings career faded even more so than Dall's.

Oh yes, I forgot about The Corn is Green! Great film with a terrific cast/acting.

I heard that John Dall didn't have a better career because he was homosexual, but there might have been other reasons, like the one you mentioned.

#2 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,737 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:32 PM

It's one of the first noirs I've ever seen (about 13 or 14 years ago). I really like John Dall, not only in this film, but also in Rope and The Man Who Cheated Himself. He could play pretty much any character - the good, the evil, etc. A pity that he didn't have a better career.

The leading lady did a fine job, but she wasn't nearly as memorable as he was.

Anyhow, it's a terrific noir! I've seen it several times.

John Dall is also first rate in the Bette Davis film The Corn is Green.     Yes, pity his film legacy is 'light'.   That happened to many young actors that got there start in the late 40s because after their initial studio contract ended in the 50s,  the studio system was starting to break down (T.V. being a reason),  and studios were a lot more reluctant to sign actors to long term contracts like they did in earlier decades. 

Gun Crazy is terrific,  but note that Peggy Cummings career faded even more so than Dall's.

#3 kjrwe

kjrwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:10 PM

It's one of the first noirs I've ever seen (about 13 or 14 years ago). I really like John Dall, not only in this film, but also in Rope and The Man Who Cheated Himself. He could play pretty much any character - the good, the evil, etc. A pity that he didn't have a better career.

The leading lady did a fine job, but she wasn't nearly as memorable as he was.

Anyhow, it's a terrific noir! I've seen it several times.

• cinemaspeak59 likes this

#4 VivLeighFan

VivLeighFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationIn her room, most likely

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:14 PM

Your wish is granted;   July 16th.

Thank you for telling me!

#5 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,737 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 February 2017 - 12:23 PM

I'm dying to watch this movie! Its looks and sounds so good. I hope TCM will show it soon.

Your wish is granted;   July 16th. 

#6 VivLeighFan

VivLeighFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationIn her room, most likely

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:03 AM

I'm dying to watch this movie! Its looks and sounds so good. I hope TCM will show it soon.

#7 faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationAlphaville

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:08 PM

The film is notable for Peggy Cummins' first appearance -- entering from the bottom of the frame! -- and the unbroken take showing the bank robbery.

#8 JR33928

JR33928

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

Gun Crazy is a GREAT movie!! I found it on YT and immediately recorded it and am glad i did.

#9 BigFanOfClassics

BigFanOfClassics

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

It's excellent film noir.

#10 Philip_marlowe

Philip_marlowe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

I love this movie, a classic. Watching bart(John dall) fall so easily into a life of crime, and how quickly it spirals out if controll. Great film

#11 ERROL23

ERROL23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

Barton Tare(Russ Tamblyn)is a young boy whos hobby is guns.Barton steals one from a hardware store and is caught by the police.After doing time in a reform school and serving in WW2,Barton(John Dall)returns home where his sister,Ruby(Anabel Shaw)and his two friends Dave(Nedrick Young)and Clyde(Harry Lewis)welcome him back.

They take Barton to the circus where Barton meets Annie Starr(Peggy Cummings)a crackshot and her jealous manager,Packet(Berry Kroeger)Packet offers $500. to anyone that can beat her.Barton not only wins the contest,but Annie.Annie is a spoiled tart who wants money at all costs.Barton and Annie go out on a major crime wave,much to the shock of Ruby,Dave,and Clyde.

Co titled,Deadly Is The Female.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users