We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

FOX CINEMA CLASSICS

• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:14 PM

I have a feeling that Kino Lorber might now be getting the more desired Fox Films. Deadline USA (due later this month) for example.

Yes, that makes sense. Probably right.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 CinemaInternational

CinemaInternational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:36 PM

I have a feeling that Kino Lorber might now be getting the more desired Fox Films. Deadline USA (due later this month) for example.

• TopBilled likes this

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:21 PM

TWO NEW TITLES

FIVE GATES TO HELL (1959) - Dolores Michaels, Patricia Owens
GANG WAR (1958) - Charles Bronson, Kent Taylor

(LOOKS LIKE FOX IS HITTING THE BOTTOM OF THE BARELL WITH THESE 2 RELEASES.)

These two titles are in heavy rotation on the FXM Retro channel. I can't imagine there's anyone left who would still want to see them, let alone buy them.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:16 PM

TWO NEW TITLES

FIVE GATES TO HELL (1959) - Dolores Michaels, Patricia Owens
GANG WAR (1958) - Charles Bronson, Kent Taylor

(LOOKS LIKE FOX IS HITTING THE BOTTOM OF THE BARELL WITH THESE 2 RELEASES.)
  • TopBilled likes this

#5 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:19 AM

MAY Releases:

THE GIFT OF LOVE (1958) - Lauren Bacall, Robert Stack
PRINCE OF PLAYERS (1954) - Richard Burton, Maggie McNamara, John Derek, Raymond Massey

No word as to whether these two releases will be pan and scan or widescreen. FOX has been very inconsistent about this.
  • Arturo likes this

#6 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:56 PM

I believe the following title was overlooked for new releases:

THE IRON CURTAIN (1948) Dana Andrews. Gene Tierney

#7 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:54 PM

Apparently these are all old masters before high def screens when everything was pan and scan to fit square TV screen sets.  FOX apparently could care less.  Its unfortunate since originally FOX did such a great job on new releases some time ago but these days its a different story.  It does not look like things will change and its up to TWILIGHT TIME to release these films in their proper ratio.  Unfortunately these discs now sell for about $30 which I find quite pricey so I am very selective in what I buy from this company.

Things have definitely changed since Tom Rothman left the studio. He really understood Fox's history, and he honored it at every turn. 

#8 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:05 PM

I don't get it either. But perhaps all these shoddy releases means a chance later to re-release them "correctly" and make another batch of money during round two.

Apparently these are all old masters before high def screens when everything was pan and scan to fit square TV screen sets.  FOX apparently could care less.  Its unfortunate since originally FOX did such a great job on new releases some time ago but these days its a different story.  It does not look like things will change and its up to TWILIGHT TIME to release these films in their proper ratio.  Unfortunately these discs now sell for about $30 which I find quite pricey so I am very selective in what I buy from this company.

#9 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:25 PM

The Dan Dailey film is in Technicolor.  Lets hope this is a good print.  Many of the FOX Archives color prints that have been released are quite muddy.  FOX is the worst studio releasing MOD'S.  They have botched so many of their classic releases and continue to either pillar box or pan and scan their widescreen films on both their channel and video releases.  Although FOX has released a beautiful anamorphic print on DVD they recently ran the film on their station pillar boxed.  I do not get it.

I don't get it either. But perhaps all these shoddy releases means a chance later to re-release them "correctly" and make another batch of money during round two.

#10 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:40 AM

SIERRA BARRON airs quite often on FXM Retro. But the Dan Dailey title never turns up on cable, so it's a good thing it is finally getting a home video release.

The Dan Dailey film is in Technicolor.  Lets hope this is a good print.  Many of the FOX Archives color prints that have been released are quite muddy.  FOX is the worst studio releasing MOD'S.  They have botched so many of their classic releases and continue to either pillar box or pan and scan their widescreen films on both their channel and video releases.  Although FOX has released a beautiful anamorphic print on DVD they recently ran the film on their station pillar boxed.  I do not get it.

• TopBilled likes this

#11 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:43 AM

MORE FOX TITLES FOR APRIL:

SIERRA BARON(1958) - Brian Keith, Rick Jason, Rita Gam, Mala Powers

YOU'RE MY EVERYTHING (1949) -  Dan Dailey, Anne Baxter

SIERRA BARRON airs quite often on FXM Retro. But the Dan Dailey title never turns up on cable, so it's a good thing it is finally getting a home video release.

#12 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:28 AM

MORE FOX TITLES FOR APRIL:

SIERRA BARON(1958) - Brian Keith, Rick Jason, Rita Gam, Mala Powers

YOU'RE MY EVERYTHING (1949) -  Dan Dailey, Anne Baxter

• TopBilled likes this

#13 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 11:57 PM

I was a very disappointed purchaser of the WOMAN'S WORLD disc when I found out that it wasn't anamorphic.  I still enjoy the movie itself, but there's apparently no way to display the DVD so that it occupies the whole screen of a widescreen TV, except through severely distorting the picture with various "zoom" options.  The undistorted picture can only be shown as a relatively small letterbox display in the middle of a widescreen TV.

My dissatisfaction with the WOMAN'S WORLD disc has discouraged me from buying any other Fox widescreen movies on DVD.

Fortunately TWILIGHT TIME has secured rights to several FOX films such as APRIL LOVE and is presented in a beautiful widescreen edition unlike the FOX dvd. Unfortunately TT releases are a bit pricey. BIGGER THAN LIFE had been released by Criterion yet the FOX channel is still running a non anamorphic edition.  I  took a peak and the print that  FOX telecast was quite muddy unlike the beautiful widescreen edition on Criterion so I do not understand what gives with the FOX channel.  WOMAN'S WORLD is one of my favorites.

#14 BingFan

BingFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:37 AM

... FOX has botched so many of their widescreen releases by offering only pan and  scan on most 1950s titles. TCM  ran a beautiful widescreen print of WOMAN'S WORLD whereas the FOX video release was wide screen but not anamorphic.   

I was a very disappointed purchaser of the WOMAN'S WORLD disc when I found out that it wasn't anamorphic.  I still enjoy the movie itself, but there's apparently no way to display the DVD so that it occupies the whole screen of a widescreen TV, except through severely distorting the picture with various "zoom" options.  The undistorted picture can only be shown as a relatively small letterbox display in the middle of a widescreen TV.

My dissatisfaction with the WOMAN'S WORLD disc has discouraged me from buying any other Fox widescreen movies on DVD.

#15 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:48 AM

Coming in April

Blue Denim. (1959) stars Carol Lynley, Brandon de Wilde and Marsha Hunt.

No news as to whether FOX will release this title as widescreen/anamorphic or pan and scan.  FOX has botched so many of their widescreen releases by offering only pan and  scan on most 1950s titles. TCM  ran a beautiful widescreen print of WOMAN'S WORLD whereas the FOX video release was wide screen but not anamorphic.   

Loved the play, loved the movie,  Brandon de Wilde was such a memorable child actor.  

BlueDenim1.jpg

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#16 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:19 AM

Coming in April

Blue Denim. (1959) stars Carol Lynley, Brandon de Wilde and Marsha Hunt.

No news as to whether FOX will release this title as widescreen/anamorphic or pan and scan.  FOX has botched so many of their widescreen releases by offering only pan and  scan on most 1950s titles. TCM  ran a beautiful widescreen print of WOMAN'S WORLD whereas the FOX video release was wide screen but not anamorphic.   

• LawrenceA likes this

#17 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 02:41 AM

Not any more. Conventions moved to the airport area and most of the celebrities that participate are TV people or others I would not be interested in.  Got most of my autographs going out to special events at hotels.  Was able to meet such people as Teresa Wright, Kim Hunter, Sylvia Sydney, Luise Rainer, John Mills, Richard Todd, Ronald Reagan, Sean Connery, Brian Keith, and on and on.  Been very lucky.  Autograph hunting does not really interest me any more. 

That's rather interesting. Yes, I figured we're in the stage of TV stars from the 60s, 70s and 80s who appear at these conventions now. 

#18 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:24 PM

I think there are some of these fan conventions held in North Hollywood at a hotel formerly owned by Beverly Garland. 

Not any more. Conventions moved to the airport area and most of the celebrities that participate are TV people or others I would not be interested in.  Got most of my autographs going out to special events at hotels.  Was able to meet such people as Teresa Wright, Kim Hunter, Sylvia Sydney, Luise Rainer, John Mills, Richard Todd, Ronald Reagan, Sean Connery, Brian Keith, and on and on.  Been very lucky.  Autograph hunting does not really interest me any more. 

#19 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:17 PM

Not sure how to do this.  It was a head shot c of Havoc from the B'way show SADIE THOMPSON.   Did not know that until Havoc commented on it. Like many autographs I got I only saw Havoc once in person.  They used to have big events in the 90s in Beverly Hills with lots of old time stars attending from USA and Europe.  Sadly many of these favorites are no longer alive.

I think there are some of these fan conventions held in North Hollywood at a hotel formerly owned by Beverly Garland. 

#20 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 04:35 PM

Nice. Maybe you can scan it and upload it so we can see...?

Not sure how to do this.  It was a head shot c of Havoc from the B'way show SADIE THOMPSON.   Did not know that until Havoc commented on it. Like many autographs I got I only saw Havoc once in person.  They used to have big events in the 90s in Beverly Hills with lots of old time stars attending from USA and Europe.  Sadly many of these favorites are no longer alive.

• TopBilled likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users