We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Who Likes James Cagney?

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#41 movieman1957

movieman1957

Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis MD

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:29 PM

I watched "Lady Killer." What a goofy but fun film. He goes from running a larceny ring to movie star. Some of it seems almost improvised. Cagney drags Mae Clarke out of his room by her hair. Earlier in the movie I had to do a double take as Cagney is sitting down and Clarke is standing next to him. He is hugging her. The film cuts from the dialogue just long enough for Cagney to turn his head and plant a little kiss right on her breast. Then it goes back to the dialogue. Clarke is pretty good too.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. 

G. Marx.

#42 ken123

ken123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:55 PM

"Boy Meets Girl",a Cagney-O'Brien comedy of the thirties,I thought it was very funny!But, I haven't seen it in years!
Cagney was great in "Torrid Zone",but without Ann Sheridan it would only be average!!

#43 MikeBSG

MikeBSG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:01 PM

I have always liked "G-Men" and I watched it last night.

What struck me this time is that in FBI training school, while Cagney proved adept with boxing gloves, he is tossed around pretty savagely in the jiujitsu training. In fact, he leaves the gym utterly bested by Lloyd Nolan. The striking thing to me is that I can't think of a modern movie star who would let himself be so utterly bested on screen. Cagney takes his lumps, but he persists and (of course) proves the best G-Man of all, but he isn't afraid to be weak for a while. And audiences responded to this in him. Is it the movie stars who have changed, or is it the audience?

#44 FrankieFane

FrankieFane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:54 AM

He's amazing in everything he does. He has a great sense of fun and mischief which makes him imminently watchable. I was watching EACH DAWN I DIE and last night and was again impressed with his skills. His breakdown scene in that movie is one for the books. He consistently makes any material he's given shine.

#45 Rickspade

Rickspade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 06:13 PM

I love Cagney! Recently I watched "The Bride Came
C.O.D. for the first time, and it was so funny! He
was an incredibly talented actor.

For all James Cagney fans everywhere, one of his best comedies is on TCM tonight--Torrid Zone, with Ann Sheridan and Pat O'Brien. If you enjoyed The Bride Came C.O.D., you'll love this one; it's fast-paced, with terrific performances, especially by Annie, with whom Cagney has great screen rapport. It's on at 9:00 p.m., PST, so for all you Cagney lovers on the East Coast who have never seen it, set the recording devices because it's definitely worth taping.

#46 classicbuff

classicbuff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:28 AM

Nobody tougher or finer. Watched Public Enemy the other night. Great shot of Cagney waiting in the rain. Watched Taxi on TCM at 5am a few weeks ago. great flick, great performance! Angels with Dirty Faces and The Roaring Twenties, all excellent. Not to mention that he was a hoofer in his day (Yankee Doodle Dandy). Who can forget White Heat (Top of the world, ma!)

#47 Rhondaluvsclassics

Rhondaluvsclassics

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 11:56 AM

I love Cagney! Recently I watched "The Bride Came C.O.D. for the first time, and it was so funny! He was an incredibly talented actor.

#48 nyoka1

nyoka1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 12:28 PM

Watched "Love Me Or Leave Me" a few weeks ago, and he was magnificent in it.

http://greenbriarpic...s.blogspot.com/

#49 Bastogne

Bastogne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:19 PM

IMHO, the best American actor.

#50 TrishF

TrishF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 02:23 PM

You are indeed correct. I absolutely love Cagney. It's hard to pick what he did best...Comedy, Gangster, Musical, Drama....I could go on. *sigh*

#51 JanePowellFan

JanePowellFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:08 PM

Jimmy is more famous than any American president!

#52 katyscar11ett

katyscar11ett

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:27 PM

What an incredible teacher. :-) I used to have to sneak out. lol When I was in grade 5, I used to get caught up in "Matinee" (remember the days?) and never made it to afternoon school, I would say 80% of the time. I was lucky cuz my dad was away and my mom at work and I was home alone. They finally told my parents but by then what could they do? I had a fantastic winter and that contributed, in part, to my love of classic movies.

Johnny, I remember the CBC late nites in the 80s - they had incredible movies when you couldn't see them anywhere else on Canadian TV. I loved that! I was a young mom with little kids and never missed those movies. I think that was the only time CBC was ever worth watching.

Ohce, I totally agree - Cagney WAS hot! And that just contributed to the wonderful whole package!

Scarlett

#53 presicion25

presicion25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:41 PM

Cagney is one of the top definitely. Its hard to choose because all the actors of that era are the best. I do rank Bogart as being possibly the best also but i cannot decide. I may be one of the few younger people(27) who knows that these movies and actors are the cream of the crop and always will be. If i could go back in time and meet these people i would do it in a second. Hollywood today doesnt even compare to these films and actors. I dont like many movies put out today.

#54 MAUREENFORD

MAUREENFORD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:42 PM

Hey You might try afi.com...since it is their award. When I watched that show I was 16..& when he came down the aisle and danced up those steps..i was so proud to love this actor and it brought tears to my eyes..! Then Ragtime! 5 minutes of film and he was riveting!!!

There is a film called "COME FILL THE CUP" 1951 with James Gleason..about a newspaper writer and his fight with alcoholism...only saw it once on AMC..I even taped it (but lost it in Calif.)! What a film! Blood on the Sun..City of Conquest, Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye...

Then his finale in a wheelchair...as Terrible Joe Moran (tv movie), with Art Carney !Beautiful movie to end a remarkable career! THANK YOU... MR CAGNEY..

#55 pktrekgirl

pktrekgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 06:30 PM

I like James Cagney alot.

Among his films there is something for everyone. I think my favorites are "Angels With Dirty Faces", and "Yankee Doodle Dandy".

I've not seen all of his films - or probably even half of them! But all the ones I've seen, I really enjoyed. And even in his 'tough guy' roles, there is just an adorable quality to him that I can't really put my finger on.

#56 partial2noir

partial2noir

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 08:46 PM

He was ok as a tough guy, but I really fell in love with him in "Blonde Crazy" with Joan Blondell.

#57 recipediva53

recipediva53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 10:59 PM

I just love the tough guys!

#58 katyscar11ett

katyscar11ett

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 01:52 AM

Doesn't EVERYBODY? :-)

#59 yogiboo

yogiboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:02 PM

Always loved him. I'm 47 and started watching him as a teen. What a fascinating actor! I used to batlle with myself as to who was my favorite actor from the classic era. Bogie? Cagney? Gable?
Recently I've narrowed it down to Eddie G and Cagney. But Cagney has to be the tops. I recently bought the DVD of "The Public Enemy". Of course I had seen it before but it had been years. He punches his way into Hollywood lore with this film. He is nothing short of mesmerizing! He always said that acting was about looking the camera or the actor in the eye and telling the truth. Tom Powers is indeed the Truth. Nothing rings false to me, regarding this character. Cagney's growing up years spent in NYC's rough (back then) East Side comes through. Everything he ever saw the local mugs do, he incorporates in the characterization of Tom.
Has to be the Best. Eddie G is a *very* close second.

#60 johnnyweekes70

johnnyweekes70

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 05:23 PM

It sounds like both of you had similar experiences to myself. In Canada, in early-to-mid-80s, CBC aired the old Warner Bros. catalogue (or what they picked from it) and it was that package that shaped what I still like, but have long since expand upon. I'd be so tired at school coz I just had to stay up and catch Torrid Zone or The Oklahoma Kid. I always hoped they'd show more of Cagney's early film, which they never did, other than Public Enemy. They switched to Paramount/Universal films when their contract ran out and then I got to see Madame Butterfly, The Phantom President, His Woman, Law and Order, Air Mail, and other obscure early titles from those two studios. Terrific stuff when I only had 15 channels to choose from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users