We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Who Likes James Cagney?

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#81 moviegeek3000

moviegeek3000

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 09:45 AM

"WHY YOU......."

I know all of you dirty mugs are gonna be watching CAGNEY all day today, eh?

6 film marathon.....enough Cags for any of yous wiseguys!!

#82 mandarinparade

mandarinparade

• TCM_allow
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 05:16 PM

I'd rather see an unknown in a biopic of James Cagney. I never knew that about The Godfather II, that would have been a good role for Cagney. I went to a screening of The Godfather last summer; the theater was packed, with a lot of young people in attendance, but also plenty of people like me who saw it when it was originally released.

#83 professorecho

professorecho

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 05:42 PM

I don't remember that interview, but I know at the time of RAGTIME's release he was very energetic and enthusiastic, talking of new roles he was considering and scripts he was reading. It's a shame that none of them came about. Some years later there was talk of a biography film being done about him and he said at the time he thought that the two performers who would do a good job in the role were Mikhail Baryshinikov and Michael J. Fox!

The biggest regret I have about Cagney is that he did not accept director Francis Ford Coppola's invitation to appear in THE GODFATHER PART II. He was offered the role of an old Irish mafia chieftain, a close friend of the character played by Marlon Brando in the first film. Cagney did not want to come out of retirement and so passed up on appearing in what would ultimately become one of the greatest films ever made. The role was re-tailored as an Italian mobster and played by playwright Michael V. Gazzo. We can only imagine how great Cagney would have been playing his last gangster.

#84 mandarinparade

mandarinparade

• TCM_allow
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 07:00 AM

I remember he had diabetes at the end of his life; did you see the interview/documentary (?) where he talked at great length about his life and some of his roles? (I saw this after "Ragtime"). I believe it was filmed at his home. That's the last memory I have of him, and although he was old and not in the best of health he seemed happy. I think during that interview he mentioned he might do another project. (Or maybe he had? Maybe the movie you mentioned--which I have not seen) He's one of my favorite actors (but I have so many) and in my mind's eye he is forever vital and full of fire.

#85 professorecho

professorecho

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 05:29 AM

Mandarin, after RAGTIME, there was talk that he was going to star in a film based on the later years of Bat Masterson, but it never came about. He did one more film, a tv movie called TERRIBLE JOE MORAN from 1984, co-starring Art Carney and Ellen Barkin. He played an elderly man who had once been a prize fighter and was now trying to relate to his adult daughter. Sadly, the movie was not very good at all and Cagney was very ill during the making of it. His voice was so damaged that it was removed from the soundtrack and impressionist Rich Little was called in to dub the entire movie for him. It was a truly sad close to Cagney's career and I've often wished he had just let acting go after RAGTIME, as he was teriffic in that.

#86 mandarinparade

mandarinparade

• TCM_allow
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 09:58 AM

I like James Cagney from the earliest pictures of his I clear through to the last thing I ever remember seeing him in: "Ragtime".

#87 bggalaxy

bggalaxy

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 05:09 PM

I really enjoy Cagney but not for his tough guy gangster rolls but for his light hearted/ musical/comedic rolls.

#88 grblover

grblover

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 10:51 AM

I adore James Cagney. I really got into him the summer I was 12. It was a hot summer so I spent a lot of time down in the basement watching Bill Kennedy at the movies. I lived in Det. and he had a show out of Canada that showed old Warner Brothers movies. He knew Bette DAvis and others as he was an extra in some movies.

#89 professorecho

professorecho

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 01:34 AM

He's my favorite actor of all time and has been since I first discovered his films when I was 14 years old thirty years ago. I don't think anyone embodied the joy of performing more than he did. Even when you read about his troubles with Jack Warner and the less than happy sets he endured, his joy shone through every step in every film. That energy, that mercurial joy of just BEING, was incredible to watch. Very few actors could move the way he moved, a blur, that perpetual dance in each gesture and inflection. You see that in actors who are dancers and you see it in actors who have studied martial arts, like James Coburn or Bruce Lee, that grace about them, that refined balance, it's there even when they are standing still as their world around them is always swirling. Pardon me all you fans of Olivier and DeNiro, but movies by their very nature are supposed to MOVE, not just talk, but run and that's what makes Cagney one of the most exciting, compelling, greatest actors in the history of cinema.

#90 cinemetal

cinemetal

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 06:24 PM

I don't think there is any another actor for whom I will watch ANY film s/he's in, regardless of its reputation. He's just so entertaining and fun to watch.

Oddly, I don't consider him my favorite actor.

#91 suzieakane

suzieakane

• TCM_allow
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 09:42 PM

I absolutely love "City for Conquest!" I remember one morning turning on the t.v. just as it was coming on and I started scrambling around to find a video to tape it. I think Cagney is adorable, and boy can he pack a punch! I love him opposite Ann Sheridan. They make such a good pair.

#92 ih8ldymviebuf

ih8ldymviebuf

• TCM_allow
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 10:34 PM

"Top of the world Ma!"

#93 ladymoviebuff

ladymoviebuff

• TCM_allow
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 08:32 PM

I do! I do! My all-time favorite movie of his is "City For Conquest", next is "The Roaring Twenties", then "Yankee Doodle Dandy".

#94 Guest_Rene_*

Guest_Rene_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2002 - 10:51 AM

Cagney is the best. His performance opposite Doris Day's outstanding portrayal in "Love Me Or Leave Me" was a high point in both their careers. He was so humble when he received the AFI tribute in the 1970's. Even Doris Day appeared on the program and said that a film clip would say best what she felt. They then showed the clip of her singing "You Made Me Love You" from "Love Me Or Leave Me". Very fitting and quite moving. What else would you expect from a class act like Doris?

#95 Guest_Marc_*

Guest_Marc_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2002 - 12:27 PM

I never get tired of Cagney movies from the early 30's. Without getting into his merits as an actor, which were considerable, he was just a likable guy! Besides, his movies haves such incredible energy. They just move! One of my favorite male actors,

#96 Guest_TRIXIE_*

Guest_TRIXIE_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2002 - 05:13 PM

Cagney could do it all! Sucha cool gangster & THEN he could dance like no one I ever saw! A true Class Act - there'll never be another Cagney... No actor today could touch this guy, "You Dirty Rat"! Although, he claimed he never said YDR. TRIXIE

#97 Guest_Nunnery, Beth_*

Guest_Nunnery, Beth_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2002 - 01:53 PM

Who don't like him? He's like the best gangster there ever was. Am I right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users