We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Who Likes James Cagney?

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#21 Bill_McCrary

Bill_McCrary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 11:47 PM

TCM should play more his obscure movies that arent widely played.
hint tcm, hint

They play an awful lot of them, if you've been watching for a couple of years. Be sure to download and print the schedules for the month ahead (or take the "Now Playing" guide. I mark up my schedules like crazy, to try to get everything I've missed before. Things I never had a clue he'd made show up, often between 6 am and 4 pm, when the kiddies ought to be in school!

#22 wheel123

wheel123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:36 PM

ive seen alot of james cagney movies and i like the actor.

not a big guy, not a handsome stud, but he was a strong actor, with charisma, tough, who rarely took crap from anyone in films. he had that look, and a wicked smirk that said dude, dont mess with me.

cagney showed the world that 'size' dont matter. in the old days, he didnt even take crap from women. he pushed them around, slapped them, shoved things in their faces. im curious how that went over 60-70 years ago.

TCM should play more his obscure movies that arent widely played.
hint tcm, hint

#23 Vertigo22

Vertigo22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:29 AM

Bogart and Cagney got along fine. They just had different approaches to film-acting. Bogart thought it was a waste of time, and Cagney believed in it as an art form. Either way, the fire that these two brought to the screen when they were together is surpassed only by Karloff and Lugosi.

And as far as James Cagney goes, he is one of my top favorites. I've yet to see a film of his where he wasn't anything less than brilliant.

#24 HedleyLamar

HedleyLamar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:59 PM

> Cagney ranked up there with the Best of the
> Best!!!! I LOVED him in White Heat and Angels with
> Dirty Faces, as well as The Bride Came C.O.D.
> Everything he starred in (that I've had the pleasure
> of viewing) was great!!!

[iCagney to me was best as a gangster. Roaring Twenties is a favorite, as with the one mention in the quote.I understand that he and Bogie didn't like each other very much. That may be some hollywood "urban lengend". Robinson is my fave of all, though.][/i]

#25 movieman1957

movieman1957

Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,581 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis MD

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:12 AM

Welcome to the board. Cagney turns up on a regular basis with mostly films from the 30's. I like "The Bride Came C.O.D." but I understand Bette Davis hated it.

We look forward to talking with you.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. 

G. Marx.

#26 Rhonda37138

Rhonda37138

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 09:20 PM

Cagney ranked up there with the Best of the Best!!!! I LOVED him in White Heat and Angels with Dirty Faces, as well as The Bride Came C.O.D. Everything he starred in (that I've had the pleasure of viewing) was great!!!

#27 KathleenT

KathleenT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:20 PM

I Love James Cagney! Angels with Dirts Faces really struck a chord in my heart. It was all so believeable. This hardened criminal who would spit in the eye of any law enforcement including the guy who has to pull the lever for the electric chair, and here he does his friend the ultimate favor. I couldn't stop thinking about it. I would love to be able to see James Cagney on the big screen maybe someday they will show some of his films at one of the offbeat theaters that do revivals.

#28 MarkMiller

MarkMiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 03:10 PM

Cagney had a philosophy to not relax when acting. He said that when you relax the audience relaxes; maybe this accounted for the sometimes over the top performances. Just the same I thought he took center stage and kept it. It was easy for me to see why he was a star.

#29 jdb1

jdb1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 12:23 PM

> Liked Cagney in the gangster and action films, but am
> I alone in the thinking about his performances in
> Yankee Doodle Dandy and Man of 1000 faces, I thought
> he was too hammy and over dramatic, don't get me
> wrong but he tries too hard to fill up the screen.It
> also could be that I am 44 and am used to modern film
> delivery.

RTR, you have to bear in mind that in the two films you named Cagney was playing real actors of the past, from a time when "hammy" acting was pretty much the norm. In Man of 1000 Faces, for example, he was playing Lon Chaney, a silent film actor. I think Cagney was attempting to recreate something of the old-fashioned "big" acting style of the 1920s.

When I was a girl and first saw "Yankee Doodle Dandy," I laughed at the way Cagney danced, so stiff-legged, with his backside sticking out. Then I saw the real George M. Cohan in a film and, by golly, that's just the way Cohan danced! In addition, Cohan was an old-style showman, and did everything in a big way, and that's what Cagney was trying to convey.

Despite his very strong screen personality, Cagney was capable of subtle and nuanced performances, and he gave them to us many times.

#30 MikeBSG

MikeBSG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 09:21 AM

I like Cagney a lot, but I noticed a funny thing when I was in college. I would see a Cagney film on TV, like "City for Conquest," and think it (and he) was so-so. Then when I saw the same movie on the big screen, Cagney really seemed wonderful in it. I think his performances are scaled for the big screen, and that he (and we) lose something when he is on the smaller TV screen.

#31 RTRiley

RTRiley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:44 PM

Liked Cagney in the gangster and action films, but am I alone in the thinking about his performances in Yankee Doodle Dandy and Man of 1000 faces, I thought he was too hammy and over dramatic, don't get me wrong but he tries too hard to fill up the screen.It also could be that I am 44 and am used to modern film delivery.

#32 ken123

ken123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:54 AM

> whats the name of the movie where he plays anFBI
> agent? please and thankyou

G - Men .

#33 inglis

inglis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:14 AM

whats the name of the movie where he plays anFBI agent? please and thankyou

#34 MarkMiller

MarkMiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:06 PM

Cagney was part Irish, part Norweigan.

#35 Kinston

Kinston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:11 PM

James Cagney is a favorite of mine because he could really play criminal parts very well. Robert Osborne said that he came from New York City before he became an actor. Public Enemy stands out for me as one of his best movies. I like him in Yankee Doodle Dandy also. I don't know if he was Irish, but this sure comes out in him when he talks, and in other ways.

#36 chevytee

chevytee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:12 PM

TCM played Sinner's Holiday and i misse it! I have yet to see this film.

#37 ken123

ken123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:43 PM

His best roles were as Eddie Bartlett in "The Roaring Twenties ". and as Cody Jarrett in "White Heat". Both were directed by the great and Irish Raoul Walsh. *

* Everyone knows that Irish = Great

#38 overblue

overblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:19 PM

I love Cagney. Never get tired of watching his films. One of the greatest no doubt !

#39 luvujim

luvujim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:06 AM

After falling in love with James Cagney during the 1974 AFI film tribute to him, I watched any movie of his that came on TV. My two favorites are "Angels with Dirty Faces" and, of course, "Yankee Doodle Dandy". Looking at those films now, he was fated to be Rocky Sullivan and the Yankee Doodle Boy as clearly as the sun is fated to rise every morning. He's the real American Idol, and let anybody out there dispute that -- if they can.

#40 sgd

sgd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:53 AM

Everybody loves Jimmy. ^-^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users