We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Favorite film soundtracks or film songs

• Please log in to reply
387 replies to this topic

#381 StBartsActor

StBartsActor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:50 AM

My all time favorites are Two For The Road & Picnic. Then again there are all those wonderful Max Steiner, Erich Korngold scores in the 40's.

#382 EugeniaH

EugeniaH

Advanced Thinker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

I thought of more soundtracks I like. These are from more recent movies -

Soundtrack from *The Black Stallion*
*Glory* (Matthew Broderick) - actually, I remember liking some of the music in this movie, but I don't think there was a soundtrack released...
*Far and Away* (Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman)

As for singles from a movie, I give a vote for the song "To Sir, with Love", performed by Lulu, from the movie of the same name.

Edited by: EugeniaH on Jun 29, 2012 9:44 AM

"It's easy to quit, but it's better to fight." - B.F. Fulton

#383 misswonderly3

misswonderly3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,231 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:28 AM

I love movie soundtracks ! Music is so important to film.

There are so many, I don't know where to begin, but here's a start:

Nino Rota's music, almost all of it. He wrote the famous score for *The Godfather*. Perfect musical match for the themes and mood of the movie.
Most people are familiar with that, but perhaps less aware of all the great music he wrote for Italian films, notably Federico Fellini's work.
His scores for *8 1/2* and *Amarcord* in particular perfectly complement those movies, and are also wonderful compositions in themselves. I'm happy to say I have the soundtrack recordings for both.

I also enjoy the music from Woody Allen's movies. Almost always jazz, sometimes classical. One of the most famous opening scenes ever is the first few minutes of *Manhattan* , in which cinematographer Gordon Willis and editor Susan Morse somehow combine shots of fireworks exploding over the skyline of New York with George Gershwin's stirring Rhapsody in Blue.

"....What is it?"

"The stuff that dreams are made of."

#384 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,397 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:19 AM

OMG, I have so many soundracks, it takes up over 2/3rds of my music collection. I have both LP and CD soundtracks. Even specialty tapes like "Many Moods of Henry Mancini" ( 8 track tape set) that has selections like "Pink Panther", "Mr Lucky" and "Hatari".

In the early 1970's I got 2 volumes of the Time/Life Music "As You Remember Them" that has selections like "Theme From Picnic", "The Odd Couple" (movie), "Two For The Road" and many more.
The "Popeye" soundtrack showed how BAD the movie remix is. Record has much better music but the same unintelligible lyrics. LOL!

My oddest would be "Damian, Omen II"
Most colorful is "Harper Valley P.T.A." on *green vinyl* LP
Posted Image

Some you wouldn't think of like LP soundtrack of "Roller Boogie", "F.I.S.T.", "Foul Play" and "The Swarm".

Is this a mix bag or what? :)

Edited by: hamradio on Jun 29, 2012 12:21 PM

#385 EugeniaH

EugeniaH

Advanced Thinker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

Great posts, all. Actually, I'm doubly glad I started this topic because, as a music lover, I can get new ideas and try and listen to some of these soundtracks/songs.

I was thinking further on what I wrote about *The Graduate*. For me, here is a great example of how music enhances a movie. Benjamin Braddock (Dustin Hoffman) is at a crossroads in his life because he's graduated from college and he doesn't know what to do with this life, despite the enormous pressures from family and friends. Simon and Garfunkel's moody, "deep" tracks help pull the viewer in and identify with Braddock's confusion. One of the iconic scenes in this movie shows him lying on his raft in his pool ("drifting", symbolically), to the song "The Sounds of Silence". The scene was only this, and the song, played from beginning to end. Not much action, no dialogue, yet it was so powerful.

Here's the YouTube clip:

#386 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,889 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

The very first soundtrack that I fell in love with is Alfred Newman's music for "The Egyptian." It is such a beautiful score and, fortunately, it's available on CD now. Because of this movie, Mr. Newman became my all-time favorite composer for the movies. Of course, there are others that I like, but this one holds a special place for me, since it was the first one that I really noticed.

Terrence.

#387 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,055 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

I have always stated that *The Wizard of Oz* had one of my favorite soundtracks and was ROBBED at the Acadamy awards! Otherwise, my favorite soundtracks are from movies that some in this forum wouldn't consider "classic". Others are.

*On The Waterfront* : Leonard Bernstien's score holds up well enough to be featured on the programs of many major symphony orchestras

*A Clockwork Orange* : Walter (now Wendy) Carlos does a masterful job of recreating time-worn and long beloved classical masterpieces on his array of electronic devices.

*Ocean's Eleven (2001)* : Dave Morse manages to successfully mix "traditional" cool jazz vibes with modern instrumentation. Often minimalist but effective, it's the best he's done so far.

*1969/Easy Rider* : I agree with you on the first, and it fits right in with RIDER'S soundtrack

*That Thing You Do* : This WONDERful Tom Hanks directed film takes place in 1964, but doesn't use any of the music from that period. However, whomever wrote the music being used did succeed in capturing the sound and energy. ANY of the tunes played in this movie would not have been out of place in '64, and could have even become big hits.

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#388 EugeniaH

EugeniaH

Advanced Thinker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:04 AM

We've touched on this topic a little in the fairly recent "American Graffiti" thread, but when I searched further I didn't see a recent thread specifically devoted to this topic.

And if this subject has already been done to death, the thread will simply die a quick death in this high-traffic forum. ;)

What are people's favorite soundtracks, or specific songs from films? For me, the ones that immediately come to mind are:

The Graduate soundtrack (1968) - Songs by Simon and Garfunkel, one of my all-time favorite groups.

The Passion of Joan of Arc soundtrack - the 1928 silent film had music added by the group Voices of Light. A musical religious experience if ever there was one.

1969 - the movie wasn't so great (starring Kiefer Sutherland, Robert Downey Jr. and Winona Ryder), but the soundtrack had great 1960s songs, from Jimi Hendrix, Moody Blues, etc.

I'm sure I could add more later...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users