We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Bonanza: The Lost Episodes

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:11 PM

Terrific "lost episode" on MeTV today, it starred Glenn Corbett and Michael Witney.

Mr. Corbett was a preacher who had once been a gunfighter.

Mr. Witney had a twin brother whom Mr. Corbett had gunned down in his former life.

The episode was a battle of wits between the men - Mr. Witney wanted Mr. Corbett to "come out of the closet" and reveal his true nature.

Mr. Witney baited Mr. Corbett in every possible way.

Mr. Corbett had such blue eyes and Mr. Witney had such green eyes - and their smouldering intensity gave quite a charge to their battle of wits.

In the end, Mr. Corbett did "come out" and Mr. Witney was so grateful - that he decided to become a part of Mr. Corbett's new life.

The fact that Mr. Corbett decided to remain a preacher - and stay married, too - was a very telling development, too.

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#42 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,201 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:10 PM

It's on MeTv at 2:00 today but it's Ina Balin playing the role.  I got it mixed up with another in which Louise appeared.  I'm pleading the effects of my dental work last week; losing all my bottom teeth is more than I bargained for.  

Ina Balin appeared in Season 7's 'Devil on Her Shoulder.' It's another one of the episodes Pat Robertson refused to broadcast.

The Louise Sorel episode is also from Season 7-- it is called 'The Strange One' and it has a similar plot. The main difference is that Sorel's character is a clairvoyant and experiences unholy visions. 

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#43 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:36 AM

If you see the Louise Sorel episode, let us know what you think about it.

It's on MeTv at 2:00 today but it's Ina Balin playing the role.  I got it mixed up with another in which Louise appeared.  I'm pleading the effects of my dental work last week; losing all my bottom teeth is more than I bargained for.  

#44 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,201 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:47 PM

Thank you, TopBilled for your explanation.  The ending credits of the last three seasons say they were filmed at WB/Burbank.  The set looked different from where the 50's and 60's Westerns were shot-the one I'd dearly love to walk through if it's still up-but I'll go by the credits.

That episode with Louise Sorel as the accused witch just aired or is scheduled to this month.  If it hasn't I'll try to see it.  I seem to remember CBN getting Beauty and the Beast for broadcasting but changing some scenes to make it look like Vincent and Catherine were married before her pregnancy.  I'm a Christian but this kind of thing is ridiculous.  Just pass on the program if you object to it.  We don't seem to need unbelievers to shoot us in the foot as we seem to do a great job of it ourselves at times like these.

Thanks for checking the end credits. I just looked at the production information on the IMDb, and you're right-- it was Warners Brothers in Burbank (most of the exteriors were on the backlot, and the interiors were done on stage 27 and stage 28 at Warners). But for some episodes, they also filmed outdoor scenes in northern California and Arizona.

If you see the Louise Sorel episode, let us know what you think about it. 

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#45 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 22 May 2016 - 06:35 PM

Thank you, TopBilled for your explanation.  The ending credits of the last three seasons say they were filmed at WB/Burbank.  The set looked different from where the 50's and 60's Westerns were shot-the one I'd dearly love to walk through if it's still up-but I'll go by the credits.

That episode with Louise Sorel as the accused witch just aired or is scheduled to this month.  If it hasn't I'll try to see it.  I seem to remember CBN getting Beauty and the Beast for broadcasting but changing some scenes to make it look like Vincent and Catherine were married before her pregnancy.  I'm a Christian but this kind of thing is ridiculous.  Just pass on the program if you object to it.  We don't seem to need unbelievers to shoot us in the foot as we seem to do a great job of it ourselves at times like these.

• TopBilled likes this

#46 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,201 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:05 PM

From 1959 until 1970 Bonanza was filmed at Paramount.  "Virginia City" was the set used for "Tombstone" in Gunfight at the O. K. Corral.  From 1970 to the end early 1973 it was made at Warners/Burbank.  This is where most of the "lost" episodes originate from and I always thought the studio change had something to do with that as each studio might have negotiated separate syndication packages. 

Are you sure they moved to Warners?

The 'lost' episodes are the ones that were left out of the original syndication package. The reason they picked certain episodes and left out others had nothing to do with switching to a different filming location. They wanted to syndicate all the ones with Pernell Roberts, because viewers usually remembered Adam having three grown sons (Adam adopted teenager Jamie in the later seasons). And also when they started syndicating them, the show was still in production-- so it was easier to rerun the ones from the early seasons which they called 'Ponderosa' to differentiate them from the later ones that were still being made under the name 'Bonanza.'

When NBC cancelled the series in early 1973, the 'Ponderosa' package reverted back to the original 'Bonanza' title, and all the later episodes that were not in the original syndication package just were never broadcast again. That is, until the late 80s/early 90s when Pat Robertson's Christian Broadcast Network wanted to air them, and Paramount created the second syndication package which it titled 'Bonanza: The Lost Episodes.' 

Incidentally, Pat Robertson found several of the 'Lost' episodes objectionable and anti-Christian. There were maybe two or three 'lost' episodes that stayed lost, because Robertson wouldn't run them-- one was about a woman who had psychic visions, and the townsfolk believed she was a witch (played by Louise Sorel). 

But in 2012, when the Encore Westerns Channel brought them back to television, the ones Robertson didn't air were finally shown again, and those had not been seen since the original NBC telecasts from the late 60s/early 70s.

• rayban likes this

#47 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:09 PM

From 1959 until 1970 Bonanza was filmed at Paramount.  "Virginia City" was the set used for "Tombstone" in Gunfight at the O. K. Corral.  From 1970 to the end early 1973 it was made at Warners/Burbank.  This is where most of the "lost" episodes originate from and I always thought the studio change had something to do with that as each studio might have negotiated separate syndication packages. 

According to the credits James Arness had an increasing hand in the production of Gunsmoke especially after it went to an hour in 1961.  As a protege of John Wayne this is not surprising. This is a natural break in putting together a package as is the change to color in 1966.  Many actors were or quickly became astute businessmen with as much clout behind the camera as in front.  Their pocketbooks and our lingering enjoyment of the product all benefited.        

• rayban likes this

#48 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:51 AM

Ken Curtis

Yes, the early seasons of Gunsmoke are a separate syndication package (sometimes titled Marshal Dillon to differentiate it from the other syndication packages). While Bonanza had two syndication packages, Gunsmoke had three.

The first package is the one you are referring to, the half-hour black-and-white episodes from 1955 to 1960 with Dennis Weaver playing Chester. Incidentally, these were produced at the same time the half-hour radio version was broadcast (and many of the radio scripts were simply reused for the early TV episodes). The second package consists of all the one-hour black-and-white episodes, which were roughly produced from 1960-66 (those have Ken Curtis & Burt Reynolds, after Weaver left). And the third package offers all the one-hour color episodes, made from 1966 to 1975 (with Ken Curtis and Buck Taylor).

Ken Curtis, who played Festus, gave one of television's greatest performances - and the man did it on a weekly basis, too.

I watched him this past weekend in a one-hour black and white episode in which he saved the life of Doc (Milburn Stone) who had gone off - alone - to deliver a far-off woman's baby.

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#49 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,201 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 08:31 AM

MeTv is currently airing the lost episodes of Bonanza as well as the early seasons of Gunsmoke when Chester was a character.

Yes, the early seasons of Gunsmoke are a separate syndication package (sometimes titled Marshal Dillon to differentiate it from the other syndication packages). While Bonanza had two syndication packages, Gunsmoke had three.

The first package is the one you are referring to, the half-hour black-and-white episodes from 1955 to 1960 with Dennis Weaver playing Chester. Incidentally, these were produced at the same time the half-hour radio version was broadcast (and many of the radio scripts were simply reused for the early TV episodes). The second package consists of all the one-hour black-and-white episodes, which were roughly produced from 1960-66 (those have Ken Curtis & Burt Reynolds, after Weaver left). And the third package offers all the one-hour color episodes, made from 1966 to 1975 (with Ken Curtis and Buck Taylor).

• rayban likes this

#50 GregoryPeckfan

GregoryPeckfan

Movie Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts
  • LocationCanada - where we have free press

Posted 07 May 2016 - 11:15 PM

MeTv is currently airing the lost episodes of Bonanza as well as the early seasons of Gunsmoke when Chester was a character.  This is daytime.

• rayban likes this
Peter Fonda and Gregory Peck are my heroes.

#51 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,201 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:19 PM

Today, on "Bonanza: The Lost Episodes" on MeTV, there was an excellent episode that centered on a really old man who was a lonely widower and lived on a farm and discovered two runaway boys who had no parents and were about to be split up.

His attempts to shield them from the law and take care of them himself were truly heartbreaking.

Jack Albertson gave a superlative performance - and the two boys were very, very endearing.

Lorne Greene and Michael Landon were around, but they were mostly cameo appearances.

Is a "lost episode" one that wasn't televised?

That was the 'The Sound of Sadness' from the final (14th) season. Landon wrote and directed it. You're right-- very strong episode. Like the type of stories Landon would do later on Little House and Highway to Heaven.

Every episode of Bonanza was televised on NBC during its initial run, including the 'lost' ones. The reason they are known as 'Lost Episodes' is because when the show was sold into syndication, there were 430 total episodes and only 200 or so were picked for syndication (all of the early ones with Pernell Roberts plus select episodes from the later seasons). It wasn't until the late 80s and 90s, after Greene and Landon died that people were asking to see all of the episodes. So a second syndication package was created with the additional episodes, which were retitled as the 'Lost Episodes.' The ones in the second package hadn't been seen on television since their original broadcast on NBC over twenty years earlier.

But now because all of the seasons have been released on DVD, they really aren't 'lost' anymore. What you are seeing on Me-TV are those episodes that are in the second syndication package. When I created this thread, they were being broadcast on the Encore Westerns channel without commercial interruptions.

Encore aired them six days a week (Monday through Saturday) and played each of the 'lost' episodes three times, and that lasted about two years.

• rayban likes this

#52 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 03:39 PM

Today, on "Bonanza: The Lost Episodes" on MeTV, there was an excellent episode that centered on a really old man who was a lonely widower and lived on a farm and discovered two runaway boys who had no parents and were about to be split up.

His attempts to shield them from the law and take care of them himself were truly heartbreaking.

Jack Albertson gave a superlative performance - and the two boys were very, very endearing.

Lorne Greene and Michael Landon were around, but they were mostly cameo appearances.

Is a "lost episode" one that wasn't televised?

• TopBilled likes this

#53 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,201 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:26 PM

Jarrod, I don't know.

I think I've seen it, because your description of it sounded familiar. 

• rayban likes this

#54 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:18 PM

Was it a Lost episode, or one of the original syndication episodes?

Jarrod, I don't know.

• TopBilled likes this

#55 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,201 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:01 PM

Today, on INSP, I saw a very well- written episode with Tim Considine and Royal Dano as a warring son and father and Dan Blocker as the man who got them back together.

Was it a Lost episode, or one of the original syndication episodes?

• rayban likes this

#56 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:44 PM

Today, on INSP, I saw a very well- written episode with Tim Considine and Royal Dano as a warring son and father and Dan Blocker as the man who got them back together.

The son had been seduced by a gang of cattle rustlers and was attempting to resist their hold on him.

But they told him that once he was a part of them, he could never NOT be a part of them.

Strong homoerotic undercurrent, but episode did not stress it too heavily.

Superb performances by the three principals and the extremely good-looking actor who wanted Tim Considine back.

#57 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,201 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 10:19 AM

Thanks, I forgot about Tim.  I think he was on The Virginian for a time as well which is where I tend to place him.   

Tim Matheson is currently 67. According to wiki, Mitch Vogel is 59 and still living (he would be the youngest cast member). Apparently, Mitch quit show business in the late 1970s...but Tim has had a long screen career and is still working in Hollywood.

• rayban likes this

#58 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:35 PM

Thanks for the update. I am not sure about Mitch Vogel, but Tim Matheson is still alive...he played Griff during the show's final season.

Thanks, I forgot about Tim.  I think he was on The Virginian for a time as well which is where I tend to place him.   

• TopBilled likes this

#59 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,201 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:06 PM

David Canary, who played Candy, has just died. Unless Mitch Vogel is still alive he was the last regular member of the cast.

MeTV now has these "lost " episodes running instead of the regular ones.  They are simply the last two or three seasons of the show filmed at WB rather than Paramount where the other seasons were made.  Unfortunately, MeTV has commercials so they will be heavily edited whereas on Encore we got the whole episode without them.

Thanks for the update. I am not sure about Mitch Vogel, but Tim Matheson is still alive...he played Griff during the show's final season.

#60 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:06 PM

David Canary, who played Candy, has just died. Unless Mitch Vogel is still alive he was the last regular member of the cast.

MeTV now has these "lost " episodes running instead of the regular ones.  They are simply the last two or three seasons of the show filmed at WB rather than Paramount where the other seasons were made.  Unfortunately, MeTV has commercials so they will be heavily edited whereas on Encore we got the whole episode without them.

• TopBilled likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users